• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainmaker

Banned
Things that can be spoiled and surprises just cloud my judgement in that moment so spoilers don't bother me at all as I usually can still enjoy and think about the stuff more clearly. There's still interest on my end in the execution of what has been spoiled. I've never decided against something I've been spoiled on that I had already planned on taking part of and there are way more times where a spoiler got me to try something out. I'm not going to go out and spoil things for others though.

daydream

Banned

2649599-6001335744-17iqo.jpg

alright we're going outside and settling this right now

and after that i wanna know

what's new with the HOTSPURS

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean I'm one of those guys who would wiki the plot of the movie while I'm watching it.

Don't care about spoilers but I understand that people do care.

Jintor

IT'S YOUR BOY THE BIG DOG PITBULL IN THE BUILDING YOU'RE ON HOT NINETY SEVEN THE ONLY STATION THAT GIVES YOU THE GOOOOOOOOOOODS THAT PLAYS THE HITS YOU LOVE

EXCLUSSSSSSSSSIVEEEEEEEE

I mean I'm one of those guys who would wiki the plot of the movie while I'm watching it.

I tend to do that for TV shows, just to see the trivia stuff and what not. And only when I really care about a character. My latest example is Tyrion. I'm not going to say much about that moment but...it's k.

I do this too. like i've read plot summaries of many TV shows under the guise of "well im never gonna watch this so whatever" and then when I end up watching them im like oh. shoulda stayed fresh.

like i am well aware of game of thrones spoilers because i just dont care, but i'll probably never watch it now because i know so much

My gf will do that when we're watching a movie then ask if I want to know what's going to happen. Then I'm like "but we're watching it right now, why would I want to know? We're literally watching it." But she'll still sit there and watch it still, so it's not like she's doing it to avoid the movie. I don't understand. I don't understand!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My gf will do that when we're watching a movie then ask if I want to know what's going to happen. Then I'm like "but we're watching it right now, why would I want to know? We're literally watching it." But she'll still sit there and watch it still, so it's not like she's doing it to avoid the movie. I don't understand. I don't understand!

It's mostly just curiosity. It's like, if I get caught up by the story I'd much rather know it quickly then have it slowly espoused throughout the movie, while still being able to appreciate the narrative devices used throughout the movie as I watch it.

I also like to read tvtropes as I play through games to learn more about the characters before their arcs conclude.

I just have no patience I guess.

Volotaire

I am probably the most spoiler averse here with regard to very old films or games (it's why I try to spoiler mark everything I post on GAF that would remotely spoil someone's experience). I just feel watching discovering the plots without knowing what will happen is just a completely different experience with having knowledge ahead. One is a discovery into the unknown whereas the other is anticipation. The latter is not bad, but when the media is designed around the former, I would like to experience it that way.

But when I say I am spoiler averse, it is only to the game's/film's/TV show's story. Someone gave an example of Fallout 4 being set in Boston as a spoiler. That's ludicrous to me. Any media that is released as pre- promo material before the game is released is also OK with me. Although i've tended to do less of this in relation to films and games because I feel too much is revealed , especially with regards to film trailers. However, I can never avoid the big film trailers i.e. Star Wars, etc.

However, I seek spoilers in any medium I will never consume. I've reached the age where I know which media I am going to consume for the rest of my life and have solidified my tastes and preferences. So with relation to comics, e.g. when I watch a Marvel film, I may wiki what kind of powers the superhero has or his history throughout the comics.

Jintor

so i listened to the cast.

brad's spoiler was pretty minor, but i kinda feel like he would've been fine with just talking about the signs and not the other thing.

the other stuff they talked around fine, and the other other stuff was apparent in like twenty seconds of the quicklook, so eh

Xater

I only checked out the last page of the Mad Max thread and gaming and boy is that funny. Giant Bomb hates Nintendo, meanwhile Super Mario Maker was one of their top games from E3. Also people stopped listening when they shat on Demon's Souls, boy do they look silly now.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I only checked out the last page of the Mad Max thread and gaming and boy is that funny. Giant Bomb hates Nintendo, meanwhile Super Mario Maker was one of their top games from E3. Also people stopped listening when they shat on Demon's Souls, boy do they look silly now.

Everyone please don't repeat the mistakes of that GameTrailers thread...

I've spent a couple of hours with DriveClub and I'm 80% sure I'm one of those weirdos that like the game, it's weird.

Xater

Everyone please don't repeat the mistakes of that GameTrailers thread...

I have no intention of arguing. It just amuses me.

My interest in that Mad Max game went down ever since the Kotaku impressions. Jeff thinking the same made think the game will not be for me. Sounds like Ubisoft open world design.

Driveclub is good. It gotdway too much hate. Solid 7/10 game.

Volotaire

What? They've said a few times they (ideally) want to finish MGS4 before V is released. I don't mean they'll be going straight into a playthrough of V!

I thought you meant the latter. Although they will probably start in the next few weeks, they don't really need to start it before 5 if they wanted to sit on it for a while.

Xater

I thought you meant the latter. Although they will probably start in the next few weeks, they don't really need to start it before 5 if they wanted to sit on it for a while.

I'd hope they continue MGS and MPP soon. Now is the best time with basically nothing going on until the end of August.

I have no intention of arguing. It just amuses me.

My interest in that Mad Max game went down ever since the Kotaku impressions. Jeff thinking the same made think the game will not be for me. Sounds like Ubisoft open world design.
The weird thing about that whole embarrassing pile of stupidity is that I seem to remember a whole bunch of lukewarm impressions from Mad Max around the time Jeff gave his impressions.

demidar

Stuff like this is why I don't post so much in Gaming Main anymore.

Xater

The weird thing about that whole embarrassing pile of stupidity is that I seem to remember a whole bunch of lukewarm impressions from Mad Max around the time Jeff gave his impressions.

Yup, he definitely wasn't the only one. Mostly remember the Kotaku piece though because they mentioned basically everything I hate about Ubisoft open world games.

Zaph

Yup, he definitely wasn't the only one. Mostly remember the Kotaku piece though because they mentioned basically everything I hate about Ubisoft open world games.

As cool as Mad Max looks, even from their highly polished trailers and gameplay vids, it seems so obvious we're getting another skin deep, repetative, openworld collectathon.

I get some people like staying optimistic until they see it themselves, but if we keep falling down the hole of benefit-of-the-doubt preview coverage, we're only going to have ourselves to blame for all the ubi-clones.

Das Ace

Yo, I finished the Gwent client launcher. Shit's rad.

I wonder if any of the bombcrew ends up finishing it before goty since a load of the great story and character stuff is in the last third.

Jaded Jeff is something that's going to get brought up in every GB thread from here to eternity, huh?

wish people had better criticisms about him. Seems like lazy commentary that's mostly code for "he doesn't like/isn't as enthusiastic about the things I like."

Volcynika

Jaded Jeff is something that's going to get brought up in every GB thread from here to eternity, huh?

wish people had better criticisms about him. Seems like lazy commentary that's mostly code for "he doesn't like/isn't as enthusiastic about the things I like."

He didn't like the industry changing announcements from Sony though, why does he hate everything. :( :( :( :(

etc.

I picked up The Order for $20 this weekend.

It's not that bad!

Sure, it plays like a cross between a Telltale game and Uncharted 1 but goddamn does this game look like some next level stuff. Yeah, the game design is literally a straight line so it's not like it's doing anything crazy but man, shit could pass for movie-quality CG at times. And the story so far is actually kinda alright!

I know the game itself is short and that this package is kinda barebones without some sort of MP component for a game released in 2015 but I'm enjoying my time with it. I guess paying only $20 for it and having my expectations pretty low helps a lot.

I'm on book 8 of Malazan but a while back I got "spoiled" on what the very last line of the series is. It weirdly made me more motivated to finish.

Yeah I'm only at book 3, but before book 2 I accidentally learned the fates of kellenved and dancer. So pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and yeah it pretty much just made me want to read more.

we'rethesameguy.gif

except in situations where figuring out a mystery is the primary appeal of something (999)

Is it even possible to spoil something like 999, save reading a full wiki page? That's one of those you have to be complicit in to 'spoil'.

Is it even possible to spoil something like 999, save reading a full wiki page? That's one of those you have to be complicit in to 'spoil'.

haha good question. yeah the reveals in that game can't really be quickly summed up.

I had a pretty big "oh shit" reveal ruined for me for VLR though. the one regarding
Tenmyouji
. I mean seriously, the very first google result if you search that characters name is a massive spoiler if you've played 999. so, thanks internet

I disagree with the idea that a spoiler is only a spoiler if it's big enough to affect the entire piece. I loved my experience with VLR because I was able to react like "OH SHIT" with every single twist, even if there are like 20 of them and any single one doesn't hurt many of the others.

Volotaire

Something I irrationally do not like on some LTTP threads. Sometimes, posters post LTTP threads without having played the game yet. It's not an LTTP at that point, it's just a recommendation/tips thread.

danm999

I'm pretty sure every fandom has marked him as a passionless cynic at this point at one time or another. Same gets said of guys like Jim Sterling (who really didn't like Arkham Knight either), but like Jeff if you get a feel for the types of games these guys usually like you can predict how they'll react to things very consistently.

Also I don't want to resurrect some of that shitting on other outlets noise, but Giant Bomb does have a very different tone to most other sites, magazines, podcasts etc. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder whether that's realism, sober analysis, pragmatism, cynicism, a lack of passion or whatever, but there's definitely a gap in tone. And I think that's ok. Different people want different things.

But at the same time, I can't help but feel part of the reason there are so many sucker punches for consumers in this industry when it comes to broken games is that it's rare for the coverage to ever go against hype or overwhelming positivity. I mean, this is the industry where for the longest time anything scoring under say, 8/10 in a review was considered garbage.

tuxfool

Banned

This particular viewpoint isn't that much of a divergence from "Jeff doesn't like games". I don't think it is a big deal tbh.

haha good question. yeah the reveals in that game can't really be quickly summed up.

I had a pretty big "oh shit" reveal ruined for me for VLR though. the one regarding
Tenmyouji
. I mean seriously, the very first google result if you search that characters name is a massive spoiler if you've played 999. so, thanks internet

That bit was fairly obvious from playing VLR. It's really, really obvious given some of the things the character says and his reactions throughout the game.

Man, still need another Zero Escape game. 999 was amazing, VLR was uneven but ended on a hell of a strong note and with a huge cliffhanger.

And you can totally spoil 999 in one sentence. I won't do it here, but it's completely possible.

Yo, I finished the Gwent client launcher. Shit's rad.

I wonder if any of the bombcrew ends up finishing it before goty since a load of the great story and character stuff is in the last third.

If CDPR doesn't make a Gwent mobile game they've fucked up big time.

No_Style

I agree that it doesn't need to be pointed out every single time but let's not pretend that Jeff and Brad haven't become jaded. Their reactions to the games and announcements lately are the very definition of the word. You only need to look back to older quick looks and content to see how much their enthusiasm waned. However, unlike other people who view their jadedness a criticism, I think it's a perfectly valid reaction to the current state of the industry. There is nothing wrong about being jaded if the games that you're exposed to aren't tickling your fancy. Sequels and remakes can be tiring.

I just think a better balance is required from the Bombcast and GB West content as a whole when it comes to differing opinions. It's why I'm slowly preferring the Beastcast more and more because both Alex, Vinny and Austin are bringing different views and don't have their voices being drowned out by stronger personalities.

Or maybe that's the way GB is going to balance their opinions/views on things where the Bombcast is a little more cynical and optimism can be found in the Beastcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom