• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

Horizon is pretty dull to me, there's no sense of location. There's meaningless terrain, Far Cry side-quests and a decent story, but the location means nothing because it's all pretty much jungle. Compare it to something like Deus Ex where every location has meaning and you can approach tasks in the way that you see fit. Or compare it to something like Bloodline which actually does an amazing job at creating a meaningful world withing really limited maps. Are there any games out there that focus on making a handcrafted believable environment over boring scope?

3192790-sxoepoc.jpg

?

Lunar FC

Horizon is pretty dull to me, there's no sense of location. There's meaningless terrain, Far Cry side-quests and a decent story, but the location means nothing because it's all pretty much jungle. Compare it to something like Deus Ex where every location has meaning and you can approach tasks in the way that you see fit. Or compare it to something like Bloodline which actually does an amazing job at creating a meaningful world withing really limited maps. Are there any games out there that focus on making a handcrafted believable environment over boring scope?

giphy.gif

JustinT

Neo Member
I only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of BitE, I'm surprised to hear Dan didn't like it. They all seemed really into it when they started.

tesqui

sunshine does play fine y'all nuts

I agree for the most part. The controls are not bad at all once you get acquainted to them.

The one thing that is legitimately wonky is the camera. You can also get pretty used to that as well though

I only watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of BitE, I'm surprised to hear Dan didn't like it. They all seemed really into it when they started.

Dan refused to learn how the combat system worked and got increasingly frustrated because he just mashes buttons. It’s unfortunate because he did seem to like everything else about the game.

I can see where you're coming from for sure, I feel sorta the same way, the environments are nice but just lack anything really interesting to do in them, a lot of open world games feel that way so I can't really fault them too much because everything else in the game is fantastic. For a game with such interesting character and enemy design to not have the creativity given to the environments in a lot of cases is disappointing.

Just played That's You with 3 other friends. They loved the game, although it took around 20 minutes to get everyone on Wi-Fi and able to DL the app. Everything after that was fun, which is pretty good for a free PSN game.

sunshine does play fine y'all nuts

It plays fine

It's the level design and mission objectives that suck.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back about the game playing fine. Switching back and forth between the hover and squirt nozzles is a pain in the ass. The squirt and hover mechanics should have been on two separate buttons.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back about the game playing fine. Switching back and forth between the hover and squirt nozzles is a pain in the ass. The squirt and hover mechanics should have been on two separate buttons.

don't forget how the hover is like the least fun "second jump" in just about any game

that weird thing you could do with the ball in Mega Man 8 was more satisfying than the hover

- J - D -

Is the Yakuza playthrough worth watching? I never got time to watch it all.

The key to truly enjoying beast in the east is going in knowing that Dan's performance in the combat is an actual impediment to overall enjoyment. I learned to not care about how he does in the fights, and 17 episodes later (for me) I no longer get mad when he still fires off long combo strings into thin air for the upteenth time because of his button mashing and general inability to learn from his mistakes.

Acknowledge this now and you'll love BitE.

Man, Dan really doesn't wanna be there during this BITE bonus episode huh? Making this kind of hard to watch. If they do Kiwami I hope Alex plays and they sub out Dan for Abby.

Man, Dan really doesn't wanna be there during this BITE bonus episode huh? Making this kind of hard to watch. If they do Kiwami I hope Alex plays and they sub out Dan for Abby.

Oh come on, he's not going to suck the fun out of things by just being there. Having Alex on the sticks would be enough since Dan enjoys everything but actually playing the game.

Oh come on, he's not going to suck the fun out of things by just being there. Having Alex on the sticks would be enough since Dan enjoys everything but actually playing the game.

You think Dan is going to pay MORE attention to the story if he's not playing and he doesn't give a crap? He's going to derail every single thing, that's what he does. I mean he played this and during the final cutscene he was going "Who's Sagawa?" lol

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You think Dan is going to pay MORE attention to the story if he's not playing and he doesn't give a crap? He's going to derail every single thing, that's what he does. I mean he played this and during the final cutscene he was going "Who's Sagawa?" lol

He also forgot how (Y0 spoilerz)
how awano died.
lol

I don't even know if he actually likes the story.

Santar

Why is this a bad thing? Who actually watches the giant bomb plays trough games series to get the full story of the games? I love it when they just talk about random stuff or get up to antics, do funny bits, play guitar etc. If I want to get the story of Yakuza 0 I'll play the game myself. I watch Giant Bomb for Giant Bomb.

Why is this a bad thing?

Because Dan asking "Who's X" 5 times per episode isn't funny or interesting? The story is half the reason they're playing this, it's nice if they at least try to follow it. Dan made no effort. There's plenty of comedy in the fights and their reactions to the side stories and whatnot. not paying attention to the story (and Dan didn't, at all) is not a selling point imo

He also forgot how (Y0 spoilerz)
how awano died.
lol

I don't even know if he actually likes the story.

He liked when over the top stuff happened in cut scenes and fights, that's about it.

- J - D -

Her tastes aligns pretty closely to Dan's actually. Seems like it might not be her thing?

I don't really agree with that. Sure, they have a few things between the two of them that they enjoy, but I never thought much of it, certainly not enough to make me think their tastes align closely.

Plus, she's made it clear that her taste in video game stories is...very particular and I don't think the heavy-melodrama and long cutscenes of Yakuza would really be her bag at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom