• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

you know, as great as someone chewing out the goddamned remaster trend and capcom for their BS is, I always thought this particular rant felt a little off because the thing that sparked it was the others talking about an HD rerelease as if it was a remake or a new game when it was never presented like that

It's pretty funny. but both REmake and RE0 not being available on PC before already invalidates this. As long as it saves games from only being on dead systems they can do as many of these Remakes/Remasters as they like.

if anything, Jason's take on the Capcom remaster train was the most accurate.

paraphrasing:

- Capcom remasters a game to ostensibly test current interest in the series
- Some people buy it to show that they want new games
- Capcom thinks people really like remasters

Fox318

Every single gaming company wants to be zynga today.

Capcom probably wishes they had health clibs like konami.

Only reason why Activision stays in the game is that they make money off cheap plastics.

Jintor

Suburban All-stars has surprisingly good lyrics. I... can't say the singing is very good, though Jeff usually has decent delivery, but the lyrics are usually really funny.

danm999

if anything, Jason's take on the Capcom remaster train was the most accurate.

paraphrasing:

- Capcom remasters a game to ostensibly test current interest in the series
- Some people buy it to show that they want new games
- Capcom thinks people really like remasters

Yeah I was nodding furiously when Jason said that.

Jintor

The Futurepress Bayonetta guide is a fucking work of art. It's insane.

It also has like half an artbook in the back and a ridiculously extensive interview with Kamiya.

I ended up buying (and using) the Dark Souls strategy guide when it came out, but that's the first one I had bought in like a decade. It also might as well double as an art book.

That's a little bit different because there's some important lore stuff in those strategy guides. Something that's just a "go here do this" thing should be dead.

Also I was watching Danny's Katamari video and I'm annoyed that he didn't plug up the hole and blamed the game for telling him not to go to the black hole, when the king clearly says "hey don't go near there until you're big enough to plug it up". It's that streaming problem where a person just has trouble picking things up because they're busy with the stream stuff.

I sometimes worry very much for the people of Gaf, with how angry everyone seems to be constantly at any kind of news.

I feel like the only positive thread I've read recently was that thread on all the cut content/concept work done on the Metroid Prime series. And that thread was started three years ago.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you follow any type of new gaming news, it's just going to get you angry. The hype/PR cycle/pre-order culture has rightfully made everyone cynical. At least we still have Vinny.

I sometimes worry very much for the people of Gaf, with how angry everyone seems to be constantly at any kind of news.

I feel like the only positive thread I've read recently was that thread on all the cut content/concept work done on the Metroid Prime series. And that thread was started three years ago.

I guess I'm kind of lucky in that a lot of the stuff I'm into is smaller games and niche titles, and those threads are almost always overwhelmingly positive with people legitimately excited about the game.

Not giving two degrees of a fuck about how businesses operate, yearly earnings, and promotional hype cycles provides a pretty decent quality of life when it comes to internet discussions.

Jeff is absolutely right.

Zaph

It's not just being angry at news, it's anger towards each other too - mostly in Gaming. The place is like a minefield of people just waiting to pop off without even attempting to understand the other's point or give them the benefit of the doubt.

I pretty much treat that side of GAF as read-only.

Not giving two degrees of a fuck about how businesses operate, yearly earnings, and promotional hype cycles provides a pretty decent quality of life when it comes to internet discussions.

You're lying, it's clearly impossible to like video games without putting a personal investment in the business side of a company and yelling at people for not liking the games I like.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
People getting super upset over Blizzard removing Tychus cigar has just been amazing.

I....I need to see this. Were can I find this?
They should have replaced it with an e-cig

We're all turning into Jeff lol

Not fast enough, the amount of anime advocates in this thread is still way too high.

You're lying, it's clearly impossible to like video games without putting a personal investment in the business side of a company and yelling at people for not liking the games I like.

Oh, I don't know. I enjoy following the business side of things. I find it fascinating.
I enjoyed how Jeff calmly explained why Konami has reasons to delist PT instead of just jumping on the loud and popular "Fuck Konami!!!" train.

bigkrev

I guess I'm kind of lucky in that a lot of the stuff I'm into is smaller games and niche titles, and those threads are almost always overwhelmingly positive with people legitimately excited about the game.

See, I disagree with the bolded- understanding basic business practices will help you understand 95% of the news that people loose their minds over.

See, I disagree with the bolded- understanding basic business practices will help you understand 95% of the news that people loose their minds over.

specific game businesses. I deal with enough corporate stuff at work that I don't feel the need to analyze how Bandai is operating or whatever.

Oh, I don't know. I enjoy following the business side of things. I find it fascinating.
I enjoyed how Jeff calmly explained why Konami has reasons to delist PT instead of just jumping on the loud and popular "Fuck Konami!!!" train.

Nothing wrong with following it but there's a big difference between taking an interest and being personally invested in that stuff.

danm999

It's not just being angry at news, it's anger towards each other too - mostly in Gaming. The place is like a minefield of people just waiting to pop off without even attempting to understand the other's point or give them the benefit of the doubt.

I pretty much treat that side of GAF as read-only.

What the fuck do you mean by this?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Yeah, gaming side can explode over nothing, can't it? This whole cigar thing is pretty stupid.

BearPawB

Banned
It isn't just on GAF,

We are in a weird "angry first" internet culture right now. In which people get angry for the sake of getting angry. Everyone wants to be outraged. I think this is true for everyone regardless of political/social orientations. Doesn't matter if you are a gamer-gater or a radical feminist, no one gives a fair and measured response. It is just react and react LOUDLY. Shame them. Don't just make them someone you disagree with, make them your "enemy".

You can't have a conversation anymore. There are no friendly back and forths. No good natured debates. It is reaction, and heaven forbid if you are on the other side of it.

danm999

It isn't just on GAF,

We are in a weird "angry first" internet culture right now. In which people get angry for the sake of getting angry. Everyone wants to be outraged. I think this is true for everyone regardless of political/social orientations. Doesn't matter if you are a gamer-gater or a radical feminist, no one gives a fair and measured response. It is just react and react LOUDLY. Shame them. Don't just make them someone you disagree with, make them your "enemy".

You can't have a conversation anymore. There are no friendly back and forths. No good natured debates. It is reaction, and heaven forbid if you are on the other side of it.

I have just read the "Witcher 3 downgrade fiasco" thread and I am convinced if we could harness that energy for something productive we could all ascend Stargate style or something.

Fantastapotamus

I have just read the "Witcher 3 downgrade fiasco" thread and I am convinced if we could harness that energy for something productive we could all ascend Stargate style or something.

That energy would lead to Event Horizon at best though.

It isn't just on GAF,

I feel like some people (not all of them) are just trying to "get known" on Gaf (or other forums). Most people on Gaf probably know Durante, right? But if you can't program or draw or create awesome Giantbomb OPs or can't do anything else worthwhile (like me) the last "chance" you have is to be REALLY LOUD AND ANGRY. But you are in a sea of really loud and angry people so you have to try to be the loudest and angriest of them all.
And in a discussion a lot of people just think that a measured response is a sign of weakness and "No, that totally SUX!" is a better and more poignant response than something more reasonable.

When your best-case scenario is Event Horizon, you are well and truly fucked.

if I'm gonna die, there's a lot of things that are less appealing than a possessed spaceship.

I'm not into zen or meditation or anything, at least not in any kind of structured way, but I'm just not an angry person. My ideal situation at almost any time is just something peaceful. I really value calm. Intentionally introducing anger into my life is just the most unappealing thought.

e: I guess kind of a weird statement for someone who likes violent video games and extreme metal and noise music. But those are just things around me. But internally, I can't deal with turmoil or negativity.

Fantastapotamus

dying in some insignificant and stupid way. slipping and falling in the shower. an avoidable infection.

if I'm gonna go, it might as well be at the hands of the most incomprehensibly awful thing in the universe

I don't know, I think I'd rather die because I ate too much MacDonald's than being sucked into hell. Getting killed by an Alien? Fine.
But being stuck in hell? No way.

daydream

Banned
ninjao7sw6.gif

ninja assassin was always one of the best half-goods

Patryn

We're all turning into Jeff lol

I dunno.

I had that rage inside me. Eventually, I decided to follow another example when I saw shinobi being all positive in pretty much all the threads. Decided to give it a whirl.

It's honestly made me love gaming a lot more. I'm unafraid to admit the games I love, and I (try to) avoid arguing with people playing games I don't like. If I don't like a game, I just don't really pay it any mind.

You just need to start focusing on the positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom