• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War 3 Has Gone Gold - Lots of Reviews Out Already

RefigeKru said:
Game looks completely amazing, has got excellent reviews, and people are bitching about Alan Wake getting some props for actually looking fucking beautiful too.

What's the problem, and why has it seeped into this thread?

I agree. It's like "hey this game has a 94 out of 100 on metacritic, but we can't enjoy it for what is, it needs to be better than other unreleased games"

Kittonwy said:
They added self-shadowing to the cyclops in the final version!

Kitton iz teh win.
Indifferent2.gif

0_0

The Kitton has no hat.

LordPhoque said:
I agree. It's like "hey this game has a 94 out of 100 on metacritic, but we can't enjoy it for what is, it needs to be better than other unreleased games"
Who the fuck is saying that? Read the past few pages instead of shooting in the dark here. Jeez.

Amir0x

Banned
God the hype for God of War III is so astronomical I almost want to buy that shitty Dante's Inferno just to tide me over.

RefigeKru

Banned
Amir0x said:
God the hype for God of War III is so astronomical I almost want to buy that shitty Dante's Inferno just to tide me over.

At least you have the choice. I had to sell my PS3 a few months back to pay for, well, food. :(

I'll only get to play this on my friend's/brother's PS3.

Amir0x

Banned
RefigeKru said:
At least you have the choice. I had to sell my PS3 a few months back to pay for, well, food. :(

Damn son.... sorry to hear that. Now I feel like a dick. :(

God of War III is one of the reasons I purchased a PS3 besides Metal Gear Solid 4 (FUCK YOU KOJIMA), Last Guardian and Gran Turismo 5 (never gonna come out, is it?). It feels like a coronation for the platform. I CANNOT WAIT.

I played the demo of Dante's Inferno and it was like "this is... i guess... sorta kinda a substitute for GoW while I wait?" All trying to convince myself!

Wow this game looks just like God of War!
Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two, but this really doesn't look like I should spend 60 bucks on to get like 7ish hours of gameplay.

Truespeed

I blame GTA IV for the absence of perfect scores across the table for God of War 3. The euphoria surrounding the release of this game masked the many mistakes it had. Yet the trance induced 'reviewers' still gave it a perfect score because, well, it was GTA in HD. Metacritic has a score of 98 for GTA IV, yet the users have rated it at 7.4 - that's a pretty big disparity. So why aren't we seeing perfect scores? Perhaps some of these gun shy reviewers are afraid of giving it up one more time to avoid another scenario that questioned their legitimacy, transparency and objectivity? I'm sure they'll find reasons to avoid the perfect score such as - no online play, no co-op, can't skip cut scenes, gratuitous violence or how it didn't push the genre far enough.

A perfect score should not only be based on the quality of the game being reviewed, but it should also be compared, within context, to the other games that the site has awarded a perfect score to.

AvidNobody said:
Don't get me wrong, I loved the first two, but this really doesn't look like I should spend 60 bucks on to get like 7ish hours of gameplay.
You shouldn't. It's not for you. Move on.

Dogenzaka said:
Because it's still the best damn graphical presentation on consoles to date.

Well, have you played through the whole game? Are some aspects noticeably less impressive than others? If they are, I can see how a less than perfect score could be justified.

If you're talking IGN specifically, then yeah with graphics scores they've made some really ludicrous judgements (GTAIV, MW2 etc) but I'd argue they make similar bad judgements in other areas as well...

AvidNobody said:

You wanted it to look like Call of Duty? No really, I don't get your point. What do you want it to look like?

AvidNobody said:
Which is why I came into this thread. I wanted to find something that may convince me otherwise... Is there?

AvidNobody indeed. No one can convince you to buy the game. If the trailers and gameplay videos and the demo didn't do no good, then there is no point in convincing you. In a meanwhile, I'll patiently wait till March 16th for the best singleplayer experience of this year.

Cruzader

Banned
AvidNobody said:
Hey look, Dogen's alt account.

RefigeKru

Banned
Amir0x said:
Damn son.... sorry to hear that. Now I feel like a dick. :(

God of War III is one of the reasons I purchased a PS3 besides Metal Gear Solid 4 (FUCK YOU KOJIMA), Last Guardian and Gran Turismo 5 (never gonna come out, is it?). It feels like a coronation for the platform. I CANNOT WAIT.

Nah, s'alright. Was probably for the best since I'm actually doing really well with my studies now and I'm not as introverted
(Wasn't the PS3's fault, but it helped a little)
. :lol

But yeah, this year has really been excellent so far. And God of War 3, urgh, I've been having the same conversation about that german video with my friend for a few days now, it's basically just "OMGOMGOMGHYPELOLKRATOSYOUBASTARDOMGOMG" for an hour straight. First time in a while I've been so hyped for a game.

AvidNobody said:
Which is why I came into this thread. I wanted to find something that may convince me otherwise... Is there?
Unprecedented epic scale and graphics. Same awesome GOW gameplay. Conclusion to a great series. More brutal than ever. Etc.

Shurs

Truespeed said:
I blame GTA IV for the absence of perfect scores across the table for God of War 3.

GTA IV didn't stop critics from gushing over Uncharted 2, and more recently, Mass Effect 2.

AvidNobody said:
You said you loved the first two games...why would you need convincing for the 3rd, when its clocked at a longer play time than the first one?
Edit: In fact, why would you need convincing at all for the 3rd if you liked the first two?

RustyNails said:
You said you loved the first two games...why would you need convincing for the 3rd, when its clocked at a longer play time than the first one?
Edit: In fact, why would you need convincing at all for the 3rd if you liked the first two?

I'm just not sure if this is worth getting day one.

Poimandres said:
Well, have you played through the whole game? Are some aspects noticeably less impressive than others? If they are, I can see how a less than perfect score could be justified.

Well yeah, but considering all the jizzing over it by the reviewers themselves it's pretty weird when they give it a lower than something they didn't seem as impressed with.

Dogenzaka said:
lol

Adam Sessler reported 12+ hours of play so I'm really not too worried about game length anymore.

Seriously. The first two GoW games could easily be beaten in under 10 hours so i don't know what the fuss is all about.

RavenFox said:
WHERE CAN I GET THE KRATOS STATUE IN THE AD???? It's on top of the PS3. Santa Monica answer meeee
Looks like it's the one I have on my bookshelf :D . Terry Smith, who did a lot of work on Kratos, and was our art director for a while, had them made as gifts for the team on the original God of War. A handful were given away as prizes at various times. There's probably only a 100 of them at that size, and I think a couple of large ones, which are twice that size.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I guarantee you Last Guardian is coming out this winter/fall, and that and GoW3 alone are my GOTYs. After seeing how much the graphics changed from the 2008 TLG trailer to the E3 2009 TLG trailer, I'm anxious to see what will have happened in the year gap from 2009 to 2010.

grumble

AvidNobody said:
I'm just not sure if this is worth getting day one.

Then don't get it day one. Make a decision. By all accounts, it's a very good game. If it's not to your tastes, don't get it day one. If you only want to pay 60 bucks for longer games, then do so. Vote with your wallet.

As for me, I'm buying this game. It looks wicked.

grumble

Dogenzaka said:
I guarantee you Last Guardian is coming out this winter/fall, and that and GoW3 alone are my GOTYs. After seeing how much the graphics changed from the 2008 TLG trailer to the E3 2009 TLG trailer, I'm anxious to see what will have happened in the year gap from 2009 to 2010.

How can you say that two unreleased games you haven't played yet are your GOTYs? Isn't that a little premature?

IAMBEEFLESS said:
Seriously. The first two GoW games could easily be beaten in under 10 hours so i don't know what the fuss is all about.

Not to mention the fact that every GOW game has various completion time stories, especially on GAF.

Dogenzaka

Banned
grumble said:
How can you say that two unreleased games you haven't played yet are your GOTYs? Isn't that a little premature?

Extremely premature, actually. Though I suppose I better meant "most anticipated".

But considering the GoW Collection and Shadow of the Colossus are among my favorite games, I'm not too shy into placing those bets.

RavenFox

Banned
Phil Wilkins said:
Looks like it's the one I have on my bookshelf :D . Terry Smith, who did a lot of work on Kratos, and was our art director for a while, had them made as gifts for the team on the original God of War. A handful were given away as prizes at various times. There's probably only a 100 of them at that size, and I think a couple of large ones, which are twice that size.
Phil please I would do anything for one man I'll s*** **** ****:lol . Are they just for you wonderful industry guys?

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:

Don't, that would be like getting excited for your steak dinner so to tie you over you would eat cow poop, even though both come from a cow, they're not the same thing.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
RefigeKru said:

Couldn't you sell some blood instead?
angry.gif

Monocle

Kittonwy said:
Don't, that would be like getting excited for your steak dinner so to tie you over you would eat cow poop, even though both come from a cow, they're not the same thing.
Indifferent2.gif
n1aucn.jpg

Seriously, very good.
:D

Top Bottom