• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Hindl

It's not like the 3DS or the WiiU launched much better though.

The Wii U and 3DS they legitimately just fucked up. I think the difference here is that you saw Nintendo fix some of the issues with those two systems after launch when they got feedback, whereas with the Switch you can see they already are planning for that stuff before the thing even launches. From what they've said about VC, online, browsing/multimedia apps, etc. it seems to me that they realize they're launching it undercooked, and by the fall they plan for this to be a fully robust device you'd expect from a modern console. They just didn't have enough time, but they have the roadmap even before it launches. Wii U and 3DS just seemed like Nintendo was truly blind to what the industry around them was like and thought they were launching a good product. I think they get it this time, but again, just don't buy it yet. If you aren't a diehard Nintendo fan, it's just a flat-out bad investment

All of this is ignoring the games argument, which yeah, is pretty bad from 3DS to Wii U to Switch for the first 6 months. But I'll cut them slack there because hardly any console launches with legitimately good games

patapuf

I feel like it's boring to set the game in a different universe but 5/6th of your squad will still be the old aliens and humans. Gimme some new aliens. Wouldn't that be the ideal way to tell the story of this new universe? Have some perspective of aliens who already inhabit it?

Also I really hope crafting dies a quick and painful death as soon as possible. I don't why people like crafting.

Yeah, that's my biggest peeve with the "reboot". It seems like it's mostly same old with a couple of new aliens for flavour.

I get why, but it's still disapointing.

Meguro

Banned
I played so much Pilot Wings. It's not even that good of a game, but it's all I had.

I played too much of the 3DS version of SF4. Way, way, way too much.

I'll buy almost anything if it's shiny and made by Nintendo

That applies to me most of the time. Sometimes it's a little too far, like amiibos.

Absolutely the same. I'm actually kinda embarrassed how stupid I am with my money and Nintendo.

Is SF4 3DS better than SF5 though?

No.
Yes

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What about this one?
Can the PS4 play audio cd's yet? Or is that coming in the next firmware.

I can't believe you are serious about this.

I played so much Pilot Wings. It's not even that good of a game, but it's all I had.

Man, don't even remind me. Also it was using Miis, right? Urgh
I bought some Tom Clancy strategy game (which turned out to be pretty alright, if super easy) and those were my only two games for an eternity.

Oh my god, ME:A has ME3's lazy-ass sidequests that you just accept through osmosis.

AND WHY IS JEFF PRAISING THIS

The issue with ME3 was less the mechanic, and more the execution. "Here, I heard you wanted this space rock!" Also made weird by the urgency of impending doom in ME3.

This mechanic done right is something like the Hitman opportunities, which show up just by walking near something sometimes.

tuxfool

Banned
Oh my god, ME:A has ME3's lazy-ass sidequests that you just accept through osmosis.

Because Jeff likes repetitive and mechanical assemblages in open world games. Given his like for something like Far Cry, I just don't see him caring about proper sidequests.

Honestly if not for the lack of guns I would have said Dragon Age Inquisition would be the perfect game for Jeff.

daveo42

Banned
That Switch thread is just...woof. I think Nintendo can and do make good products, but some people seem far too willing to bend over backwards to justify their love of the company. Switch launch has been shaping up to be a hot mess for months.

Who the fuck still has audio CDs?

I've purchased new ones in the past year. I must be stuck in some sort of format hell from a period long lost to time. Or something.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm starting to get hyped for Andromeda. They've done a really shitty job marketing it but seeing some of the gameplay now has got me pretty excited. Maybe I'm easy to please but even if it does turn out to just be a better version of Inquistion with less filler and with actually fun combat rather than the fucking slog that DAI's was, then I'll enjoy it.

Hindl

i bought some recently.

Alright fair. But I bet you probably have a dedicated device to listen to them, and aren't expecting to hear them on your PS4

That Switch thread is just...woof. I think Nintendo can and do make good products, but some people seem far too willing to bend over backwards to justify their love of the company. Switch launch has been shaping up to be a hot mess for months.

I've purchased new ones in the past year. I must be stuck in some sort of format hell from a period long lost to time. Or something.

Same point as above for the CDs. As for Nintendo it's kinda crazy. I don't think the launch will be a hot mess as much as what Schreier said: undercooked

Fantastapotamus

I mean I won't deny that I'm a huge Nintendo fan. To me they are by far the best developer out there. But geez at this point I'd rather buy an old WiiU to play Breath of the Wild (or borrow one from a friend which is what I'm doing).

Haven't seen todays video on ME:A but what I have seen so far just looks so boring. I enjoyed the first 3 a ton but this just looks like they made it even more of a 3rd person shooter than it already was. Probably gonna be skipping it unless the preview shows something drastically different.

Fantastapotamus

Shadow Wars was a modern XCOM-ish game in a time before XCOM Enemy Unknown. I liked it. Shinobi 3D was another fun early 3DS game.

I remember it being more like Fire Emblem.

Edit: Okay, well, FE and XCOM are basically the same genre. Never really thought about that until now

Xater

I mean I won't deny that I'm a huge Nintendo fan. To me they are by far the best developer out there. But geez at this point I'd rather buy an old WiiU to play Breath of the Wild (or borrow one from a friend which is what I'm doing).

I have a friend who has a Wii U and is getting Swtich for whatever reason. Only game he plans on getting is Zelda. I could probably also borrow his Wii U if I really wanted to just play Zelda.

Kaizer

Banned
I feel like it's boring to set the game in a different universe but 5/6th of your squad will still be the old aliens and humans. Gimme some new aliens. Wouldn't that be the ideal way to tell the story of this new universe? Have some perspective of aliens who already inhabit it?

Also I really hope crafting dies a quick and painful death as soon as possible. I don't why people like crafting.

This is my biggest problem with the game too, I tried to express this opinion in a previous Mass Effect thread a few weeks ago & people acted like I said something crazy.

Maybe I just had really wishful thinking but my original hope for this game was that they were sorta gonna wipe the slate clean for the ME Universe - keep the basic idea of mass relays but have a totally new universe of alien races & humans that isn't tied to the past trilogy at all. Sort of like how each new Final Fantasy is a different tale from the last one in its own world while still carrying over some of the series hallmarks.

daveo42

Banned
Alright fair. But I bet you probably have a dedicated device to listen to them, and aren't expecting to hear them on your PS4

Same point as above for the CDs. As for Nintendo it's kinda crazy. I don't think the launch will be a hot mess as much as what Schreier said: undercooked

I actually only listen to audio cds in my car. I'd rather listen to vinyl at home. As for Nintendo, undercooked at this point might as well be a hot mess in my book.

LiK

True. I basically rip them to my iPhone. I use expensive headphones and sometimes the stuff that's encoded online just doesn't sound as good. I can't even listen to a lot of YouTube rips online cuz it's shit quality.

Xater

This is my biggest problem with the game too, I tried to express this opinion in a previous Mass Effect thread a few weeks ago & people acted like I said something crazy.

Maybe I just had really wishful thinking but my original hope for this game was that they were sorta gonna wipe the slate clean for the ME Universe - keep the basic idea of mass relays but have a totally new universe of alien races & humans that isn't tied to the past trilogy at all. Sort of like how each new Final Fantasy is a different tale from the last one in its own world while still carrying over some of the series hallmarks.

Totally with you. Give me my Star Trek Voyager experience of exploring new worlds and races. Then I need to make friends with those.

Catvoca

Banned

That would be infinitely more interesting, and it's a big concern for me too. The squad mates in past ME games were great characters but a big part of them was "here's the quarian we can use to explain and explore all the aspects of their culture", "here's the Krogan that will tell you about the genophage and the rachni wars" etc. Having the characters be new races just makes the characters more interesting since they have a whole new culture and history to talk to you about, and I hope ME:A's squad don't end up being a rethread of stuff because "here's another angry Krogan".

killroy87

Watching the Mass Effect preview, looks like a lot of fun. Visuals seem nice too.

And man alive, Rorie would be so much easier to listen to if he tried to, just once, speak in complete sentences. Literally everything he says is spoken in rambles, as if he's trying to speak as fast as his brain is thinking.

Xater

That would be infinitely more interesting, and it's a big concern for me too. The squad mates in past ME games were great characters but a big part of them was "here's the quarian we can use to explain and explore all the aspects of their culture", "here's the Krogan that will tell you about the genophage and the rachni wars" etc. Having the characters be new races just makes the characters more interesting since they have a whole new culture and history to talk to you about, and I hope ME:A's squad don't end up being a rethread of stuff because "here's another angry Krogan".

That new Krogan already looks like the angriest of Krogans. I mean he had fucking bones in his armor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Watching the Mass Effect preview, looks like a lot of fun. Visuals seem nice too.

And man alive, Rorie would be so much easier to listen to if he tried to, just once, speak in complete sentences. Literally everything he says is spoken in rambles, as if he's trying to speak as fast as his brain is thinking.

Rorie's rambling is awful but people in here are too focused on Jason mumbling and cursing.

The new alien is taller than the krogan. That's messed up. I think the Turian was too, but I'll let that slide.

Also, it bums me out that ME:A's multiplayer seems to be in-universe (accessed from a terminal in-game) because that suggests to me it's lacking the cool classes in ME3, and rather importing Ryder.
The issue with ME3 was less the mechanic, and more the execution. "Here, I heard you wanted this space rock!" Also made weird by the urgency of impending doom in ME3.

This mechanic done right is something like the Hitman opportunities, which show up just by walking near something sometimes.
It's just a missed opportunity in a game that's supposed to be about roleplaying. One of many.

Hitman's make more sense in the context of what the game is--you know, a world of assassination.

LiK

Yea, I think Rorie sometimes tries to speak too quickly and ends up just muttering a lot. He doesn't get on camera as often as the rest so that's probably why. He's usually better on the Bombcast.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I'd assumed this was going to be the case and this is the first I'm hearing that it's not. I don't care because I stopped caring about this series sometime during Mass Effect 2, so it's just kind of hilarious to me. I thought the entire point was that this game would be focused on completely different characters and species.

Jeff doesn't really seem to care about the boring sidequest stuff. He seems to like it (see his Horizon review or just his absolute love for Far Cry games).

I don't know what to think. My tastes align with Jeff's and he usually hates bullshit like fetch quests and collecting stuff, but with these games he doesn't seem to care.

Jeff doesn't really seem to care about the boring sidequest stuff. He seems to like it (see his Horizon review or just his absolute love for Far Cry games).

I don't know what to think. My tastes align with Jeff's and he usually hates bullshit like fetch quests and collecting stuff, but with these games he doesn't seem to care.

I think the perspective we need is...

Jeff is a clicker ("idle game") fan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This time they're the pilot! And I imagine they'll be pretty plot relevant since they got one of the 4 big ships along with HUmans Asari and Turians (putting them ahead of Krogans, Quarians, Elcor, Hanar, Batarians, Drell, etc)

They have one of the 4 big ships because they're a council race.

They were a council race in 3 too and they didn't do shit. I think Bioware regrets adding them because people don't want to fuck them or some stupid shit despite the best character in the series being a Salarian.

Top Bottom