• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Extra Life 2016 - Streaming Games For The Kids!!

Dizzy-4U

It helps to have played drums for 10+ years

I wish I had his coordination ): Haven't played RB (and the RB drums even less)

damn bass leg is too shaky
I played the piano for 10 years and I'm terrible at Beatmania :(

Drums seem to translate better to games though, so it's understandable.

I played the piano for 10 years and I'm terrible at Beatmania :(

Drums seem to translate better to games though, so it's understandable.

Rock Band 3 does a better job at translating the keyboard. I've played piano/synth for 20 years and I had no trouble playing songs on expert with that thing. There were some limitations because the Rock Band keyboard only had 2 octaves, but overall it was pretty good.

Dizzy-4U

Rock Band 3 does a better job at translating the keyboard. I've played piano/synth for 20 years and I had no trouble playing songs on expert with that thing. There were some limitations because the Rock Band keyboard only had 2 octaves, but overall it was pretty good.
I didn't know Rock Band has keyboard support, that's awesome. I'm really interested in getting it now.

I didn't know Rock Band has keyboard support, that's awesome. I'm really interested in getting it now.

Unfortantely, the support for the keyboard started and stopped with Rock Band 3. I'm pretty sure none of the current stuff supports it, which is kind of a shame.

If I remember correctly, you could also use the keyboard as a MIDI controller which is pretty neat.

rockband3prokeys.jpg
This is how the highway looked when you played in Pro mode.

Hasney

Only 3 does, they took it back out on the generational change. Still, even with the limited songs, it was pretty cool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RS19N4/

If I remember correctly, you could also use the keyboard as a MIDI controller which is pretty neat.

Yup, you could even hook up your own keyboard via MIDI and use that.

Daheza

i hope the rest of the streams can keep up with the energy alex is showing in this stream. He is really killing it.

Dizzy-4U

Unfortantely, the support for the keyboard started and stopped with Rock Band 3. I'm pretty sure none of the current stuff supports it, which is kind of a shame.

Only 3 does, they took it back out on the generational change. Still, even with the limited songs, it was pretty cool

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003RS19N4/

Yup, you could even hook up your own keyboard via MIDI and use that.
I see. I'm still playing last gen consoles so it's not that big of a deal. Shame they stopped supporting it though.

Lego Rock Band is a secretly good rock band game. It had fun story mode events like destroying Lego buildings and some awesome songs that the whole family would love.

"Crocodile Rock" Elton John
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" The Police
"The Final Countdown" Europe
"Free Fallin'" Tom Petty
"Ghostbusters" Ray Parker Jr.
"I Want You Back" Jackson 5
"Kung Fu Fighting" Carl Douglas
"Let's Dance" David Bowie
"Song 2" Blur
"Summer of '69" Bryan Adams
"We Are the Champions" Queen
"We Will Rock You" Queen
"You Give Love a Bad Name" Bon Jovi

It also had a Lost Prophets song which creeps me out even more because it's in a kids centered game.

Really sad to discover I was too late to import my old-ass copy of Lego Rock Band into RB4. The PS3 version ran okay, but the more elaborate Lego destruction events if you five-starred a song (I think?) would really tax the framerate. Though I guess those wouldn't have carried over to RB4 anyways.

The keyboard turns out to actually be quite good as a cheap MIDI keyboard. I thought about just using that with my laptop instead of buying a MIDI keyboard when I decided to learn Ableton Live (something that is, uh, still ongoing, sort of!).

No_Style

Can anyone help shed light on how the donations or distributed? Do all donations via GB page go to just Oakland hospital? I was under the impression that Extra Life disperses across the hospital network.

I own an actual drum kit and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with it. I'm the only friend out of my group who can play drums in RB but doing it outside of the game without direction, i get mad.

I learned bass because I could look up tabs and play them and the instrument sounds like music on its own. Drums are a different beast

Seeing Alex play so well makes me want to do better though

Gjerven

Can anyone help shed light on how the donations or distributed? Do all donations via GB page go to just Oakland hospital? I was under the impression that Extra Life disperses across the hospital network.

Via GB goes to the Oakland childrens hospital. Seems some GB team participants donates to wider organizations.

I own an actual drum kit and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with it. I'm the only friend out of my group who can play drums in RB but doing it outside of the game without direction, i get mad.

I learned bass because I could look up tabs and play them and the instrument sounds like music on its own. Drums are a different beast

Seeing Alex play so well makes me want to do better though

The thing I really need to figure out with my e-kit is how to position everything properly. I feel like I'm still constantly hitting my sticks together and very occasionally hitting my own fingers, which HURTS LIKE A MOTHER when it happens. I actually might send an email to the Beastcast asking Alex about that, since he seems to have experience with normal as well as e-kits.

re: Annie Clark on Twitter: well, sure, it's easy to follow her because she posts like once every year.

The thing I really need to figure out with my e-kit is how to position everything properly. I feel like I'm still constantly hitting my sticks together and very occasionally hitting my own fingers, which HURTS LIKE A MOTHER when it happens. I actually might send an email to the Beastcast asking Alex about that, since he seems to have experience with normal as well as e-kits.

Positioning could be a factor but good stick control is something you have to work at unless fortunate enough to be born with the ability to think of your hands being a foot longer than normal. Slowing down and confirming all your strikes are solid and slowly speeding up can help. Failing that there are loads of exercises and techniques you can try.

Positioning could be a factor but good stick control is something you have to work at unless fortunate enough to be born with the ability to think of your hands being a foot longer than normal. Slowing down and confirming all your strikes are solid and slowly speeding up can help. Failing that there are loads of exercises and techniques you can try.

Yeah, I may have just learned bad habits from playing on the Rock Band kit, you don't really have to worry about stick control because you can play open instead of cross-armed and even the cymbals don't really get in the way much.

This is a real cool segment. I'm glad Alex chose this, it's different from the usual Extra Life marathon.

Top Bottom