• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #25 | A Fun Time with Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is...
madness.
according to this email I just got from Bungie, Biogamer Girl says the new Destiny DLC has "a ton of new content"

there are no other press quotes in the email

I can hardly wait for Giant Bomb's Influencer of the Year award.

In seriousness, I'm wondering when the bottom will fall out for sponsored youtube content. I want to believe it's an unsustainable practice and not the future of games coverage. Like, Jeff's take on Bethesda holding reviews until day 1 on the Beastcast was very good, but also very grim.

NES Real Talk:

Kid Icarus isn't good
Neither is Ice Climbers, Jeff is crazy
Metroid 1 hasn't aged well at all, everything looks the goddamned same and you have to replenish your health every time you die and the music gets repetitive fast
Excitebike is good but okay, the best version is the FDS version of Vs. Excitebike
Ghosts n' Goblins is actually horseshit
Mario 3 is the best Mario
Kirby's Adventure is great and Dan's bizarre confusion as to how the floating works (you just press the jump button) is nonsense
Castlevania 1 and 3 are the sickest shit in the world, almost all of Konami's games were sick as hell

NES Real Talk:

Kid Icarus isn't good
Neither is Ice Climbers, Jeff is crazy
Metroid 1 hasn't aged well at all, everything looks the goddamned same and you have to replenish your health every time you die and the music gets repetitive fast
Excitebike is good but okay, the best version is the FDS version of Vs. Excitebike
Mario 3 is the best Mario
Kirby's Adventure is great and Dan's bizarre confusion as to how the floating works (you just press the jump button) is nonsense
Castlevania 1 and 3 are the sickest shit in the world, almost all of Konami's games were sick as hell

All of this is true but your Ghost n' Goblins slander.

Yeah, I haven't played much (or any) of most of the NES Classic games, but Kirby's Adventure would be one I'd put up there as "fully playable today." It looks good, sounds good, and is still a ton of fun.

It also reminds me how ironic Dan's complaint about the colour palette in Kirby's Adventure is, because there's a actually stage in KA that's an homage to Gameboy Kirby. It's in full monochrome and it is amazing.

All of this is true but your Ghost n' Goblins slander.

It's a bullshit quarter muncher and to top it off they put it on the NES before the extra chips and programming tricks were there to support it, so it runs at 30fps and is an ugly mess of flickering and bad sprites

The truth. Bloodlines is the best Castlevania.

Bloodlines's saving grace is the soundtrack and that watching enemies break into pieces and gore is kinda cool, but other than that the levels aren't great and even more tech demoy than SCIV (which is a feat) and they drew everything weird and wrong like it was some kind of knock off or fangame they slapped the name on. An actual boomerang?? Gems instead of hearts??? You even climb the staircase to the Dracula fight by going left to right instead of right to left, like what the fuck.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm glad you are all coming to the side that SOTN is fucking boring. and grinding in a Castlevania game sucks and always has.

It's a bullshit quarter muncher and to top it off they put it on the NES before the extra chips and programming tricks were there to support it, so it runs at 30fps and is an ugly mess of flickering and bad sprites

Oh, I thought you're throwing the whole series under the bus? I can agree the NES version isn't the one to play.

One thing I'll add about Kid Icarus, for the longest time I never got why anybody wanted another entry. Probably Smash Bros. But Kid Icarus 3DS is way better than the origin games.

Oh, I thought you're throwing the whole series under the bus? I can agree the NES version isn't the one to play.

One thing I'll add about Kid Icarus, for the longest time I never got why anybody wanted another entry. Probably Smash Bros. But Kid Icarus 3DS is way better than the origin games.
Agreed on all counts.

big_z

Is Jeff right with the Mario 2 audio not sounding right? I haven't played the game in a long time but it sounded correct to me.

Is Jeff right with the Mario 2 audio not sounding right? I haven't played the game in a long time but it sounded correct to me.

I want to say it's fine, but... I think Jeff poisoned my mind because I only started questioning the sound after he brought it up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hearing Jeff talk about buying soda for Titanfall 2 codes. I feel like... I think Titanfall 2 has awoken an ancient darkness in Jeffrey.
QpdRTQtl.jpg

Soon he'll be talking about buying games strictly for achievements and testing energy drinks on air.

Was that an impression? I figured Jason just patched in actual FFX audio.

Well, you wouldn't have to go too far for that.

Do people still play The Division?

I'd love to try out the new update but I'll probably do so in December or January when I'm done with all the heavy hitters that are out.

Seriously though where is the final episode of Hitman

Brad mentioned that they recorded it but he doesn't know when it'll be posted.

The truth. Bloodlines is the best Castlevania.

I'm glad you are all coming to the side that SOTN is fucking boring. and grinding in a Castlevania game sucks and always has.

CDLOf4F.gif

derFeef

Mafia 3 has me hooked, that
betrayal
moment in the beginning 2 hours. wow! Hope it does not turn to garbage as much as people say :(
Also graphics are very poor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mafia 3 has me hooked, that
betrayal
moment in the beginning 2 hours. wow! Hope it does not turn to garbage as much as people say :(
Also graphics are very poor.

I hate to break it to you but you're still at the point where the game is good. And you're approaching the end of it.
That fun, interesting, jointed storyline you're experiencing? Get ready for that to be spread out across several Everquest-esque missions killing nobody NPCs in samey environments.

derFeef

I hate to break it to you but you're still at the point where the game is good. And you're approaching the end of it.
That fun, interesting, jointed storyline you're experiencing? Get ready for that to be spread out across several Everquest-esque missions killing nobody NPCs in samey environments.

We will see. I am okay with grind (hell, I like ReCore).
If the story beats will be as good then cool.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Watching that Gamespot Call of Duty documentary they posted today...

First of al it is no NoClip that's for sure...

Secondly holy shit... I know someone who hasn't re-read his Sony NDA before allowing a film crew to shoot in his office... IW could get in serious trouble because of that video
Well, what is it then?? I like myself some gossip, but I will not watch a Gamespot Call of Duty video.

You just have to play it like it isn't meant to be finished. It's fun!
And I'm pretty sure it never puts you back to the beginning of the game, it's always the beginning of the "chapter", no matter how often you die. So the coin argument doesn't hold up too well.

He has said that before, really weird. Maybe he understands it, but fails to describe it?

More like Vinny saying upscaling to everything and Jeff agreeing or not disagreeing. Like they handle it like you buy a more powerfull PS4 and everything upscales to 4k, kinda like every device you have hooked up to a 4k TV.

And Bakkalar, I bet 95 % if the games on PS4 are native 1080p. Because he and Alex said lots of game don't even hit 1080p, and are 720p.

But, all in all, I hope his mother gets well soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom