• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Shit like this makes me wish they had a call in show.

It's a shame that cbs probably forces them to do nothing but watch hr tapes all day.

popo

I'm not gong to read that article because I am not interested in that sort of thing. I am glad it exists on the site though. Nice to have a bit more depth - even if most people like me are only there for the dumb videos.

Great article by Austin. I'd also add that change doesn't happen by sitting around waiting for the perfect solution. It requires aggressive attention and focus on the issues.

it does kind of take apart the argument of "internet jerks are taking away my anime titty games" pretty well

also this makes two From mech game references in two days from Austin

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is a government ban on QTEs an option? I hadn't considered it before. Where's that petition site?

I'm pretty sure I walked away from that article with the right message

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also as someone who likes doing creative things I can't imagine a creative doing good stuff if they don't consider any critique.

I think Terry pratchett put it pretty well. "Give me the apprentices." "But we have the finest craftsmen." "I have no use for those who have found the limits of the possible."

Everything is a learning process.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Is a government ban on QTEs an option? I hadn't considered it before. Where's that petition site?

I'm pretty sure I walked away from that article with the right message

As long as the message you got was that you should play Metal Wolf Chaos, then yes you got the right message.

today in GAF threads I'm not touching with Antiwhippy's 10 ft pole

"I am male and a feminist, but fear my female friends are genuinely sexist at times "

"What do you call noobs?"

"Girlfriend of 7+ years broke up with me, I don't know how to be human now."

"Thoughts on the Rebuild of Evangelion?"

KingKong

I think it must be some kind of 'nerd culture' thing to not understand that criticism doesn't mean you hate the Product because it happens not just in video games but in comic book/action movies and television shows as well

Zaph

"I am male and a feminist, but fear my female friends are genuinely sexist at times "

The Snoop Dogg one is pretty good too.

Read it and yea i dug it.

Seems like a breath of fresh air for GB while still being crazy dudes.

Lets see how the community fares (though to be fair they have been doing alright so far) :D

I think it must be some kind of 'nerd culture' thing to not understand that criticism doesn't mean you hate the Product because it happens not just in video games but in comic book/action movies and television shows as well

People who like/identify with things that at one point in there lives were considered weird/unpopular/offbeat build up the thickest persecution complexes.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

It is some sort of "human" thing, it's got nothing to do with any specific type of culture other than fanaticism. Sports fans freak the fuck out if you criticize their favorite team in any way, ridiculous over the top "patriots" scream about how you should leave if you don't like certain aspects of the country. It happens any time people get too attached to the concept of something.

One of the other podcasts on the survey is:

Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction with Bryan Cook

It's a pretty damn funny podcast, but kind of has ups and downs depending on the comedians.

There is also a lot of times you just want to go take a shower because the stories just go too far. So definitely don't listen if you're sensitive about just about anything.

There was a duck tales fan fiction that was particularly crazy, about Scrooge killing launchpad with a gold brick and then doing some dark shit. It's sick, but funny sick.

when someone only focuses on the negatives or what could be better, it can kind of come off like that

doesn't help when you treat what a piece of media does right as an afterthought (writers often have a single "now don't get me wrong" sentence in their criticisms), either

Brashnir

when someone only focuses on the negatives or what could be better, it can kind of come off like that

doesn't help when you treat what a piece of media does right as an afterthought (writers often have a single "now don't get me wrong" sentence in their criticisms), either

Game criticism often involves criticizing games, yes. Trailers and PR media are there to show me what's right with a game. Reviews are there to tell me what's wrong with it.

KingKong

It is some sort of "human" thing, it's got nothing to do with any specific type of culture other than fanaticism. Sports fans freak the fuck out if you criticize their favorite team in any way, ridiculous over the top "patriots" scream about how you should leave if you don't like certain aspects of the country. It happens any time people get too attached to the concept of something.

That's true, but I don't see that kind of response to pieces on music or literature, or some TV shows compared to others (Mad Men vs Game of Thrones for example)

yesterday's "Xenoblade X in one word: boredom" thread was really a treat.

People who haven't imported the game or played it defended the game, even though the author had put 70 hours into it himself and they didn't challenge any of his criticisms, mostly due to loving the first one a lot and because lol kotaku.

People who DID import the game pretty much nodded and said "yeah, that sounds about right." Seemed nothing that he said was inaccurate and the game is, at it's best, apparently a flawed experience.

You couldn't make that shit up.

you've got my attention.

I wish I could remember exactly how it goes, I just remember that one specifically hitting me hard because it being Ducktales.

I remember it involving the use of blood and going into detail about duck penis.

The joke is basically seeing how sick the comedians can go a lot of the times and there is nothing out of bounds. So a dark sense of humor is definitely needed.

Anjin M

Game criticism often involves criticizing games, yes. Trailers and PR media are there to show me what's right with a game. Reviews are there to tell me what's wrong with it.

Exactly. I read criticism to learn, not for some sort of ego stroking. There is space for a positive reinforcement version of game criticism ("More games should do it like this!") but you also have to take on the negatives head on.

Plus, if you want to hear people gushing about a game, there are plenty of sources for that. Game critics shouldn't have to prove that they are fans of a game to earn the right to do their job. They deserve the benefit of the doubt until they show otherwise.

Myggen

Exactly. I read criticism to learn, not for some sort of ego stroking. There is space for a positive reinforcement version of game criticism ("More games should do it like this!") but you also have to take on the negatives head on.

Plus, if you want to hear people gushing about a game, there are plenty of sources for that. Game critics shouldn't have to prove that they are fans of a game to earn the right to do their job. They deserve the benefit of the doubt until they show otherwise.

Yeah. Rogert Ebert never had to prove that he was a fan of movies when he wrote a critical piece about a movie or a trend, same with someone like James Wood and his book criticisms.

The thread about times publishers were right literally made my right eye start throbbing. Some of the people who post here--some of them--I don't even know how to parse their nonsense.

convo

Yeah. Rogert Ebert never had to prove that he was a fan of movies when he wrote a critical piece about a movie or a trend, same with someone like James Wood and his book criticisms.

Once some sort of reflex-skill is involved, people automatically get ready to shit on people.
Certain people will never not give ign shit for that God Hand review, no action or reason in existence will forgive it. When Germany will still get shit 1000 years from now from other countries for World War 2 reparations, it will only approach the sheer spite people can throw at others not being good at video games.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's fascinating that ducks are so prone to raping that the females have evolved anti-rape measures in their vaginas.

Only for males to evolve better penises to rape them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom