• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Also I never played ALBW, but wasn't the idea that you'd have to go seek out/rent the item that was required to make progress? That didn't sound all too bad.

Except you can easily rent all of the items at the beginning of the game so it essentially amounted to a "you start with everything" setup. And none of the dungeons could count on you having more than one item so they ended up pretty simplified in terms of what tools you needed to use.

T.A.L

I don't think I've ever laughed harder than during the p5 quicklook. "You're a garbage boy."

The banter every time pimp hat shop owner showed up was great.

That Persona 5 quick look is not the best "quick look" of the game because they haven't reached where the game actually starts. We haven't really seen the school mechanics, the social links and real dungeons. Newcomers to the game will not get a good idea of the gameplay loop of Persona.

Surely that can't be the end of their Persona 5 coverage right? An Endurance Run is out of the question but I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of their Persona 5 videos yet.

Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking lol
Very wishful.
Maybe we'll get a playdate with Vinny or something, but I don't know they'll do more video content.

Which, yeah, is a shame.

Dany

Banned
I liked it for what it was. It's no where near as good as the original trilogy and I love each of those games for different reason. I have probably played the first two games at least 100 hrs each.

There is a lot to enjoy. The planets, the exploring, squad mates, combat are the best in the series. I quite enjoy the writing, and the dialogue. Most animations are shitty and all side content are dog shit. They packed too much "grinding the numbers" bullshit in this game and it detracts a lot sometimes. They needed to streamline the eff out of this game and it just sucks that I probably won't ever touch this game again.

Zaph

Beat mass effect: A.

2/3 of my NPC's were in T-pose for the last cutscene.

Yup, I can't remember the last 'AAA' game I played where every 3 to 5 minutes something was broken. Not just animation either, it could a waypoint in the wrong place, quest stage not triggering, crew members in two locations at once, skill changes not saving, the list goes on. Even with financial considerations, it's remarkable EA released this.

I mainlined most of the game because I just had to know, but then went back to try one of the planet colonisation major side-quests, encountered an awfully designed puzzle (Elaaden Vault) and quit.

Curious to see what the 4th April apology tour looks like.

Jintor

man

(persona 5 spoils... nothing concrete)

japanese voice direction never bothers to go get actual people who speak english to play parts that are supposed to speak english

i guess their core audience doesn't give a shit, but still

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
man

japanese voice direction never bothers to go get actual people who speak english to play parts that are supposed to speak english

i guess their core audience doesn't give a shit, but still

Oh you should play steinsgate 0.

It gets hilarious with that.

Edit: ok seriously this beastcast has so little flow it's kinda fucking me up. Or it has too much flow and keeps flowing to different places. I can't decide yet.

Jintor

cool now i'm asking foreigners about japanese stuff and, in japanese, they're all like "WOAH YOU'RE JAPANESE THAT MEANS YOU CAN TELL ME ABOUT SAMURAI AND GEISHA RIGHT"

except... they're all saying it in japanese...

nobody ever does languages right

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, this week we got a bombcast that is vastly superior to the beastcast.

This is like a tangent in the middle of every single conversation. Sometimes those tangents have tangents.

I'm about 5-6 hours through Neir:A and I really like the story so far, but this gameplay is not jiving well with me...

When I use my robot dude to shoot bullets or missiles at the enemies the dang explosions hide the enemy move patterns and I can't see them for periods of time as they prepare attacks or are dodging. Is there different costumes or something, because when I'm fighting enemies (especially bosses on 2d planes or hordes of enemies) I get confused between 2B and 9S because they look so damn similar during frantic combat. I feel like I've taken several hits from enemies when the weapons were clearly about a meter or two away from actually making contact with my character.

I finally got fast travel last night which is really nice because I would get lost trying to find my way around that world since so many buildings/textures were repeating and traversing that world is pretty lame, especially after coming off Zelda.

I think I'm going to just mainline the story and skip the pretty uninspiring side quests and if I keep feeling like the combat is not fun I'm just gonna bump it down to easy to experience the story.

Jintor

here's my ultimate tip for all platinum games: you don't need to watch the move patterns to determine when to dodge. All attacks have a very audible sound cue that is precisely timed to let you know when to tap the button. Failing that just watch for the red flash.

there's a few costume pieces here and there but they don't really change the whole body, just stick a flower in your hair or whatever. It is a distinct visual identifier tho

Hasney

Honestly, the combat in Nier:A being almost Bayonetta light got repetitive by the end of the game, so I just threw it on easy and auto-fire on. I needed to get those main endings and was loving that aspect. Still well worth playing.

Jintor

I think Platinum's most interesting combat systems are all variations on Bayo... with the exception of Vanquish which is obviously its own thing. The important thing I think is that combos end with a big 'finisher' move that has different properties to normal attacks. In Bayo it's wicked weaves, in Transformers it's vehicle attacks. W101 runs it a little differently by needing you to use up extra mans to form free-floating constructs, but it's not a pure action game in any event.

Rising is interesting but most of the strategy ends up just being blade cancelling and knowing where to do it so you can amp combo efficiency.

I honestly think Transformers has the best combat system of all of them but it's severely impacted by the shitty weapons loot garbage they layered on top. Though I think it's interesting that that is another combat system where you have a easy switch to third-person shooting, kinda like Nier:A.

I still haven't played Korra.

pizzacat

Banned
Man, this week we got a bombcast that is vastly superior to the beastcast.

This is like a tangent in the middle of every single conversation. Sometimes those tangents have tangents.
I've been saying east is a very old man place but this podcast was even more proof. Why are people writing to them like some sort of radio thing for advice?

I've been saying east is a very old man place but this podcast was even more proof. Why are people writing to them like some sort of radio thing for advice?

Haven't listened to this weeks Beastcast, but it seems like the podcast is turning more and more into My Brother My Brother and Me which is not what I want. They keep doing these name X things about a country, is this word a transformer or a computer part, what do I do if someone leans back in an airplane seat... I worry if they keep down this path it will end up being a life advice podcast where people are asking the best way to get out of the friend zone and ask a girl out.

Mupod

Just finished the Bombcast. Had no idea Greg Kasavin was a Super Robot Wars fan. I don't keep up with the newer games, but like him I frequently find myself going down that youtube rabbit hole and watching the insane attack animations.

https://youtu.be/X7WaRZpOV_I

The GBA games left a big impression on me too, hell I use Alteisen as my avatar in a lot of places.

I think Platinum's most interesting combat systems are all variations on Bayo... with the exception of Vanquish which is obviously its own thing. The important thing I think is that combos end with a big 'finisher' move that has different properties to normal attacks. In Bayo it's wicked weaves, in Transformers it's vehicle attacks. W101 runs it a little differently by needing you to use up extra mans to form free-floating constructs, but it's not a pure action game in any event.

Rising is interesting but most of the strategy ends up just being blade cancelling and knowing where to do it so you can amp combo efficiency.

I honestly think Transformers has the best combat system of all of them but it's severely impacted by the shitty weapons loot garbage they layered on top. Though I think it's interesting that that is another combat system where you have a easy switch to third-person shooting, kinda like Nier:A.

I still haven't played Korra.

W101 is actually insanely complex and is definitely up there with other platinum games in terms of its combat systems. To the point where even as a fan of the cuhrayzee action game genre, it's intimidating. You don't need to go that deep but man, Saur's video tutorials on it opened my mind.

Transformers was pretty cool, I doubt I'll ever finish it as I started to lose interest when it became more about finding loot than doing sick combos. But Grimlock was a lot of fun to play as.

Jintor

W101 is actually insanely complex and is definitely up there with other platinum games in terms of its combat systems. To the point where even as a fan of the cuhrayzee action game genre, it's intimidating. You don't need to go that deep but man, Saur's video tutorials on it opened my mind.

Transformers was pretty cool, I doubt I'll ever finish it as I started to lose interest when it became more about finding loot than doing sick combos. But Grimlock was a lot of fun to play as.

Oh I know W101 is an amazing game, but it's sufficiently different from the standard one-chara character action (the permanent third-person view for instance) that it kind of falls outside the mould.

it's also not as combo based I think... more about dropping standalone Constructs

I'm struggling a bit to stick with Nier. I guess I can't decide between Normal and Hard. Normal is way too easy. Hard, I should probably stick with but the boss fight with the boss they had in the GB East video had some annoying one shot attacks at the very end of the fight that convinced me that later, harder bosses would be very frustrating. I guess it wasn't that bad, it was just late at night, I had to stop playing and died 3 times at the very end and the next day I just wanted to get back to where I was. Unfortunately, normal was effortless. The one shot attacks were like a quarter the damage.

Then so far the story hasn't done much but I understand that the first run through is limited in narrative and I'm still early on. I just expected a bit more character development for 2B and 9S at least.

Since we're on Nier right now:

How many side quests should I realistically be doing? Someone told me to make sure I do
Emil's side quests
but are there any other ones that I should make sure that I focus on? The side quests are the one aspect of the game I'm not digging so far because they're too fetch questy for my liking.

Am I going to be under leveled if I don't do them?

Top Bottom