• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

Ever consider that maybe they just don't like those kinds of games?
Indie isn't a genre. So you can't really say "they just don't like those kinds of game," unless you're telling me these people will ONLY play big budget titles. In which case, I don't think that's an opinion above criticism at all. That's a pretty dumb limitation on the types of games a person plays. There are compelling indie titles in every genre.

Amir0x

Banned
*My list on both sides is not complete and I just went with retail releases.

It is clear, Microsoft packed up 2 years before Xbox One was released and changed focus very early, while Sony was releasing 3 games within a month of PS4's launch, 2 were new IPs and one huge selling franchise.

Next year will be far better and being the 20th Anniversary I expect something a bit more.

This is an excellent point that fails to get mentioned often enough. Both Microsoft and Sony made calculated decisions - MS decided to abandon last gen development much more quickly with occasional nods to cross gen, and Sony decided to ensure that PS3 owners were thoroughly satisfied right up until the end of its life.

Which isn't to say there isn't perfectly reasonable debates to be had about which strategy was better, but for my money I'd say I prefer Sony's method. Because with Sony that means I know I can expect the full life of the console to be supported, and with MS I have to be a little less sure I'll be getting big exclusives by the end.

Compounding these issues, Sony had several more big AAAs scheduled for this year and a few were either delayed or cancelled outright.

So in terms of AAAs Sony had a soft year with PS4, no doubt. (although calculating the entire library, they have significantly more 80+ metacritic games on PS4 than either XBO or Wii U had in its first year). But when you understand the reason why, it definitely does not make Sony seem complacent or out of touch.

It just makes it seem like they chose a separate viable strategy and happened to have bad luck with their AAA schedule this year a few times.

orthodoxy1095 said:
Indie isn't a genre. So you can't really say "they just don't like those kinds of game," unless you're telling me these people will ONLY play big budget titles. In which case, I don't think that's an opinion above criticism at all. That's a pretty dumb limitation on the types of games a person plays. There are compelling indie titles in every genre.

THANK you brother! Saying "I don't like indies" reveals one as someone completely detached from reality and too stubborn to actually evaluate what their words mean.

Without a doubt they would discourage talk about other platforms, they have a deal with Sony in place. So like all timed exclusive type things, that means you can't talk about other versions. Plus IIRC I think Sony helped them out a bit during the flood mess, but I can't be sure.

Considering HG though already said they couldn't really work much on even the PC version right now until the PS4 version is done, I do think the exclusivity window will be considerably longer than most timed exclusivity deals of this type (3-to-6 months typical; I'm thinking it'll be 6mo to 1yr in this case).
Is it actually a timed exclusive? I was under the impression that it was more of a de facto exclusive, with no official deal in place, for just the reason you mentioned.

These days, everyone seems to think porting is a trivial process, and all titles will automatically come to all platforms day and date unless money changes hands. I don't think that's actually true at all, especially when you're talking about devs who aren't the size of EA/Acti/Ubi. While the move to x86 likely made porting easier than it has been in the past, I don't think it magically happens all on its own.

Amir0x

Banned
Is it actually a timed exclusive? I was under the impression that it was more of a de facto exclusive, with no official deal in place, for just the reason you mentioned.

These days, everyone seems to think porting is a trivial process, and all titles will automatically come to all platforms day and date unless money changes hands. I don't think that's actually true at all, especially when you're talking about devs who aren't the size of EA/Acti/Ubi. While the move to x86 likely made porting easier than it has been in the past, I don't think it magically happens all on its own.

It's definitely timed exclusive according to Hello Games.

They can't mention the XBO version, but I suspect no such version actually exists yet anyway. I think when the PS4 version wraps and the PC version wraps, you'll probably see about a 8-12 month gap until it releases on XBO. So longer than a typical timed exclusive, but by no means forever. Phil Spencer has gone on record saying he wants No Man's Sky on XBO. Since Hello Game's already specified they only have a timed exclusivity deal, I can't imagine why Spencer wouldn't ensure it happened once that window closes.

Missed this one:
The ever present threat of the arrogant Sony boogieman we must all be vigilant of. Never forget.
I find it amusing how we're constantly reminded to be ever wary of "arrogant Sony" because they kicked in over $300 towards my new console nearly a decade ago, yet we're all supposed to forgive and forget Microsoft's shenanigans from only a year ago, when they bragged about not needing gamers anymore because the research they did told them that even though real gamers would hate their product, most people were dumb enough to buy it anyway.

XBox One: Designed for people who don't know any better.™

It's definitely timed exclusive according to Hello Games.
That link is third-hand, and the second-hand article doesn't mention anything about a timed exclusivity deal; only that it will come to PC after PS4. The only reason I've ever heard given for that is the one you gave initially; they're too tiny to do more than one version at a time.

Although, I think I have a digital sub to Edge, so I'll look over the article and see what Sean really said to them in the interview. :)
Edit: Guess I let it lapse. Oh well.

charsace

MS is by far Sony's toughest competitor. They forced Sony into releasing an expensive console that lost them a lot of money. Nintendo and Sega couldn't do this.

MS is by far Sony's toughest competitor. They forced Sony into releasing an expensive console that lost them a lot of money. Nintendo and Sega couldn't do this.
Err, exactly how did they "force" Sony to do that?

I very much doubt the original XBox was on Sony's collective mind when they started designing the PS3. Hell, it may not have even launched at that point. Rather, Kutaragi wanted to make the Bugatti Veyron of consoles, and that's exactly what he did. He stuffed in every bit of go-fast tech he could lay his hands on, and when he saw the BOM, he decided to sell it significantly below cost just so people could afford it, again, just like Bugatti did with the Veyron.

Microsoft challenges Sony on hardware, online services and marketing.

Nintendo challenges Sony on software innovation and handhelds.

No one forced Sony to create the PS3 and release it at that price. That was all them.

Liberty4all

Banned
Welps flagging this one for sure.

Lots of interesting feedback (in thread) from the "hardcore" market in response to the article too.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Sony needs to strengthen a couple of their first party teams and rethink their advertising.

Guerrilla has been making doozies since KZ2 and Evolution is clearly understaffed for the projects they're trying to tackle.

Less artsy live action ads, more straight up gameplay clips. Some games deserve to be shown off on TV.

Also, don't get greedy. You already got a paid subscription service. Pack in more value in those holiday bundles dammit.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Missed this one:

I find it amusing how we're constantly reminded to be ever wary of "arrogant Sony" because they kicked in over $300 towards my new console nearly a decade ago, yet we're all supposed to forgive and forget Microsoft's shenanigans from only a year ago, when they bragged about not needing gamers anymore because the research they did told them that even though real gamers would hate their product, most people were dumb enough to buy it anyway.

Yeah, I am really confused by how "arrogant Sony" is a threat you ought to watch out for for years and years while MS needs a year of believing in Phil Spencer to erase everything.
Not that MS is a company who made the embrace, extend, and extinguish slogan theirs, a convicted monopolist, and to this day they still ll have the guts to say that they just wished they could have had a conversation with gamers about DRM, but their 180s are true proof they listen to consumers/have a good 2-way dialog with people (or rather they ignored the complaints until it affected the pre-orders).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The lack of exclusives argument annoys me. Just look at the last 2 years

ICO Collection
Jak and Daxter: Collection
MLB 12: The Show
Starhawk
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Killzone Trilogy
LittleBigPlanet Karting
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
MLB 13: The Show
God of War: Ascension
The Last of Us
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Gran Turismo 6

Xbox 360

Forza Horizon
Halo 4
Dance Central 3
Fable: The Journey

Forza Horizon
Gears of War: Judgment

It is clear, Microsoft packed up 2 years before Xbox One was released and changed focus very early, while Sony was releasing 3 games within a month of PS4's launch, 2 were new IPs and one huge selling franchise.

Next year will be far better and being the 20th Anniversary I expect something a bit more.

This is similar to how Sony handled PS1 and PS2 too and as Sony got more studios over time the situation kept getting better and better. I have to admit that it makes me feel a little bit better when investing money on PlayStation consoles (not that I only buy their consoles, but their good platform support is helpful in making sure I try to get them at launch).

W.S.

The lack of exclusives argument annoys me. Just look at the last 2 years

ICO Collection
Jak and Daxter: Collection
MLB 12: The Show
Starhawk
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Killzone Trilogy
LittleBigPlanet Karting
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
MLB 13: The Show
God of War: Ascension
The Last of Us
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Gran Turismo 6

Xbox 360

Forza Horizon
Halo 4
Dance Central 3
Fable: The Journey

Forza Horizon
Gears of War: Judgment

You put Forza Horizon twice. The Splatters, Battleblock Theater, and State of Decay were also really good downloadable titles so I wouldn't leave those out for the 360 just because they weren't retail.

With regards to the PS3 list, there's no doubt that Sony put in a lot of support towards the end of the cycle but that also came at it's detriment due to having TOO many releases competing with each other. Games like the Puppeteer and GT6 would have been better off as PS4 launch/post launch titles since those would have evened out Sony's lineup for 2014 a bit better. Then there are other examples of games like PS All Stars no longer being supported and the Ratchet & Clank/God of War/LittleBigPlanet games being just as guilty as MS franchises for being "milked to death".

MLB The Show is something of a special case since Sony has the exclusive license to it but it's also a sports title so yearly releases are to be expected.

I don't know what audience such statements are aimed at.

Try "Shareholders". Either way, it's not like it's hurting anyone. Almost all of 2015s games are focused on the "Core" from what I can tell (Bloodborne, Uncharted, The Order, Tomorrow Children). It's not like they've announced anything that suddenly implies "OMG THEY'VE FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE GAMERS". If anything they're talking more about a diversification of game line up and better deals to push them into more homes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Uh...what? Xbox was at 25 million and PS2 was at 100 million when Krazy Ken was thinking up the Cell. The entire problem with the PS3 wasn't that they were looking at the 360. The issue was they weren't looking at the 360 enough!

Coxy

A "dedicated" PS3 gamer would have a PS4 already, right?

nope, I bought PS3 for stuff like Valkyria and Yakuza, PS4 has jack shit for me right now

I bought hundreds of games, but those were the kind of thing I REALLY wanted that made me get on board.

Percy

Banned
Missed this one:

Oh dude... did you think I was serious? :p

Biker19

Banned
"Sony hasn't dropped the price yet? They're so arrogant!"

I wonder if they realize that Sony isn't as "hugely rich" as they used to be?

Missed this one:

Yeah, I am really confused by how "arrogant Sony" is a threat you ought to watch out for for years and years while MS needs a year of believing in Phil Spencer to erase everything.
Not that MS is a company who made the embrace, extend, and extinguish slogan theirs, a convicted monopolist, and to this day they still ll have the guts to say that they just wished they could have had a conversation with gamers about DRM, but their 180s are true proof they listen to consumers/have a good 2-way dialog with people (or rather they ignored the complaints until it affected the pre-orders).

I definitely agree with both of you.

Plus Phil Spencer was right along with Don Mattrick & Yusef Mehdi on the original Xbox One plans, but for some reason, he gets a lot of praise for being "for the gamers," even though he's been the General Manager of Microsoft Game Studios since 2008 & was also at E3 from the 2010 to the 2013 years (poster CoG would tell you himself, as he's very close with Microsoft).

Laughable.

Missed this one:

I kind of agree.

Game Informer these days pretty much read like regurgitated PR press releases. And I still remember last year when they compared tech specs between PS4 and the X1 pretty much concluding there were minimal differences LOL. This magazine is a fuckin joke.

I definitely agree with both of you.

Plus Phil Spencer was right along with Don Mattrick & Yusef Mehdi on the original Xbox One plans, but for some reason, he gets a lot of praise for being "for the gamers," even though he's been the General Manager of Microsoft Game Studios since 2008 & was also at E3 from the 2010 to the 2013 years (poster CoG would tell you himself, as he's very close with Microsoft).

Laughable.

So, maybe Microsoft is more successful at turning around their image than Sony was last gen. You seem to want Microsoft to continue to suffer until you deem them worthy of their comeback, but it doesn't work like that.

Sure, some people may still feel animosity towards them, but the reality is Microsoft spent most of 2014 working hard to turn around their poor image after E3 2013 and, all things considered, they've been pretty successful at it.

Every company has its faults and skeletons in the closet, Sony included. As long as they work hard towards a comeback, they deserve it. There's no set time limit as to how long the period of suffering is supposed to be.

Metallix87

So is Killer Instinct, and it didn't stop you from mentioning it and its add-ons, while overlooking Resogun and its already released and upcoming add-ons.

Killer Instinct got a new retail release not long ago. Season 2 is literally doubling the content in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Killer Instinct got a new retail release not long ago. Season 2 is literally doubling the content in the game.

The Resogun DLC easily doubles the amount of playtime you can get out of it. It's some of the best DLC of the year. I literally almost never buy DLC, but when I played it on my friends PS4 I made an exception. That's how crazy good it is.

This is why arbitrary distinctions are silly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Yup it's ridiculous, I'm an incredibly dedicated gamer with 300 games on PS3 and they havent even sold me on PS4 yet, they have a LOT to do and a lot more gamers to win over before they start grasping at the nebulous non-existant group of casual gamers who buy $400 consoles

Given that their answer to that is Little Big Planet 3, I don't really see the point in setting off the threatdown timer here.

That aside, really GI.biz?

They're trying to make the PS4 seem more family friendly while going into the holiday season?!? I CAN'T SEE THE ENDGAME HERE!

Really?

I think PS4 had a great first year, maybe not as good as PS2's first year, but still great nonetheless. I also disagree with the people wishing for PS3 titles such as TLoU, GT6, Puppeteer, etc... never got released on PS3 and were saved for PS4. This is not what a console maker shepherding it's own console should do, why would you want to spend the last 1-1.5 years before he successor comes out with all the first party teams already focused on the next big thing? To me this is how Sony always differentiated itself from its competition, full support for their consoles for their entire lifetime or very close to it basically. This is why I am pissed off about PS Vita... the exception...
Third party developers? The same one who cried at moving to Xbox 360 and PS3 too early and losing potential sales on the previous gen lacking cross-gen titles at least? They know it is important too, but sometimes falter in execution.
nice posts, i agree...

To expand on the point above from amir0x, the reason for the messaging change at Sony after looking at their sparse lineup for the first 6-9 months is clear: Without casual audiences to fill the coffers at publishers, AAA games can't get made like they used to.

Despite what some people might say, PS4 wasn't being billed as a haven for games with a casual appeal and modest graphics; it was lining itself up to try to be a core gamer's boner-inducing dream come true right from the outset. It's Sony's go-to strategy, with mixed results. It doesn't really know how to sell a console by virtue of games alone, only potential for how much BIGGER and SHINIER and AWESOMER they could be, until reality sets in again. See for reference of when it goes bad: the first half of the PS3, Vita.

Xbox One puts itself in a similar position, with a huge elephant in the room from their PR disaster at E3 2013, to boot.

And Wii U, despite how I love it, isn't what it might have been. And publishers, to a certain extent, were probably banking on it a little as a console to make cheaper games for higher returns with no one thinking differently about it.

NO ONE in the console market is filling the void left by Wii, and the money that was once spent at retail on the much-derided "wagglefests", while possibly trickling back into the industry through other platforms like iOS, is not the relatively-consistent monetary returns they had during the peak years of the Wii. And without that, we're going to see a spike in risk aversion and fewer games. Just like we saw in the opening act of the PS4 life cycle.

Sony sees the void left by the Wii's special place in the console ecosystem and knows it will limp along on a comparatively sparse library of titles unless it can generate sales to the wider audience, and fast. But when you sell games on being bigger and better, efforts that seem scaled back by comparison will never garner the same attention, always getting drowned out.

Hence the message change.
wow...interesting perspective on the article...another great posts.

Welps flagging this one for sure.

Lots of interesting feedback (in thread) from the "hardcore" market in response to the article too.
yeah, it turned out better than I thought it would. I honestly was thinking the discussion would be focused on the marketing strategy of Sony going forward, but the discussion has definitely taken some interesting turns, very enjoyable thread now.

Top Bottom