• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Ricky_R

One of my concerns is, who the hell are we going to fight? All of the gods and heroes were killed in the other games, so we can't kill them now. And if we're not fighting Gods or iconic heroes, how could the fights live up the epic standards of the series?

This is why moving on to Norse or Egyptian mythology just makes so much more sense. There's nobody left to kill in the Greek setting.

They will take some more liberties with the design and story.

KingK

They'll find something. Plus its a prequel/interquel

I know it's a prequel, but they can't rightly have us kill a bunch of Gods and heroes like Poseidon and Perseus in this game when they are alive and ready to be killed in the latter games.

All that's really left are some B-list gods that nobody knows about.

Kinyou

I know it's a prequel, but they can't rightly have us kill a bunch of Gods and heroes like Poseidon and Perseus in this game when they are alive and ready to be killed in the latter games.

All that's really left are some B-list gods that nobody knows about.
What actually bothered me in God Of War 3 is that Kratos
never killed Aphrodite. So technically there was still a greek god left

Gsak

What actually bothered me in God Of War 3 is that Kratos
never killed Aphrodite. So technically there was still a greek god left

He still "stabbed" her. ;) And
he had no reason to kill her. He does mention that he will kill a god, only if he stands in his way

I didn't find it to be any shorter than the previous games and/or other games in the genre.

The only truly unforgivable aspects of GoW3 to me were Pandora's character and the ending. Other than that, I loved the whole thing.

It was significantly shorter. I can see that on my save times. Also: too few environments.

Kinyou

He still "stabbed" her. ;)
highfivefail2mro32.gif

And
he had no reason to kill her. He does mention that he will kill a god, only if he stands in his way
Ah, I remember

The Cestus is the best alternate weapon in the series by far. Soo good. I would really like to have a Spartan spear and shield for this new game (I know it was in Ghost of Sparta, but that's the only game I haven't played yet).

Also, regarding God of War 3, I've been stuck on my hard playthrough for months at the part right after the box labyrinth where you go back to Hades and immediately have to fight the Cerberus and 3 goat guys. I remember this being the hardest fight in the game my first time through, and it seems impossible on hard lol.

:bow Nemean Cestus :bow2

As for the part you are stuck on (on Hard, not on Chaos?): you have to play it smart. [There are 2 goat guys BTW, not 3.]

You need to weaken the Cerberus 3 times.

First phase: just roll around and beat him with Cestus when you are close to him. You should not get hit once, it's ok if he hits you once. Don't bother with the small dogs, concentrate on him. DO NOT USE MAGIC AT ALL.

Second phase: go all out with your magic attacks (Army of Sparta) BUT DO NOT TRIGGER Rage of Titans. You should quickly get to the second "O" above its head.

Third phase (goat guys): immediately use Rage of Titans and CONCENTRATE on Cerberus. After you kill him you have to deal with 2 Goat guys - be smart, slow and very conservative with your attacks. Concentrate on one goat dude first. You probably won't have any magic and RotT left so it's only you and your Cestus.

I did it on my 2nd try on Hard using only Cestus + Army of Sparta (quick swap) + Rage of the Titans. And let me tell you that the fucking Scorpion on Hard killed me more than 10 times...

Considering what SSM achieved with GOW3 when they were splitting their time between building a whole new engine, figuring out the feasibility of fights on Titans and bringing the series to a relative finish I can't even fathom what they will put together with all their talents allowed to focus first and foremost on gameplay.

Endo Punk

Considering what SSM achieved with GOW3 when they were splitting their time between building a whole new engine, figuring out the feasibility of fights on Titans and bringing the series to a relative finish I can't even fathom what they will put together with all their talents allowed to focus first and foremost on gameplay.

That alone has me excited, it's going to be overkill when I see an actual ingame trailer and gameplay.

Meh... Seems like a safe and boring setup..

Kind of like halo reach
or it could be an amazing prequel to breath new life into the series like MGS3/DMC3.

Nizz

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but apparently they're saying here 4/30/13 is the proposed release date.

http://translate.google.de/translat...ell-angekundigt-release-weitere-kleine-infos/
Fuck, I was kind of hoping it would be this Fall. What else does Sony first party have coming this Fall? The Last Of Us, the jury's still out if it will hit this Fall. They've been reluctant to announce a release date, and I thought I read somewhere it could be an early 2013 release.

I thought I heard that Ghost of Sparta (the second PSP one), was suppose to be going down to download.

I checked yesterday but it was still $30 or so. Does anyone know if this discount is eventually going to come to the US store?

g23

European pre-madonna
U guys talk about going in the direction of Norse gods, but how about kratos going after Egyptian deities? I wanna fight Anubis and Osiris.

Endo Punk

Fuck, I was kind of hoping it would be this Fall. What else does Sony first party have coming this Fall? The Last Of Us, the jury's still out if it will hit this Fall. They've been reluctant to announce a release date, and I thought I read somewhere it could be an early 2013 release.

You didn't hear it from me but Sony Smash Bros for Q4 2012 :D

Tentacles around the pillars? It's coming back to me now. I really should buck up and get the HD collection of the first two, my memories of them are getting hazy.

KingK

U guys talk about going in the direction of Norse gods, but how about kratos going after Egyptian deities? I wanna fight Anubis and Osiris.

Egyptian gods would be good too, but I prefer cold, snowy environments offered by Scandanavia to north African deserts. Plus I really want to see a Viking themed Kratos with dual axes as weapons or some shit.

Both would get me excited though, and I expect them to use both with the franchise eventually. (New trilogy on PS4 with one, and then another on PS5 with the other).

Sly Cooper 4 is scheduled for a Fall release.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Sony, are you listening?

Lovecraft's stories should be in the public domain by now, at least some of them, so there wouldn't be any royalties. Sony, you know what to do. Kratos kills off the Old Ones, and go to the centre of the universe to kill Azathoth at the end of the game.

But he knew how to get the chicks, which his cool styles and jive talk.

Nah, Nyarlathotep was actually the ladies man among them :lol He would walk the earth in the guise of a tall, swarthy man, working as an agent for the Old Ones.

Combichristoffersen

Fuck movie studios for cancelling Del Toro and Cameron's In the Mountains of Madness flick. :(

I would've loved a big budget Lovecraft movie, but I've never been a huge fan of AtMoM, to be honest. Something like the Dunwich Horror or Shadow over Innsmouth would've been nice (and yeah, I've seen Dagon and it was.. yeah, no).

In the Mouth of Madness is one of the better Lovecraftian flicks I've seen, actually.

I would've loved a big budget Lovecraft movie, but I've never been a huge fan of AtMoM, to be honest. Something like the Dunwich Horror or Shadow over Innsmouth would've been nice (and yeah, I've seen Dagon and it was.. yeah, no).

In the Mouth of Madness is one of the better Lovecraftian flicks I've seen, actually.

DO YOU READ SUTTER KANE!?!?!?

Gsak

Lovecraft's stories should be in the public domain by now, at least some of them, so there wouldn't be any royalties. Sony, you know what to do. Kratos kills off the Old Ones, and go to the centre of the universe to kill Azathoth at the end of the game.

Nah, Nyarlathotep was actually the ladies man among them :lol He would walk the earth in the guise of a tall, swarthy man, working as an agent for the Old Ones.

Actually, that's true only for the stories that were written up to 1923. After that I think Chaosium owns the rights. And possibly Arkham House if it still exists.

Combichristoffersen

DO YOU READ SUTTER KANE!?!?!?

Sam Neill was boss in that movie.

Actually, that's true only for the stories that were written up to 1923. After that I think Chaosium owns the rights. And possibly Arkham House if it still exists.

I checked, and you're right. Stories published pre-1923 are public domain. There seems to be some controversy about the post-1923 stories and copyright though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Copyright
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110531/02515814477/confusing-case-lovecrafts-copyrights.shtml

SmithnCo

Lovecraft would be pretty weird. It's not a "mythology" like Greek that people actually believed in and had cultures built around it. Plus it's fairly recent and not something that's ingrained into the public.

Give me Egyptian.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's interesting that they've choose to do a prequel, makes me think that GOW4 maybe.....maybe a early PS4 title

Cyberia

Stig is still working at SSM. Confirmed by Todd.

I'm pretty sure the GoW-team split into teams like Naughty Dog did after Uncharted 2. They mentioned numerous times that they really want to work on a whole different project.

Was just taking a cursory look at N4G and God of War is dominating the first page, with Kratos plastered all over the front page and 7 of the top 11 hottest news stories related to the franchise in one way or another. I've never seen the top 3 most popular news stories on N4G all with the same header image before lol.

Shtof

Was just taking a cursory look at N4G and God of War is dominating the first page, with Kratos plastered all over the front page and 7 of the top 11 hottest news stories related to the franchise in one way or another. I've never seen the top 3 most popular news stories on N4G all with the same header image before lol.

That's nothing, Killzone 3 had all 5 headers the day it was revealed.

Stig is still working at SSM. Confirmed by Todd.

I'm pretty sure the GoW-team split into teams like Naughty Dog did after Uncharted 2. They mentioned numerous times that they really want to work on a whole different project.

I hope so. A new IP and GOW4 from SSM for PS4 would be amazing.

Top Bottom