• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6BuEAH.gif

I wasn't listening to an old beastcast and Dan was talking about when he reviewed Vanquish(I think?) at Gameinformer. He said, "I gave it a low score, a 7 or 7.5"

This is the thing everyone jokes about with review scores, and he just admitted to having been part of the problem, and with complete seriousness lol.

It's episode 103 around the 57 mark

These are my two takes on why the 10-point scale is not used completely:

1) They heavily skewed towards games not being absolute broken trash when released. Going off of most sites' definitions of what each point on the scale means, as long as the game is functional in all aspects it would be hard to score lower than a 5.

2) They view it like a school grading scale: 90-100 (A), 80-89 (B), 70-79 (C), 60-69 (D), 0-59 (F).

---

Catching up on content, I have missed the last 4-5 Murder Island videos, are they all worth watching?

mintyice

2emXZ2Y.png

Alex: I've been playing the game at home for a long while now and you know what? I've found the combat to be serviceable, if not, good even. It's a hell of a game and it definitely deserves a spot in the top 5 of the year.

Dan:
lN6R1VB.jpg

wat. I don't know about you but it was the most fun I've had with a game that year. The soundtrack is amazing as well. Man, Bayonetta 2 is such a joy and I appreciate how more colorful it is compared to the first game. I enjoyed Wonderful 101 a fuck ton as well but that game came out a year before Bayonetta 2 and we're strictly talking about 2014.

Close, but Alex needs to say 'nightmare' more to be accurate.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Looking at the BitE video made me realise that the sushi place I went to on friday had sushi chefs with the exact same hairstyles as Awano.

It was pretty damn good sushi too.
At $90 per person it had better be.

Curufinwe

That's a lot of dollarydoos.

These are my two takes on why the 10-point scale is not used completely:

1) They heavily skewed towards games not being absolute broken trash when released. Going off of most sites' definitions of what each point on the scale means, as long as the game is functional in all aspects it would be hard to score lower than a 5.

2) They view it like a school grading scale: 90-100 (A), 80-89 (B), 70-79 (C), 60-69 (D), 0-59 (F).

---

Catching up on content, I have missed the last 4-5 Murder Island videos, are they all worth watching?

GI definitely use the American education system grading scale for games. Anything below 7 means they really didn't like it, so the mindset is totally different from a site like Edge or GB where 60% is not a bad score. And when you are owned by a company that sells games, there's no incentive to change that scoring system.

Mary Kish is up to RE6 now in her Resident Kinevil series. So far her and Mike from Gamespot are enjoying it more than 5.

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/resident-evil-6-episode-2-resident-kinevil/2300-6440014/

They have only committed to doing Leon and Chris, but they may do Jake's campaign as well if people demand it. Mary is dying to play RE7 and has been avoiding spoilers about it all year, so they are definitely skipping Ada's campaign.

Yeah, they'll enjoy it more than RE5 because Leon's campaign is like the best out of the bunch and not that long. Ada's campaign is interesting because hers involves puzzle solving(easy as fuck puzzles). Been watching THE FISH's series since day 1, it has been quite a ride.

Mary Kish is up to RE6 now in her Resident Kinevil series. So far her and Mike from Gamespot are enjoying it more than 5.

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/resident-evil-6-episode-2-resident-kinevil/2300-6440014/

They have only committed to doing Leon and Chris, but they may do Jake's campaign as well if people demand it. Mary is dying to play RE7 and has been avoiding spoilers about it all year, so they are definitely skipping Ada's campaign.

Wait, what does Ada's campaign have to do with RE7?

They're skipping it in 6 to get to 7 quicker.

I think they should do the Leon and Jake campaigns, the Chris campaign is pretty miserable for the most part.

Oh, I see. I misunderstood completely. Thought you meant it somehow tied into RE7...

And I dunno, the campaigns are all pretty miserable; but then again I hate bro-op games. I would probably despise RE6 entirely if it didn't end with the best campaign. (Ada's.) Although I do like how they tried to make co-op central to the campaign, with unique, concurrent objectives and stuff like that. Plus all the cross-over moments, which IIRC could have other co-op groups in it.

Like, RE6 has cool ideas but is the wrong series to put them in. It still baffles me how they went from RE4 to RE5 to RE6, taking the wrong lessons away each time.

daveo42

Banned
So I "finished" Nier: Automata.

Route C:
The Boxes and the Tower stuff were real good with some of the extra reveals on the nature of the YoRHa, the Machines and how fucked everything that has happened since the death of humans had been. The idea that the machines had basically weakened themselves to keep the fight going and that the YoRHa had let themselves be defeated by the machines after a certain point is kind of insane. Not sure if this is left over from either the need for the androids to have something to do, the machines trying to evolve, both, or something else.

Also, I thought the alien bit was going to be something created by the machines or YoRHa to keep up the facade of the endless fight between the two, but I guess that was a thing.

Ending D/E:
I liked A2's ending to sacrifice herself for A2 way better than 9S even if after all of that, I'm not sure 9S deserved it. Maybe he did after being killed constantly for thousands of years? I am right on that right? Humans died out over 7 thousand years ago and the game actually takes place near the year 12,000? I knew the game was repeating events over and over again, but that is also real messed up.

Actual ending:
I didn't give up.

I didn't sacrifice my save yet. I still want to go back and wrap up a few things but I still plan on killing my save for the good that come after. Seriously, those end credits were amazing and I felt guilty asking for help and then seeing user names disappear as I took hits in the second half.

I'll need to stew on my thoughts a bit more on the game overall and dig a bit more. Some characters could have used a bit more screen time, even though I thought they were all well done regardless of
their connections to the original Nier
and the story goes some interesting places while remaining mostly coherent. Now I'm kind of itching to play the original just to get more context on Automata.

LiK

Just started watching the Mario Sunshine feature proper and what is this gumball nonsense. Skipped through that boring stuff.

Just started watching the Mario Sunshine feature proper and what is this gumball nonsense. Skipped through that boring stuff.

Did you really skip it? You might just wanna duck out of watching this series then. It's literally all about betting and trying to collect as many gumballs as possible. The Mario Sunshine part is only the vehicle to the gambling. Poor Abby is already too far deep.

kiguel182

I hope Alex gets in the betting more. Sure he is winning but he could be winning more!

Abby will end up with nothing. Her addiction won't allow it.

I hope Alex gets in the betting more. Sure he is winning but he could be winning more!

Abby will end up with nothing. Her addiction won't allow it.

Alex is playing the smart game. Everyone else will bet themselves into oblivion and he'll be the only one with any shines at the end.

Volotaire

I am a bit surprised at the lack of knowledge on the Beastcast that contemporaries referred to WW1 as 'The Great War'. In the early 19th century, it was the first war of its kind known for its large scale of conflict.

Real Hero

I am a bit surprised at the lack of knowledge on the Beastcast that contemporaries referred to WW1 as 'The Great War'. In the early 19th century, it was the first war of its kind known for its large scale of conflict.

Expecting Giantbomb to know history is like expecting Giantbomb to play videogames well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom