• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glitch in Destiny reveals DLC details and content is partially on Disc

Yeah and I'm not arguing there should have been more. I'm just saying we don't have any proof that something was finished and then removed for DLC.

I think there's a lot of signs at this point that something went wrong during development because the finished product does not match up with the time and resources Bungie had at their disposal. But that doesn't mean we have to make baseless claims.

I'm not making any facts here. I'm just saying this evidence that has come to light is what I thought when I played the game and further supports what I feared. For sure something happened in development which changed things. But every single area on the map is playable, apart from the reef...

It was either put there because there were missions there that were cut out or put there to make the map look bigger and not so empty. Both of those aren't exactly ideal scenarios. I honestly can't think of any other reasons why they would make an area called the reef to travel there for a cutscene. There could of been a cutscene straight after the mission before it.

Hawk269

You know. I'm ok with that. I personally would rather see them flesh out the planets they do have before moving on to others. I'm all for adding more content to the areas they have and then even going back to cut areas and adding them back. Imagine adding Old Chicago in via an expansion along with another location on say mars or venus, etc. Then the 2nd game you could add a couple new planets with maybe a couple locations.

That is my point. Flesh out the current planets, just not more of the same areas of the same planets. That is the real issue as far as content, they are not fleshing out the current planets by adding more locations to each planet.

Well I actually remember the plot in Destiny, so I can't say "things don't happen". But yeah things are explained in that version.

Ok, things happen. But there is no over-arching plot. The last boss had nothing to do with the start of the game, or for basically half of the whole game.

You can literally skip Destiny and start the expansion pack or second game knowing just as much as if you played it.

I wish they had gone with their original story:

zjEq7Au.jpg

Eh... I actually prefer the traveler as a good guy (and the game already pretty much imply that is connected directly to the Darkness in some way) because even it that summary the poster comments of how cliche that also was...

sense

Well technically according to leaked documents the game was supposed to come out last year with the first expansion comet releasing this year. i know a lot has changed with those documents but it is interesting that the expansions are releasing this year itself and I am sure they were working on it alongside the main game and so some of it is visible on the disc. So next year is destiny 2 with expansion the following year or they take a year off and do the same thing in 2016 which is destiny 2 with expansion in December. I guess they could release additional dlc in 2015 as well but it will be interesting to see how they go forward

The stories revolving around the content cut out of this game are much much more interesting than the story of the game itself.

Ark

Kinda wishing I didn't activate my expansion pass. Oh well. Bring on the expansions I guess.

Stupid hype.

The stories revolving around the cut content of this game is much much more interesting than the story of the game itself.

The unfortunate truth.

Netprints

Well I am glad I didn't stick around for the dlc. I don't know what Bungie was thinking by doing this stuff. The vision and what they showed us at 2013 E3 changed so much.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
You know. if that is true and that's a big if it actually sounds kind of interesting. Hell who's to say the game still might not be headed that way if it were?

Either way I can't wait to find out more in the future.
maybe we'll find out in expansion pack number xxxx .

Figments

How is this Activision's fault?

I know it's cool to blame them for most things (and they usually do deserve some of the blame), but everything Destiny should be placed solely at Bungie's door.

I'm gonna regret saying this, but the blame is on both parties. How do we know that Activision didn't tell Bungie to withhold content? After all, they're the one's selling the DLC. It's equally Bungie's blame because, if the former is true, then they just let Acti walk all over them.

Or, more realistically, this was all negotiated in the Destiny contract which none of us have any grand idea about.

Monocle

Oh Bunglez. I hope 343 learn as much as they possibly can from Destiny's troubles, and put those lessons to good use in their upcoming games. The climate could hardly be more favorable for reviving Halo. 343 could literally copy the strongest aspects of the original Halo trilogy, cut out the COD bullshit that Halo 4 flirted with, and FPS fans would throw themselves at their feet.

DNAbro

Well technically according to leaked documents the game was supposed to come out last year with the first expansion comet releasing this year. i know a lot has changed with those documents but it is interesting that the expansions are releasing this year itself and I am sure they were working on it alongside the main game and so some of it is visible on the disc. So next year is destiny 2 with expansion the following year or they take a year off and do the same thing in 2016 which is destiny 2 with expansion in December. I guess they could release additional dlc in 2015 as well but it will be interesting to see how they go forward

that's probably not how it's going to work out. Don't expect Destiny 2 next year.

Ken

While the PVP is adequate it's significantly worse than Halo by far.

Which is baffling. If Destiny was by a new studio I probably wouldn't be so harsh on it but it's like Bungie didn't want to bring in any of their experiences making Halo MP into this.

SerTapTap

that's probably not how it's going to work out. Don't expect Destiny 2 next year.

Hasn't the general assumption been 2016 for Destiny 2? Not sure what that's based on but it's what I recall and a quick google shows lots of people making such a statement

Mockerre

The Level 10 strike really puts the nail in the coffin. Whether they were cut due to greed or time constraints, it's obvious that they were CUT at some point.

Yup. You can really see how the Dark Below follows from the Dark Within and is a link between the Hive missions on Earth and the Moon (culminating in the raid against Crota) and the House of Wolves ties into the middle of the game, with the Reef and the random missions against the Fallen on Venus (Winter's Run and Scourge of Winter).

As the Vex story is the most coherent, and the 2 expansions flesh out the side stories of the Hive and the Fallen, that leaves only the Cabal in an awkward position of 'just being there' ;)

You know. if that is true and that's a big if it actually sounds kind of interesting. Hell who's to say the game still might not be headed that way if it were?

Either way I can't wait to find out more in the future.

Well, that the Traveler and the Darkness are connected/TheSame is pretty much implied in the Moon and Black Garden Mission. But I don't exactly like the idea that the Traveler is actually malicious...

Killer

Banned
Bungie has pretty much lost me after Destiny. WTF is this!!!. On disc DLC? Like there's enough content on the disc to lock some of them as DLC?

I can't believe this is coming from Bungie. They fell really hard.

DNAbro

Hasn't the general assumption been 2016 for Destiny 2? Not sure what that's based on but it's what I recall and a quick google shows lots of people making such a statement

The contract says that a new mainline game is coming every 2 years with a "comet" expansion in between each year. We don't know if this DLC transformed into the comet expansion or if there is a bigger and more significant one coming next year.

BigDug13

Which is baffling. If Destiny was by a new studio I probably wouldn't be so harsh on it but it's like Bungie didn't want to bring in any of their experiences making Halo MP into this.

That's really the bottom line and what the defenders don't get. We're not hating on the game alone, we're disappointed in what Bungie produced after 5 years of development. This is a studio with incredible pedigree and after 5 years, this game was simply not good enough.

Nimby

Banned
This is great, in an ironic funny way of course. They were going to try to hype up these expansions when they are literally just new missions in the same locations and gear. Where's Mercury? Why can't I explore other areas of the other planets?

noobasuar

Banned
Doesn't even seem to be substantial DLC considering the price they are charging for it.

Why can't more companies be like Nintendo and charge like $12 for new content that's practically half the base game?

sense

Knowing activision they would wanna have something destiny at retail next year. I guess it could be some new expansion with all dlc released earlier in the year

Hawk269

Oh Bunglez. I hope 343 learn as much as they possibly can from Destiny's troubles, and put those lessons to good use in their upcoming games. The climate could hardly be more favorable for reviving Halo. 343 could literally copy the strongest aspects of the original Halo trilogy, cut out the COD bullshit that Halo 4 flirted with, and FPS fans would throw themselves at their feet.

Your post just makes me fantasize about a Destiny type of game but in the Halo universe and not all the fuck-ups that Bungie/Activision has made. Just not sure how they would make the different classes to make it customizable etc.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Are people overreacting over something Destiny-related again?

Yes, this DLC was planned well in advance, but it is not 'on the disk', nor was it 'cut' from the initial Destiny release, unless evidence arises to prove otherwise. There's bits and pieces on the disc - hooks for future DLC -, yes, and some areas have obviously been designed to allow access to future planned content, but nothing points to this content having been in such a state that it could have been implemented in the game at launch.

Was this content planned? Yes, without a doubt. Was this content finished before release but held back just to get more of our money? Highly unlikely.

Am I disappointed that this content wasn't available at launch? Sure, a little bit. Does that warrant hatred towards Bungie and accusations of cutting content and being a horrible studio? No.

Marcel

That's really the bottom line and what the defenders don't get. We're not hating on the game alone, we're disappointed in what Bungie produced after 5 years of development. This is a studio with incredible pedigree and after 5 years, this game was simply not good enough.

They're veterans in the industry with 20+ years in the business and what was once a solid braintrust. It's a bit shocking that they let a half-baked game like this either reach market or get pushed out the door. The staff should be embarrassed by the story alone.

Are people overreacting over something Destiny-related again?

Yes, this DLC was planned well in advance, but it is not 'on the disk', nor was it 'cut' from the initial Destiny release, unless evidence arises to prove otherwise. There's bits and pieces on the disc - hooks for future DLC -, yes, and some areas have obviously been designed to allow access to future planned content, but nothing points to this content having been in such a state that it could have been implemented in the game at launch.

Was this content planned? Yes, without a doubt. Was this content finished before release but held back just to get more of our money? Highly unlikely.

Am I disappointed that this content wasn't available at launch? Sure, a little bit. Does that warrant hatred towards Bungie and accusations of cutting content and being a horrible studio? No.

Pretty much. It's pretty obvious, even when you "glitch" into these areas, they're unfinished, and they're definitely not in a playable state.

I wish they had gone with their original story:

zjEq7Au.jpg

Very cliche and full of plot holes.

Why would the traveler keep a small portion of humans under it ? What technologies could possibly interess it when you look at hive/vex/cabal/fallen already ?

Totally out of subject considering the traveler as source of light and god like figure really. But it would have been interesting. At least all area were designed around that purposed and now we have gorgeous but empty meaning levels

Sirim

Will they release different solar systems within the 10 years they plan on keeping us around?
Yes, with one new explorable planet that you warp directly to so you won't even notice it's a different system.

I'm sure the Ghost will mention it though during the loading screen.

Pop

Doesn't even seem to be substantial DLC considering the price they are charging for it.

Why can't more companies be like Nintendo and charge like $12 for new content that's practically half the base game?

How can you tell what's coming in the next DLC? A video with new locations isn't evident of all content.

REV 09

Doesn't seem like the dlc is going to turn things around for my feelings on Destiny. Just seems more of the same. I sure hope they can learn some lessons and make a better product for the sequel. My copy will be going towards Forza Horizon 2 on Tuesday. GameStop is still giving $40 for it.

Marcel

Why would the traveler keep a small portion of humans under it ? What technologies could possibly interess it when you look at hive/vex/cabal/fallen already ?

Totally out of subject considering the traveler as source of light and god like figure really. But it would have been interesting. At least all area were designed around that purposed and now we have gorgeous but empty meaning levels

A cliche video game story vs. no story (pardon our dust story under construction please see bungie.net).

cilonen

I preferred the timeline that's in some of the grimoire stuff which points at Rasputin, the war AI going rampant and deciding the only way to save mankind was to wipe it out and triggering the collapse of the golden age.

Exploring that and how it ties in to where the world is when you get brought into it could have been awesome.

Top Bottom