• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Some general thoughts regarding Sony's "arrogance" and the PS4's "lack of games".

Sony are not arrogant. Their gameplan focused on delivering a core-focused game console that would be at least as cheap as the Xbox with a solid lineup of early exclusives. Sony didn't want to trail Microsoft like last time so they released quite a few important titles during the console's launh window. Most of those games weren't rated that highly so my guess is that Sony are now taking their time and polishing the new batch of exclusives as much as possible in order to avoid debacles like Knack and Driveclub or "meh" experiences like Killzone. The console is selling well enough as it is that they don't feel the need to rush more exclusives to market right now, or else it's possible that at least the Order would have been a Holiday 2014 title. So the current lack of big-name exclusives this season is not, in my opinion, a show of arrogance but an acknowledgement that their recent exclusive offerings weren't that great and that more effort is needed on that front.

Is it true that the PS4 has "no games"? Well, kinda. I would rephrase that like so: Sony doesn't have any highly-rated big name exclusive titles so far except Infamous. Indie games are great, many times they are much more fun than their triple-A counterparts but the truth is that noone is buying next-gen consoles to play small indie games. Noone. For the mainstream audience indie games are a fun distraction until the latest Halo or Uncharted or FIFA or COD hits. I don't like this at all but it is what it is. Big triple-A games sell consoles, not niche indie titles like Tearway, D4 or No Man's Sky. It's the truth and we all know it. In that sense Sony may have over-diversified their lineup, as silly as that sounds. The PS4 does currently lack in highly-rated triple-A big name titles and those titles are that push console sales.

I value songs smaller titles like Shadow of the Colossus, or the pixel junk games, or Ico, or journey, or unfinished swan etc etc more than the big blockbuster crowd pleasers. It was the expectation of more of these that was instrumental in my choice to buy a PS4 at launch.

EatMyFace

Banned
Yup it's ridiculous, I'm an incredibly dedicated gamer with 300 games on PS3 and they havent even sold me on PS4 yet, they have a LOT to do and a lot more gamers to win over before they start grasping at the nebulous non-existant group of casual gamers who buy $400 consoles
Not sure you understand what a casual game is.

I value songs smaller titles like Shadow of the Colossus, or the pixel junk games, or Ico, or journey, or unfinished swan etc etc more than the big blockbuster crowd pleasers. It was the expectation of more of these that was instrumental in my choice to buy a PS4 at launch.

I wish more people were like you. One of the big reasons I game on PC is because of the hundreds of awesome smaller games I can't get anywhere else. Alas, the mainstream has different tastes.

I wish more people were like you. One of the big reasons I game on PC is because of the hundreds of awesome smaller games I can't get anywhere else. Alas, the mainstream has different tastes.

True, we're the minority.

Frankly, I shake my head when folks clamor for retail titles in IGC. I love my big games, but I'm not going to forfeit new, high quality 'smaller titles' like Velocity 2X & Isaac Rebirth for old 'retail' games, if they aren't better games.

I've spent more time on Towerfall, Resogun & Spelunky than I have on Watch_Dogs or Killzone.

The mainstream are told what to like. My friends have been really enjoying the smaller titles they've recieved from PS+ (After I told them they could download games every month), but they need more exposure. The people to be annoyed at are the people here who visit a gaming discussion forum but for some reason have issues with smaller titles?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not at all. I fully understand why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One: Because it was the more powerful console of the two while also being the cheaper one until recently and because Microsoft shit the bed with its DRM shenanigans. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Without including the available games into the equation this seem a little bit condescending towards console gamers who apparently bought the hardware, looking at the quote I posted earlier and your current one, just for reasons that have little to nothing to do with playing:enjoying its games;).

A more accurate outlook IMHO is that having plenty of good quality games and often the best version overall of the multiplatform ones helps. I think we should look at the consoles more holistically, it is not any single simple factor driving the sales of PS4, but a multitude of smaller ones. You can even have it in simpe form perhaps, it is called good execution of a good plan ;).

BadWolf

The mainstream are told what to like. My friends have been really enjoying the smaller titles they've recieved from PS+ (After I told them they could download games every month), but they need more exposure. The people to be annoyed at are the people here who visit a gaming discussion forum but for some reason have issues with smaller titles?

So if you don't like indie games then you are part of an ignorant mainstream? The hell?

Get off your high horse please. Liking indies doesn't make you special or mean you have better taste.

Shabad

Sony need to stay focused indeed. Their PS4 output has been pretty disappointing so far, both in terms of quantity, ambition, or quality. That being said, I think they are....

They are in a position so confortable they don't need to show their cards early as Microsoft have; chances are we haven't seen many 2015 titles yet. And even then, the 2015's exclusive line-up is even better than the PS3 2013's one.

• Uncharted 4
  • Bloodborne
  • Persona 5
  • Until Dawn
  • The Order: 1886
  • Rime
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Dragon Quest's Heroes
  • Disgaea 5
  • MLB'15
  • Deep Down
  • No Man's Sky
  • Ys
  • Alienation
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
  • Abzû
  • The Witness

The list is non-exhaustive because a) it's just what comes to mind right now and b) not everything is known at this point. So yes, This first year has been fairly disappointing in terms of exclusives, but the future is more than promising. It's shaping up as the best line-up in recent memories -by far- and we still don't have the full picture.

So if you don't like indie games then you are part of an ignorant mainstream? The hell?

Get off your high horse please. Liking indies doesn't make you special or mean you have better taste.

That's not what I said.

I said when the games gain exposure the mainstream enjoy them. Ignorant mainstream are fine. It's game enthusiasts who actually aren't ignorant but instead make blanket statements about indies on gaming forum websites like here.

Mainstream players say things like "I don't like racers" or "I don't like FPS", they don't say "I don't like games that are developed by independent game developers and are released without a publisher" that kind of sentence is restricted to game enthusiast forums.

BadWolf

That's not what I said.

I said when the games gain exposure the mainstream enjoy them. Ignorant mainstream are fine. It's game enthusiasts who actually aren't ignorant but instead make blanket statements about indies on gaming forum websites like here.

Ever consider that maybe they just don't like those kinds of games?

I don't really follow the article. He says Sony need to remain humble, but he already finds them shockingly so.

Then he goes on to say that he agrees they need to start reaching out to casuals in the second year, but disagrees with them for mentioning it, because now it's clear they never really cared about "true" gamers, and were only ever interested in the Wii audience, causing a backlash with the hardcore crowd.

Umm, WTF? Was anyone at all saying that before this article came out? If he agrees they need to start reaching out to casuals this year, then how exactly does he propose they do that if they're required to keep it a secret? Putting an LBP bundle on the shelf next to a GTA bundle means Sony have forgotten the core? The only comments I've seen here on GAF regarding the "family" bundle have basically been, "/nod Smart move."

This article seems to have created a narrative, and seems to go out of its way to find fault with policies the author agrees with. =/

Curufinwe

Like what? Microsoft isn't killing it in terms of exclusives either. We barely passed year 1. Let the devs do their work. Be patient.

Forza Horizon 2 seems significantly better than Drive Club.

Other than that, I don't know what people are talking about. MCC and TLoUR are a wash, so are SO and Infamous SS.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Other than that, I don't know what people are talking about. MCC and TLoUR are a wash, so are SO and Infamous SS.

I cannot comment on FH2, but I can think of NFS: MW and Burnout Paradise in terms of gameplay and racing and assuming it is much better than both by a mile, but while it makes me want to play it one day, I am not upset about playing DriveClub... It is a really good track racer, the driving model is fun and engaging, very smooth although it is not even a 60 FPS racer, and I really like the idea of smooth day-night cycles, great landscape detail, varied tracks, how the dynamic lighting and weather (clouds) affect the environment lighting in real time, and then there is the promise weather update (racing before, during, and after a snowstorm... Yummy :)).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ever consider that maybe they just don't like those kinds of games?

It is difficult to define what is the kind of games they do not like. Indie is not a genre, it just means they do not have a publisher. Same thing with movies or other art forms, independent does not have to mean niche or self serving or social experiments or anything really.

KoopaTheCasual

It is difficult to define what is the kind of games they do not like. Indie is not a genre, it just means they do not have a publisher. Same thing with movies or other art forms, independent does not have to mean niche or self serving or social experiments or anything really.
Cloud Atlas is technically an 'indie' film, lol

prwxv3

It's probably because MS released them so close to each other unlike Sony who had them more spread out, I hope MS spreads out their games out next year instead of having a major drought before the holidays. That is a momentum killer.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's probably because MS released them so close to each other unlike Sony who had them more spread out, I hope MS spreads out their games out next year instead of having a major drought before the holidays. That is a momentum killer.

It feels like Sony cannot do anything right in terms of release schedules... PS4 was well distributed during the years, PS Vita was densely packed in the launch window, PS2 had a super kick ass 1st year with lots of heavy hitters well spread out... People complained... Oh well:).

Metallix87

Why are they a wash? You're comparing the remastering of a game that came out a little while ago to a collection of four games, several of which have been upgraded.

You're right on SO and I:SS, and the same would hold true on LBP3 and Spark, but you've also failed to mention Killer Instinct, which is now on Season 2. Plus, like it or not, Microsoft has Titanfall for what it's worth, which Sony does not.

You're right on SO and I:SS, and the same would hold true on LBP3 and Spark, but you've also failed to mention Killer Instinct, which is now on Season 2. Plus, like it or not, Microsoft has Titanfall for what it's worth, which Sony does not.

Guilty Gear Xrd will be out next month. So there's a high end fighter for their platform.

Curufinwe

They also got Injustice as a new gen exclusive.

Why are they a wash? You're comparing the remastering of a game that came out a little while ago to a collection of four games, several of which have been upgraded.

I didn't mention Killzone, or all the indie games PS4 has that the Xbone dies not, either.

prwxv3

List wars really are the worst thing this gen. Just put everything each platform has and don't leave things off because "reasons".

Amir0x

Banned
List wars really are the worst thing this gen. Just put everything each platform has and don't leave things off because "reasons".

list wars are as ancient as videogames

i remember kids comparing game lists of Genesis vs. SNES back in the day lol

Amir0x

Banned
It feels extra awful this gen to me. Probably because indies are more relevant.

why would indies have anything to do with this? Don't throw indies under the bus please, they're astonishing.

The only reason it may really seem worse to you now I can think of is that neoGAF as a community is massively larger now than it was last gen (or the gen before) and that the proliferation of social media has made such things even louder.

But it's not actually any worse, just videogames are even a bigger industry today than it was even a decade ago. So more people participating, more list wars :p

prwxv3

why would indies have anything to do with this? Don't throw indies under the bus please, they're astonishing.

The only reason it may really seem worse to you now I can think of is that neoGAF as a community is massively larger now than it was last gen (or the gen before) and that the proliferation of social media has made such things even louder.

But it's not actually any worse, just videogames are even a bigger industry today than it was even a decade ago. So more people participating, more list wars :p

No I mean people not counting indie games just because. They are games so they should be counted.

Amir0x

Banned
No I mean people not counting indie games just because. They are games so they should be counted.

wait so you want list wars but are just annoyed indies aren't being counted? :p

I mean sure then yea I agree. I hate when people conveniently leave off indies when evaluating a systems game library. It's absurd. They're amazing games like any other, ups and downs and some as good and often better than any AAA title.

Stop the indie persecution gamers!

truth411

Sony need to stay focused indeed. Their PS4 output has been pretty disappointing so far, both in terms of quantity, ambition, or quality. That being said, I think they are....

They are in a position so confortable they don't need to show their cards early as Microsoft have; chances are we haven't seen many 2015 titles yet. And even then, the 2015's exclusive line-up is even better than the PS3 2013's one.

• Uncharted 4
  • Bloodborne
  • Persona 5
  • Until Dawn
  • Rime
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Dragon Quest's Heroes
  • Disgaea 5
  • MLB'15
  • Deep Down
  • No Man's Sky
  • Ys
  • Alienation
  • Abzû
  • The Witness

The list is non-exhaustive because a) it's just what comes to mind right now and b) not everything is known at this point. So yes, This first year has been fairly disappointing in terms of exclusives, but the future is more than promising. It's shaping up as the best line-up in recent memories -by far- and we still don't have the full picture.

I think folks need to remember Sony had a big year in 2013 in supporting the PS3, also a cancelled I.P. from Sony Santa Monica that was supposed to launch this year, and The Order delayed. Sony's not being arrogant or complacent, it was just a Soft year relatively to previous years.

orochi91

• Uncharted 4
  • Bloodborne
  • Persona 5
  • Until Dawn
  • Rime
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Tearaway Unfolded
  • The Tomorrow Children
  • Dragon Quest's Heroes
  • Disgaea 5
  • MLB'15
  • Deep Down
  • No Man's Sky
  • Ys
  • Alienation
  • Abzû
  • The Witness

I have to ask, is it 100% confirmed No Man's Sky, The Witness, Abzu and Persona 5 are PS4 exclusive?

What's preventing these titles from showing up on XB1 or PC?

I have to ask, is it 100% confirmed No Man's Sky, The Witness, Abzu and Persona 5 are PS4 exclusive?

The Witness is a timed exclusive. The others, nothing as far as I know. But I wouldn't count on persona 5 ever coming to Xbone or PC.

prwxv3

The witness and no mans sky are not exclusive. Persona 5 will probably say on ps4 and PS3 unless MS and nintendo pay for a port. That's what Sony did to get it on ps4.

orochi91

The Witness is a timed exclusive.

Had no idea this was timed, especially when Blow said he was thinking about bringing it to XB1.
Persona 5 will probably say on ps4 and PS3 unless MS and nintendo pay for a port. That's what Sony did to get it on ps4.

Sony paid for the port? As in, funding?

That pretty much locks it to PS platforms.

Do you go a day without mentioning NPD?

In my defense, I have yet to mention it in the past 24 hours :3

Amir0x

Banned

Persona 5 is definitely PS3/PS4 exclusive, that much is true. No mainline Persona game has ever been off a PlayStation console. And Sony paid for the port to PS4, as far as I understand. That DOESN'T actually mean it locks it into exclusivity, we've had cases where such arrangements still allow for the game to come to other platforms eventually. So all this isn't to say it won't happen down the line, but based on comments from Atlus so far I would not bank on that at all. So odds of this are like maybe 5%.

The rest...

ABZU is already announced for PC and PS4. They did not announce it for other systems yet, but on their mailing list they ask for your systems of choice including XBO so I'm guessing it's possible. Of course, it'll mean the ABZU developer will have to jump through hoops with Microsoft to beg them to make an exception due to their horrific ID@Xbox parity clause, so blame MS for any delay!

No Man's Sky is timed exclusive. Given that they keep saying they can't focus on more than one version at a time though (even saying they can't focus on PC version over PS4 version right now), they likely would be unable to start a port of the XBO version til late in the game, so the gap will probably be significant in terms of when it releases, maybe 6 months to a year gap. The PC version is definitely coming. Given how big the game is set to be I'm pretty sure MS will grace them with their unending kindness *(vomit)* and allow the game to come on XBO as an exception to their ID@Xbox parity clause.

The Witness is already coming to iOS/PC/PS4, and whenever discussed about other consoles they always highlight it's timed exclusive. Of course given Blow's super negative experience working with MS and his distaste for the ID@xbox parity clause, who knows how long he'll drag his feet on this. And of course this game is also a high profile enough indie that King Microsoft will surely unfurl the red carpet to give the pleb developer access to their curated indie garden.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Man reading about all these exceptions it sure would be a
first
class act to drop that policy.

The ever present threat of the arrogant Sony boogieman we must all be vigilant of. Never forget.

i hope they will never forget. at the moment they are doing things right. could have been more exclusives in year one, but things got pushed into 2015 (which looks absolutely terrific now).
after all, i like them just concentrating on theirselfs and not having pr-people who don't know how to shut up sometimes. and it's clear that you cannot be successful with such a huge project as a video game console without attracting the casual market. but that will come with lower price, bigger diversity of titles (exclusive and multi) and some innovation like morpheus.

prwxv3

Persona 5 is definitely PS3/PS4 exclusive, that much is true. No mainline Persona game has ever been off a PlayStation console. And Sony paid for the port to PS4, as far as I understand. That DOESN'T actually mean it locks it into exclusivity, we've had cases where such arrangements still allow for the game to come to other platforms eventually. So all this isn't to say it won't happen down the line, but based on comments from Atlus so far I would not bank on that at all. So odds of this are like maybe 5%.

The rest...

ABZU is already announced for PC and PS4. They did not announce it for other systems yet, but on their mailing list they ask for your systems of choice including XBO so I'm guessing it's possible. Of course, it'll mean the ABZU developer will have to jump through hoops with Microsoft to beg them to make an exception due to their horrific ID@Xbox parity clause, so blame MS for any delay!

No Man's Sky is timed exclusive. Given that they keep saying they can't focus on more than one version at a time though (even saying they can't focus on PC version over PS4 version right now), they likely would be unable to start a port of the XBO version til late in the game, so the gap will probably be significant in terms of when it releases, maybe 6 months to a year gap. The PC version is definitely coming. Given how big the game is set to be I'm pretty sure MS will grace them with their unending kindness *(vomit)* and allow the game to come on XBO as an exception to their ID@Xbox parity clause.

The Witness is already coming to iOS/PC/PS4, and whenever discussed about other consoles they always highlight it's timed exclusive. Of course given Blow's super negative experience working with MS and his distaste for the ID@xbox parity clause, who knows how long he'll drag his feet on this. And of course this game is also a high profile enough indie that King Microsoft will surely unfurl the red carpet to give the pleb developer access to their curated indie garden.

Yea P4 is not locked but it's highly unlikely to end up on WiiU, PC, or xbone. They probably were working overtime just for the PS3 version so now that they have the ps4 version on their plate they have no time for other versions even if they had funding for them.

orochi91

The rest...

The Indie clause in its current form will not last, in fact I'm confident in thinking that by 2016 MS will need all that they can get in order to buoy their roster of games so that they have a chance at competing with Sony's output by then.

As for P5, yea I figured since that JRPG push early in the X360's life failed spectacularly, we won't be seeing much of those released on the XB1.

Except Final Fantasy 15, but even that comes down to SE needing to recoup the dev cost they've sunk into that project.

Kinyou

I believe No Man's Sky was announced as "First on PS4", but the devs already talked about porting it to PC eventually. Afaik have they not said anything about the XB1 yet. (I suspect that Sony discourages them from talking too much about other platforms right now)

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I'm really shocked they say Sony need to be 'more' humble I mean MS are the least humble company I've ever seen I've always found them to be big mouth & arrogant. Unless US has a different definition of humble?

orochi91

I believe No Man's Sky was announced as "First on PS4", but the devs already talked about porting it to PC eventually. Afaik have they not said anything about the XB1 yet. (I suspect that Sony discourages them from talking too much about other platforms right now)

What are the chances they go to Sony for assistance, thus making it a full exclusive?

I recall that happening to Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Amir0x

Banned

Without a doubt they would discourage talk about other platforms, they have a deal with Sony in place. So like all timed exclusive type things, that means you can't talk about other versions. Plus IIRC I think Sony helped them out a bit during the flood mess, but I can't be sure.

Considering HG though already said they couldn't really work much on even the PC version right now until the PS4 version is done, I do think the exclusivity window will be considerably longer than most timed exclusivity deals of this type (3-to-6 months typical; I'm thinking it'll be 6mo to 1yr in this case).

Lucreto

The lack of exclusives argument annoys me. Just look at the last 2 years

ICO Collection
Jak and Daxter: Collection
MLB 12: The Show
Starhawk
Ratchet & Clank Collection
Killzone Trilogy
LittleBigPlanet Karting
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
MLB 13: The Show
God of War: Ascension
The Last of Us
Puppeteer
Beyond: Two Souls
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
Gran Turismo 6

Xbox 360

Forza Horizon
Halo 4
Dance Central 3
Fable: The Journey

Forza Horizon
Gears of War: Judgment

*My list on both sides is not complete and I just went with retail releases.

It is clear, Microsoft packed up 2 years before Xbox One was released and changed focus very early, while Sony was releasing 3 games within a month of PS4's launch, 2 were new IPs and one huge selling franchise.

Next year will be far better and being the 20th Anniversary I expect something a bit more.

Top Bottom