• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Aselith

Yeah, I don't know why Kingdom Heartache exists. Ben wanted to end the video as soon as he possibly could. I enjoyed the Rorie chat, though.

I feel bad for him since it's his first feature and I'm sure he wanted to knock it out of the park but that game is straight trash and that can't be helped.

He should just sub in Mario RPG and never mention it. Just play through that and keep calling the series Kingdom Heartache and refer to it as Kingdom Hearts

kiguel182

Is it even true for video? It makes absolute sense for photoshopping large pictures with lots of layers, but video?

Not sure about this but I think video software uses ram for the effects and stuff before you render them.

You can have the effects previewed and that will be in ram. I think.

Edit: I think Avid does this but don't quote me on it. It has been a long time since my video editing days.

danm999

Just finished the Midweek Multiplayer madness video.

I would watch Jeff commentating on PUGB community games for a very long time.

Not sure about this but I think video software uses ram for the effects and stuff before you render them.

You can have the effects previewed and that will be in ram. I think.

Edit: I think Avid does this but don't quote me on it. It has been a long time since my video editing days.
I think premiere pro renders a preview in parts when requested and dumps it as temporary fast encoded video as a temporary file to disk to access it if the exact same preview is requested again, but I never did any video editing even semi-professionally, so not sure about this. To me it would only be logical to need more ram many many frames ahead need to accessed for rendering.

But maybe Apple ram is not even really more expensive than normal one. Jeff has 32GB ram since 2011 or so just for funzies, bet nobody questioned that purchase anywhere.

Goddamn, today was garbage.

Could use a good laugh.

I'll have hot takes on Agents of Mayhem if anyone is interested.

A: IGN said Dishonored 2 was the best PS4 game of 2016.

B: I am very interested in those takes, plus for any potential buyers, Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card with its purchase this week.

I think premiere pro renders a preview in parts when requested and dumps it as temporary fast encoded video as a temporary file to disk to access it if the exact same preview is requested again, but I never did any video editing even semi-professionally, so not sure about this. To me it would only be logical to need more ram many many frames ahead need to accessed for rendering.

But maybe Apple ram is not even really more expensive than normal one. Jeff has 32GB ram since 2011 or so just for funzies, bet nobody questioned that purchase anywhere.

iMacs just use regular ol ddr3 so-Dimms so it's the same cost. Only one that's a little more expensive was the previous 5k iMac since it uses a ddr3 speed that's not manufactured that much since stuff transitioned to ddr4 earlier and is a fairly unadopted speed.

So I'm like an hour and a half into Nier Automata. At this point, am I supposed to be understanding what's going on? Because right now everything's completely incomprehensible.

Watching the latest KH video

y'know

I just don't get the bit that Ben is trying to do. Like....is the bit that nobody cares about watching or reacting to the game? Like...why even do a video then? I feel having the wingman be completely off topic is...very distracting and not entertaining?

i've tried to give the series a chance but at this point it's like, atleast with Blue Bombin' they pay attention. Atleast Alex is paying attention whilst playing. Here it's like...a worse version of that?

Tagyhag

y'know

I just don't get the bit that Ben is trying to do. Like....is the bit that nobody cares about watching or reacting to the game? Like...why even do a video then? I feel having the wingman be completely off topic is...very distracting and not entertaining?

i've tried to give the series a chance but at this point it's like, atleast with Blue Bombin' they pay attention. Atleast Alex is paying attention whilst playing. Here it's like...a worse version of that?

I think he just wanted to play KH to get ready for 3 but didn't want to do it on his own time. :p

y'know

I think Ben was trying to pay attention at points, but Rorie was Rorie and I don't think Ben is going to snap at him. TBH I think this feature needs to be a Ben/Brad thing for it to work. Jeff bombed and Rorie was entertaining but in a way that completely trivialized the game.

I think he just wanted to play KH to get ready for 3 but didn't want to do it on his own time. :p

show some enthusiasm for it atleast

or do what dan and drew did and watch the cutscenes for the feature. Even Drew showed more enthusiasm at getting through MGS, and he doesn't play games!

I think Ben was trying to pay attention at points, but Rorie was Rorie and I don't think Ben is going to snap at him. TBH I think this feature needs to be a Ben/Brad thing for it to work.

Yeah...but even then there's that apathy? The 1st episode definitely wasn't devoid of apathy.

Yeah...but even then there's that apathy? The 1st episode definitely wasn't devoid of apathy.

A lot of that was the bit (which hopefully they don't intend to continue) and the boring start. Brad is probably the only person there who will care about or recognize the Final Fantasy and Disney stuff.

A lot of that was the bit (which hopefully they don't intend to continue) and the boring start. Brad is probably the only person there who will care about or recognize the Final Fantasy and Disney stuff.

Yeah. I could care less for the apathy. It's not an interesting bit, it's not funny, it's not even entertaining. They could atleast riff on it like a Mystery Science Theatre bit, but it's not even that.

Yeah. I could care less for the apathy. It's not an interesting bit, it's not funny, it's not even entertaining. They could atleast riff on it like a Mystery Science Theatre bit, but it's not even that.

The bit makes no sense without a straight man who is all into the game, you'd need a Vinny or Dan type to make it work. I don't think Ben is as apathetic as some here do, but this joke doesn't really work with him.

The bit makes no sense without a straight man who is all into the game, you'd need a Vinny or Dan type to make it work.

Yeah. Blue Bombin works because Alex is the straight man into Mega Man, and he reigns in the others at certain points(Like making them guess which weapon beats who). Here it's just...ehhh?

Harpuia

I mean an hour and a half you're still in what, the desert? It's not that far into the game at all for a game that likes to hide its cards.

I've been slowly chipping away at this game whenever I have free time and the two times + sidequests that the game had me go through the desert nearly destroyed me with boredom. I love the games story bits but man I do not care for the stretches of running across vast expanses with nothing in them until they give you fast travel. I wouldn't blame someone for getting a little peeved at that point in the game.

Game starts moving at the end of the desert part though.

At least the city ruins have that lovely theme.

Yeah. Blue Bombin works because Alex is the straight man into Mega Man, and he reigns in the others at certain points(Like making them guess which weapon beats who). Here it's just...ehhh?

Or imagine a Mario Party Party without Dan and just having a four people playing up their boredom with no contrast.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've been slowly chipping away at this game whenever I have free time and the two times + sidequests that the game had me go through the desert nearly destroyed me with boredom. I love the games story bits but man I do not care for the stretches of running across vast expanses with nothing in them until they give you fast travel. I wouldn't blame someone for getting a little peeved at that point in the game.

Oh trust me, i didn't go back to the desert that often other than the places i can easily get to through fast travel.

That one fucking sidequest...

I made the mistake of spending tons of time on side quests right up front before realizing that more extensive fast travel would be unlocked further into route A. I felt so very stupid :lol

Antiwhippy

Also it's cool to see the statement from kamiya on how developing for nier helped saved platinum.

Even though the platinum part could use some more polishing...

I mean an hour and a half you're still in what, the desert? It's not that far into the game at all for a game that likes to hide its cards.
Yes, desert. Like, the main thing I'm having trouble understanding is characters' reactions to things. It's a little off putting in the sense that I feel they're really telegraphing a big twist for the characters that won't actually be a big twist for me the player, as someone who has consumed a lot of media about AI and what it means to be conscious. If any of that makes sense.

Harpuia

I made the mistake of spending tons of time on side quests right up front before realizing that more extensive fast travel would be unlocked further into route A. I felt so very stupid :lol

Yeah I'm trying to clean up the sidequests I have some interest in on the 2nd run. But I think I might just focus on powering through the main story cause I'm not feeling like I'm getting a huge benefit for doing the sidequests. Also the ones I have left are the kinda bad ones. Like the stupid race one with the blue robot. Or the parade, which I found undoable without the cool second ability you get to use the 2nd time around. Otherwise I'm doing what seem to be route B specific quests.

Antiwhippy

Yes, desert. Like, the main thing I'm having trouble understanding is characters' reactions to things. It's a little off putting in the sense that I feel they're really telegraphing a big twist for the characters that won't actually be a big twist for me the player, as someone who has consumed a lot of media about AI and what it means to be conscious. If any of that makes sense.

I don't think you're understanding what you think you understand. :p

Without getting into specifics, the game does play with expectations a fair bit and it's intentional.

Harpuia

Without getting into specifics, the game does play with expectations a fair bit and it's intentional.

I should just mainline the story before it's too late and get this game ruined for me. Even after taking a rather substantial hiatus from this game, I've still avoided spoiling the end. Are there any quests worth checking out on the 2nd route? I basically skipped all of the quests from the forest castle area the first route and accidentally fell into a point of no return before getting to check them out.

Antiwhippy

I should just mainline the story before it's too late and get this game ruined for me. Even after taking a rather substantial hiatus from this game, I've still avoided spoiling the end. Are there any quests worth checking out on the 2nd route? I basically skipped all of the quests from the forest castle area the first route and accidentally fell into a point of no return before getting to check them out.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=235924498&postcount=18814

Some of them you can miss honestly, like, fuck heritage to the past, but it's mostly solid.

For B playthrough I'd say amnesia is required.

hamchan

Y'know, I was thinking it's kinda rough on Ben to have to head this series as a newbie, without a wingman that he can build an on camera rapport with since they swap that position around every week. Also having this bit about not caring is not really working and there's a whole lot of KH1 to come.

I compare that to Abby and how she fit in with GBEast and those guys sure do everything as a group or with Exquisite Corps Vinny is the constant instead of the newbie.

Y'know, I was thinking it's kinda rough on Ben to have to head this series as a newbie, without a wingman that he can build an on camera rapport with since they swap that position around every week. Also having this bit about not caring is not really working and there's a whole lot of KH1 to come.

I compare that to Abby and how she fit in with GBEast and those guys sure do everything as a group or with Exquisite Corps Vinny is the constant instead of the newbie.

I kind of agree, especially the bit that feels more like something they usually do with Dan. I dunno why they couldn't just commit to Ben/Brad for an hour a week.

BTA

I kind of agree, especially the bit that feels more like something they usually do with Dan. I dunno why they couldn't just commit to Ben/Brad for an hour a week.

I'm guessing the assumption was "Kingdom Hearts' story is convoluted and wild so switching people out and having to explain to them what's happened will be hilarious".

But that's... not actually all that accurate to its plot hour-by-hour. Though I imagine people jumping in halfway through a world could be good.

I've still only watched some of episode 1 so I have no feelings on it beyond wanting to catch up.

Zaph

Yeah, I don't envy Ben at all. He's been hired as a Junior Editor but thrown in at the deep end without much of a (on-camera) support system at West. But at the same time, if KH was his idea, he's really not doing himself any favours by starting a feature that up's West's apathy content even further.

Rories line at the end

Ben:"I tried to get Jeff in but he pulled Brad into a meeting about Quarterly's...."
Rorie:"Quarterly lay offs?"

It was great

Yeah that's true. I have my criticisms of how Ben plays this gimmick/the game, with paying absolutely no attention, but it also feels like he's getting zero support or input from his bosses. He's twisting in the wind. I have no idea what's going on over there. It's a real bummer, that's for sure!

How long till this East v West fight spills out into an awkward PAX question about West's output?

Pretty much the only people framing it as a fight are these kinds of comments but I'd absolutely expect awkward PAX questions. They're a given.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

i might be forgetting something obvious, but I get the impression Jeff and especially Brad don't really want to be part of any long running video playthrough series.

Top Bottom