• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Schreier the head editor/EIC/whatever at Kotaku? He's going to have every chance over Patrick to post the stories that matter. The lower editors are there to sustain the site day-to-day with their clickbait.
He broke the infinity ward story no?

I recall them mentioning him in a Bombcast (obviously, prior to his joining GB), so yeah.

NinjaEdit Important top of page addition
DiscreteCleverGoshawk.gif

Catvoca

Banned
Patrick isn't really a cut above most other games journalists. Who can name a notable bit of journalism he's done? People like Schreier or however it is spelled do some excellent work over at Kotaku, but he really doesn't. Despite his scoops nickname he doesn't deliver any hot scoops. It makes sense that post-GB he'd utilise some of the livestream skills he's accumulated, but honestly the shoe doesn't fit that great. He's in a weird place, imo.

That sounds harsher than I meant it to be, because he is a nice guy and I enjoy his Mario mornings and a good amount of his GB content. It would be great to see him over at GBeast.

I think he's written some great stuff for Kotaku. He tends to write about stories surrounding games, like this one recently http://kotaku.com/dad-immortalized-in-his-favorite-game-by-grieving-son, or the piece he did on eve, or that piece about the gambling competition between two dudes. Might not be "hard hitting journalism", but these are good articles.

yami4ct

Isn't Schreier the head editor/EIC/whatever at Kotaku? He's going to have every chance over Patrick to post the stories that matter. The lower editors are there to sustain the site day-to-day with their clickbait.

I belive Totilo is the guy running stuff over at Kotaku. Schreier is the most visible on GAF because he's a pretty active member here.

Patrick also did that story recently interviewing localization people about games getting changed when they come west. Story wasn't perfect, but it had some really insightful bits.

Myggen

I belive Totilo is the guy running stuff over at Kotaku. Schreier is the most visible on GAF because he's a pretty active member here.

Patrick also did that story recently interviewing localization people about games getting changed when they come west. Story wasn't perfect, but it had some really insightful bits.

Totilo is the EIC, Schreier is the News editor.

neshcom

Banned
Like, what even is a gaming scoop? No one is really pounding down doors for x/y/z reasons, so the biggest scoop someone can get is an email leak or early announcement.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

yami4ct

Iron Galaxy wouldn't make it but 1 random dude from the UK will? Lang truly is a monster.

To be fair, the opportunity costs of taking on a project like that are much different for a studio of a significant size rather than just one dude doing something he's into.

Catvoca

Banned
To be fair, the opportunity costs of taking on a project like that are much different for a studio of a significant size rather than just one dude doing something he's into.

Stop being so reasonable.

I totally get it. There can't be a big market for a Windjammer clone, even if it's good. Hope if works out for this guy.

3ds seems like a real dumb platform though, Windjammers is the perfect couch co-op game. Seems like you'd want it on consoles and PC but idk.

yami4ct

Stop being so reasonable.

I totally get it. There can't be a big market for a Windjammer clone, even if it's good. Hope if works out for this guy.

3ds seems like a real dumb platform though, Windjammers is the perfect couch co-op game. Seems like you'd want it on consoles and PC but idk.

This is exactly the kind of reason I'm glad small scale indie development is only getting easier to do. Stuff like this can serve a market large enough to justify a few guys working on, but would never work out for a larger studio.

As you mentioned, though, 3DS seems like a bit of a suspect choice even if it is one of my favorite platforms.

neshcom

Banned
That art is obviously super earlier, but oh boy they probably shouldn't have shown too many screens of it looking like that. Those player models are real messy, even for the 3DS.

Is it super early? The article says it's coming early 2016. Would there be many significant visual upgrades in a few months?

yami4ct

Is it super early? The article says it's coming early 2016. Would there be many significant visual upgrades in a few months?

Oh, you're totally right. I just scanned the article and assumed since this is the reveal that it'd be like a year out. There still could be significant polish time given the scale of the project, but that definitely makes the game look a lot rougher.

Bad graphics aren't going to ruin it if it plays well, but it's certainly not off on the right foot.

K.Sabot

I'm at my in-law's house GOTY week. Perfect.

Was in the same situation a few years ago but they didn't even have internet at the house, I stole their neighbors wifi and it took nearly the 4 days I was there to download each podcast before I listened to them all on the drive back home.

I didn't know they would quick look EDF, I'm excited for the dumbness
I hadn't seen this on the schedule and now I'm excited. We always need more EDF, especially if it's in the form of a GBeast QL.
Let's hope Vinny is able to find the time to edit an episode in between all the GOTY stuff.

Yeah, seems like Project B.E.A.S.T. would be more of an editing job than one of their regular videos so hopefully it's not too much of a pain to do amongst all the GOTY stuff he's working on.

strafer

Sure, they got time for that Kerbal shit but not LiS.

Shame on you Vinny. Shame on you.

The Kerbal game was funny the first time but then it got tedious...it's not fun for me to watch.

yami4ct

Sure, they got time for that Kerbal shit but not LiS.

Shame on you Vinny. Shame on you.

The Kerbal game was funny the first time but then it got tedious...it's not fun for me to watch.

Playdates are a live series. Live shows are different beast from pre-recorded stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom