• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

daveo42

Banned
With the impending release of P5, the guilt of never finishing P4G is beginning to creep up on me. I know many people here said it being on handheld was the only reason they were able to finish it, but for me it allowed me to push it to the side for newer console games so often I have not touched it in at least a year, so I will probably start over.

But my fear is that if I give in and choose to not play P5 until I finish P4G, by the time I finish P4G I will have some Persona fatigue and not have a desire to play 5 for the foreseeable future; or if I play 5 first, I will not want to go back to play 4.

It all lines up perfectly as my backlog is slimming (Nier Automata, Hitman Episodes 4-6, Attack on Titan), with only Yooka Laylee potentially grabbing my interest until at least the FFXII remake.

I beat P4G before going back and playing P3 FES and it didn't make either game less enjoyable. The lack of direct control in combat was definitely missed, but playing them out of order didn't make P3 FES any less fun. If you really want to play P5, I'd play it now instead of playing Golden and 5 back to back. Persona fatigue is totally a thing, if only because of how long each game can be. By the end of 3 I never wanted to see Tartarus ever again.

Or, wait for P5R or whatever name they'll use for the handheld version of the game that will come out on the next Sony handheld in about five years. That'll give you some time to finish Golden.

Mr. F

Banned
For those who listened to the Mixlr, did Jeff seem all the way negative on ME:A? It was interesting listening to Austin describe his time with it as a total slog until 30 hours in where it got ever so slightly better.

Meneses

I definitely prefer playing JRPGs / turn-based stuff on handhelds.

Would be cool to have Persona 5
or any game, really xD
on the Switch, even if i don't find it very comfortable.

For those who listened to the Mixlr, did Jeff seem all the way negative on ME:A? It was interesting listening to Austin describe his time with it as a total slog until 30 hours in where it got ever so slightly better.

Hearing Austin say this made me feel insane. I dunno if I'll ever play Andromeda. I even like Mass Effect 1 and 2 a lot, and feel apprehensive about replaying them because of all the filler (driving to corners of planets for objectives, all the fucking scanning in 2, and in general just the constant boring on-foot traversal to complete quests), I can't imagine playing a game that offers little of value for over 30 hours.

I know that some of that stuff makes those games feel like worlds and are important to how they express their RPG-ness, but I would love it if I could get the full replay experience without doing what feels like filler after a playthrough (although the scanning in 2 felt so bad even the first time). I recently replayed the Dead Space games, and it was nice to just be able to play them and have pretty much all of the game feel worthwhile. And I don't think DA: Origins has this issue either.

Jennipeg

So that's worse than Final Fantasy XIII right? (Although I liked XIII myself).

Man... I still can't believe Bioware keeps bringing planet scanning back. I'm, like, in shock. It's the worst game mechanic in all of their games and they keep on bringing it back!

Although I guess it makes the Sudoku look like a gameplay innovation next to it.

Man... I still can't believe Bioware keeps bringing planet scanning back. I'm, like, in shock. It's the worst game mechanic in all of their games and they keep on bringing it back!

"A Mr. Gerstmann from Petaluma CA wrote in and said he liked the scanning, so we thought we'd keep it."

Although I guess it makes the Sudoku look like a gameplay innovation next to it.

Bioware shit the bed with terrible game design decisions since Inquisition. Focusing on huge land masses with 100s of 2010 Korean MMO meaningless sidequests and putting mobile game timer bullshit on top of that. I wouldn't be shocked if they never make a good game again.

BearPawB

Banned
Planet Scanning isn't a necessarily bad idea!

But it should be: A) Not the slowest thing in videogames B) Give you actually some sort of value for doing it

I like to see weird planets.
But most of them have nothing. Then you spend all the time it takes to scan just to get some platinum.

Inquisition was a good game that understandably turned people off. The beginning isn't aggressively bad, but it's easy to get lost in it which makes the good character moments seem to happy very far away.
You can get so focused on ticking every check mark it makes the game feel like a slog

Can't believe they would host Danny, a guy who supported Colin. By the transitive prop I think we can all agree that Giant Bomb members likely support Colin's Last Stand. it's honestly disgusting

Brad: "I wish I had played more of Dragon Age: Inquisition"
Jeff: " NO, NO, NO "

That was a good moment. It took me a moment to get what Brad meant.
Planet Scanning isn't a necessarily bad idea!

But it should be: A) Not the slowest thing in videogames B) Give you actually some sort of value for doing it

I like to see weird planets.
But most of them have nothing. Then you spend all the time it takes to scan just to get some platinum.

Inquisition was a good game that understandably turned people off. The beginning isn't aggressively bad, but it's easy to get lost in it which makes the good character moments seem to happy very far away.
You can get so focused on ticking every check mark it makes the game feel like a slog
Planet scanning is a bad game mechanic, straight up. It adds nothing but tedium to the game, and exists for... no reason at all. It is Bioware mistaking content for gameplay, something they do a lot. (e.g. DAI's riveting submarine gathering.)

Like, you know how RPGs tend to have minigames? KotOR has Pazaak, Witcher has cards, etc? Well, Mass Effect has planet scanning.

daveo42

Banned
Can't believe they would host Danny, a guy who supported Colin. By the transitive prop I think we can all agree that Giant Bomb members likely support Colin's Last Stand. it's honestly disgusting

I had to pull out my Patreon funds from Drew yesterday because of the same thing, it was heartbreaking.

Not to defend Colin, but do you think the reason why they are giving money to his Patreon is more because he's a fellow games journalist and not specifically because they agree with his political or social views?

Megasoum

Banned
I'm not really a big fan of turn based games normally but I must at that I'm curious for P5. I never touched (or really even seen) any of the Persona games.

Is it actually announced for the Switch? Bein able to play during my lunch breaks would be nice.

Xater

I'm not really a big fan of turn based games normally but I must at that I'm curious for P5. I never touched (or really even seen) any of the Persona games.

Is it actually announced for the Switch? Bein able to play during my lunch breaks would be nice.

No, that game will most likely just stay on Playstation.

Hindl

No they announced they have no plans to bring it to Switch

daveo42

Banned

It's not, but you should at least watch the Persona 4 ER if you're interested in what kind of game Persona 5 will be. I'd say it's a good series to get into.

Jennipeg

I can't imagine Jeff having much patience for it. Drew and Danny both have patreon's, I think its more to do with supporting a fellow games journalist going it alone than his actual political beliefs.

Curufinwe

Danny on Bombcast along with Mike Mahardy

There was a great moment in the latest Resident Kinevil video where Mike and Mary Kish met up with the Regenerators. She really, really, REALLY did not like them, and Mike's RE4 advice hasn't been the best for keeping her out of trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNGEuRRy-5g&t=28m02s

He was trying to lead her to the thermal scope, but it was actually in another room altogether, so Mary got cornered and then killed.

Megasoum

Banned
The planet scanning in ME2 wasn't great, no denying that. However, after they patched it to make it go like twice as fast it really wasn't all that bad.

I bought MEA and I'm genuinely curious to try it even if nothing I've seen so far looks good or interesting but I gotta say, I'm with Brad... All this stuff really makes me want to do a replay of the original trilogy. Or at least 2 and 3 anyway...

I never actually played FemShep even if everybody keep saying she's the best so might be a good occasion to try that.

I know 2 and 3 work fine on PC but how's 1? Any technical issues in modern PCs?

Top Bottom