• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is Danny now a US citizen due to marriage? That probably has a ton to do with leaving Gamespot.

Xater

Danny had nice words for me when I needed them despite only knowing from a coup,e Gamescom encounters. I'll wish him the best of luck for whatever is next. He is a super nice guy.

Mr. F

Banned
Dang, poor Mary. The exodus continues.

I wonder how much of it is frustration at where things were headed? With a lot of talent leaving and him mentioning on the last podcast that GS is mostly freelancers these days it makes me wonder if things were getting cut down in future regardless.

(My head jumps to this assumption because I was laid off for similar reasons a couple months ago heyyyy).

Edit; why does everyone say GBEast? Is his wife from there?

Curufinwe

Dang, poor Mary. The exodus continues.

I wonder how much of it is frustration at where things were headed? With a lot of talent leaving and him mentioning on the last podcast that GS is mostly freelancers these days it makes me wonder if things were getting cut down in future regardless.

(My head jumps to this assumption because I was laid off for similar reasons a couple months ago heyyyy).

Edit; why does everyone say GBEast? Is his wife from there?

From his Tumblr on August 29th

Question
Do you like living in Oakland? All I know about it is what I've seen in sons of anarchy or on the news.. Do you feel safe living there? Or would you like to move somewhere else?

Answer
Yea I love it here. It’s cheap but really pretty. There are some rough parts of Oakland, but it’s mostly pretty safe. I live in a super safe part of town with a lovely lake, diverse neighborhoods and good stores around. I really like it here. But myself and my wife are also considering moving to the east coast in the not-so-distant future so this probably isn’t where we settle down. I mean, you can’t. For as affordable as our rent is, buying a house here is impossible.

popo

Danny going to GB doesn't really go with him being coy about his "new adventure". I could see him moving to dev or maybe it is another GB poach for Ubisoft's youtube team, three of his mates are already over there.

Is Danny now a US citizen due to marriage? That probably has a ton to do with leaving Gamespot.

Too soon for that to be a factor but he was tweeting recently about getting a permanent work visa/right to remain not tied to the GS job. Likely he had to wait for that before he could move.

Zaph

Pretty sure he announced permanent residency around just before he marriage, but it wasn't anything to do with it.

But yeah, he was probably tied to CBSi via the work visa, and the moment residency came through he could consider other opportunities without worrying about sponsorship.

He talked a few times about that - especially the frustration of not knowing what content he would be doing and what would be returning. Can't blame him fucking it off - Gamespot is now just another youtube-style follower of trends.

Maiorum

"considering moving to the east coast in the not-so-distant future"

Maybe GB did hire him and they're letting Dan and Danny decide which one wants to move east vs stay in SF?

I'm not all that surprised Danny is leaving. He's seemed down on Gamespot for a while now and there were cryptic tweets.

I'd love to see him join either GB team and insert a bit more enthusiasm to the group.

Hearing rumblings of Danny replacing Stephen Colbert, with Colbert joining GBWest. Les Moonves is reportedly unhappy with Giantbomb's lack of anime and anime game coverage since Austin left. Colbert is a big fan of the Lunar games, so it's a natural fit.

Zaph

Defo not vice

UuhxpNQ.png

Top Bottom