• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

gray_fox224

Have you never watched UPF before? You should check out the first few year I'd say, some peak GB content in there. Maybe year two is also as good, I can't really remember.

It's just felt pretty stale in it's current format. I'm surprised you've not seen some people shitting on it hardcore in this thread. The format of "four people pick a random game" feels pretty rigid, and often times it feels like no one actually cares about the game they brought in, which usually means it's not really fun or enjoyable to watch as a viewer.

I'm one of the two people that have seen it. What do you want to know?

Is it worth a watch?

Mr. F

Banned
As someone who is about to start their first dungeon after 30 hours, y'all are harshing my mellow a bit. But I totally could see the whole being greater than the sum of its parts in terms of finally getting around to ganon.

Hindl

I think a more elaborate Hyrule Castle would have helped as well. I literally just ran past everything. Also I was a bit disappointed it was only just Moblins and Lizafos in the castle as well.

I really liked Hyrule Castle. Sure you could run past everything, but it's fun to explore the castle. I liked how it felt like an actual castle where people lived many years ago instead of the general big room of other Zeldas. Enemy variety is a problem throughout the game, wasn't really expecting them to save something for the castle

Alucrid

Banned
does this nier video get good. and i don't mean does nier get good because i already beat it, but jeff and jason only seems like a snooze fest.

Salarians

art

Nope only plays A Lone Prayer :(
2579254-4479628116-iWot3.gif

original battle theme or no sale

bakedpony

That Persona 5 quick look is not the best "quick look" of the game because they haven't reached where the game actually starts. We haven't really seen the school mechanics, the social links and real dungeons. Newcomers to the game will not get a good idea of the gameplay loop of Persona.

Surely that can't be the end of their Persona 5 coverage right? An Endurance Run is out of the question but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of their Persona 5 videos yet.

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking lol

I really liked Hyrule Castle. Sure you could run past everything, but it's fun to explore the castle. I liked how it felt like an actual castle where people lived many years ago instead of the general big room of other Zeldas. Enemy variety is a problem throughout the game, wasn't really expecting them to save something for the castle

That's a fair point. I wasn't sure what the castle/Ganon was going to hold so I kinda zoomed past all the encounters to save my weapons. Turns out that wasn't really necessary. Next time I through I'll explore more.

Jintor

I dunno it reminded me more of a
Dark Souls/Bloodborne
design than Zelda. Just a
multi-armed and legged blob monster.
I thought the
pig Ganon design was excellent though, maybe the best Ganon I've seen

Oh, I dunno.
Cyberzombie Gannon is prettttty fuckin' rad

Prediction: Brad will save ME:A from Most Disappointing during GOTY.

I could see it winning. Jeff will come with a "Mass Effect 3 was already super disappointing, what did you expect?" angle, it's clearly the front runner so far this year.

I expect plenty of "5 years!!" and "When you look at the heights that Mass Effect reached...."

daveo42

Banned
Finally watched that Destiny 2 CG trailer. As much as I was disappointed by the first game and everything that came (or didn't come) with it, I'm actually interested. I hope they actually have a story worth anything resembling a damn this time around. Also, I do love me some Nathan Fillion.

Mr. F

Banned
Finally getting to one of the divine beasts, I get why people were underwhelmed by their brevity. I was hyped for an old fashioned dungeon inside that cool robo elephant but it's felt like a slightly more elaborate shrine

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Finally getting to one of the divine beasts, I get why people were underwhelmed by their brevity. I was hyped for an old fashioned dungeon inside that cool robo elephant but it's felt like a slightly more elaborate shrine

I've done three of them so far, including that one. There's another one of similar brevity, but then the third I did felt more substantial. It probably wasn't actually larger but the stuff I was doing felt more involved and took longer

Mr. F

Banned
I've done three of them so far, including that one. There's another one of similar brevity, but then the third I did felt more substantial. It probably wasn't actually larger but the stuff I was doing felt more involved and took longer

That's good to know, I guess the game kind of guides you to do Ruta first but it was a bit of a letdown how easy it was. At the same time that's probably the trade off of having it so open ended, probably would have been more novel if I hadn't done dozens of shrines beforehand.

Been in a relative blackout as I get through it, but from the screenshots I did see of the beast maps I pictured the scale on the inside being a lot more dramatic compared to Link. Dampened my excitement to see the others a bit but considering I'm over 30 hours and have huge swaths of map yet to explore I guess I can't be too mad.

I kind of treat the lead-up to the Divine Beast as part of the "dungeon" itself, so I'm not too concerned with the length. Only done two so far, and while I would also appreciate dungeons, I wouldn't want to give up the Divine Beasts for them, either; they're so wonderfully mythic.

Still remember getting my mind blown when Gamexplain pointed out two of the Divine Beasts (in plain view! and everything!) in their BotW mega-analysis (2 hours for a 3 minute trailer or so). Was completely gobsmacked. That video was such a fun watch leading up to release.

I kind of treat the lead-up to the Divine Beast as part of the "dungeon" itself, so I'm not too concerned with the length. Only done two so far, and while I would also appreciate dungeons, I wouldn't want to give up the Divine Beasts for them, either; they're so wonderfully mythic.

Still remember getting my mind blown when Gamexplain pointed out two of the Divine Beasts (in plain view! and everything!) in their BotW mega-analysis (2 hours for a 3 minute trailer or so). Was completely gobsmacked. That video was such a fun watch leading up to release.

Divine Beasts would've been awesome encounters in the world, while you had proper dungeons for main quests. You'd see them wandering around a certain area, and rather than abandoning the open world nature of the game, it was up to you to figure how to board them. Maybe that main quest/dungeon gave you a tool or ability to help. But like with Hyrule Castle, you could've done it the hard way without the help.

I was more underwhelmed by how samey they were. You do one, you've done all of them. Smaller dungeons could have worked if they weren't so formulaic. And maybe if the boss fights were better.

And the whole "do the dungeons in any order" thing doesn't really work here, just as it didn't in ALBW. All the dungeons need to be the same because any of them could be the first dungeon design isn't great. Keep the open world freeform, but having some sort of progression to the dungeons would have been preferable. Nothing is really gained by letting you do them in any order.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I beat Route A of Nier last night
And found the first hour or so of route B to be a complete snoozefest.

game:Want to know what 9s was doing during the game intro?
Me:Uh...sure?
Game:NOTHING INTERESTING OR FUN TO PLAY!

Game:Want to do a lot more of this shitty hacking mini game?
Me: No not really
Game: TOO BAD!

And Route A was like, 80% boring nothingness, with a couple of hours of awesome.

I'm sure the later playthroughs are worth it...but idk if im gonna make it if B continues to be this dull
Route B is really short, so if you got that far I think you should continue playing.
I did all side quests during route A and it took me 22 hours. Route B was maybe 4-5, because I didn't finish all side quests and you can just warp to story locations.

If you find the combat boring, you might try experimenting with different melee/pod weapons, since there's quite a lot of variation there. Using the same stuff through the whole game can definitely get monotonous.

Does anyone know which bombcast Drew talks about using X-Plane to train for his pilot's license because I just bought X-Plane 11 to do the same.

Mr. F

Banned
Divine Beasts would've been awesome encounters in the world, while you had proper dungeons for main quests. You'd see them wandering around a certain area, and rather than abandoning the open world nature of the game, it was up to you to figure how to board them. Maybe that main quest/dungeon gave you a tool or ability to help. But like with Hyrule Castle, you could've done it the hard way without the help.

That would have been awesome. Kind of what I had hoped for going in, along with more cave/underground exploration (at least I haven't encountered any in my time so far...not really counting the shrines since they're sectioned off behind magic load screens at all times).

I was more underwhelmed by how samey they were. You do one, you've done all of them. Smaller dungeons could have worked if they weren't so formulaic. And maybe if the boss fights were better.

And the whole "do the dungeons in any order" thing doesn't really work here, just as it didn't in ALBW. All the dungeons need to be the same because any of them could be the first dungeon design isn't great. Keep the open world freeform, but having some sort of progression to the dungeons would have been preferable. Nothing is really gained by letting you do them in any order.

I'm of two minds on it. I get that there are concessions design-wise like you mentioned but I really do appreciate that I'm not being railroaded from one dungeon to the next and can choose to approach a divine beast in whatever part of the world I happen to be invested in at a given time. Granted I've only done one beast so far but my only real complaint about it was that there just wasn't 'enough' to feel like as grand a mission as the narrative had built it up to be. Hell, a lot of the shrines I've come across had me more stumped.

Also I never played ALBW, but wasn't the idea that you'd have to go seek out/rent the item that was required to make progress? That didn't sound all too bad.

Top Bottom