• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #14 | I'll Never Forget This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchocky

I don't think brad loving to spoil things that are only a few weeks out is exactly a secret, nor should it be laughed off if people care about it. For me I don't really care about spoilers, but I do think it better to have a grace period of a few months for the people who do care about it. Or at least put a warning beforehand.

I do find it funny Brad likes to spoil things for other people since when he said he was going to catch up with Assassins Creed he asked the other guys not to discuss the story of the later games since he was going to play them.

demidar

Right above the picture of Abe.

I remember listening to that episode of EGM Live and slowly realizing that things had really gone off the rails.

Separating creator from creation I struggle a lot with. I try and take it on a case-by-case basis because I don't really know where I fall on the issue. For me, it's less a line in the sand and more a spectrum. There's some things I can overlook, and others too egregious that I can't.

he seems like the kind of charming smart guy who would say stuff like that and i'd be like "yeah yeah i can see that" before realizing it's completely batshit

He really did seem like that on the Night Show, but I didn't hear anything too objectionable.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I do find it funny Brad likes to spoil things for other people since when he said he was going to catch up with Assassins Creed he asked the other guys not to discuss the story of the later games since he was going to play them.

It's the ever hilarious paradox of the Shoemaker. He absolutely hates getting spoiled but will not hesitate to spoil others.

I don't think he can use "not spoiling would stifle discussion" because he has absolutely stifled discussion in the past by asking not to be spoiled.

I can't think of a specific moment in a game that I would have been upset had it been spoiled for me. I can think of plenty of TV moments that I would have been really upset about, but for games, the moments that mostly blow me away aren't really story twists and turns, but gameplay experiences that can't really be spoiled.

Liie, Winter in The Last of Us. I don't think you can spoil that for me because what made it great was the gameplay of that section, not necessarily the story. Maybe already knowing the story would remove some tension from that gameplay, but it's still worth experiencing for yourself.

Actually, now that I think of it, if the sunset sand surfing in Journey had been spoiled for me, it wouldn't have had nearly the impact that it did.

Overuse of footage from later Journey sections in games media is what made me give up playing it. I will never be able to build up to those moments and see how they stand out from the rest of the game without thinking how I've already seen it a million times.

danm999

Separating creator from creation I struggle a lot with. I try and take it on a case-by-case basis because I don't really know where I fall on the issue. For me, it's less a line in the sand and more a spectrum. There's some things I can overlook, and others too egregious that I can't.

Having re watched Firefly recently I thought about this yeah.

Overuse of footage from later Journey sections in games media is what made me give up playing it. I will never be able to build up to those moments and see how they stand out from the rest of the game without thinking how I've already seen it a million times.

Yeah, it's really unfortunate, but Journey is one of those "you had to be there" games. You also kind of had to get lucky to get the full experience out of it. Nowadays if you tried to play you'd probably be with a white robe, and just knowing that the person with you has done all this before a lot would kind of ruin it for you. It was super special being with a person who had never done it before and was experiencing everything with you for the first time.

Fuck I love that game.

I give shit like, a month before I talk freely about the "spoilers". And people can suck my dick if they get upset about that; if you really cared, you'd be super on top of it.

justjim89

On Vinnyvania, Austin mentioned doing some kind of spoilercast for Her Story. Would definitely love to hear that, especially regarding which of them falls into
Team Twins and Team Multiple Personality.

They'd also made mention of the Powerbombcast on the podcast this week. Jeff alluded to doing something new with it. I just want my wrassle talk to return.

Having re watched Firefly recently I thought about this yeah.

Personally, I've never forgiven Joss Whedon for ripping off Outlaw Star with Firefly's pilot. It's like how every story I had to write in middle school was something from Toonami with the names changed. Except he got paid for it and a huge cult following.

It's interesting to compare how Giant Bomb handles spoilers in GOTY now compared to years ago. I distinctly remember them going off mic when Brad had to explain how Silent Hill: Shattered Memories' ending justified being recognized with an award. Now, they just drop ending spoilers for The Fall.

That was because Silent Hill came out a week before they recorded that podcast and The Fall had been out for 7 months.

danm999

I tried watching Firefly earlier this year and gave up, I couldn't stand seeing that asshole on screen.

I did appreciate the irony of the episode where Jayne tricked a bunch of naive mud farmers into thinking he was some sort of important social figure when actually he was a criminal and a fraud.

Weird questions: Does anyone remember the audio broadcast where Dan talks shit about the Mall of America? I need this because...

I need to fully explain the lunacy of that place to everyone who took Dan's "it's just a dumb mall" at face value. No, Dan. You don't get it. No one gets it.

the s ha mb ling n-n-o on underst ands f
i
re

That was because Silent Hill came out a week before they recorded that podcast and The Fall had been out for 7 months.

Well that makes sense.

at least then you won't be a terrible person and ruin it for other people >_>

Are spoilers really that big a deal to people? I guess we sorta had this discussion earlier but I wasn't in on it, but like... Does it really "ruin" something for a person, dissuading them from going to that thing? I've never had that experience, it always ends up being a "meh" response for me, and I usually end up seeing the thing anyway.

Jintor

spoilers are terrible and if you deliberately go out and spoil things for people you are a terrible person

surprise is an experience you get once. one time. one time only. it's unique. it's not the be all and end all but it's a thing i happen to like getting.

don't spoil things please

Jintor

i get that talking around spoilers is inhibitive to discussion. i get it. people can have a reasonable idea of what's reasonable to spoil in general discussions and they're impossible to spoil in detailed story discussion. i wouldn't go to a story analysis thread without expecting spoilers. i also doubt that brad's spoiler thing is that bad, and i kind of also don't care about arkham knight so i'll listen regardless.

but please, don't spoil things if you can help it

thanks

Where was intentional spoiling at all suggested?

for the purposes of this statement negligence = intent. checkmate sir

/edit negligence amounting to recklessness even moreso

demidar

Are spoilers really that big a deal to people? I guess we sorta had this discussion earlier but I wasn't in on it, but like... Does it really "ruin" something for a person, dissuading them from going to that thing? I've never had that experience, it always ends up being a "meh" response for me, and I usually end up seeing the thing anyway.

Yes? You can't dictate how important surprise is for someone. You may not care but others do.

If someone spoiled 999 for me I would fucking flip my shit, and I generally don't care much for spoilers.

Depends on what it is. There are many things I've been spoiled on without it affecting my experience too much, but there are also many things I enjoyed significantly less or even didn't bother experiencing at all because spoilers ruined the build to those moments. There are games and movies I could not understand the "greatness" of because I could no longer have the emotional investment built from first impression surprises. It could go either way, but in general I'd rather not risk it at all.

i would rip out the throat of someone who spoiled 999 or VLR without warning

omg I'm so glad I got through those games years later without knowing a thing. I cannot express enough gratitude for Patrick hyping up that series properly without spoilers.

for the purposes of this statement negligence = intent. checkmate sir

Uzj0OjN.png

edit

/edit negligence amounting to recklessness even moreso

Ah.

I guess I've gotten into one too many "Snape kills Dumbledore" moments with people getting angry at me for talking about that moment (even within the last year) that it's soured me on caring. It's fucking impossible to judge people's spoiler limits.

