• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Girl-Gaf - A thread for girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisaya

Oh actually, at one point I was obsessively collecting YGO cards. Does that count? Hahaha.

I tried with Pokemon too but at one point all of those cards ~disappeared~ (I think my siblings played around with them :/ )

ikkemenx

cloudwalking said:
i had that one, too.

but really, am i the only girl here who played with boys' toys mostly as a kid? i mean, sure, i had barbies and stuffed animals and all that, but 90% of the time i played with ninja turtles and batman action figures and hot wheels. oh, and i was obsessed with spiderman.

oh and dolls, like little baby ones that come with a bottle and stroller and stuff? i HATED them. to me it was unfathomable how it could possibly be fun to pretend to be a mother. must have followed me into adulthood because i still hate babies.

I mostly played with Lego and Power Rangers toys (woohoo MegaZord!), but I had Barbies in my youngest phase (3-6). I still liked Barbies when I went all-out tomboy from that point onwards though. I really didn't have many toys overall though, not like most of the kids I knew growing up. Was fine with my video games.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
kisaya said:
I was very girly back then so I played with all of those :( But I lost interest in toys after I got a computer haha

it's weird, because now i am the biggest girly girl ever, haha. i'm pretty obsessed with makeup and clothes and shoes and handbags. it was like a switch got flipped around age 17 because before that i didn't give a shit about any of that stuff and was a giant tomboy.

some of my old habits stuck around, like the gaming i guess.

ikkemenx

cloudwalking said:
it's weird, because now i am the biggest girly girl ever, haha. i'm pretty obsessed with makeup and clothes and shoes and handbags. it was like a switch got flipped around age 17 because before that i didn't give a shit about any of that stuff and was a giant tomboy.

To me the "switch" was actually wanting to attract boys. I'm still internally very much the same.

edit: also realizing people treated me much better when I looked "nice"

leadbelly

Banned
Prax said:
51FjhTbzK-L.jpg

barbie_jewelry_01.jpg

Kinyou

ikkemenx said:
Don't mind. Skinny jeans don't always look extreme/emo (if the guy has calves they can look quite decent). And they vary in skinniness, too. Thin is alright, really depends how thin and stuff though. IMO best is lean with slight musculature.
I'd assume that's too skinny?

unbenannte70e.jpg

Kisaya

cloudwalking said:

Yeah same. I went from girly --> tomboyish --> girly again. I think being girly is fine, and you can be girly and still play video games and all.

leadbelly

Banned
Devolution said:
I'd also throw mine off the balcony of my family's apartment into the shared backyard.

lol

Not that I actually had a Barbie, but any I would come across would probably end up limbless as a result of the war gallantly fought by my action figures. :D

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
Yeah same. I went from girly --> tomboyish --> girly again. I think being girly is fine, and you can be girly and still play video games and all.

Yeah. For me having other girls not accept me as a kid for liking the same things boys like made me go "fine, I don't like stupid girl things anyways. I AM NOW A BOY" *wears boys clothes* I essentially grew up with boys and with a boy perspective.

At this age I think I look a lot better as a girl than I do in my brother's clothes, haha. But I've also succeeded in cultivating a female identity that's still very much true to my inner-tomboy. And though I'm girlier I'm still pretty minimalist in my style and would feel very much uncomfortable in anything like the lacey style of clothing posted a few pages back. A nice middle-ground I would say. ^^

Kisaya

ikkemenx said:
Yeah. For me having other girls not accept me as a kid for liking the same things boys like made me go "fine, I don't like stupid girl things anyways. I AM NOW A BOY" *wears boys clothes* I essentially grew up with boys and with a boy perspective.

At this age I think I look a lot better as a girl than I do in my brother's clothes, haha. But I've also succeeded in cultivating a female identity that's still very much true to my inner-tomboy. And though I'm girlier I'm still pretty minimalist in my style and would feel very much uncomfortable in anything like the lacey style of clothing posted a few pages back. A nice middle-ground I would say. ^^

Actually with me I never had any guy friends until high school. Never really felt like "one of the guys" but didn't fit in with the girly girls either. I was with the "gamer gurl"/tomboy clique during the end of elementary school and most of middle school.

ikkemenx

kisaya said:
Actually with me I never had any guy friends until high school. Never really felt like "one of the guys" but didn't fit in with the girly girls either. I was with the "gamer gurl"/tomboy clique during the end of elementary school and most of middle school.

I'm envious! I was pretty much the only tomboy at every elementary school I attended.

Prax

I have always been somewhat of a tomboy or "tough girl" in style. But it's mostly because being "girly" apparently required way too many steps and I am eternally lazy. If I could.. and had the money, I would dress as a "military gypsy/bohemian" or something. A nice mix of tough and hippy.

I contemplated going into fashion design when I was younger. But then I realized I didn't care for most fashion trends for girls and would never make it in the fashion world!

I wasn't social enough have the energy to hang out with many girls or guys. And I guess I was too self-conscious hanging around people that seemed too judgmental. I ended up just hanging out most with other offbeat and quirky nerdy girls during high school. Which was pretty awesome. High school was a pretty fun experience for me.

Because I love Kate Beaton.. and I love commentary/satire on the state of sexism and feminism:
strongfemalessmall.gif

Reminds me of Bayonetta in some way. Sometimes I think we don't know what we mean by "strong female" anymore.

Londa

Banned
Prax said:
I interpret this as: Yes. Faking an orgasm during intercourse is to end it faster. Ladies be getting bored.

Also on skinny jeans on guys:
Depends if you have the look that works with them and the kind of girl you want to be attracting.

What's with this turning into a "ask girls for advice about girls" thread? xD Dang it dudes, I am not sure I necessarily want to help you by bearing all our trade secrets!

Yeah I'm getting tired of these kind of questions.

ikkemenx

Prax said:
I have always been somewhat of a tomboy or "tough girl" in style. But it's mostly because being "girly" apparently required way too many steps and I am eternally lazy. If I could.. and had the money, I would dress as a "military gypsy/bohemian" or something. A nice mix of tough and hippy.

I contemplated going into fashion design when I was younger. But then I realized I didn't care for most fashion trends for girls and would never make it in the fashion world!

I wasn't social enough have the energy to hang out with many girls or guys. And I guess I was too self-conscious hanging around people that seemed too judgmental. I ended up just hanging out most with other offbeat and quirky nerdy girls during high school. Which was pretty awesome. High school was a pretty fun experience for me.

Because I love Kate Beaton.. and I love commentary/satire on the state of sexism and feminism:
http://www.harkavagrant.com/nonsense/strongfemalessmall.gif[IMG]

Reminds me of Bayonetta in some way. Sometimes I think we don't know what we mean by "strong female" anymore.[/QUOTE]

Ahaha, Kate Beaton <3 High school was a dreadful experience as I stuck with the guys (just the way I had developed socially; was no longer comfortable around girls) and puberty just made a mess of things. Ended up losing a lot of friends for reasons that couldn't be helped.

Prax said:
http://www.harkavagrant.com/nonsense/strongfemalessmall.gif[IMG]

Reminds me of Bayonetta in some way. Sometimes I think we don't know what we mean by "strong female" anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'm always having a discussion with someone how chicks in the vidya are either the damsel in distress or the tough bitch, and it wouldn't hurt to have a medium somewhere in there.

Devolution said:
I always having a discussion with someone how chicks in the vidya are either the damsel in distress or the tough bitch, and it wouldn't hurt to have a medium somewhere in there.
How about where a character that's traditionally been the damsel in distress gets a chance to be the strong female lead? For example:
superprincesspeach.jpg

cooljeanius said:
How about where a character that's traditionally been the damsel in distress gets a chance to be the strong female lead? For example:
superprincesspeach.jpg

Heh, that looks fun. And there isn't a problem with the damsel in distress (especially if it's mostly in fun, I like Mario Bros games) or the tough woman however when the market is saturated with them and they're mostly relegated to secondary characters it can be annoying.

I gotta know.

Any other girls who watched Little Mermaid when they were kids.

Am I the only one who tried to do the hair flip thing after she trades her voice for legs and hits the surface of the water?

tumblr_lq1wmaab2F1qza0fjo1_500_thumb.jpg

I still do this. :3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, uh, I received some comments that the thread might be veering a little too much into guys coming in and Dear Abby-ing the girls to death. I'm not saying guys can't ask questions and they're certainly welcome to post, but this is a thread intended for girls so I might zap a few posts if the thread gets hijacked more :p

cooljeanius said:
[idmg]http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/superprincesspeach.jpg[/img]

Alyx from hl2 is my waifu. There are plenty of good female characters in gaming out there, but the overwhelming majority caters to "that" demographic. I wonder what girlgaf thinks of this type of shit.....

vanilla alyx
Alyx_Vance.png

alyx modded to look "better"
CM10.10-08.jpg

There's tons of examples like this....shit makes me cringe.

Prax

cooljeanius said:
superprincesspeach.jpg

It's kind of cool. And I like Peach in general, because she's a cutie..
But her power is her "crazy emotions" :l
I dunno. It just.. Sometimes the stereotypes are just so blatant. lol

I still hold out for a Zelda where Zelda gets to fight more (and I ignore the CD-i games).

Just not enough female leads in general to choose from!

Like when all that stuff about male leads in movies not selling well.. it made me sad. I wanna see more female-centred action and hero flicks! Sucker Punch was not super great, but.. at least it had all the girls kicking butt in some way! :C

I never tried the Ariel hair flip thing, but I was pretty mesmerized by the movie! xD She also looked super pretty in her sparkly dress when daddy gave her legs at the very end.

ikkemenx

Devolution said:
I'm always having a discussion with someone how chicks in the vidya are either the damsel in distress or the tough bitch, and it wouldn't hurt to have a medium somewhere in there.

Tough bitches who have conveniently skimpy outfits.

Prax said:

I still hold out for a Zelda where Zelda gets to fight more (and I ignore the CD-i games).

Just not enough female leads in general to choose from!

Like when all that stuff about male leads in movies not selling well.. it made me sad. I wanna see more female-centred action and hero flicks! Sucker Punch was not super great, but.. at least it had all the girls kicking butt in some way! :C

I never tried the Ariel hair flip thing, but I was pretty mesmerized by the movie! xD She also looked super pretty in her sparkly dress when daddy gave her legs at the very end.

I want a Zelda game in which I can play as Sheik the whole time. That was some cool shit.

Prax said:
Yeah, I'd like a Zelda game where Zelda's the main character, too. Although that's mostly because I'm tired of people who aren't familiar with the series thinking Link is Zelda. Along those lines, I'd also like a Metroid game where you play as a Metroid.

ikkemenx

Prax said:

Seriously!

(Twilight Princess spoilers in the spoilertag)

Sucks when Zelda FINALLY DOES SOMETHING it involves her arrow (with the exception of Puppet Zelda). Like riding with Link was pretty cool and stuff but it sucks that the one thing she's trusted to do is sit in the back fire some arrows, which I suppose is better than nothing but still. I was hoping for some sort of Shiek-style involvement. I guess Midna was a nice addition though.

Satch

Banned
idk, shooting arrows is a pretty cool thing to do

takes great marks(wo)manship to be able to nail a target while riding on horseback

I think Zelda is a pretty great character. Even though she's a princess you have to rescue most of the time, I think she's a portrayed very well throughout the series. Especially Ocarina of Time.

Alyx is alright. So is Samus.

I can't think of too many games with female lead characters. I've never really played an game and felt I was playing the role of the character myself if that makes sense. They don't immerse me in such a way that I feel I relate to the character and what's happening on screen in a way that relates to being male or female. Nothing feels particularly girly about them. They just feel like male characters with female skins.

I still enjoy RPGs but I think part of the enjoyment guys get out of them is that they can imagine themselves being the main character.

If there was a Song of Ice and Fire game I would TOTALLY relate to Arya Stark.

Kisaya

cooljeanius said:
Yeah, I'd like a Zelda game where Zelda's the main character, too. Although that's mostly because I'm tired of people who aren't familiar with the series thinking Link is Zelda.

Hahaha that was me until I met people who played the games DX

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
That's why I like female characters like Elena and Chloe from Uncharted games, they aren't overtly sexy tough bitches but they can hold their own. I really disliked Bayonetta because there was just too much emphasis on in-your-face sexiness, oh and the numerous crotch, arse and boobie shots were just too much for me to sit through. I liked the gameplay a lot, just wish I could play the game as another character.

EDIT: Okay Elena and Chloe aren't really the lead characters in UC games but it wouldn't hurt to have a game where you could play as characters like Elena! I quite liked Nariko from Heavenly Sword, even though the game sucked.

ikkemenx

Satchwar said:
idk, shooting arrows is a pretty cool thing to do

takes great marks(wo)manship to be able to nail a target while riding on horseback

I suppose so. I guess I just personally find them to be a boring weapon to use and associate them with boring heroines (take Rosa in FF4 for example). It was also like the only thing she did.

Inanna said:
That's why I like female leads like Elena and Chloe from Uncharted games, they aren't overtly sexy tough bitches but they can hold their own. I really disliked Bayonetta because there was just too much emphasis on in-your-face sexiness, oh and the numerous crotch, arse and boobie shots were just too much for me to sit through. I liked the gameplay a lot, just wish I could play the game as another character.

For some reason Bayo didn't bother me all that much (although the ad campaign is something else entirely). I think it's because the guy did that cheesy stupid shit with a male lead first and it was just so over the top, it was riffing on itself at times. But I can see where people got annoyed just as easily.

Ducky_McGee said:
I gotta know.

Any other girls who watched Little Mermaid when they were kids.

Am I the only one who tried to do the hair flip thing after she trades her voice for legs and hits the surface of the water?

tumblr_lq1wmaab2F1qza0fjo1_500_thumb.jpg

I still do this. :3
Haha, I used to try this all the time but it never felt quite right.

Whatup girl-GAF? :D I'm so happy to find this thread. Most of my friends have been dudes thanks to my nerdy interests--even my nerdy girlfriends are more into sci-fi and Harry Potter and whatever than actually playing a lot of games. Now all my law school friends are chicks but none of them play games. I can't win ;_;

This is my first time posting from my phone, so I apologize in advance if this post is messed up.

Londa

Banned
Anyone want to list their favorite female game characters?

mines would be:

Seung Mina

SCIV_seong_mina_portrait.jpg

Samus

samus_1.jpg

Fran

ff12franuz0.jpg

Shiek

shiek_288x288.jpg

(and many more ^^)

Name your favs

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Devolution said:
I want a Zelda game in which I can play as Sheik the whole time. That was some cool shit.
I've been wanting this forever - but not necessarily Shiek. Just give me plain ol Zelda as the lead with a sword, bow-and-arrow, and some magic and I'd be fine with that.

H4p73.jpg

suzu

Favorite female game leads?

I liked Terra from FF6, and Chris from Suikoden 3. I also like Shepard from Mass Effect.

I didn't mind Bayonetta, because she is just so over the top ridiculous and hilarious to me.

Londa

Banned
wiggins022 said:
Ladies, if I'm 28 years old, is it super super creepy for me to make a pass at a 20 yr old?

Honestly.

FYI..

Stumpokapow said:
So, uh, I received some comments that the thread might be veering a little too much into guys coming in and Dear Abby-ing the girls to death. I'm not saying guys can't ask questions and they're certainly welcome to post, but this is a thread intended for girls so I might zap a few posts if the thread gets hijacked more :p

not if you are honest with your age before asking her out on a date. She is old enough to know what she wants by the age of 20.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a female character having sex appeal mind you. Not at all.

When I was 12-13 I loved LuLu and Rikku. I don't care much for FFX nowadays. :(

XiaNaphryz said:
I've been wanting this forever - but not necessarily Shiek. Just give me plain ol Zelda as the lead with a sword, bow-and-arrow, and some magic and I'd be fine with that.

H4p73.jpg

No offense to zelda or you but I've seen plenty of games in which a woman is in a dress with a sword. There was something immensely more unique about Sheik to me. Plus as a total tomboy I loved that look.

Ducky_McGee said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with a female character having sex appeal mind you. Not at all.

When I was 12-13 I loved LuLu and Rikku. I don't care much for FFX nowadays. :(

It's all about frequency to me. When it's the majority, and you see geared up men in games, and the women have their tits or mid-drift out, it's like really? Then I'll get the, it's just fiction bullshit from people, okay can the guy wear assless chaps for me then?

Londa

Banned
suzu said:

I liked Terra from FF6, and Chris from Suikoden 3. I also like Shepard from Mass Effect.

I didn't mind Bayonetta, because she is just so over the top ridiculous and hilarious to me.

I haven't been able to play FF6 yet. I hear its really good..

suzu said:

I'll see your Terra and raise you a Celes.

Celes is the best.

Mista Koo

Prax said:
What's with this turning into a "ask girls for advice about girls" thread? xD Dang it dudes, I am not sure I necessarily want to help you by bearing all our trade secrets!
But I just wanted to feel home with my weight obsession problems, probably the girliest part in me :(

Edit: Also my mother never allowed me to play with my sisters' Barbies, it was sexist since they played with my cars :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom