• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

Clickers are just gaming-standard progression wheels distilled down into their logical extreme. I can actually see the appeal, but it's a very grim one.
They have one of the 4 big ships because they're a council race.

They were a council race in 3 too and they didn't do shit. I think Bioware regrets adding them because people don't want to fuck them or some stupid shit despite the best character in the series being a Salarian.
Huh, I just realised... there are no Quarians, huh? I guess it makes sense, but it's still surprising.

I really hope Andromeda sticks to the "no, seriously, this is 600 years later" idea and doesn't pull some sort of relativistic time thing to bring in stuff from the first three.

I look at those clicker games and I wonder what the appeal is.
Don't try to understand; escape while you still can

Kaizer

Banned
I'd assumed this was going to be the case and this is the first I'm hearing that it's not. I don't care because I stopped caring about this series sometime during Mass Effect 2, so it's just kind of hilarious to me. I thought the entire point was that this game would be focused on completely different characters and species.

Yeah so far they've really showed off like only two new species, one that is very obviously the "evil dudes" & the other are some type of squid-like humanoids - actually pretty cool, the one in your party is named Jaal. That's like the only new race of alien they've shown that seems to part of your party so far though.

Some have been speculating they're saving more of the new races for the actual game rather than showing them off in trailers but idk - if you went through the trouble of creating a bunch of new races, wouldn't it make sense to advertise your new game with said new races? Instead everything they've shown so far looks more like they're making sure they check off a list of boxes so they won't piss off Mass Effect tumblr shippers.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really hope Andromeda sticks to the "no, seriously, this is 600 years later" idea and doesn't pull some sort of relativistic time thing to bring in stuff from the first three.
They won't. The fact that they're acknowledging Shepard's exploits in general means they won't. Expect a lot of dumb fanservice to the old games.

All I wanted was a fresh start but I knew Bioware couldn't do it because they don't have that confidence in their writing.

I look at those clicker games and I wonder what the appeal is.

They strip away all illusions about what video games are at their core. You either embrace the revelation or go mad from it.

RPGs? Make the numbers go bigger so you can keep making the numbers go bigger.

Sports games? Literally make the numbers go bigger.

Shooters? You want your number to be bigger than the other person's number.

Sims like Roller Coaster Tycoon? Strategy games like Civ? You want the numbers to get bigger.

LiK

They strip away all illusions about what video games are at their core. You either embrace the revelation or go mad from it.

Sims like Roller Coaster Tycoon? Strategy games like Civ? You want the numbers to get bigger.

I play games for story and combat. Numbers never really appealed to me. I just had to deal with it if I need to level up to get through some tough enemies.

Catvoca

Banned
I like clickers but the prestige mechanics they all have always end up pushing me away. I like the standard progression with the numbers getting higher and higher, I hate having to reset the whole thing so they'll go up slightly faster and slightly higher. I nearly always drop them after I've prestiged 2 or 3 times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I want the numbers to go bigger so I can see the rest of the game, the story or to unlock new customization options for the city.

playing the game for the numbers to get bigger just seems like something someone would with confidence issues would do
wtzgU.gif

Also, it bums me out that ME:A's multiplayer seems to be in-universe (accessed from a terminal in-game) because that suggests to me it's lacking the cool classes in ME3, and rather importing Ryder.

While it does tie into the single player somehow, they have said the multiplayer is class-based and you will play as a bunch of different aliens. It sounds like a natural extension of ME3's MP, although we're yet to see more than 2 seconds of it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't the whole setup that they were sent out before that whole first arc even happened? So there will probably be connections.

Hindl

Clickers remind me of the issues I have with tech trees in games. Like Stardew Valley, Astroneer, Terrarria, etc. I'll obsessively play a game to unlock all the different things in the tech tree, but then once I reach the end of the tree I lose all motivation to stop playing

Isn't the whole setup that they were sent out before that whole first arc even happened? So there will probably be connections.

I suppose they have to acknowledge what happened in the 600 years they've been snoozing, but hopefully they don't lean on that too much.

This is how Jeff sees most games anyway

Cut out the middle man.

justjim89

Shooting and stuff in the new Mass Effect looks pretty solid. One of these days I'll get around to playing that first game.

I believe it's been confirmed that they were sent out at some point during ME2, during which the nature of the Reaper threat had yet to be accepted by the galaxy at large.

Gurrry

So my WiiU is bricked. Im getting antsy about Zelda coming.

Do I send it in to Nintendo for 100 bucks or just buy a refurbished one on Ebay for 100. The plus side to the ebay purchase is that I would probably get it before BoTW comes out.

However, Im not sure how I would trasnfer my account from my broken wiiU to the new one without the help of Nintendo.

Has anyone ever had do this (wiiU to wiiU transfer) before? Is it as simple as just signing into my old account or is there more to it than that?

I... actually don't like Frostbite's look. Everything looks the same. Like, it looks nice, but bland, if that makes sense.

Also the Witcher-style fire-from-hands stuff. They're inviting all of the worst comparisons by doing that.
They're either going to give the unresolved story-arcs a passing mention (like, "oh hey we got a tramission/found this arifact that explains what happened"), or have to solve them all over again. Like, I can't imagine the Krogan members of the expedition are fine with being a completely doomed race.
While it does tie into the single player somehow, they have said the multiplayer is class-based and you will play as a bunch of different aliens. It sounds like a natural extension of ME3's MP, although we're yet to see more than 2 seconds of it.

Oh, that's great.

I'm in a weird place where the multiplayer is the most exciting element. ME3's was incredible, although DAI's was beyond awful. Really depends which one it's borrowing from more.

I'll miss the cover focus of ME3 though, I liked that feeling of hunkering down and scrambling for cover. The kinetic focus of ME:A just reminds me of DAI.

Hindl

Do I send it in to Nintendo for 100 bucks or just buy a refurbished one on Ebay for 100. The plus side to the ebay purchase is that I would probably get it before BoTW comes out.

However, Im not sure how I would trasnfer my account from my broken wiiU to the new one without the help of Nintendo.

Has anyone ever had do this (wiiU to wiiU transfer) before? Is it as simple as just signing into my old account or is there more to it than that?

You have to contact Nintendo and they'll transfer your licenses to the new system.

Oh, that's great.

I'm in a weird place where the multiplayer is the most exciting element. ME3's was incredible, although DAI's was beyond awful. Really depends which one it's borrowing from more.

I'll miss the cover focus of ME3 though, I liked that feeling of hunkering down and scrambling for cover. The kinetic focus of ME:A just reminds me of DAI.

Multiplayer is the most exciting aspect of the game for me too. Somebody asked a dev if the multiplayer was like ME3 or Inquisition, and the dev said ME3. Can't find the tweet at the moment.

Also I believe the jump boost thing is an ability, so it's basically something you spec toward. I'm speculating, but I think MP will have classes that utilize the boost and many that do not and will rely on cover.

Bacon

Perfect time to get a switch!

Multiplayer is the most exciting aspect of the game for me too. Somebody asked a dev if the multiplayer was like ME3 or Inquisition, and the dev said ME3. Can't find the tweet at the moment.

Also I believe the jump boost thing is an ability, so it's basically something you spec toward. I'm speculating, but I think MP will have classes that utilize the boost and many that do not and will rely on cover.

Good news. I'd like if it uses carded unlocks (a la ME3) rather than RNG-based loot (DAI), and classes would slot into the former a lot better.

Here's hoping they show some multiplayer before launch. (I'd like to say it's a given, but the marketing has been bizarre.)

Tunoku

Man, don't even remind me. Also it was using Miis, right? Urgh
I bought some Tom Clancy strategy game (which turned out to be pretty alright, if super easy) and those were my only two games for an eternity.

On the other hand, 7 months later the system was alright. It got a massive price drop, a new color (sexy red), and two big games (Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land). That's when I bought it and felt pretty good about my purchase. I feel bad for everyone who got it at launch though.

Xater

On the other hand, 7 months later the system was alright. It got a massive price drop, a new color (sexy red), and two big games (Mario Kart 7 and Mario 3D Land). That's when I bought it and felt pretty good about my purchase. I feel bad for everyone who got it at launch though.

Switch might end up in a similar situation come fall. We will see.

LiK

early adopters always take a risk.

Good news. I'd like if it uses carded unlocks (a la ME3) rather than RNG-based loot (DAI), and classes would slot into the former a lot better.

Here's hoping they show some multiplayer before launch. (I'd like to say it's a given, but the marketing has been bizarre.)
Hope so too! I am confident one of these weekly gameplay videos will focus on multiplayer. Next week is exploration, so maybe the week after that.
Yeah but at least I have this cool Ambassador Certificate I can launch and look at.

:\

BearPawB

Banned
Tap Titans 2 is fun.
But it moves...really slow.
And there are a lot of bad upgrades.

I like clickers where I really feel every prestige

Tap Titans 2 is fun.
But it moves...really slow.
And there are a lot of bad upgrades.

I like clickers where I really feel every prestige

it gets a lot less painful after the first few prestiges. but yeah, 2 out of 3 skill trees are total trash. I'm currently fighting my wall at about level 1200-1300. kind of just farming artifacts at this point, but it's funny to just blow through the first 500 stages in like 15 minutes

Meneses

Good chance Yakuza 0 becomes Jeff's favorite game of the year if he plays long enough to reach the Real Estate mini-game, it's really addictive and basically just a clicker in spirit.

Wait a minute, does this mean I... like... clicker games?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Good chance Yakuza 0 becomes Jeff's favorite game of the year if he plays long enough to reach the Real Estate mini-game, it's really addictive and basically just a clicker in spirit.

Wait a minute, does this mean I... like... clicker games?

Do you actually like it or do you like it because it's by far the easiest way to get money to unlock more moves

BearPawB

Banned
it gets a lot less painful after the first few prestiges. but yeah, 2 out of 3 skill trees are total trash. I'm currently fighting my wall at about level 1200-1300. kind of just farming artifacts at this point, but it's funny to just blow through the first 500 stages in like 15 minutes

I got to stage 350 and my interest has waned.
I also haven't gotten any top tier artifacts.(although that valentines event gave me a good boost with equipment)

I love how many the systems the game has. But i just feel like I keep running into wall after wall

Meneses

Do you actually like it or do you like it because it's by far the easiest way to get money to unlock more moves

I'm not sure. Haven't spent anything in moves yet because I still need to invest so the numbers get BIGGER.

edit: I want to advance the storyline but i've only been playing a couple hours per day, all doing Real Estate, since last weekend. Help.

Gurrry

Perfect time to get a switch!

Hahaha I would but I really only want to play Zelda. Not really interested in paying 360+ for 1 game right now.

I ended calling Nintendo, they discounted the repair down to 80 including shipping. Im gonna send it in to them I guess. It hurts spending this much but I like my WiiU and want one to play.

Plus now I can finally play MH3U again.

Top Bottom