• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santar

Because Dan asking "Who's X" 5 times per episode isn't funny or interesting? The story is half the reason they're playing this, it's nice if they at least try to follow it. Dan made no effort. There's plenty of comedy in the fights and their reactions to the side stories and whatnot. not paying attention to the story (and Dan didn't, at all) is not a selling point imo

He liked when over the top stuff happened in cut scenes and fights, that's about it.

You have a point there. Their reactions to stuff that happens in the game is a big part of the appeal I agree. I actually dropped out of Beast in the East pretty early on as I want to finish the game myself first, so I haven't actually watched much of it.

convo

How long would it have taken them to unlock that? Would it have been like 10 more hours of just business stuff?

They probably wouldn't be done with the game if they did try to unlock it but kept it weekly, at least i was very enamoured with Majima's side mini game.

Oh and they're giving their opinion on Yakuza, i wonder-
"Dan says its a bad ga-"
LgjPwp.gif
Gonna need a time-stamp to avoid that nonsense from the podcast.
It takes time to power up the styles,but neglect is the biggest factor in making sure you're not having a good time. I know they have time constraints to consider but making money and upgrades become trivial with certain tricks so you can power up to a reasonable degree even with their time allocation.
Not aknowledging the skill tree at all is a common bad habit for bad players. Which is terrible, but good advice in an endurance run setting has a half-life of a minute and will be completly forgotten by the next episode. Look at what it took for them to adopt any good strategy in PUPG, a game they like a whole lot. One thing is for sure: the same person should not be allowed to play two Yakuza games in a row. It does take practice to really get into the combat but boy you can wreak shit once you do. Can't be helped with how they do these features,at least i hope Alex will put some private time into these games.

Also whenever Knife-Bat nonsense gets brought up again i will post this gif of Majima trivializing this debate
Dual-Wielding Bat-Knife combos not even Snake could have come up with

Jintor

one of the weird things about sunshine is that after splatoon all the gunk spread around i kinda want to see mario dive into the ink

he's really well animated weirdly

Agree with all of this. I don't know what "fun" thing there is to do with Dota without going into trolling territory, which ruins the game for real people, and they wouldn't do that

Like, I don't know if Giant Bomb was created with the premise of "every single video we make will appeal to every single one of our fans" but I really really really doubt it, some people will just have to get over the fact that under 2 hours of a 20+ hour content week (I counted) was based around a game they don't like

It's more that GBWest are crying out for a new, fresh feature and they are spending that content creation time playing a game that long-term members of the site have seen 60+ videos of already.

And it was done with zero effort, it was just two guys playing Dota like they were randoms on Twitch. Ben didn't explain anything. He didnt even introduce what they were doing.

If you want to defend it fine, but it was utter dogshit.

It's not about "play MY game" whining, the game they chose was secondary to why that thing sucked but inevitable because Brad never seems like he is having fun playing Dota anyway.

Also no-one is asking them to play games they aren't interested in.

If Dota is the only video game that can motivate Brad and Ben to make new features then Giant Bomb have a serious problem.

Surprised to hear Dan didn't like Yakuza as he seemed to be having a lot of fun with it during the series (to be fair I'm only up to Part 15 so perhaps he sours on it later on).

If he doesn't like it, perhaps for Kiwami he should bow out and Alex can play. Maybe Abby would like to join for the third seat. Having someone on mic that doesn't like the game won't make for a good viewing experience, much less if that person's playing as well.

For my money, this has been the best GB feature alongside Murder Island. Keen to see it continue with folks that are into it at the wheel!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Splatoon snd Overwatch have actually made me realise that i really like shooters, i just prefer them when they actually have a style. So glad to have stuff that emphasises on fun weapons/mechanics and movement like back in the UT days.

May our modern military nightmare be over.

Joeku

Splatoon snd Overwatch have actually made me realise that i really like shooters, i just prefer them when they actually have a style. So glad to have stuff that emphasises on fun weapons/mechanics and movement like back in the UT days.

May our modern military nightmare be over.

We're out of that nightmare. We're in a militaristic near-future nightmare right now.

Let's see if WW2 can make a comeback and drag us down again.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And then back to a modern military nightmare and back to a near future nightmare.

We're stuck in a cycle of life and death.

Joeku

And then back to a modern military nightmare and back to a near future nightmare.

We're stuck in a cycle of life and death.

By the time modern military comes back around, it'll be in VR/AR and that "modern" will be our "future". It's going to be strange in 20 years when military games chronicling the Gulf thru Iraq wars will feel like looking at Vietnam and Cold War proxy conflicts does now.

oti

Banned
The thing about Dota...there is almost no way to make it interesting for non-fans. It's a pointless endeavor. It's too complex and weird. Which, is I think your point. If you can't make a video for everyone why make it? (but does any video fit that category?)

I viewed this as almost a breaking brad style endurance test. Which is a twist on "just playing dota". Can Brad win games as some of the more difficult heroes? I'd love to see Brad's Invoker or IO games. That's going to be pretty damn entertaining to watch. Imagine Brad is on a 10 game IO losing streak and then starts to pull it off.

Bringing Jeff in would just make it miserable for everyone. Dota fans and Jeff included.
So the question is are there enough Dota fans to make it worth doing? I guess time will tell.

At least try. There are two ways to go after the first episode. Continue just like that, make Dota fans happy. Fine, I don't have to watch everything GB produces and I'm 100% ok with that. Or try to make it more welcoming by at least explaining some stuff and not just throw esoteric terms at each other that non-Dota players have never heard before.

I'll give the second episode a fair shot. If it's like the first, I'm out. It's not the end of the world but it's still fair to share this sentiment. And let's not forget there are hundreds of hours of Dota on the site already. I'm not sitting here asking them to make 10 new 4h long Mario Maker videos again.
Or am I.

Rainmaker

Banned
Horizon is pretty dull to me, there's no sense of location. There's meaningless terrain, Far Cry side-quests and a decent story, but the location means nothing because it's all pretty much jungle. Compare it to something like Deus Ex where every location has meaning and you can approach tasks in the way that you see fit. Or compare it to something like Bloodline which actually does an amazing job at creating a meaningful world withing really limited maps. Are there any games out there that focus on making a handcrafted believable environment over boring scope?

I feel like I need a step by step of how Yakuza combat works.

I don't know... I felt like Horizon had a very well-done world.

I feel the same about more uninspired dota content as I would if they tried to bring back NintendoDownload podcast segments, play MGSV5 again, or have more features about Demon's Souls (with Jeff not playing). Things have their time and place and revisiting topics that have been worn absolutely thin and rendered completely stale shouldn't be done without some creative idea behind it.

Hasney

We're out of that nightmare. We're in a militaristic near-future nightmare right now.

Let's see if WW2 can make a comeback and drag us down again.

Infinite War and Titanfall 2 had enough creativity to make the future fine, but fuck modern war and the past and their boring weapons.

Jeff pulling a Lord of the Pit Magic: The Gathering reference out of nowhere during Rorie's segment in this UPF.

Did Jeff last hold a Magic: The Gathering card no more than 48 hours ago?

kiguel182

Guys, Splatoon 2 is really fun. Really fun.

Edit: Also I haven't watched the Dota segment but if they put no effort into it then it sucks. I like dota but I don't want to just watch Ben and Brad talk Dota.

Real Hero

On the beastcast when they were reading out what other games came out the same year, literally every game was better than shadow of mordor

Snagret

Surprised to hear Dan didn't like Yakuza as he seemed to be having a lot of fun with it during the series (to be fair I'm only up to Part 15 so perhaps he sours on it later on).

If he doesn't like it, perhaps for Kiwami he should bow out and Alex can play. Maybe Abby would like to join for the third seat. Having someone on mic that doesn't like the game won't make for a good viewing experience, much less if that person's playing as well.

For my money, this has been the best GB feature alongside Murder Island. Keen to see it continue with folks that are into it at the wheel!
Alex already dictated the direction of the playthrough a lot of the time anyways. I wasn't really sure why he wasn't just playing it.

I feel the same about more uninspired dota content as I would if they tried to bring back NintendoDownload podcast segments, play MGSV5 again, or have more features about Demon's Souls (with Jeff not playing). Things have their time and place and revisiting topics that have been worn absolutely thin and rendered completely stale shouldn't be done without some creative idea behind it.

That's why the East has been killing it, alot of their recent content revolves around a core idea of putting a game in front of someone that they normally wouldn't play. It seems like the west is sort of getting at that idea with the dota thing, but it's not fun when the only two people on the feature are already very familiar with the game that they don't really introduce anything.

I feel like the east side has been putting out enough good stuff that I don't feel like I'm wasting my subscription, so this isn't a larger complaint about the site's output. I just really like Jeff and Brad and I feel like I don't get to see them on really fun features anymore.

On the beastcast when they were reading out what other games came out the same year, literally every game was better than shadow of mordor

SoM's overwhelmingly positive reception felt like some bizarre, collective delusion to me. It's not a bad game at all but I mean.... come on.

J_Viper

In Dan's defense, there is an overload of voiceless text in Yakuza that makes it easy to zone out and lose focus on.

I'm only in Chapter 3, but I'm not 100% clear on the plot details because of how much text there is.

And about the combat, Yakuza 0 plays like a stiff ass PS2 game. Don't fault him for not being into that.

Rainmaker

Banned
Just finally got around to watching the newest Jar Time and now I wish Jeff would do one of those spontaneous old games streams today. Also, Jar Time continues to be one of my favorite features on the site. I could listen to Jeff talk forever

I loved everything I saw in my time with Yakuza but the combat wasn't fun to me and that's why I put it down. It was definitely one of those games I ended up enjoying way more just watching and not playing.

Some people on the site are actually commenting that they don't play DOTA but still enjoyed the video so idk, but I feel like the prevailing sentiment here is that it's just not interesting or fun to watch if you don't "get it". Of course there's gonna be a lot more kneejerk defense in comments on the actual site. I'm fine with the idea that there's content that isn't for me, but A) this seems super slapdash, production-wise and B) there isn't a lot else feature-wise coming out of West.

kiguel182

I think it’s fine that there’s content to different people, not everything will please everyone. But as someone that likes Dota I still wish they were a little more inventive with it.

Also, I liked yakuza combat but the random encounters in the street were a pain. I never got the thing to get rid of them with Majima so wandering around the city was a pain.

And I’m terrible with names so I can relate with forgetting names. It happened to me all the time since Yakuza has tons of characters.

Ashby

Missed that SNES Classic Walmart preorder last night because I was too busy playing Splatoon 2. I think I may be too deep in the Nintendo ecosystem.

oti

Banned
I only have one amiibo, Tom Nook, and I can't get anymore because he said I'd have to pay my debt first. Bitch ain't getting shit yo.

I got Pikachu because I thought hey it's Pikachu surely you can use the thunder rat with everything right? Wrong! It's useless.

Mupod

Dan having a hard time with Yakuza combat is particularly baffling because he figured out the secrets to it early on. He just stopped using Slugger style entirely even though it murders shit far faster and easier than Breaker or Thug. Square square triangle fight over. Bat-nunchuck combo for anything that knows how to block. It's not even hard, hell he was doing exactly that for a while and then just stopped.

Yakuza 0 is so fucking good that it didn't really put much of a damper on things though. I will say that I never thought of Alex as one of my favorites on the site but Beast in the East definitely changed that.

Hindl

Dan playing Yakuza is like him playing a fighting game, but it's not against Jason so he can't just mash his way to victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom