• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI:BIZ Sony needs to stay humble and focused

Kerub

Banned
Honestly, PS4 is the machine to game at and it will continue to be the machine to game at. From blockbuster franchises such as Metal Gear Solid and Call of Duty to independent games like Steamworld Dig, PS4 offers the most diverse line-up of high quality games to play.

Read my earlier post.

These aren't my impressions or views, but those of others.

Filler is nonsense to me.

But that's anecdotal. You can't even remotely estimate the amount of people that think that way.

I've just stated "filler" as in games to beef up said great exclusive list.

They could all turn out to play better than I expect them to.

So you assume they aren't anything to write home about, day 0, because they're not AAA.

Wonderful.

joecanada

Which is a tragedy, because Fable 1 was really good.

yeah initially it got made fun of alot for being "dumbed down rpg" or "western rpg" or whatever but there was a lot of promise there, it was actually quite fun to play... but they just kept adding progressively more crap to it, until it became a pile of crap.

like in three , who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have to navigate to each individual house to repair them every 30 minutes??

I really want to know who approved that.

Taurus

Honestly, PS4 is the machine to game at and it will continue to be the machine to game at. From blockbuster franchises such as Metal Gear Solid and Call of Duty to independent games like Steamworld Dig, PS4 offers the most diverse line-up of high quality games to play.
Honestly, Wii U has better lineup of games currently, and so does Xbox One. Opinions, how do they work?

Honestly, Wii U has better lineup of games currently, and so does Xbox One. Opinions, how do they work?

Your opinion doesn't match the sales so PS4 must have enough games. Wii U is missing all the multiplats so it probably has the worst library to the average consumer.

DavidDesu

I'm not sure what this article is really getting at, but I know what it's missing. Sony have in recent years (and for years and years!) brought a wealth of great exclusive games to their PlayStation consoles. They have mass appeal and a solid console for a good price and some very talented developers working away on future titles that will blow us away (hello UC4). They also have a great slate of indie games coming in 2015 which is actually the stuff I'm most excited about. Microsoft have a poor track record and now they no longer have the multi-platform crown.

I know it may not even happen in 2015 but Project Morpheus could be a game changer if they pull it off. Something that "could" create that Wii style buzz and explosion of sales to people not traditionally sold on gaming. They're serious about it and they could bring something to market that does a good job of VR for laypeople. With unique apps, many of which not explicitly "gaming" related they could have a hit on their hands, and by that point also have competitive bundle pricing of PS4 and Morpheus.

PlayStation Vue is another potential stunner, I'd say more so for US citizens than anyone else (I'm UK) in that it could be a viable replacement for cable tv etc. Another money spinner and I love what they're offering with VUE, ironically making the PS4 the go to "media" device as opposed to the XB1. All of this stuff could not work out as intended and totally bomb. Sony are always prone to cocking things up, like Vita's proprietary and expensive SD cards etc that helped sour the Vita proposition to many and was completely unnecessary.

I do believe they could pull it off though since their top level management seem to have wisened up and their support for games and gamers in the run up to the PS4 release proves they've learned some vital lessons form the PS3 launch era.

2015 looks amazing for PS4, I don't know about you guys.

It does to me as well sir, yes indeedy. The number of exclusives and their diversity put's Xone's much lauded exclusives for this year to shame. Sure, not all of them are going to turn out good. But you can say the same thing about Xone exclusives in 2015.

You know when Xbox owners start talking up indies (you know those games that should not be included in lists, cos they are not like... 'real' games) that are also coming to PC (Ori and the blind forest) and timed indie exclusives like Below, that there is a real dearth of announced 2015 exclusives on the Xone, especially the first 2 or 3 quarters of that year.

Did Sony call the Nintendo "a shell of it's former self" recently?

That kind of stuff needs to stop. That's the Sony nobody likes.

No.

"I'd like it to continue with the innovation stream I just talked about [with Share Play, PlayStation TV, PlayStation Now, and Project Morpheus], but also what we want to see in the next year or two is a bigger mass market play, shall we say.

So in order to broaden and perhaps fill the void that's being left latent by, say, the Wii -- which is a shadow of its former self -- we need to have the kind of product that will engage the more casual consumer. I think that's a big opportunity for us, and that's not yet clear on the horizon, but something we should and I'm sure will be focused on as we look forward into year two, three, and four."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/18/sony-exec-ps4-needs-to-engage-the-more-casual-consumer

orochi91

After the latest Shawn Layden interview, it sounds more like a new IP.

GoW needs a hiatus, I believe.

I'd like to see what SSM is capable of outside of cinematic brawlers.

Open world RPG is what I want.

I don't get it. Why is narrative that Sony is being arrogant and complacent getting so much traction?

MS is going Super Sayain this holiday.

They see Sony just chilling at Roshi's and not doing shit.

Why don't we all wait at least until after the 'Playstation Experience' event before we make any proper judgements on how Sony is shaping up?

GoW needs a hiatus, I believe.

I'd like to see what SSM is capable of outside of cinematic brawlers.

Open world RPG is what I want.

But Sony's been Super Sayain since last November.

Microsoft is only pushing hard in the U.S. though. If they were as motivated and hungry as you claim they would be pushing for Europe too. Seems like they are taking the easy, safe route and conceding over half the market to Sony...

Why does this sound more like a sales pitch than an opinion that's on topic?

wapplew

I agree Sony need to stay focus. History shows that they are not very good at support more than one platform, Vita, PS Move and so on.
How many side projects Sony is cooking currently? Project Morpheus, PS Now, PS Vue and Vita.
Do they have enough internal studio or marketing budget to support all of them at the same time, while they still need to support PS4 with 3-4 AAA and 4-5 AA exclusive titles every year?

They need to expand internal studio or hire more second party, like a lot more.

Why does this sound more like a sales pitch than an opinion?

image.php

I agree Sony need to stay focus. History shows that they are not very good at support more than one platform, Vita, PS Move and so on.
How many side projects Sony is cooking currently? Project Morpheus, PS Now, PS Vue and Vita.
Do they have enough internal studio or marketing budget to support all of them at the same time, while they still need to support PS4 with 3-4 AAA and 4-5 AA exclusive titles every year?

They need to expand internal studio or hire more second party, like a lot more.

History shows they support their system well and they start slow each time. I wouldn't worry about them.

orochi91

Why don't we all wait at least until after the 'Playstation Experience' event before we make any proper judgements on how Sony is shaping up?

That's fair.

I'm pretty hyped about that event, hope the payoff is good enough to blunt the news about losing NPD that will come out soon after.

That will be Guerrilla Games nex genre.

Yea.....

The concept art is fantastic, as will the visuals be whenever it comes out.

But game design and narrative aren't something GG excel at.

Microsoft is only pushing hard in the U.S. though. If they were as motivated and hungry as you claim they would be pushing for Europe too. Seems like they are taking the easy, safe route and conceding over half the market to Sony...

Europe's PS loyalty took 3 generations to build up.

MS is smart in recognizing that there's no way they can compete/challenge that.

Yea.....

The concept art is fantastic, as will the visuals be whenever it comes out.

But game design and narrative aren't something GG excel at..
They have never made an open-world RPG, their second team is full with new staff/people, and KZ2 was amazing.

So let's wait and see.
Signs are good.

orochi91

PS had two generations of domination in the U.S. and Xbox was able to take that market so I don't see how Europe is so different.

Consumer mindset seems to be totally different.

Folks in NA, and even UK seem to value pricing more.

Also helps that Xbox is home to the type of games that these markets love (shooters).

a mediocre output, still bad online service even if you now pay for it and the drive club disaster.
i think it's enough for the first year

These are fair points.

Curufinwe

a mediocre output, still bad online service even if you now pay for it and the drive club disaster.
i think it's enough for the first year

Enough for a close to 2:1 worldwide sales advantage, and boy does that make some people, including people in the media, frustrated.

HORRORSHØW

still trolling? don't you get tired of your own schtick, or is this your life?

Lng0004

I still find it funny that when they announced 399.99 no one could believe they could offer such a device at that price point. Now a year later with tons of great games and that's not good value anymore.
Has it been confirmed that there will be no price drop announcement at the Playstation Event next month?

I also don't get the narrative that MS has had a much better 2014 than Sony.

• Botched first party game releases shipping with broken online (Halo/Driveclub)
  • Well received major first party remastering release (TLOU/Halo)
  • Well received open world game (Infamous/Sunset Overdrive)
  • First party racing titles (FH2/Driveclub)

PS4 has the only real current generation baseball game, as well as a major title like FFXIV.

The PS+ selection has also been fantastic. So yeah, I guess I really don't see a huge difference between the two of them like some would say.

Has it been confirmed that there will be no price drop announcement at the Playstation Event next month?

Not confirmed but I see no reason why they'd drop the price when they are still selling very well. Doesn't make any financial sense.

Curufinwe

I think most first PS4 adopters bought the system out of principle and reaction to MS shitty policies/DRM. At the end, people will flock to the console with most/better games.

They have been doing that for the past year. That's why the PS4 which has the most games and better versions of most multiplatform games, is dominating.

• Botched first party game releases shipping with broken online (Halo/Driveclub)

PS4 has the only real current generation baseball game, as well as a major title like FFXIV.

The PS+ selection has also been fantastic. So yeah, I guess I really don't see a huge difference between the two of them like some would say.

Not confirmed but I see no reason why they'd drop the price when they are still selling very well. Doesn't make any financial sense.

+ Overall, the PS4 has more games

Which is nice.

Yup, makes zero sense. It'd be one thing if people said the the PS4 lineup doesn't personally appeal to them, but I see so many going around and stating it as if it were a fact that the PS4 has a weaker lineup. In my opinion, MS and Sony were equally weak this year exclusive wise. I loved SO and Infamous, FH2 is great (haven't played Driveclub) and I loved playing TLOU again (Halo MP being broken kinda defeats it's purpose).

I think it's because of the timing Microsoft chose. Releasing 3 (fantastic) games in less than two months made it seem like the XB1 was packed with games.

Yup, makes zero sense. It'd be one thing if people said the the PS4 lineup doesn't personally appeal to them, but I see so many going around and stating it as if it were a fact that the PS4 has a weaker lineup. In my opinion, MS and Sony were equally weak this year exclusive wise. I loved SO and Infamous, FH2 is great (haven't played Driveclub) and I loved playing TLOU again (Halo MP being broken kinda defeats it's purpose).

Yeah I've played both FH2 and Driveclub and while they both do different things well, I'd probably give the edge there to FH2 since it's just way more polished.

They've both had a very similar year though in terms of first party content.

I think it's because of the timing Microsoft chose. Releasing 3 (fantastic) games in less than two months made it seem like the XB1 was packed with games.
And to be fair, perception really is everything. I don't think there's been some insidious narrative change or anything. People just get their ideas twisted pretty easily, regardless of what reality actually is.

I suppose so. So in the first half of 2015 when we get The Order, Bloodborne, and Persona 5, is there going to be articles about the X1's lack of games and how they need to stay focused?

I suppose so. So in the first half of 2015 when we get The Order, Bloodborne, and Persona 5, is there going to be articles about the X1's lack of games and how they need to stay focused?

I suppose that all depends on how good The Order, Bloodborne, and Persona 5 end up being.

EDIT: ... and if they're on time.

orochi91

Depends.

If those games review well, then definitely.

If they are average, then no one will care.

Which is crazy considering that starting in Dec, there's a pretty long and prominent drought of exclusives for it. Meanwhile Sony launches two new IPs within the first 3 months.

haha, of course we won't. You really think we would?

Top Bottom