• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - | 10-14-2014 |

Jeff really hit the nail on the head with Borderlands 2 re: the downgrade in writing and the weird loot system. It's soooo close to being one of the best games ever.

I bet Destiny is top 5 come GOTY time. Right alongside Bayonetta 2, Shadow of Mordor, Wolfenstein and some other random 5th (South Park? Forza Horizon 2? Divinity? Smash Wii U?)

I can't see Destiny making their official list. It will absolutely make Brand's personal though, and quite high.

HereticJ

The frustrating thing about Destiny is that every one probably knows at this point whether the game is for them or not.

At this point, GAF, Giantbomb, everything seemingly video game related is infected with Destiny talk - good or bad - like CNN with that missing Malaysian Airlines plane. It just doesn't stop and WE GET IT.

A lot of people dislike it and are disappointed. Totally valid. Others enjoy it for what it is. Also valid. What else is there to discuss? Sure, reasons why it was bad/good/whatever is all great in the OT but for Destiny and Destiny only it's perfectly fine to derail EVERY thread and EVERY news story about how everyone feels about Destiny.

The absolute worst of it is the jokes dispensed at every possible opportunity. It's like "I'm Rick James, bitch!" and "That's what she said!" and "FHUTA" all over again.

As far as the Giantbomb stuff, like others have said, it's been largely the same Jeff/Brad discussion for a month now. Worse, it feels like games that are actually worth discussing get a small fraction of the time Destiny still gets. Maybe I'm crazy, but it says something when the site gives game X a 3/5, then game Y a 5/5 (Mordor) but talks about game X twice as many times.

Alucrid

Banned
Jeff's slip of the tongue of Xenoblade as Xenosaga brought back the painful realization that there will never be an hd collection

Ninhead

The frustrating thing about Destiny is that every one probably knows at this point whether the game is for them or not.

At this point, GAF, Giantbomb, everything seemingly video game related is infected with Destiny talk - good or bad - like CNN with that missing Malaysian Airlines plane. It just doesn't stop and WE GET IT.

A lot of people dislike it and are disappointed. Totally valid. Others enjoy it for what it is. Also valid. What else is there to discuss? Sure, reasons why it was bad/good/whatever is all great in the OT but for Destiny and Destiny only it's perfectly fine to derail EVERY thread and EVERY news story about how everyone feels about Destiny.

The absolute worst of it is the jokes dispensed at every possible opportunity. It's like "I'm Rick James, bitch!" and "That's what she said!" and "FHUTA" all over again.

As far as the Giantbomb stuff, like others have said, it's been largely the same Jeff/Brad discussion for a month now. Worse, it feels like games that are actually worth discussing get a small fraction of the time Destiny still gets. Maybe I'm crazy, but it says something when the site gives game X a 3/5, then game Y a 5/5 (Mordor) but talks about game X twice as many times.

Are you criticising the part of the show where they talk about what they've been playing? The podcast isn't entirely critical.

Rapstah

Nobody else feels the same way Brad does about Destiny.

Hell even when Brad defends it he talks about it like its a life threatening addiction he can't stop.

Brad talking about something like it's a life threatening addiction doesn't actually mean anything for if he likes it or not.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really surprised that Brad and Dan talked down the visuals of The Evil Within so much. I know they mentioned it had great art direction, but even on a technical level, I think it's the most impressive use of idTech 5 yet. It doesn't suffer nearly as much from ugly-ass low-res texture syndrome as Wolfenstein, and RAGE in particular, did. The Evil Within also actually has some manner of dynamic lighting and looks quite impressive in many areas.

Then again, I'm still in the early parts of the game.

Borderlands 2 humour is bad, Saints Row 4 is totally rad.

Ok then Giantbomb.

Are you saying they have the same type of humor? I laughed at quite a few bits in Saints Row 4, but everything about the writing in Borderlands 2 was extremely off-putting to me. I didn't much like the humor in the original Borderlands, either.

Xander51

Really surprised that Brad and Dan talked down the visuals of The Evil Within so much. I know they mentioned it had great art direction, but even on a technical level, I think it's the most impressive use of idTech 5 yet. It doesn't suffer nearly as much from ugly-ass low-res texture syndrome as Wolfenstein, and RAGE in particular, did. The Evil Within also actually has some manner of dynamic lighting and looks quite impressive in many areas.

Then again, I'm still in the early parts of the game.

I completely agree with you actually. I've always enjoyed the look of idTech 5, but the Evil Within is far and away the best-looking game on the engine.

Everyone in this thread bitching about Destiny:

1386589959969.jpg

Big woop if you don't agree with 1 person. The amount of Destiny content is TINY compared to everything else, and they really have only been discussing it on the bombcast (for about 20 mins each time).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Everyone in this thread bitching about Destiny:

Big woop if you don't agree with 1 person. The amount of Destiny content is TINY compared to everything else, and they really have only been discussing it on the bombcast (for about 20 mins each time).

4 hour launch day stream from two perspectives, two quick looks, seven hour stream of the raid, topic on every Bombcast since release for more time than they talk combined about every other video game discussed.

Tiny?

Beyond this, that comic is one of the stupidest fucking things on the internet. The implication being that discussion is only allowed if positive is just downright offensive.

Fox318

What have Vinny, Patrick, and Alex thought about Destiny? I don't know if there is anyone who cares besides Brad, much less willing to fight for it against Jeff.

Patrick doesn't cover or play AAA games anymore or games made by a team more than 3 people.
Isn't Vinny's consoles still locked up in storage until his house is completed in 2017?
Alex was too busy reading twitter to care about destiny.

Giantbomb's GOTY will be Destiny.

Brad has the power and the touch

Van Owen

Banned
Pretty sure Brad is wrong about the raid boss rewards NOT happening just once a week, but I'm sure someone has let him know.

skynidas

Banned
Pretty sure Brad is wrong about the raid boss rewards NOT happening just once a week, but I'm sure someone has let him know.

I think he said that the boss rewards do happen every time you do the raid. The things that he said Don't happen are the chests spawns

Celegus

I don't mind discussion about games I have no interest in (which is most of them, to be honest) but it always boils down to the same points - the game has good gameplay but too much repetition and obscure systems. It's like I'm listening to the same conversation week after week. It's pretty bad when half of the people on the podcast (Dan and Jason) are tired of hearing about it too.

Obviously they can talk about whatever they want, I was just happy to hear them say they're done talking about Destiny until the DLC comes out.

Fjordson

I don't mind the Destiny talk, especially since they're coming at it from different sides which keeps it somewhat interesting.

Either way, I'm not surprised it's kept up after launch. It's a divisive, massively hyped AAA game. Plenty of ammo there for discussion.

mattp

I hope they don't go deeper into the whole gamer gate issue later. I play video games to escape the real world and have fun, I really don't wont to hear about that horrible shit.

so do the women who are having their fucking hobby ruined for them by assholes
you're not the only person trying to have fun
grown up

Either way, I'm not surprised it's kept up after launch. It's a divisive, massively hyped AAA game. Plenty of ammo there for discussion.

But there isn't. As said above:

I don't mind discussion about games I have no interest in (which is most of them, to be honest) but it always boils down to the same points - the game has good gameplay but too much repetition and obscure systems. It's like I'm listening to the same conversation week after week.

That's the problem I'm having with the podcast as well.

The thing is, Destiny is the biggest game release this year, which speaks volumes about this year, but it's pretty much all they have to talk about.

I love Mordor, but there's not much to say beyond "I killed some Orcs this one time" or "I haven't watched the movies or read the books but I think this aspect is dumb bullshit" for the tenth time. Dan played Bayonetta 2 and talked about it, Jeff's takeaway from E3 was simply "It's good but it would be better on the PS4" and they're not really in to harder character action games, anyway.

That leaves Destiny.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I really don't like Destiny at all but I'm loving the talk on the bombcast so far, about an hour and a half in. It's just so mind boggling what happened to that game...such a mystery that I hope we'll get some inside stories on at some point.

Anth0ny

I super hope that really was the last of the Destiny talk.

Brad will bring it up every week, just like he did with DOTA.

I've enjoyed the Destiny talk up until now. Discussing the most disappointing game of the year and how fucked up it is has been a fascinating listen. Obviously, I've agreed with Jeff on basically every point. He basically had the same experience with the game as I've had.

Finally, I agree with him when he says... NO MORE DESTINY TALK. With they raid, they've really talked about everything "important" when it comes to Destiny. No more 40 minute conversations are needed. Spend some of that time on Bayonetta 2 :)

Fevaweva

Destiny gets so much talk, and more talk than Mordor, is because it is an interesting failure. At least, that is what I think.

Mechazawa

http://abload.de/img/bestversion1ms01.png

This is great. That "I don't like thing." comic is so shitty, especially since talking about shit you do and don't like is the entire point of the majority of places a comic like that would get posted.

Really enjoyed hearing Brad's thoughts on Evil Within. I listened to him talk about it, then immediately booted up the game for the first time.