Jintor

it is impossible to judge accurately within all times, especially when some spoilers become absolutely saturated in pop culture - I Am Your Father, Rosebud, Dumbledore etc - and it becomes more complex when sequels and stuff build heavily and begin to assume you already know the spoilers (Star Wars, HP among them) - but if you adhere to the 'don't be a dick' rule you're generally in the clear

if you're in real life, check first ("are you up to... where are you in the story...?"). on gaf, use spoiler tags - it's not that much of an inconvenience. srsly

daydream

Banned
Spoilers would totally ruin Her Story.

i read some stuff and i'm interested to see how it's executed and embedded in mechanics

not everyone consumes games on a surface level

@jintor & co.: by and large, we're all still mindful and tolerant of spoiler-conscious people, so you should, in turn, perhaps at least consider a different perspective from your own, even if it may not involve putting out a figurative threat of violence to someone for talking about what happens in a lousy vn, but instead finding the kind of aesthetic perception that is at odds with your own a tiny bit plain and short-sighted in a completely non-aggressive or imposing way. just a thought.

Antiwhippy

I mean, look at this way daydream. not spoiling something is not going to affect the anti-spoilists and spoilists too much. Spoiling something, however, is going to affect one group pretty heavily.

daydream

Banned
i would like to state for the record i've considered the position of spoilers are okay and utterly discarded it

in the confines of 'games consist of a series of newly-experienced, hence surprising moments that are mostly story-, sometimes gameplay-related in nature and the player gets enjoyment out of witnessing those in the moment, so to speak', then yeah, i can see how you got to that conclusion

daydream scoffs at base concepts like "narrative"

clearly all games should be a series of glorified metronomes

hm, yeah, i find narratology to be one of the most interesting subjects across the board, but clearly you know and understand me better lol

Jintor

daydream scoffs at base concepts like "narrative"

clearly all games should be a series of glorified metronomes

just rhythm games and batman combat

in the confines of 'games consist of a series of newly-experienced, hence surprising moments that are mostly story-, sometimes gameplay-related in nature and the player gets enjoyment out of witnessing those in the moment, so to speak', then yeah, i can see how you got to that conclusion

tbh beyond that; I think even mechanics can be spoilers in some contexts, but it's not anything I think worth really pushing to conceal (besides, they're usually the most interesting parts to talk about)

it's why outside of multiplayer games I usually don't venture into OTs until I've 'finished' a game, let alone spoiler threads. easier to avoid them entirely than to count on others to not talk about them (especially in a messageboard specifically for talking about things...)

danm999

I mean, look at this way daydream. not spoiling something is not going to affect the anti-spoilists and spoilists too much. Spoiling something, however, is going to affect one group pretty heavily.

I don't find common sense courtesy regarding spoilers a problem honestly. It's just I think there has been some creep on what is considered a spoiler.

daydream

Banned

i can't tell if this is satire, whippy

in case it isn't - this isn't actually about the act of spoiling something but the larger discussion behind it. like i said earlier, we generally abide by 'no spoiler' rules either way, and that's fine. the concept of a spoiler is tenuous at best but nobody's gonna dispute its practical value. if only for the throats that are saved in the process.

hm, yeah, i find narratology to be one of the most interesting subjects across the board, but clearly you know and understand me better lol

I can envision a scenario where I wouldn't want to know the full extent of a game's mechanics, so I don't think spoilers should be framed as merely protecting the sanctity of a story.

the only narrative that matters is the inexorable march of time

just rhythm games and batman combat

The Gerstmann connection.

Jintor

in case it isn't - this isn't actually about the act of spoiling something but the larger discussion behind it. like i said earlier, we generally abide by 'no spoiler' rules either way, and that's fine. the concept of a spoiler is tenuous at best but nobody's gonna dispute its practical value. if only for the throats that are saved in the process.

you rip out one throat...

daydream

Banned
tbh beyond that; I think even mechanics can be spoilers in some contexts

I can envision a scenario where I wouldn't want to know the full extent of a game's mechanics, so I don't think spoilers should be framed as merely protecting the sanctity of a story.

yeah, that's what i meant by "sometimes gameplay-related" (i wrote 'mechanics' initially but then decided to keep it more broad)

anyway, videogames

they're pretty aight

CURTAIN

Antiwhippy

OK, now I'm confused about what we were even arguing about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom