• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming back to Horizon after a several month layoff and wow I suck at this game now. I had been playing it on hard, but I've had to turn it down after going soft playing easy games like BOTW.

xuchu

The International is the biggest scrub league.

giphy.gif

Zocano

Assassin's Creed 4 over Mario 3D World lol.
Always astonishing to me how easily they can be persuaded by an open world action game. Jeez.

I feel like their tastes have been fairly consistent enough and lean in that direction often enough that decisions like those for them just shouldn't be surprising.

Plus some people (me) don't think 3D World is big hotness or anything. It's ight but I just don't care much for the highly linear mario design. And this is from someone who 100%'d that game. I can see people liking AssCreed4 over it.

Same way I can totally see why people were enamored by Shadow of Mordor. Killing those uruks was fun. And also Bayonetta 2 was kinda disappointing for me.

oti

Banned
I feel like their tastes have been fairly consistent enough and lean in that direction often enough that decisions like those for them just shouldn't be surprising.

Plus some people (me) don't think 3D World is big hotness or anything. It's ight but I just don't care much for the highly linear mario design. And this is from someone who 100%'d that game. I can see people liking AssCreed4 over it.

Same way I can totally see why people were enamored by Shadow of Mordor. Killing those uruks was fun. And also Bayonetta 2 was kinda disappointing for me.

3D World is nowhere near Galaxy 2 for me. Personal tastes and all, but at some point, while I do like those open world action games too, I just need to take a break from them. Mario 3D World, while not being innovative in the slightest, was at least different from the other games that came out that year.

It's fine they put AC4 on it, it's their list. I just find it amusing how they often argue that "it's just another X" or "it's just more of Y" while they play and award pretty much the same type of game over and over again. But if that's what they enjoy, go for it. For me personally I have reached a point in which building up a character/world in an open world action game just isn't enough anymore to feel super good about it. I like unlocking stuff too, but not to that degree. I'll definitely check out Horizon though. Not because I'm super into that genre but because people say the story is good and Aloy seems to be interesting.

bomma_man

I don't have an issue with what they put on their list, but their arguments for including/excluding things are always so arbitrary, inconsistent and facile.

Brad in particular is either on some Machiavellin disingenuousnous or just straight up oblivious to how selectively he applies criteria.

I guess that's kinda the sausage making appeal though.

Jintor

i'm actually amazed by how well bayo 1 and 2 continue to play to GB even to this day (mostly off-hand mentions etc). They absolutely don't really have the technical appreciation for what an amazingly designed game it is but i think the gamefeel and spectacle of it always keeps them with it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what's the actual schedule for Steal my Sunshine?

I wish they'd been a little crazier with the gumball distribution.

TBH I don't understand the reverence for Bayonetta 2. The first game is better, and Bayo 2 screams super low budget, has a ton of bad writing, and was kind of a disappointment after all the hype.

It's like the one game that year that Mordor was actually better than.

- J - D -

GB Pubg should invite more non-GB people to their streams. Like, the Will Smiths and Murry Kishes of the world and such. The current formula has run its course and needs a different kind of spice.

Joeku

New blood and fresh design ethos are launching Nintendo into what could be another golden age. I enjoyed it but for as toybox charming 3D World was, it wasn't really new or crazy. Splatoon and Arms are fresh but have Nintendo style through and through, Treehouse's translations (or maybe even the orignal text) are allowed to get weird, and it feels like they're finally letting their younger producers make desicions on things because BotW and Odyssey both seem pretty out there in interesting ways (and working with Ubi for Xcom Mario is bonkers).

It's probably a good thing Miyamoto is becoming a Japanese Stan Lee. Nintendo's software is more exciting and interesting than it's been since maybe the early 3D days.

Jintor

TBH I don't understand the reverence for Bayonetta 2. The first game is better, and Bayo 2 screams super low budget, has a ton of bad writing, and was kind of a disappointment after all the hype.

its biggest sin is they jacked up the combat system just for infinite climax mode

it's an okay romp though

demidar

My biggest grievance with Bayo 2 is the game's overreliance on Witch Time to deal damage, particularly with the rival fight, and with some of the stronger demons.

Jintor

i forgot infinite climax is a difficulty setting. i mean whatever dumb thing it is where where all your attacks are op as fuck. it's good but in order ot make it special they locked away stuff like knockback and stun behind it meaning your bread and butters do jackshit and it totally messes the feeling of normal tier combat

it also sucks because the weapons are mostly more interesting than bayo 1

jaina

One would probably have to estimate the budget of a Platinum game by amount of different assets, the included pre-rendered movies and the polish (e.g. not TMNT)

2emXZ2Y.png

Alex: I've been playing the game at home for a long while now and you know what? I've found the combat to be serviceable, if not, good even. It's a hell of a game and it definitely deserves a spot in the top 5 of the year.

Dan:
lN6R1VB.jpg

wat. I don't know about you but it was the most fun I've had with a game that year. The soundtrack is amazing as well. Man, Bayonetta 2 is such a joy and I appreciate how more colorful it is compared to the first game. I enjoyed Wonderful 101 a fuck ton as well but that game came out a year before Bayonetta 2 and we're strictly talking about 2014.

I wasn't listening to an old beastcast and Dan was talking about when he reviewed Vanquish(I think?) at Gameinformer. He said, "I gave it a low score, a 7 or 7.5"

This is the thing everyone jokes about with review scores, and he just admitted to having been part of the problem, and with complete seriousness lol.

It's episode 103 around the 57 mark

Oakinn

Hey, everybody. I'm new here. I visited this thread more than any other up until my activation, so I thought it'd make most sense to make an introductory post here!

Now that that's out of the way, and for the purpose of being on topic, I'd just like to say that they should totally bring back Scrub League. That was a dope feature for the short amount of time that it existed.

Welcome from another new guy!

Hey, everybody. I'm new here. I visited this thread more than any other up until my activation, so I thought it'd make most sense to make an introductory post here!

Now that that's out of the way, and for the purpose of being on topic, I'd just like to say that they should totally bring back Scrub League. That was a dope feature for the short amount of time that it existed.

Welcome friend.

Scrub League was great! I think the issue with bringing it back is the limited staff.

what are your thoughts on upf and how chill it is

TraBuch

Banned
Scrub league's never gonna happen again, unfortunately. There just aren't enough people. They could grab interns and people from other parts of Whiskey Media in that MK video, who would they pull for a new one?

Scrub league's never gonna happen again, unfortunately. There just aren't enough people. They could grab interns and people from other parts of Whiskey Media in that MK video, who would they pull for a new one?

All the CBSi people in other departments the west office and clip on ties in the east office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom