• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to the Bombcast's bit on MM Legacy Collection, and their love of the Backbone/Other Ocean/Digital Eclipse clique is so fucking confusing.

You know, besides them being friends with those guys. Which frankly they should be more open about.
They're super bros with Mike Mika.

Which makes them not having shat on the terribad Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 release kinda suspect, like how Dance Central 3 seemed to not have gotten a review for reasons unbeknownst to us all

Fox318

Giantbomb videos aren't even loading fast for me anymore regardless of the quality of video.

Sad but the best part of premium membership site wise is the quick youtube switch on the main site.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is a government ban on QTEs an option? I hadn't considered it before. Where's that petition site?

I'm pretty sure I walked away from that article with the right message

Fucking censorship, man.

I told you all. See, me and Jeff have always been on the same wavelengths. Aside from our tastes in music, games, movies, TV, food, literature, many social and economic issues, and most things in general.

KingKong

Dan said on twitter he is thinking about joining Jeff and Danny for the E3 drive.

perfect opportunity to see if he can make it on his own from the middle of nowhere. Whats more entertaining, an EA press conference or Dan periscoping his adventures in trying to find food and shelter

Listening to the Bombcast's bit on MM Legacy Collection, and their love of the Backbone/Other Ocean/Digital Eclipse clique is so fucking confusing.

You know, besides them being friends with those guys. Which frankly they should be more open about when getting that excited about it.

Their excitement over Digital Eclipse being "back" was so confusing. DE fucking sucks. That's like lighting off fireworks because you saw that a port has the High Voltage logo on the box.

Anjin M

They're super bros with Mike Mika.

Which makes them not having shat on the terribad Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 release kinda suspect, like how Dance Central 3 seemed to not have gotten a review for reasons unbeknownst to us all

Jeff has been pretty straightforward in his reasons for not reviewing DC3. He said that he was having trouble getting the controls to work and didn't want to review it for something that he could not rule out as an issue with his home setup.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Their excitement over Digital Eclipse being "back" was so confusing. DE fucking sucks. That's like lighting off fireworks because you saw that a port has the High Voltage logo on the box.

Didn't Drew work/intern at Backbone? I thought that was all just a joke referencing his history there.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
They said several times that the real story was Digital Eclipse being back, or words to that effect. Just... what?

Right, but they also expressed confusion over whether Digital Eclipse is now or ever has been a separate entity from Backbone. The whole "Digital Eclipse is back!" thing was directed at Drew. I don't know, Jeff sounded reserved to negative about it in general.

Jeff has been pretty straightforward in his reasons for not reviewing DC3. He said that he was having trouble getting the controls to work and didn't want to review it for something that he could not rule out as an issue with his home setup.

but he reviewed the first one in what i assume was similar circumstances. I dunno, i'm not buying that DC3 being a bit of a turd didn't play at least some small part in the decision to not review it.

Myggen

I mean, they said that a lot of their old ports were garbage. It read to me more as being baffled by it, and wanting to see what this actually would turn into. I agree with Jeff that the mission statement at least is promising, we'll see about the rest.

but he reviewed the first one in what i assume was similar circumstances. I dunno, i'm not buying that DC3 being a bit of a turd didn't play at least some small part in the decision to not review it.

Jeff has been open about really regretting not reviewing it in the end because of how it looks.

But it's not like they haven't been negative about games from "friends of the site", the last example probably being the Fantasia QL and Jeff again stating that he dislikes most of what Double Fine has put out.

Right, but they also expressed confusion over whether Digital Eclipse is now or ever has been a separate entity from Backbone. The whole "Digital Eclipse is back!" thing was directed at Drew. I don't know, Jeff sounded reserved to negative about it in general.

Eh, sure. OK. I'm more confused over why they found it noteworthy rather than whether they found it positive.

The video game preservation angle is noteworthy, I suppose. Even though this collective is horrible at ports/remasters/whatever, at least there's someone doing that. I suppose if I was in that room I'd probably have been more vocal about how disappointing the Other Ocean collective is. (Besides IDARB, that's pretty good.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Eh, sure. OK. I'm more confused over why they found it noteworthy rather than whether they found it positive.

The video game preservation angle is noteworthy, I suppose. Even though this collective is horrible at ports/remasters/whatever, at least there's someone doing that.

I really just took it as having fun with Drew over his history there, the same way they do with Rorie and Obsidian. It was only noteworthy because he was in the room. I think they've done some borderline gross stuff in the past based on their relationships with developers (Only reporting on Kickstarter projects for people they knew for a long time and not reviewing Dance Central 3 among them) but I didn't personally get that feeling this time around.

I really just took it as having fun with Drew over his history there, the same way they do with Rorie and Obsidian. I think they've done a lot of borderline gross stuff in the past based on their relationships with developers (Only reporting on Kickstarter projects for people they knew for a long time and not reviewing Dance Central 3 among them) but I didn't personally get that feeling this time around.

I didn't catch much of a mocking tone, honestly, but I might just be being oblivious. And no, I didn't think it was gross, but I was just confused because I thought they were speaking about Digital Eclipse in these hushed tones like they were some legendary outfit of some kind.

Finally got round to watching Austin's intro video, he seems like a well rounded guy. I don't really read games writing anymore so I doubt I'll be checking out much of that but he's been cool on the Beastcast so far.

For real though, what's up with his shirt in this video? I was waiting for him to rip it open to reveal a RUN GFB shirt or something. It looks like he had to hastily put on a shirt to cover up something offensive.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/say-hello-to-austin-walker-giant-bomb-s-new-news-e/2300-10222/

Bacon

Finally got round to watching Austin's intro video, he seems like a well rounded guy. I don't really read games writing anymore so I doubt I'll be checking out much of that but he's been cool on the Beastcast so far.

For real though, what's up with his shirt in this video? I was waiting for him to rip it open to reveal a RUN GFB shirt or something. It looks like he had to hastily put on a shirt to cover up something offensive.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/say-hello-to-austin-walker-giant-bomb-s-new-news-e/2300-10222/

He gave all his money to the massive chalice kickstarter so he didn't have enough money to buy new shirts

Myggen

I didn't catch much of a mocking tone, honestly, but I might just be being oblivious. And no, I didn't think it was gross, but I was just confused because I thought they were speaking about Digital Eclipse in these hushed tones like they were some legendary outfit of some kind.

You're remembering it wrong. They weren't talking about DE in "hushed tones", they were talking about how weird it was that it had suddenly risen from the grave. It was more about that than anything else. They mentioned its history with shoddy ports and hoped it would get better this time. Obviously their history with Mike Mika has something to do with their interest in this, but it didn't come off as them shilling for their friend or anything like that.

You're remembering it wrong. They weren't talking about DE in "hushed tones", they were talking about how weird it was that it had suddenly risen from the grave. It was more about that than anything else. They mentioned its history with shoddy ports and hoped it would get better this time. Obviously their history with Mike Mika has something to do with their interest in this, but it didn't come off as them shilling for their friend or anything like that.

The bolded was what I was getting at. I'm bad at describing things. And like I already said, I didn't think it came off as gross or shilling at all.

There is a disturbing amount of Devon Sawa on that schedule.

Is there a different Devon Sawa than the actor?

Nope. It's him. When this partnership was announced by Greg he said he'd try to get SISQO and Devin Sawa on the streams. I assumed he was just being Greg. He's always trying to get random guests for things. Like for instance, there's this Little Ceasar's Pizza commercial with a "small town lawyer" who says "it's all perfectly legal". Greg seriously wants to invite the actor to E3 (for whatever reason)/Kinda Funny. He also (in vain), again for whatever reason, tried to invite Kirsten Dunst to play Super Smash Bros. Wii-U with them on Kinda Funny. I seriously thought this SISQO/Devin Sawa stuff would end up the same and just be a joke, until it became real.

Kinda Funny has Xavier Woods on their stage, I wonder if that means Dan will try to get him on their night show.

I could see Dan showing up. He's already been on their Colin and Greg Live show and their Kinda Funny Gamescast podcast.

Myggen

Ooooh man there's some shit going down on reddit right now and I am ecstatic.

This is maybe not the place to discuss it, but I've brought out the popcorn.

??? Could you elaborate? Is it something to do with Giant bomb?

No, but they've banned a few of the more offensive subs, among them the anti-NeoGAF one (named NeoFAG, so you know it's some classy shit). And of course the free speech crusaders of Reddit are out in full force.

But again, probably not something for this thread.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
??? Could you elaborate? Is it something to do with Giant bomb?

Actually more NeoGAF as a whole, but the thread discussing it was already locked earlier today. Reddit is probably the best place to find out what's going on and discuss it. Or, the better choice, ignore it all because almost everybody in that argument is a different kind of wrong.

This is maybe not the place to discuss it, but I've brought out the popcorn.

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom