• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheska said:
So I'm sure I cant be the only one who feels this way, but I really don't give a shit if I get married or not.

I've been with my boyfriend for four years now, and all he keeps talking about now is how we should start saving money to get married. Honestly, I don't really care. Now don't get me wrong, Im completely in love, and no doubt want to spend the rest of my life with him, but I feel like I can be happy with us just living together.

I'm also not afraid to admit that I can be very materialistic, and would rather buy new tech toys/cars/pets etc.

I think part of why I feel this way is also because of the fact that we both grew up fast, yet are still so young (I'm only 22 -_-) We already own a home, have three cars, three pets and both have stable jobs.

My mom definitely doesn't want me to take that step yet, but she eventually wants grandchildren. However, I come from a heavy Italian Catholic background, so having kids without getting married is frowned upon :/

Eh, just thought I'd see if any other ladies felt remotely similar. All my friends think I'm nuts and pretty much feel the exact opposite of me.

If you don't want the pressure of marriage or the responsibility of kids yet hold your ground. If you're not ready, don't force it on yourself just to make him happy. It will make you miserable. Seen it happen (in both directions) far too often.

Cheska

Devolution said:
If you don't want the pressure of marriage or the responsibility of kids yet hold your ground. If you're not ready, don't force it on yourself just to make him happy. It will make you miserable. Seen it happen (in both directions) far too often.

I wouldn't really say I'm being pressured. More so is it odd that I'm not interested in the prospect of getting married?

EDIT: Growing up, it's like all we see if these fairy tales about princesses getting married, and the media making such a big deal out of having the perfect marriage. I guess I'm just not a typical girl in that sense.

Aeana

Cheska said:
So I'm sure I cant be the only one who feels this way, but I really don't give a shit if I get married or not.

I've been with my boyfriend for four years now, and all he keeps talking about now is how we should start saving money to get married. Honestly, I don't really care. Now don't get me wrong, Im completely in love, and no doubt want to spend the rest of my life with him, but I feel like I can be happy with us just living together.

I'm also not afraid to admit that I can be very materialistic, and would rather buy new tech toys/cars/pets etc.

I think part of why I feel this way is also because of the fact that we both grew up fast, yet are still so young (I'm only 22 -_-) We already own a home, have three cars, three pets and both have stable jobs.

My mom definitely doesn't want me to take that step yet, but she eventually wants grandchildren. However, I come from a heavy Italian Catholic background, so having kids without getting married is frowned upon :/

Eh, just thought I'd see if any other ladies felt remotely similar. All my friends think I'm nuts and pretty much feel the exact opposite of me.
Well I'm definitely the opposite of you. I'm pretty traditional, though, I guess. I'd always dreamed of getting married, and the idea of calling someone my "husband" was always so appealing even as a teen. As I got older, even though it became less idealized in my mind, I still looked forward to it. Now it'll finally be happening for me soon and I don't think I could possibly be more excited about it.

Still, plenty of my girlfriends are the same way, so you certainly aren't alone. Marriage just isn't as important to people as it used to be. You just gotta do what feels right and what makes you happy.

Cheska said:
I wouldn't really say I'm being pressured. More so is it odd that I'm not interested in the prospect of getting married?

Then be honest with everyone and say so. If you live long enough with your guy you get common law entitlements anyway. If you don't mind me asking though, what about marriage disinterests you?

Prax

Cheska said:

I say, don't rush into it if you don't want to yet.
You can get around to having kids when you feel like it.

It's awesome that you have a pretty well setup life though! I would like a house and pets and three cars! Maaaaaannnnn...

I suppose after a few more years, if you're going to stay together forever anyway, then why not get married? Get some tax breaks or something. I suppose it's really spending all that money and having a huge wedding that's the issue, and I agree that most weddings seem like a huge waste when you can be buying more cool stuff.

Can't you just get a paper signed and voila? Passport to having kids?

Cheska

Prax said:
I suppose it's really spending all that money and having a huge wedding that's the issue, and I agree that most weddings seem like a huge waste when you can be buying more cool stuff.?

This is exactly why. I can't get away with having something simple, so the thought of spending thousands of dollars on one day scares me. There's just so much more that could be accomplished with that.

shanshan310 said:
My first question would be, are you eating enough? Or a good variety?

Like devolution said, try putting on some muscle weight. I recommend doing some kind of martial art because its a good all-rounder kind of sport. Also might help if you ever get into an unwanted situation.

I'd really like to lose maybe 2 - 3 kg, but I know that if I start dieting my breasts will be the first things to go, and there isn't much there to start off with. :'(
Well, I've always been a light-eater, and I've been keeping my meal sizes pretty constant all this time (except for when I'm too busy cramming for an exam lol). Pretty good balance too, with meats and veggies and fruits.

If I put on muscle weight, that won't help my breasts come back, would it? That's kind of the biggest loss I'm mourning over lol.

Aeana said:
Well I'm definitely the opposite of you. I'm pretty traditional, though, I guess. I'd always dreamed of getting married, and the idea of calling someone my "husband" was always so appealing even as a teen. As I got older, even though it became less idealized in my mind, I still looked forward to it. Now it'll finally be happening for me soon and I don't think I could possibly be more excited about it.

Still, plenty of my girlfriends are the same way, so you certainly aren't alone. Marriage just isn't as important to people as it used to be. You just gotta do what feels right and what makes you happy.
Pretty much agree with everything here, save for the part about getting married soon. I'm pretty traditional too, and being committed to someone to the extent of being able to call him 'husband', and him call me 'wife' would be nice.

I'm still pretty young, so marriage is a far-off venture though. If you don't want to get married, then don't. And you're really young too, so maybe you'll change your mind as the years go by, maybe not.

Also, how the hell do you own a home and three cars at age 22 lol.

Prax

Cheska said:
This is exactly why. I can't get away with having something simple, so the thought of spending thousands of dollars on one day scares me. There's just so much more that could be accomplished with that.

I am already preparing my family by telling them I will be throwing the cheapest, hokiest wedding. Because all they really want is an excuse to go to a party and drink and eat my cake or something.

My family is huge. And Asian. And generally traditional, so of course they want a huge wedding with full course meals, and 3 dress changes or something. And that is expensive. And I don't want to deal with wedding politics (seating, invites, etc etc). So.. I think I will find a way to cheap out on everything I can. And the only way to do that without raising their indignation meter ("HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US, DAUGHTER?!"), I have to steadily lower their expectations with cheaper and more hairbrained plans as time goes on.

Can you ask your guests to give you money as a wedding gift? At least that's how it works for Asian weddings! If you're lucky, you break even! Haha. Maybe if I do this right, I will make a profit!

I guess I'm old fashioned but I do want to get married. Wedding, dress, honeymoon all sound pretty sweet, but mostly its kind of a declaration "I love this man!". I don't think it will change the relationship in anyway, but I feel like its an important moment in life. But we both still live with our parents -_- I think moving out together should come before any of that.

The wedding doesn't have to be lush. I mean, my parents got married at my aunt's house. They decorated the garden up nice and pretty, and my mum cooked a lot of the food (and got friends to "bring a dish" as a wedding present :p ). There are ways to save money.

_Isaac said:
What's it like being a girl?

Pretty awesome. You get boobs and people open doors for you :p

ashmountains said:
If I put on muscle weight, that won't help my breasts come back, would it? That's kind of the biggest lost I'm mourning over lol.

Not really no. But if you do lots of push ups your breast muscles get toned - making your boobs more perky ^^

ikkemenx

ashmountains said:
If I put on muscle weight, that won't help my breasts come back, would it? That's kind of the biggest lost I'm mourning over lol.

If you build your pectorals it might help a bit, even get you perkier.

Cheska

ashmountains said:
Also, how the hell do you own a home and three cars at age 22 lol.

We've both been working since we were 16 :) He's actually going to be 25 in October, so he's had a bit of a head start but he's now an electrical engineer and I work in the Veterinary field. I suppose you could also say he's better at managing money than I am lol.

Way to make me feel inferior, Cheska.
KuGsj.gif

Professor Beef said:
I hope this thread lasts longer than the Boy-Age thread. That being said, I will be subscribing to this thread because I love reading threads like this.

I guess we can talk about that in here too. Does posting pictures of guys comply with GAF's new PG13 rule?

Blackhead

Redarse
Cheska said:
Well in some cultures the man's family has to pay for the wedding so perhaps you can get away it that. Getting married also means more money in the long run, due to governments subsidizing marriages with joint taxes, deductibles for couples, and so on.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
i got married for the legal status of it, that's it. my husband and i both couldn't give much of a fuck about marriage otherwise. it just seemed like the smart move to make: we're both from different countries so it makes the whole immigration thing a lot easier, plus paying less taxes doesn't hurt, ability to have a joint bank account, ability to make decisions regarding the other's health, etc.

you get perks in the eyes of the law if you're married that you don't get if you aren't. that was basically our motivation. i know we'd be just as happy if we weren't married.

also, we didn't spend much on our wedding, because it didn't (and still doesn't) seem like that big of a deal to us. it was a civil ceremony with immediate family and then a small party. that's it.

Cheska said:

Why not just have something simple then? I don't know why people feel so powerless over it, it's YOUR wedding. Are family members not going to talk to you or something if you don't have a swanky enough of a wedding? They may complain at first but just tell them it's what you two have decided. I just can't understand why people feel powerless over how they want they're wedding, no one is going to kick you out of your family because you didn't have a big enough of a wedding.

So, I read this article the other day about cursing in the workplace.

Here's the part that gets me the most:

Women communicate differently than men and that’s a good thing. Cursing by a male is generally accepted in the workplace, while the same words spoken by a female are considered offensive. Using foul language to prove that you are as tough as any male is a losing strategy. Here’s why.

A woman’s way of communicating is one of her most dynamic talents. Women are natural communicators. Men listen, and women talk — to everyone. Our ability to communicate is not just about talking, we are also aware of what others are thinking. We are keen observers and instinctively notice such things as body language, facial expressions, and tone of voice, which collectively give us the unique skill of perceptive communication.

As perceptive communicators we are able to tailor our message to fit the listener. This distinctive talent is forfeited when we resort to the use of foul language.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this whole concept of "men can do it but women can't" really pissed me right off.

Swearing in the workplace may not be professional, but when Powerpoint erases 8-hours worth of work for no good reason, damn straight I'll be dropping an f-bomb or two.

Does that make me less professional or valuable in the workplace than a man? This article would suggest it does. Because he's allowed to swear without other people thinking he's a moron.

Effing double-standards.

I don't think its just in the workplace. Across the board it is more acceptable for men to swear than women. I think there's still a view that we should be more refined "young ladies". I feel kinda uncomfortable swearing though, to be honest.

shanshan310 said:
I don't think its just in the workplace. Across the board it is more acceptable for men to swear than women. I think there's still a view that we should be more refined "young ladies". I feel kinda uncomfortable swearing though, to be honest.

I love chicks hat swear, although I like chicks who are kinda trashy. Not full on trashy but just enough.

Londa

Banned
Soru said:
I've just went on fb-gaf. There is a girl-gaf member who I have mutual friends with outside neogaf. Small world.

Gigi.

just to let you know, girls get the creeps when guys act like this over the internet.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ashmountains said:
Here's a question that I guess won't gather many responses, but what the hell: have any other girl-gaffers tried to gain weight? I've been losing quite a lot of weight lately, and I have no idea why. And, you know, I kinda miss having boobs. So I want to gain some healthy weight back, but no success as of yet. I'm like 41kg right now, and my bras don't fit properly anymore. =(
God yes! I've never gone as low as 41, though. 54KG was my limit but then again I'm a bit taller than most girls. I know this isn't the right way to go but I started eating unhealthy food like mad and even then it took me almost a year to gain enough weight, protein and work out alone never worked for me for some reason, but mixture of two worked like magic, workout + protien + unheathy food. One great thing about having high metabolism is that if you do get carried away and put on a bit too much weight it won't take you long to get rid of it. I want to loose 4 to 6 kgs and I'm currently 64. That would take me around a week or maybe two, 58 is perfect for my hight since I'm 5' 8"

Soru said:
I've just went on fb-gaf. There is a girl-gaf member who I have mutual friends with outside neogaf. Small world.

Gigi.
She's not even a member yet from what I remember. She's awaiting account activation.

Soru said:
I love chicks hat swear, although I like chicks who are kinda trashy. Not full on trashy but just enough.
I don't mind a few curses here and there but if there's a curse injected into every sentence that comes out of her mouth I tend to be turned off. My first girlfriend was like that in hindsight. Not sure how I didn't see it...

Londa

Banned
spindashing said:
She's not even a member yet from what I remember. She's awaiting account activation.

I don't mind a few curses here and there but if there's a curse injected into every sentence that comes out of her mouth I tend to be turned off. My first girlfriend was like that in hindsight. Not sure how I didn't see it...

WOW lol that status to fish for girl gaf failed. No females have replied to it. Its weird that they do not see how creepy they come off.

Londa said:
just to let you know, girls get the creeps when guys act like this over the internet.

I've never had anyone say this to me, do you know why?

Because I don't hit on anyone over the internet.

Londa

Banned
Soru said:
I've never had anyone say this to me, do you know why?

Because I don't hit on anyone over the internet.

So you was interested in her having a mutual friend of yours not because she was female/attractive?

ikkemenx

Londa said:
WOW lol that status to fish for girl gaf failed. No females have replied to it. Its weird that they do not see how creepy they come off.

LOL I replied...didn't think it was fishing or anything. My privacy settings are decent though so I don't really care.

ronito

BladeWorker said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but this whole concept of "men can do it but women can't" really pissed me right off.

Swearing in the workplace may not be professional, but when Powerpoint erases 8-hours worth of work for no good reason, damn straight I'll be dropping an f-bomb or two.

Does that make me less professional or valuable in the workplace than a man? This article would suggest it does. Because he's allowed to swear without other people thinking he's a moron.

Effing double-standards.
Oh I don't know about that. I have plenty of female coworkers that will drop an F-bomb here and there and no one even bats an eye. Keep in mind this is isn't retail or anything this is upper management. After 15 years in the workplace (and nearly 2 dozen companies) I can only think of 2 times when someone swore that it was shocking. We had an older lady that projected this "Very nice, prim and proper." image. She talked about her nieces and nephews, baking and her dogs all day. Incredibly nice lady. When she started swearing like a drunk sailor it was fairly shocking/a big deal.

But then I can't necessarily say that's because she was a woman. There was a director who was always big on professionalism and never doing anything that might not be professional, a bit of a stick in the mud. And he got really pissed off at someone and after he hung up on him he shouted 'Mother Fucking Cocksucker!". THAT shocked everyone far more than when that woman swore.

I support this thread.

My wife is a member and her account was approved before mine. GAF mods love the ladies, I guess. To be fair I originally registered in 2006, everyone in the queue got wiped, I re-registered and then lost access to the e-mail account I signed up with and had to register again before finally getting approved so that could have something to do with it.

She is 23 now and has been gaming all her life since the SNES era. We play everything together. She's on here all the time but never posts anything and repeated attempt to convince her to do so have failed. I think some things from the current generation like Xbox Live have left some permanent scars.

ronito

my wife's on here too though she's usually too busy to post. even if she did you wouldn't be able to guess who it was

Zyzyxxz

BladeWorker said:

Effing double-standards.

It must not count cooks because all the women who I worked with at my last restaurant were nice but spoke tough when shit needed to be done.

spindashing said:
I understood this post as Soru saying she was Gigi... you know, putting it as a signature or something.

spindashing said:
Was it really fishing for girl GAF? It was just another role call since people in here didn't know who was who.
Yeah, that's how I saw it, too.

Londa said:
I thought you weren't a part of the group any more? I guess you can still see the posts in it though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom