• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Defo not vice

UuhxpNQ.png
Glixel confirmed

JonCha

Don't have anything against him personally but I think if he were to join GB he'd fill the exact same space as Dan. Patrick and Austin have offered different perspectives on games, and news with Patrick more so, that he wouldn't be able to offer imo.

Santar

Personally I'd be a bit sad if Danny's going to a new site and not GBEast, as I'd 99% never see him again then.
I guess I'm just pretty much set in which gaming sites with personalities I follow (it's just Giant Bomb).
But of course I wish him the best of luck in his future future endeavours.

I'd like to think it's GB East, but I'm keeping my expectations low. Can't lose that way.

Regardless, he's a good dude and deserves good things.

I hope he comes over to Giant Bomb. Someone posted a quote from his Tumblr saying that he and his wife were considering moving to the east coast in the near future. I mean, he's already pretty involved in the site, and the community love when he comes around.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Best of luck to Danny. It'd be great if he went to GB so I didn't have to think "Oh I should watch Danny's stuff more" every time I see his videos, but wherever he goes I hope it works out for him.

I really don't think management would agree to Danny leaving Gamespot, a site seemingly in a tailspin, to go to another CBSi site. Unless it was part of a larger change for Gamespot?

FStop7

Banned
I have a dumb question.

Gamespot's shedding people right and left. But if you look at their Alexa rankings they're still much, much larger in terms of traffic than Giant Bomb.

So why is Gamespot struggling so much?

kiguel182

I have a dumb question.

Gamespot's shedding people right and left. But if you look at their Alexa rankings they're still much, much larger in terms of traffic than Giant Bomb.

GiantBomb doesn't need to compete in traffic because they have the sub money. Also, two very popular podcasts.

Not saying they are making more money than Gamespot (they aren't) but their metrics are totally different.

FStop7

Banned
GiantBomb doesn't need to compete in traffic because they have the sub money. Also, two very popular podcasts.

Not saying they are making more money than Gamespot (they aren't) but their metrics are totally different.

Hm.

If I were Leslie Moonves (and I'm not saying I am but let's say I'm Meslie Loonves his Australian cousin) then I would probably look at all of the money I've been channeling into Gamespot and say to myself "I could probably divert a small but significant portion of this money from this dying site into this other site with lots of subscribers and a vibrant community and seriously up their presence, gain more subscribers and make more money in return."

Or if I were REALLY crazy I might say "This Gamespot thing is clearly dying but the name itself has value and these other video game guys created a name from scratch and turned it into something. Maybe I should hand the Gamespot reins and resources over to them and see if they can right the ship."

Scizzy

I have a dumb question.

My read is that Gamespot isn't struggling, it's just stagnant. It's been the #2 Google result for gaming for a while and it's maintaining that position, but increasing traffic from that point just hasn't worked. Their audience just isn't interested in personalities and, as a result, a Gamespot that's nothing but freelancers would be much cheaper and almost as popular. Danny leaving really does seem like a nail in the coffin for any greater ambition.

Zaph

I have a dumb question.

Because their traffic comes from legacy stuff, by virtue of Gamespot's age, their google results for game trailers, reviews, previews, forums etc are very high.

But their original, personality-driven, video content just doesn't seem to get any traction from that audience. Look at their Youtube - 2.5m subscribers, but 20k average views per video.

FStop7

Banned
Also I hate to be a vulture but maybe this means Giant Bomb won't have to put up with a Gamespot bug in the corner of their E3 conference streams next year.

ha ha ha just kidding, like there will be any E3 press conferences next year.

I have a dumb question.

Traffic isn't exactly the end all be all. You want people to engage with your content and with each other. They're a huge site, but a lot of the people that are visiting might only be there to look at the score for a game that came out recently. Ideally, you want those people to spend more than a minute on the site, whether it be reading reviews, watching videos or chatting with other users. When you have more people spending more time on the site, you also increase the exposure of your advertisers, but that's another story.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Gamespot has new faces all the time, too. It's just that you don't know those. I just posted a job offering here a few days ago.

Top Bottom