• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #24 | In the beginning...

I'm sorry my heartless logic made everyone sad... I am sorry!

I am sure Vinny loves the freedom of GB, but GBE feels like they have a distinct lack of support from higher ups. They are working in a "studio" the size of a small closet. Vinny has the talent and experience to work at a job with better financial backing to produce content....
VICE Gaming
!

Please cheer up everyone!

PS: Danny's recent trip to NY/GBE was his formal interview for the position.

PPS: Anyway, don't forget to skip to the end of the podcast tomorrow to see if everything is okay!

If it was in a podcast, it would be next weeks podcast since Dannys last day is...next week.

I can imagine it might've been Danny's 'formal' interview at East when he visited. This would also explain why no positions were posted on the CBS site. He has mentioned that he and his wife are looking to move East.

I mean...the clues are there.

strafer

1290401-1119323_vc.jpg

Thread needs more Vinny.

hamchan

If it was in a podcast, it would be next weeks podcast since Dannys last day is...next week.

I can imagine it might've been Danny's 'formal' interview at East when he visited. This would also explain why no positions were posted on the CBS site. He has mentioned that he and his wife are looking to move East.

I mean...the clues are there.

I like the idea that Dan has spent a whole month trying to prove he belongs East but Danny is there for a day and beats him to it.

Makes sense. Vinny was always too good to stay in this ramshackle operation. Seeing as they work at CBS, someone higher up in the chain probably noticed him and has now hired him to do higher tier production work in the TV field. I'm just surprised it took this long.

18.png

18.png

18.png

Is this the Giant Bomb version of shouting "fire" in a crowded theater?

If only myggen was here to shoot down rumors

I like the idea that Dan has spent a whole month trying to prove he belongs East but Danny is there for a day and beats him to it.

Haha. That would be funny. Although...if that's the case, I imagine Dan would't be against the idea of Danny being hired. IE if Jeff brought it up, Danny, despite wanting to go east, he'd give it up to officially have Danny on the team.

Megasoum

Banned
I know there's a collective hate boner for Jim Sterling here, but this is directly relevant to this week's Bombcast. The single player pay to win stuff was forced on the studio by corporate (London office) two weeks before the game went gold.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272853

lol... For a guy who makes a living making ranting edgy videos about the video game industry, he sure could try to learn more about how said industry actually works...

Megasoum

Banned
So you wanna expand on that or what

To be clear, I'm not trying to defend SEE. I left that company over a year ago so whatever.

I'm just tired of the trend of Youtubers building an audience over ranting personas (Jim Sterling, Angry Joe and all those other yelling types).

As far as the video itself... Some of that stuff is true, some of it is complete bullshit and some of it I just don't know (either it has nothing to do with my previous job or it happened in the last year).

I'm not gonna go into details for obvious reasons but all I'm saying is that, no matter how much you might like an "internet influencer" (yuck I feel dirty saying that lol), don't automatically believe what they are saying.

Megasoum

Banned
Fun fact about Phil Fish... His real name is Philippe Poisson (Poisson meaning Fish in french)... Always thought it was funny.

As far as the video itself... Some of that stuff is true, some of it is complete bullshit and some of it I just don't know (either it has nothing to do with my previous job or it happened in the last year).

I'm not gonna go into details for obvious reasons but all I'm saying is that, no matter how much you might like an "internet influencer" (yuck I feel dirty saying that lol), don't automatically believe what they are saying.

I'm more inclined to believe him since he's apparently getting current information and he's being specific about it. I don't doubt that you know things from your time there, but being intentionally vague and basically saying "well some of it's true and false" kinda doesn't help your position. The fact that he did the work verify the identity of the person he was communicating with and the fact that Jim is kinda an old hand at all this video game stuff (he's not just plucking up a rumor and reporting it as fact) lends to his side of it.

Jim isn't someone who yells at the screen for the lolrandom humor, he does actually try to do work for the industry, so I don't put him in the influencer group.

So you wanna expand on that or what

I don't work at Eidos, but I am down the street at another "E" company. I'll just say, from direct experience: adding microtransactions to a game is, at minimum, several months of work involving significant efforts from online and UI programming, plus a significant amount of support from production and a ton of QA effort to properly support it on three different platforms with three different purchasing flows.

Adding it two weeks before entering cert is literally incomprehensible. Just having it added two weeks before alpha would have it instantly be considered a moderate risk.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'll be extremely bummed out if Danny does something outside of games media.

Will be a huge loss of talent. I always thought he was kind of the Gerstmann heir apparent

Megasoum

Banned
don't worry, I'm sure he'll do very well at whatever publisher he's doing PR for

Ugh... I feel this would almost be even more depressing... I prefer someone completely outside of the industry that would still talk about games and random stuff on twitter than a dev PR guy that will spit out the same taped speech everywhere about how great his product is.

sirap

Ha, you just perfectly described the majority of Jim's content. He does good work, but some of the things he talks about do tend to stray into bs territory.

Kinda like TB's PC port reports—it's both hilarious and sad that he'd do them when he doesn't even know what half of the settings mean.

Ugh... I feel this would almost be even more depressing... I prefer someone completely outside of the industry that would still talk about games and random stuff on twitter than a dev PR guy that will spit out the same taped speech everywhere about how great his product is.

Speaking of which, they should get Tim Turi in the studio again some time.

I think it would be really funny if Danny left GS to go into PR on the same week Jeff went in on the Bombcast about how publishers are not your friends and are actively against you.

I don't care who you are, you should always double source your info no matter how much trust the person.

The stuff in the Jim Sterling video wouldn't make it to a lot of news websites.

The fact he is on youtube and uses it to frame/justify arguments he has already made in the past does not make it more credible, but it allows him to publish it to an audience that aren't half as discerning as they think they are.

YouTube is basically confirmation bias the website.

I don't work at Eidos, but I am down the street at another "E" company. I'll just say, from direct experience: adding microtransactions to a game is, at minimum, several months of work involving significant efforts from online and UI programming, plus a significant amount of support from production and a ton of QA effort to properly support it on three different platforms with three different purchasing flows.

Adding it two weeks before entering cert is literally incomprehensible. Just having it added two weeks before alpha would have it instantly be considered a moderate risk.

So this is because I have no clue about the inner machinations of the industry, but Jim says in the video "2 weeks from submitting the game for approval." Is that the same thing as submitting for certification, or might it be a different state earlier in development? Could it not be possible that Eidos had all the technical details about making microtransactions work and Montreal had to plug together UI elements?

The game did get delayed there, might have been caused in part by this maybe?

You guys should post in the Jim topic because there can be some interesting discussion here.

So this is because I have no clue about the inner machinations of the industry, but Jim says in the video "2 weeks from submitting the game for approval." Is that the same thing as submitting for certification, or might it be a different state earlier in development? Could it not be possible that Eidos had all the technical details about making microtransactions work and Montreal had to plug together UI elements?

The game did get delayed there, might have been caused in part by this maybe?

'Approval' tends to more or less means certification. Certification does take time itself, but....it really depends on what 'approval' means in this context. Whether it's for an internal milestone build, or for certification...JIm would have to clarify.

Top Bottom