• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima coming to PC May 16th

yurinka yurinka

Keep up the good fight man. I'm sure your dedication to Sony's box is gonna pay off in the long run.

captain-apollo-battlestar-galactica.gif

Kabelly

Everyone should play this. So good.

You have been able to do that since 2020. The PS5 version is brilliant, this doesn't really seem to add anything new (except for DLSS and such).
I didn't want to buy a PS5 and still don't want to buy a PS5. I bought a 3080 instead. So far I've managed to be content without a PS5 because most of the major games released for PS5 this gen have come out on steam at this point now. TLOU Part II will probably come out eventually. I'll replay that in full spec. Last time I played it was on PS4 once. The only one I'm personally missing is Demon Souls but I have every other FROM game to play.

I just had a flashback to vfx_veteran saying his contacts said PS games were all coming to PC and people thought he was crazy.
V VFX_Veteran said a lot of things that rustled people's jimmies. Not only on the PC port side of things, but espousing Baldur's Gate 3 as a potential GOTY contender amongst other things long before it was in the discussion.

Shrek 2 Singing GIF by PeacockTV

I should try and catch up with him, haven't talked to him in a while, I'm pretty sure I'm friends with him on Steam.

edit: I was wrong, I'm not friends with him on Steam. I wonder what he's been up to?

Last edited:

Zathalus

V VFX_Veteran said a lot of things that rustled people's jimmies. Not only on the PC port side of things, but espousing Baldur's Gate 3 as a potential GOTY contender amongst other things long before it was in the discussion.

I should try and catch up with him, haven't talked to him in a while, I'm pretty sure I'm friends with him on Steam.
He said a lot of things that were true and accurate, but then he followed that up with a ton of really dumb comments such as claiming the PS6 wont be as powerful as a 3080.

daninthemix

edit: I was wrong, I'm not friends with him on Steam. I wonder what he's been up to?
What a hero he was. Sony fanboys can be a truly obnoxious bunch but he was always there, constantly applying pressure to them, making them uncomfortable about the future. A great man.

Senua

He posts on beyond3d sometimes

yurinka

This may have been the case, but there's no indication to think that it's that way now. Especially with the big-wigs talking about PC being a major focus for them moving forward. Unless you have some insight that nobody else does?
Yes, there's the indication of this being what they have been doing and what they said multiple time that is what they plan to do and that they are happy with it.

You can see this happening already when you see Steam hit a record 34 million concurrent users last week, and PC GPU sales going up last year while console sales went down. With missing their target by 3 million users. Who is to say those 3 million users didnt go to PC and were responsible for the PC GPU increase? Everyone here told me that most people wont switch to pc. well, it doesnt take most people. a small 10% drop in sales or missing sales forecast caused their CEO to declare that their business sucks ass, that PS execs dont know what they are doing and that they need to reevaluate their entire business strategy. again, sony sold 22 million units, but because they wanted to sell 25 million, and didnt, it caused that massive stock price drop, and caused them to layoff almost a thousand people. thats it. a 10% drop cut into their profit margins and caused all the commotion. I literally called this.

Sony and MS execs have no one but themselves to blame. Sony has ported pretty much every exclusive to PC in the last few years. i think only gow ragnorak, gt7 and spiderman 2 are left going back all the way to 2017. Thats like 15 exclusives games that have been ported. HZD, Uncharted lost legacy, GOW 2018, Spiderman 1, Detroit, Days Gone, Death Stranding, TLOU2 (Soon), GoT, Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet, HFW, TLOU1, Miles. Basically 90% of their lineup with Nixxes porting everything in months, they will soon be day one. Sony wont have nixxes waiting around sitting on their asses just to appease Bryank.

The thing is they are such idiots that they saw MS effectively go third party because of these same retarded decisions to put games on PC, and are following in their footsteps.
On top of hardware just another reason the pro is happening

Checkerboard though. Plus 60fps is just the beginning
I think the reason it doesn’t have u locked frame rates on ps5 is cause it came out almost a year before the vrr update and they never went back to update it. Maybe they will unlock it on the pro

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Maybe on their own storefront
Nah, still suicidal. The only benefit is they get to keep 100% of the profits so no 20-30% cut to Steam, but this comes at the expense of much lower sales because no Steam. To top it all off, they risk losing a few millions of potential PS+ subscribers. Absolutely not worth it unless they can guarantee PC brings in like 8M+ sales without gutting PS5 sales.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

He said a lot of things that were true and accurate, but then he followed that up with a ton of really dumb comments such as claiming the PS6 wont be as powerful as a 3080.
What a hero he was. Sony fanboys can be a truly obnoxious bunch but he was always there, constantly applying pressure to them, making them uncomfortable about the future. A great man.
He was right about all the PC ports. when he was gabbing about them it was either when there were no ports yet, or it just started with Horizon or Days Gone. I do remember him saying LOU will come to PC and he got grilled for it like that would never happen in a million years. I dont remember the other stuff he said, but he was always in tech/spec kinds of threads talking a lot of spec talk that goes above my lame brain, but he was 100% right about lots of PC ports coming.

Nah, still suicidal. The only benefit is they get to keep 100% of the profits so no 20-30% cut to Steam, but this comes at the expense of much lower sales because no Steam. To top it all off, they risk losing a few millions of potential PS+ subscribers. Absolutely not worth it unless they can guarantee PC brings in like 8M+ sales without gutting PS5 sales.
Oh I agree unless the pro is far more powerful than we are expecting they would kill the ps market if they did this

Gaiff

Oh I agree unless the pro is far more powerful than we are expecting they would kill the ps market if they did this
Pro would change nothing. That’s a suicidal business model regardless of the hardware they have out there.

Fredrik

I wouldn’t say so if the pro was somehow 5090 level I don’t think many would go to pc for it in that instance
I wouldn’t buy a Pro, the whole Playstation platform is just about timed exclusivity now, not worth investing in new hardware just for that.

They opened Pandora’s Box. Not sure it can be closed.

Pro is out of the question but they have a new chance next gen, if they start doing proper exclusives again I’ll buy a PS6. But if they keep doing PC ports I’ll be on PC because there I make own choices on hardware upgrades and visual/performance settings and have mods, for me it just suits me better.

Good time to be releasing with the popularity of Shogun atm

Great point!

In reality I think they've missed timed this by a few weeks. The game really needs to be out already to catch the full buzz

We'll see how Rise of the Ronin does, though I don't think it is going to be compelling enough to meet the buzz.

The amount of marketing Sony should be doing for RotR and GoT right now should be significant.

They should be giving buzz about the Ghost of Tsushima movie now too. It seems like they're always behind on these things.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy a Pro, the whole Playstation platform is just about timed exclusivity now, not worth investing in new hardware just for that.

They opened Pandora’s Box. Not sure it can be closed.

Pro is out of the question but they have a new chance next gen, if they start doing proper exclusives again I’ll buy a PS6. But if they keep doing PC ports I’ll be on PC because there I make own choices on hardware upgrades and visual/performance settings and have mods, for me it just suits me better.
Even in the instance where the pro is somehow as strong as a 5090 you still wouldn’t get it?

GymWolf

So another lazy port with nothing more than basic ass pc stuff like ultrawide and shit? Or they added something over the console version like better textures or lights?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Let's not get crazy here, ps6 is probably gonna surpass a 4090 in raw power...i mean i hope so.
I hope next gen systems do. 4090 released on Q4 2022. I know PCs always have a leg up in pure specs even for brand new consoles (not like the old days where a console could do some clever shit for $200). But by the time PS6 or Series Y comes out in in a bunch of years, I'd expect they can beat out a 5 year old GPU by then! They better. Googling it, PS5 and Series X equivalent gpus came out 2 years before the consoles.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Let's not get crazy here, ps6 is probably gonna surpass a 4090 in raw power...i mean i hope so.
I do have hope because I like owning multiple gaming platforms, but I seriously doubt it will if they plan to stick to the traditional $500 price point. Also hope consoles next gen have a similar scaling solution like DLSS.

GymWolf

I do have hope because I like owning multiple gaming platforms, but I seriously doubt it will if they plan to stick to the traditional $500 price point. Also hope consoles next gen have a similar scaling solution like DLSS.
We can only hope that amd is gonna make something similar.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I wouldn’t say so if the pro was somehow 5090 level I don’t think many would go to pc for it in that instance
Do you seriously think most game on PC because of the performance when the average rig sports a 3060?

I feel like I might have missed some context to this post but...what?! Consoles won't even be as powerful as a 4090 for probably another cycle or two.
I feel like I might have missed some context to this post but...what?! Consoles won't even be as powerful as a 4090 for probably another cycle or two.
I was coming up with an obtuse hypothetical to counter the above guys theory of people moving to pc in a day and date situation not cause of anything realistic. Your wrong about the ps6 though the 7090 will be out then the ps6 should be around a 6080 give or take a bit

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hope next gen systems do. 4090 released on Q4 2022. I know PCs always have a leg up in pure specs even for brand new consoles (not like the old days where a console could do some clever shit for $200). But by the time PS6 or Series Y comes out in in a bunch of years, I'd expect they can beat out a 5 year old GPU by then! They better. Googling it, PS5 and Series X equivalent gpus came out 2 years before the consoles.
Consider the 4090 still costs about 3-4x more than one of these console on its own (on newegg I saw some refurbs going for $1,899), let alone for the complete system, and the biggest problem console have is power consumption and dissipation.
People expect consoles to be $499 or so and not to be much bigger than an XSX or a PS5 and even a PS5 had it going most against it. Had they launched something like the Slim or smaller at launch it would have been less mocked (it did not kill it but it was at the top end of what is bearable for the mass market).

What the consoles can do is to provide a stable set of specs and tools/libraries all developers can make an assumption on and it can help drive adoption. For example, DirectStorage let alone PS5 I/O custom unit were helped by a console platform that did not have to support multiple hardware vendors and generations of their HW (special BC modes built in the HW can make compatibility easier without hampering native development).

What this might allow is for console makers to add a bit more complexity in the programming model, something only exposed to the developers that have the desire and/or need to go a bit closer to the metal, that allows a greater than expected based on pure numbers speed up. Yes, that includes up scaling solutions like DLSS (which are already available on PC).

Time to Triangle might increase again, following the terminology Cerny used, partially reversing the changes done for PS4 which brought it to 3 months and PS5 which brought it down to 1 month… I do not expect a puzzle as complex as PS2 or PS3, but not sure there is much more you can unlock by just adding CUs and bumping the clock speed.
With 5nm and below (due to limits with EUV equipment), the die size hits a pretty hard limit at 400 mm2 (which is already bigger than console chips target anyways) and the road after 7nm is even slower than the road that led to 7nm so you cannot expect miracles in terms of transistors density or super expensive solutions to connect multiple dies in a way that software can reasonably pretend it is a single monolithic chip (think M1/2/3 Ultra chips).

Look at the multi-GPU rendering patent by Cerny, not sure it will be easy to max its performance without facing the complexity of having multiple parallel discrete GPU cards.

Fredrik

Even in the instance where the pro is somehow as strong as a 5090 you still wouldn’t get it?
Power is one thing but if it had performance of a highend Nvidia card and 7800X3D CPU and allowed full file access for mods and had the settings menus from PC and no online paywall. Yeah then it would be interesting no doubt.

But realistically, the only reason for me to have a Playstation at this point is to not have to wait for PC versions. That’s what it has boiled down to lately. Sony has essentially made their platform all about timed exclusivity now, and for me that’s not enough.

Power is one thing but if it had performance of a highend Nvidia card and 7800X3D CPU and allowed full file access for mods and had the settings menus from PC and no online paywall. Yeah then it would be interesting no doubt.

But realistically, the only reason for me to have a Playstation at this point is to not have to wait for PC versions. That’s what it has boiled down to lately. Sony has essentially made their platform all about timed exclusivity now, and for me that’s not enough.
I see your 2nd paragraph clarified this for me. On my end I just like physical media and steel books so it’s always a ps for me

Top Bottom