• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

2929149-snakepass.jpg

Quick Look: Snake Pass
Witnesss Brad and Jeff ssserpentine and ssslither around on their sssearch for crystalsss.

---
Kinda Funny had the developer on their most recent Gamescast (Danny O'Dwyer was also on) during the fourth and final segment. That guy (and his road to game development) is fascinating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez7VSMPldgg

With him being in SF recently, it's a shame GB didn't do a QuickLook EX.

That's incredibly fascinating, thanks for sharing. What a damn cool dude.

Welp, old fwb just moved in to my town house. �� Dunno how awk this is gonna be yet.

jghbc8sjk.gif

Mupod

Oh I know W101 is an amazing game, but it's sufficiently different from the standard one-chara character action (the permanent third-person view for instance) that it kind of falls outside the mould.

it's also not as combo based I think... more about dropping standalone Constructs

https://youtu.be/bya_kIINBfQ

this is the kind of thing I mean...W101 is a lot deeper than it seems on the surface, but you need to be a Jedi to pull it off. As varied as the game is, enough of it features these core combat mechanics that I still definitely think of it as the same genre as DMC/Bayonetta/etc. You can certainly go nuts with combos just as much as any other Platinum game if you're good enough.

The thing is, I don't think I am good enough to play it at the level I wanted to. Part of why I liked Bayonetta 2 so much is that the easier execution makes it a lot more feasible for my old man brain and hands to put the combo in my head into practical use. But yeah, not really trying to be argumentative or anything, I just have a ton of respect for W101's gameplay.

Back to Nier Automata, I caved in and got it last night even though P5 is gonna derail everything. But after playing the demo a million times, I'm hoping it's got some of that hidden depth as it seems a lot simpler/more straightforward. I'm not some DMC exhibition badass but I still try to come up with flashy stuff to keep the mundane encounters interesting. I wonder if I'll find it tiresome by the end if I keep that mindset.

Curufinwe

Since we're on Nier right now:

How many side quests should I realistically be doing? Someone told me to make sure I do
Emil's side quests
but are there any other ones that I should make sure that I focus on? The side quests are the one aspect of the game I'm not digging so far because they're too fetch questy for my liking.

Am I going to be under leveled if I don't do them?

It's so easy on Normal that I don't think being under leveled will matter. I've died three times total after close to 20 hours.

I'm about one third of the way into route B and have only done 10% of the quests.

Moaradin

How many side quests should I realistically be doing? Someone told me to make sure I do
Emil's side quests
but are there any other ones that I should make sure that I focus on? The side quests are the one aspect of the game I'm not digging so far because they're too fetch questy for my liking.

IMO most sidequest are worth doing to learn more about the world/characters, even if the things you're actually doing are pretty basic. They really add to the story and general themes of the game.

Though if you need to know which ones are essential, this is a good list.

patapuf

Emil's side quests

You should do the sidequests that interest you narratively or are about a character you like. That's the best part about the sidequests. Some give good context about the world and further backstories.

Your level isn't a problem, pretty much ever. You can always use a chip for more exp if you feel underleveld.

It's so easy on Normal that I don't think being under leveled will matter. I've died three times total after close to 20 hours.

I'm about one third of the way into route B and have only done 10% of the quests.

IMO most sidequest are worth doing to learn more about the world/characters, even if the things you're actually doing are pretty basic. They really add to the story and general themes of the game.

Though if you need to know which ones are essential, this is a good list.

Thanks. I actually agree that the writing to go along with the quests has been pretty good all-round, I just have a low threshold for what are perceive as busy work.

That list looks solid. About 20/60 side quests is about the percentage I'd be wanting to do, I think. I'll focus on those ones.

tuxfool

Banned
Then so far the story hasn't done much but I understand that the first run through is limited in narrative and I'm still early on. I just expected a bit more character development for 2B and 9S at least.

The game is predicated on this. You'll understand...if you finish the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I grabbed Snake Pass as soon as the DF analysis confirmed the Switch version was largely fine. It just looks like such a fun, bite sized little exploration of a concept

tuxfool

Banned
Alright, I'll stick with it. I guess I'll do fewer side quests. The movement and combat feels very good but I need to switch back to hard because normal is really boring.

There is a catch 22, I'll say do the most important sidequests listed earlier in the thread.

None of them are critical, but I felt that they greatly enhanced my appreciation for the story. I wouldn't have liked the game nearly as much, if I hadn't done the sidequests.

Mr. F

Banned
Man Harmonix really can't catch a break, I can't imagine what morale must be like over there after four layoffs in five years. At this rate I'm not sure they'll survive this gen.

Man Harmonix really can't catch a break, I can't imagine what morale must be like over there after four layoffs in five years. At this rate I'm not sure they'll survive this gen.
I feel like they're stuck in a bad place. Probably not much money for a new idea and Rock Band isn't making nearly the money it used to. Their future is uncertain for sure.

Yessss. Fast and Furious 6 has the best action set pieces and it's when it goes full crazy over the top. Therefore it will get the best reactions. Planes, Tanks and Automobiles!

J_Viper

Yeah, these Nier side quests have some fun writing, but they're just so fucking boring from a gameplay perspective, especially when the main content is so nuts and compelling. I think I'm gonna mainline it too.

Platinum needs to just focus on linear experiences. It's what they excel at. The open world in this doesn't need to be here at all.

BearPawB

Banned
Yeah, these Nier side quests have some fun writing, but they're just so fucking boring from a gameplay perspective, especially when the main content is so nuts and compelling. I think I'm gonna mainline it too.

Platinum needs to just focus on linear experiences. It's what they excel at. The open world in this doesn't need to be here at all.

It's sorta what makes Nier Nier though.
So I understand.
But not only are they boring to play, the rewards you get often suck.

There's a way to make these sidequests good. They just need to find a way.

Really, it's a Yoko Taro game, not a Platinum game.

Top Bottom