• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

i might be forgetting something obvious, but I get the impression Jeff and especially Brad don't really want to be part of any long running video playthrough series.

Well they haven't been part of a longer video series since like the Deadly Premonition endurance runs. It's one of the mysteries of the West. Dan/Drew did all of their long-running series and now Ben seems to be carrying that torch.

Giganteus

Yeah that's true. I have my criticisms of how Ben plays this gimmick/the game, with paying absolutely no attention, but it also feels like he's getting zero support or input from his bosses. He's twisting in the wind. I have no idea what's going on over there. It's a real bummer, that's for sure!
Kingdom Heartache isn't the greatest idea for a feature, but I can't help but get that impression.
I dont want this taken the wrong way. My secret prediction before Ben was hired was that the new hire wasn't going to actually reinvigorate GB West like some people hoped for, because it doesn't matter who they hire in that regard. Jeff and Brad are fantastic, but they seemed to have established a certain atmosphere (probably because of CBSi and the workload) that stifles a certain amount of Danism. Sure, let's call it Danism.
They'll let you do whatever, but they probably won't go with it and will leave you hanging on a ledge by yourself. In terms of new ideas,
I wish Ben luck; he might need it depending on what ideas he's got next.

That's my hot take of the year.

x1lJ9gR.png

I think Ben is in a really bad spot because, like a lot of you have said, zany premium video series have really never been Brad or Jeff's thing.

Whether it's because they've been doing this longer, they don't have the Video Producer creative streak Vinny does, or they are just weighed down by having more business-y stuff to do (hosting/producing the Bombcast for Brad and being EIC for Jeff), they've just never really been big into videos that aren't relatively straight-forward game play throughs.

Which I think is mostly fine (things like the P4 endurance run and Breaking Brad were frequently great, they just don't always hit), but it doesn't seem like what a lot of you want.

I think it's not super fair to blame Ben for a lot of this. When Dan came in, he had Drew to play off of with a lot of his ideas, and I suspect this thread would be a lot more positive if he had someone to do these ideas with.

Ben's also much much much newer to video game hosting than Dan was, so that comparison is doubly not fair to him. I think, all things considered, he's done a really incredible job since getting hired.

Anyways, I think Ben is great, I don't think Brad or Jeff are really suited for the kind of content a lot of people want from West, and I think a new hire (or, ideally, one producer and another editor) would really do wonders.

Aselith

I think Ben is in a really bad spot because, like a lot of you have said, zany premium video series have really never been Brad or Jeff's thing.

Whether it's because they've been doing this longer, they don't have the Video Producer creative streak Vinny does, or they are just weighed down by having more business-y stuff to do (hosting/producing the Bombcast for Brad and being EIC for Jeff), they've just never really been big into videos that aren't relatively straight-forward game play throughs.

Which I think is mostly fine (things like the P4 endurance run and Breaking Brad were frequently great, they just don't always hit), but it doesn't seem like what a lot of you want.

I think it's not super fair to blame Ben for a lot of this. When Dan came in, he had Drew to play off of with a lot of his ideas, and I suspect this thread would be a lot more positive if he had someone to do these ideas with.

Ben's also much much much newer to video game hosting than Dan was, so that comparison is doubly not fair to him. I think, all things considered, he's done a really incredible job since getting hired.

Anyways, I think Ben is great, I don't think Brad or Jeff are really suited for the kind of content a lot of people want from West, and I think a new hire (or, ideally, one producer and another editor) would really do wonders.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with Ben. I just really think this game doesn't have a lot to offer as far as what people want from premium content. Like, it's not fun to watch, not fun to make fun of because it's not shitty enough to be funny, the writings not good or wacky, combat is repetitive and button mashy.

It's kinda just another action RPG. Might as well stream some Level 5 bullshit or Dynasty Warriors game.

The right person can certainly make most anything entertaining but Ben gave himself a goddamn Mount Everest to climb here

imBask

Banned
I don't think it has anything at all to do with Ben. I just really think this game doesn't have a lot to offer as far as what people want from premium content. Like, it's not fun to watch, not fun to make fun of because it's not shitty enough to be funny, the writings not good or wacky, combat is repetitive and button mashy.

It's kinda just another action RPG. Might as well stream some Level 5 bullshit or Dynasty Warriors game.

but this series is also a mess and I think there are a bunch of people like me who want to be interested in KH 3 but don't know where to start

I actually enjoy that feature, maybe it's just not for you, it's ok not to like some things

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So how do people deal with being the worst person on their PUBG squad?

Because I haven't played in ages and when I squadded up again I felt really bad about pulling them down.

BTA

Actually that's kind of the thing I was wondering about. Is all of kingdom hearts combat just like this? For the praise it gets I was expecting something more.

I do that already, bravery or no bravery. :p

I literally don't remember what each game was like at this point but I've heard that 2's is better.

I remember loving BBS's combat when I played it and that was relatively recently (enough that I was older and had played more games, I mean) so I trust my past self on that.

Actually that's kind of the thing I was wondering about. Is all of kingdom hearts combat just like this? For the praise it gets I was expecting something more.

Iirc once you get magic (which includes summons) in your arsenal also with special combo attacks you can equip that's basically it.

The real crazy combo attacks and don't appear until KH2 and onwards

Scizzy

How long till this East v West fight spills out into an awkward PAX question about West's output?

The only awkward part would be that West produces, like, 10-15% more content than East, believe it or not.

Edit to add: unless it's about quality. That would be awkward, especially because no one at GB seems to watch any of their own content so they'd have no way to answer.

Antiwhippy

TBF he said he had to have a mechanical heart pumper thingy installed and seem pretty diet conscious.

Don't think burgers are on the menu for him.

It becomes more involved as you gain more abilities, but at least in KH1 it is just a whole bunch of hit x and occasionally heal. Some of the secret/extra bosses require some smarter usage of abilities and spells, but they're the exception for the most part.

Chain of Memories is this strange card game action hybrid where there comes a point you can rig your deck to essentially auto win.

KH2 is basically the same as KH1, but you have more varied ways to mash X. The same applies here with the secret bosses although grinding is more effective in KH2, so overpower most opponents in the end no matter what. Its my understanding that the added Final Mix bosses are more in line with KH1 bosses where they require more finesse.

Its my understanding that there were some smart changes done in Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance that make combat more varied, but I haven't played those so I can't say one way or the other.

Scizzy

I think one of the rules of GB is that Brad is always better suited driving and Dan is always better as a commenter. One of the reasons Vinny is so great is that he shines in both roles.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Ben is doing the best with what he's got in my opinion

I think one of the rules of GB is that Brad is always better suited driving and Dan is always better as a commenter. One of the reasons Vinny is so great is that he shines in both roles.

vinny really is the combination of every single positive aspect each other giant bomb member has, plus so much more

Antiwhippy

It becomes more involved as you gain more abilities, but at least in KH1 it is just a whole bunch of hit x and occasionally heal. Some of the secret/extra bosses require some smarter usage of abilities and spells, but they're the exception for the most part.

Chain of Memories is this strange card game action hybrid where there comes a point you can rig your deck to essentially auto win.

KH2 is basically the same as KH1, but you have more varied ways to mash X. The same applies here with the secret bosses although grinding is more effective in KH2, so overpower most opponents in the end no matter what. Its my understanding that the added Final Mix bosses are more in line with KH1 bosses where they require more finesse.

Its my understanding that there were some smart changes done in Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance that make combat more varied, but I haven't played those so I can't say one way or the other.

Hmm alright. It doesn't really sound impressive to me but hey, people love it.

It looks smoother than any Tales of game at least.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
vinny really is the combination of every single positive aspect each other giant bomb member has, plus so much more
I'm probably an ass for saying this, but I really wish some of that enthusiasm (and really that's most of what it is!) would rub off on Brad or Jeff, or even occasionally Alex (though he's got a lot better over time and it's great to see because he's a funny guy with an interesting take a lot of the time).

Like, the glib sarcastic dismissal is funny sometimes but it's feels like it's their only tool a lot of the time. I've seen them do better. I dunno, it's probably a taxing job and being on all the time is hard -- I wouldn't know, I'm not an entertainer. And it's not like they were hired to be entertainers in the Gamespot days. Sooo... shrug.

Nah this is nothing. You can get away with mashing on normal. Also you get a lot of abilities and other stuff as you level up and progress. Proud difficulty makes the combat much better, actually need to engage with all the mechanics. That being said KH1 combat doesn't compare to what you can do in KH2

I finished Hellblade and I don't think it was an especially good game. I endured the poor pacing, dull puzzles, bad encounter design, slow movement, and poor combat controls and while I enjoyed the atmosphere through it, the ending left me feeling pretty unrewarded. It could have been trimmed down a fair bit and I don't think it executed on the premise of its themes well enough to excuse all the other problems it has. It's a tough game to recommend tbh.

Joeku

I finished Hellblade and I don't think it was an especially good game. I endured the poor pacing, dull puzzles, bad encounter design, slow movement, and poor combat controls and while I enjoyed the atmosphere through it, the ending left me feeling pretty unrewarded. It could have been trimmed down a fair bit and I don't think it executed on the premise of its themes well enough to excuse all the other problems it has. It's a tough game to recommend tbh.

I disagree!

It could have been much cleaner in spots but the whole "point' of it really landed for me.

And that said, love or hate it, it's certainly something I'd recommend people trying. It's an interesting thing regardless.

Edit: Also the controls and "game feel" are like, really good; what was your issue there?

Was Ben trying to go for the fistbump with Rorie when he triggered the boss cutscene? Feels like Rorie missed the signal.

Edit: He totally is at 22 mins. Damn...this is awkward.

Edit2: Maybe he was just making a fist lol.

I disagree!

It could have been much cleaner in spots but the whole "point' of it really landed for me.

And that said, love or hate it, it's certainly something I'd recommend people trying. It's an interesting thing regardless.
It has some really powerful moments, but the ending didn't work for me and the actual gameplay of the game was mostly a chore.
Edit: Also the controls and "game feel" are like, really good; what was your issue there?
I posted about it earlier, but the camera in combat is atrocious and problematic in combat encounters where there isn't a ton of space. The movement speed also has the typical walking sim problem of feeling artificially slow to pad out the game. Senua even looks like a dope when running, no one runs like that at such a slow speed!

Antiwhippy

I'm still game to give hellblade a try sometimes soon despite me feeling the same way about the controls and puzzle design (mostly just from seeing the quick look, mind you)

It's not that long of a game right?

Joeku

It has some really powerful moments, but the ending didn't work for me and the actual gameplay of the game was mostly a chore.

I posted about it earlier, but the camera in combat is atrocious and problematic in combat encounters where there isn't a ton of space.

Was it the enemies spawning behind you?

Because I know this is bullshit that gets trotted out for stuff like Spec Ops and other games in that "intentionally not necessarily good design" and whatnot, but..."it's supposed to be annoying".

I managed to get used to the timing of the voice lines to know when to block the enemies behind; it was super empowering to hear "Behind you!" and hit RB and successfully parry an attack I couldn't see. The latter half of the game, and especially the end, became almost a cakewalk for me because of that.

Was it the enemies spawning behind you?

Because I know this is bullshit that gets trotted out for stuff like Spec Ops and other games in that "intentionally not necessarily good design" and whatnot, but..."it's supposed to be annoying".

I managed to get used to the timing of the voice lines to know when to block the enemies behind; it was super empowering to hear "Behind you!" and hit RB and successfully parry an attack I couldn't see. The latter half of the game, and especially the end, became almost a cakewalk for me because of that.

It was more that I got stuck against geometry several times where I couldn't even use evade (and couldn't see what was going on due to no camera control) and it was frustrating not being able to select which enemies you locked onto.

Joeku

It was more that I got stuck against geometry several times where I couldn't even use evade and it was frustrating not being able to select which enemies you locked onto.

That sucks that unintentional problems got in your way. Seriously, that sucks. Fuck bad geometry. But to the other thing, the right stick didn't flip you between enemies easily enough?

Top Bottom