I liked it immediately, so hearing that it improves gets me anxious to play more.

Wow - did not expect the backlash from a simple little .png - in hindsight I probably should not have posted it.

As for my actual thoughts, I don't have a problem with Destiny talk - even though I've got barely any interest in it. I've played WoW on and off for 10 years, so I'm definitely one for the mmo type trappings - and I just really love interesting boss encounters. Now I'm not sure if Destiny has this...

Anyway, I guess I don't have a problem with all the Destiny coverage due to the sheer breadth of it all. I mean, if they spent the same amount of "man hours" covering something akin to an indie game, but part of the reason why people are still into seeing Destiny (succeed or fail) is because it's one of those gaming milestone. You can't discuss Destiny without throwing out that elusive $500 million figure.

Destiny also marks the end of the summer drought. It's not hard to tell that Jeff n Crew have been going a bit stir crazy without any actual games coming out. I mean, how long did we hear them talk about Diablo 3 for? Yes, not as long - but they were speaking about it so much BECAUSE there was LITERALLY
(figuratively)
nothing else to talk about.

However, I have hope. Destiny will die down. I can see Brad continuing it for a bit - because it really scratches that loot itch (apparently - no personal experience to go on). As for me, I'll just ignore that type of talk/content and just wait for more Diretide stuff.

Either way, it will be VERY interesting to hear their GOTY deliberations regarding Destiny.

beatnik11

Neo Member
I like the Destiny talk because it really shines a spotlight on how much of an apologist Brad can be. I watched a large portion of the raid live, if it wasnt for some funny moments of frustration or people dying, I dont think I could have handled it because it was quite possibly one of the most boring pieces of content to ever come out of GB. Nothing about it looked enjoyable. Jeff's comments about the flaws of the game are spot on. Hell Brad cant even refute them, he just has to grudgingly admit to every point but then throws in "but I still love the game" without any sound reasoning.

I didnt really care that Brad liked ME3, I dont care that he loves DOTA2, but seeing him go the distance propping up an empty husk of a game like Destiny is just maddening. If Brad tries to filibuster and get Destiny on the top 10 then I really wont have any respect for his opinions when it comes to games

HereticJ

Are you criticising the part of the show where they talk about what they've been playing? The podcast isn't entirely critical.

I don't care that they're critical of it at all. The criticisms toward Destiny are accurate, like I said.

My point is that we're halfway through October headed into the biggest season for games and the focus of discussion for a month now has been a game largely considered to be a disappointment. All the while games they loved aren't talked about a whole lot. There was a decent chunk on Mordor and IIRC one person stated they loved Bayonetta 2 but no one inquired any further than that. I am merely pointing out how frustrating it is that this one game is getting more attention than better games, even when the people talking about it agree those games are better.

It's like listening to a podcast featuring TV reviewers who spend 20 minutes every show talking about how stupid American Idol is rather than how good Hannibal is.

Fjordson

I don't care that they're critical of it at all. The criticisms toward Destiny are accurate, like I said.

My point is that we're halfway through October headed into the biggest season for games and the focus of discussion for a month now has been a game largely considered to be a disappointment. All the while games they loved aren't talked about a whole lot. There was a decent chunk on Mordor and IIRC one person stated they loved Bayonetta 2 but no one inquired any further than that. I am merely pointing out how frustrating it is that this one game is getting more attention than better games, even when the people talking about it agree those games are better.

It's like listening to a podcast featuring TV reviewers who spend 20 minutes every show talking about how stupid American Idol is rather than how good Hannibal is.
I get what you're saying, but I feel like a discussion about something that draws out contrasting opinions can sometimes be more interesting than just a chorus of praise.

rudds

Name 10 better posters this year
I super hope that really was the last of the Destiny talk.

I said right there in the podcast that I would let everyone know when I hit level 30 and otherwise there's nothing left to talk about. Good lord.

Destiny is so weird. I paid $60 for it so I (and anyone else who also paid $60 for it) have the right to say whatever I want.

The game is not what I wanted. Yet I still want to play it sometimes. I feel ashamed of myself for saying that. I even might buy the expansions. I feel ashamed to say that. I feel like I don't want anyone at Bungie to read that. I don't want them to think I'm so happy with the game that I might actually give them more money. Because they don't deserve it. And I actually want my $60 back. But I like the game! It's so hard to have a concrete opinion about this game.

I do like hearing them talk about it. I feel like Jeff represents the rational part of my brain, and I'm all "Hell yeah, the game sucks!" Then Brad represents the more irrational part. "You're right, it has so many problems. But I can't stop."

Top Bottom