• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

kiguel182

We had Terry Wogan back then, he was so disdainful about Eurovision and just got more drunk as the show went on. He was amazing. Graham Norton does a good job now.

That sounds amazing. Our did the eurovision for a long time so he was old guard. There's someone new doing it but I don't actually remember if they are good or bad lol

There is just some super obvious ones, especially if you consider food:

- wooden shoes
- bicycles
- cheese
- dutch fries
- mayonaise
- frikandel
- bitterballen
- stroopwafel
- vla
-tomatoes (if you want to be cheeky)

Edit: Also gonna throw in Epica which might be the only dutch Band I know.

I had bicycles after Jeff mentioned Amsterdam but the rest means nothing to me. I didn't know mayo was an Holand thing.

I'm usually really bad at remembering things when put on spot anyway.

oti

Banned
I've already decided to wait for a Switch version of Persona, no matter how long of a wait that would be. No interest in playing those RPGs on TV only anymore. I even stopped playing TMS because of this.

LiK

Nier is legit amazing. I'm taking a break from OW right now because there are so many amazing SP I want to play and OW will always be there afterwards anyway.

I'm just having a lot of fun playing with Gaffers lately. OW has been a bit of a drug.

Hindl

I've already decided to wait for a Switch version of Persona, no matter how long of a wait that would be. No interest in playing those RPGs on TV only anymore. I even stopped playing TMS because of this.

The more I play Zelda the more I like the Switch as a handheld, so I really want Persona on Switch. But I'm not holding out hope

Bacon

Yeah the only way I played persona 4 was on vita. Can't imagine playing a game like that restricted to my living room anymore. Its the perfect kind of game to pass a few minutes here and there and always feel like you made good progress.

daveo42

Banned

I think we've reached the point where Persona will more than likely exclusive to Sony machines and SMT will be exclusive to Nintendo products. The exception is Persona Q, though that's way more EO with a Persona skin. So, I hope you like waiting. Who knows, maybe Sony will release P5: Ruby on the Vita 2 if both of those things ever happen.

Yeah the only way I played persona 4 was on vita. Can't imagine playing a game like that restricted to my living room anymore. Its the perfect kind of game to pass a few minutes here and there and always feel like you made good progress.

Too bad we'll never have Remote Play PS4 on the Switch. That 2.4Ghz only on the Vita makes it pretty unusable. I imagine the switch with the 5Ghz band would make it pretty sweet.

Mupod

on my own playthrough of Yakuza 0 I never picked up on the constant gags with character names, specifically whenever someone walks in and hasn't introduced themselves yet they get a 'descriptive' name. The localization of that game is just a beautiful thing, I wonder if Sega absorbing Atlus had anything to do with it.

oti

Banned
Same. I'm not someone who plays these super long RPGs to begin with usually and Persona 4 Golden on Vita was great. Just not in the mood to be chained to the TV. Unless it's Ni no Kuni II. I'll play that on TV. Would prefer Switch here too but what can you do.

I think we've reached the point where Persona will more than likely exclusive to Sony machines and SMT will be exclusive to Nintendo products. The exception is Persona Q, though that's way more EO with a Persona skin. So, I hope you like waiting. Who knows, maybe Sony will release P5: Ruby on the Vita 2 if both of those things ever happen.
It doesn't really make sense to restrict Persona to PS4 and not port it to Switch. I believe Atlus will make the rights business choice and port it over. Again, I'm ready to wait years for that no problem. I liked Persona 4 but I'm not counting the days to Persona 5. Persona 3 port on Switch would be nice though. Never played that.

i mean it's on a system with a suspend feature
i mean, it's on a system chained on the TV

def sim

Eventide Island really was a quick, easy thing that I expected more from.

I like that they
let Link keep his magic tablet. Smashing everything with a metal box instead of playing their take on the survival genre is the kind of goofy I'm all for.

LiK

I played P4G exclusively on PSTV. Consider how much of a marathon I was playing, playing on Vita would've just made my neck hurt from looking down on the Vita for a long period of time. I was fine playing it on my TV.

robotrock

Banned
It doesn't really make sense to restrict Persona to PS4 and not port it to Switch. I believe Atlus will make the rights business choice and port it over. Again, I'm ready to wait years for that no problem. I liked Persona 4 but I'm not counting the days to Persona 5. Persona 3 port on Switch would be nice though. Never played that.

How is it the right business choice to port anything to the Switch right now?

oti

Banned
How is it the right business choice to port anything to the Switch right now?

I didn't say anything about "now".

I played P4G exclusively on PSTV. Consider how much of a marathon I was playing, playing on Vita would've just made my neck hurt from looking down on the Vita for a long period of time. I was fine playing it on my TV.

I know myself. I'd get bored after 20h or so. That's why I stopped Tokyo Mirage Sessions too. The handheld just gives me the option to put in some time re here and there without committing to the TV every single time.

I'm DQ11 on Switch all the way too. Unless it runs like crap.

TraBuch

Banned
The worst thing about new Nintendo console launches is all the port begging. It's weird how many people are like "I have a PS4 but I never play it and I'm really interested in this game but only on the Switch."

kiguel182

The Switch has a ton of momentum, porting stuff to that platform is a no brainer. It's selling and it will continue to sell if supported.

daveo42

Banned
I didn't have an issue with playing P4G on my Vita, but I did spend a ton of time hunched over the screen. Probably didn't do anything goo for my posture.

I think you might be a bit biased here. They could port it over, but we don't know if it would actually make business sense for them to make a port of the game as is, wait for the inevitable remake with extra features, or if it just doesn't happen. I'm still under the impression that the third option still remains the most likely given their track record.

The worst thing about new Nintendo console launches is all the port begging. It's weird how many people are like "I have a PS4 but I never play it and I'm really interested in this game but only on the Switch."

"People buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. We don't care about third party support."
"It's a no-brainer to bring XYZ to the Nintendo. They'd be stupid not to."

This has been going on since Nintendo started losing third party support on the N64.

LiK

I know myself. I'd get bored after 20h or so. That's why I stopped Tokyo Mirage Sessions too. The handheld just gives me the option to put in some time re here and there without committing to the TV every single time.

I'm DQ11 on Switch all the way too. Unless it runs like crap.

One thing TMS taught was how badly Wii U needed a suspend/sleep mode. Having to boot up and load a game every time when I got back on was so fucking annoying. I'm too used to PS4 and even Xbox One suspend modes now. It's one of the best things for consoles. Happy the Switch just does it automatically.

I'm wary of DQ11 on Switch since they couldn't even get DQ Heroes 1/2 to run well on it. Who knows, maybe they'll do a better job with the port since it's a flagship title.

Haha, it used to be Vita port begging on GAF, now it's the Switch. It def took the spot.

My favorite thing about Switch port begging is people being adamant the platform can totally run any game out there no problem. If it Unreal 4 then it can run every single game that uses Unreal 4 and developers that dont port to switch are being lazy and hate Nintendo.

Thats totally how that works.

/s

Mr. F

Banned
i mean, it's on a system chained on the TV

persona-5-teaser.jpg

oti

Banned
I guess I still don't see why it's clear to you right now that it'd be good business to port anything over to the Switch ever
And your reasoning behind this assumption is....? More platforms mean more potential sales. If data is anything to go by a handheld (especially with Splatoon on it) is going to do well in Japan. That should be Atlus' main concern when it comes to deciding ports.

I didn't have an issue with playing P4G on my Vita, but I did spend a ton of time hunched over the screen. Probably didn't do anything goo for my posture.

I think you might be a bit biased here. They could port it over, but we don't know if it would actually make business sense for them to make a port of the game as is, wait for the inevitable remake with extra features, or if it just doesn't happen. I'm still under the impression that the third option still remains the most likely given their track record.
If Switch is successful enough for Atlus they'll port it. Anything other than that would be bad business. I'd also imagine Nintendo trying to sweeten the deal for them.

Assuming Persona will skip Switch no matter what is just irrational from our outsider perspective.

oti

Banned
One thing TMS taught was how badly Wii U needed a suspend/sleep mode. Having to boot up and load a game every time when I got back on was so fucking annoying. I'm too used to PS4 and even Xbox One suspend modes now. It's one of the best things for consoles. Happy the Switch just does it automatically.

I'm wary of DQ11 on Switch since they couldn't even get DQ Heroes 1/2 to run well on it. Who knows, maybe they'll do a better job with the port since it's a flagship title.

Haha, it used to be Vita port begging on GAF, now it's the Switch. It def took the spot.
I'm wary of DQ11 too. That Heroes port is AWFUL. As in, how can they sell this awful.

That day, Lordi sowed the seeds of Brexit.
I have a special hate for Lordi. First time hosted by Greece, a total joke act won. Ugh.

If there can be a decent version of a game for the Switch, that'll be where I want it, thanks to the handheld factor and how easily it fits into my day-to-day life.

Only crazy people exclusively wanted Wii U versions of multi-plats, but the Switch does at least offer an incentive.

TraBuch

Banned
And your reasoning behind this assumption is....? More platforms mean more potential sales. If data is anything to go by a handheld (especially with Splatoon on it) is going to do well in Japan. That should be Atlus' main concern when it comes to deciding ports.

If Switch is successful enough for Atlus they'll port it. Anything other than that would be bad business. I'd also imagine Nintendo trying to sweeten the deal for them.

Assuming Persona will skip Switch no matter what is just irrational from our outsider perspective.
I mean, Persona 3 and 4 skipped every Nintendo platform despite the Wii, DS and 3DS all being extremely successful. If they were willing to keep Golden exclusive to the Vita and not port it to the faaaar more successful 3DS, why is saying they won't port a game from the extremely successful PS4 to the new system with the much lower playerbase irrational?

daveo42

Banned

Why specifically? It's not like porting a game over to the Switch is as easy as flipping a...Switch...

If it was that easy or worth that much, the DS/3DS would have seen copies of P3P or P4G release. It would have made sense right? The 3DS sold well more than the Vita, even after a rocky start so it would have been a smart idea to port it right? Just because you think it's "good business sense" to port a game doesn't mean that's actually good business sense. Unless you have info the rest of us don't, none of us really know if it would make sense to port it.

Playing it on the go would be pretty awesome, right? I think Atlus/Sega looks at a little more before throwing money at a project.

Bacon

If there can be a decent version of a game for the Switch, that'll be where I want it, thanks to the handheld factor and how easily it fits into my day-to-day life.

Only crazy people exclusively wanted Wii U versions of multi-plats, but the Switch does at least offer an incentive.

Yeah this is my mindset on it. I'm not going to cry when a multiplat doesn't come to the switch but it would be a nice bonus.

Listening to Jeff on mixlr and he does not like ME:A at all. Bombcast should be fun

Probably will wait to listen to this one until I can skip parts. Part of it is that ME is my favorite series and the wounds of a clunker are too fresh. The other part I don't really know how to phrase. The Brad and Jeff videos of the game are some of the only GB videos I've ever had to just...turn off. It's only partly the game, because I've watched hundreds of videos about bad games. It was just, I was having no fun watching two guys go "UGH what are these FACES" and "CHRIIIIIST this DIALOGUEEEE" for hours straight.

I dunno. It's not really on them that a game's bad, and I don't think at all that they should try to mute their real feelings or whatever. It's just like nails on a chalkboard to me this time around for some reason.

oti

Banned
I mean, Persona 3 and 4 skipped every Nintendo platform despite the Wii, DS and 3DS all being extremely successful. If they were willing to keep Golden exclusive to the Vita and not port it to the faaaar more successful 3DS, why is saying they won't port a game from the extremely successful PS4 to the new system with the much lower playerbase irrational?

A 3DS port of Golden? That sounds awful. How would that game even run on 3DS?

PS4 is very successful in the West. In Japan the numbers should be better. Even Sony admits that. If PS4 sales reach a level Atlus is 100% confortable with then sure, porting and marketing for a Switch version might not be worth it at that point.

Anyway, this talk at this stage is completely pointless. Switch is nowhere near the installed base for stuff like this. If Atlus were to come out and say there won't be a Switch port ever I'll happily buy Persona 5 on PS4. I just wouldn't finish it believe.

Doesn't Sony have rights to mainline numbered Persona games? Or did am I misremembering?

If there is a chance I don't have to buy a Pro for P5 I will wait.

Listening to Jeff on mixlr and he does not like ME:A at all. Bombcast should be fun

I played about 2 hours last night and my kneejerk reaction was that it felt immediately derivative. Jeff was right calling it a direct-to-video sequel to Mass Effect. Generic villain, generic set up, generic everything.

J_Viper

If you're a fan of Yakuza, you need to watch Tokyo Drifter

If you're not a fan of Yakuza, you still need to watch Tokyo Drifter

justjim89

Haha holy crap just got to the "I just don't like flavour in my beer" part in the latest beastcast.

What's wrong with that? I'm kind of in that boat with him. Beer is a means to an end, it's not about enjoying the flavor. The best beer is cheap and ice cold. Anytime I drink some higher end beer with a lot of hops flavor or something super dark like Guinness it just grosses me out. I can't enjoy something that bitter.

oti

Banned
Why specifically? It's not like porting a game over to the Switch is as easy as flipping a...Switch...

If it was that easy or worth that much, the DS/3DS would have seen copies of P3P or P4G release. It would have made sense right? The 3DS sold well more than the Vita, even after a rocky start so it would have been a smart idea to port it right? Just because you think it's "good business sense" to port a game doesn't mean that's actually good business sense. Unless you have info the rest of us don't, none of us really know if it would make sense to port it.

Playing it on the go would be pretty awesome, right? I think Atlus/Sega looks at a little more before throwing money at a project.
I'm no developer but Persona 5 runs on PS3. It shouldn't be that big of a hurdle to get that game on Switch, right? Or to put it another way, the difference between PS2 and 3DS was greater than between PS3 and Switch, I assume.

A 3DS port of Golden made perfect business sense. But was it technically feasible to a degree that Atlus was comfortable with? I'd doubt that.

I mean.. on the one hand: yes. But on the other hand
isdxdIP.gif

Great song tho
Our one true shame. Everything else is A-game.
2016 never happened.

Doesn't Sony have rights to mainline numbered Persona games? Or did am I misremembering?

If there is a chance I don't have to buy a Pro for P5 I will wait.

I don't know. If you really want to play Persona 5 right now you shouldn't wait. Even if it was to come to Switch, who knows how the performance would be. I'm OK with waiting since Persona isn't that high on my list of priorities. But I know people have been waiting for years for that game. I'm just not one of them. That's all.

With the impending release of P5, the guilt of never finishing P4G is beginning to creep up on me. I know many people here said it being on handheld was the only reason they were able to finish it, but for me it allowed me to push it to the side for newer console games so often I have not touched it in at least a year, so I will probably start over.

But my fear is that if I give in and choose to not play P5 until I finish P4G, by the time I finish P4G I will have some Persona fatigue and not have a desire to play 5 for the foreseeable future; or if I play 5 first, I will not want to go back to play 4.

It all lines up perfectly as my backlog is slimming (Nier Automata, Hitman Episodes 4-6, Attack on Titan), with only Yooka Laylee potentially grabbing my interest until at least the FFXII remake.

oti

Banned
With the impending release of P5, the guilt of never finishing P4G is beginning to creep up on me. I know many people here said it being on handheld was the only reason they were able to finish it, but for me it allowed me to push it to the side for newer console games so often I have not touched it in at least a year, so I will probably start over.

But my fear is that if I give in and choose to not play P5 until I finish P4G, by the time I finish P4G I will have some Persona fatigue and not have a desire to play 5 for the foreseeable future; or if I play 5 first, I will not want to go back to play 4.

It all lines up perfectly as my backlog is slimming (Nier Automata, Hitman Episodes 4-6, Attack on Titan), with only Yooka Laylee potentially grabbing my interest until at least the FFXII remake.

Just finish P4G and wait for the Golden Version of P5 whatever that will be.

Top Bottom