• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Was just taking a cursory look at N4G and God of War is dominating the first page, with Kratos plastered all over the front page and 7 of the top 11 hottest news stories related to the franchise in one way or another. I've never seen the top 3 most popular news stories on N4G all with the same header image before lol.

It's the biggest and best selling PS3 exclusive franchise (better sales than Uncharted, Killzone). There's nothing to be surprised at.

Actually it is also the best looking PS3 franchise... and to think all of that without any Multiplayer!

Globox_82

Banned
I just read that release date is 2013!? What? If both TLOU and This end in 2013 then what does Sony have for fall? Sly4?! LOL love Sly but not the biggest IP out there.

I just read that release date is 2013!? What? If both TLOU and This end in 2013 then what does Sony have for fall? Sly4?! LOL love Sly but not the biggest IP out there.

TLoU will probably be released this year. It's been in development for over two years (which is longer than U2 and U3) and they've never denied that it would be released this year. They seem to just be playing it safe to make sure that they aren't going to have to rush the development to make a date that they made public.

Drek

I'd imagine they'll unveil the PS4 at E3 2013 anyhow. Then you let the second tier franchises and 3rd parties float the year or so until PS4 comes out in 2014. Then you launch with Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 6, SM's new IP, etc. with God of War 4 and a follow up from the studio making The Last of Us for the one year anniversary or so.

If Sony plays their cards right they could have their 1st party teams set up one hell of a 12 month firestorm whenever the PS4 is released.

Shtof

Anything they put out except maybe TLG will get slaughtered by third party competitors this fall anyway. PS3 will keep selling well in Europe and Japan, but there is little Sony can do this late in the generation to shake Microsofts iron grip over USA and UK. They better focus their strength on the PS4 and create a tempting launch lineup.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just finished watching that vid. It was really great hearing Barlog's and Jaffe's ideas on how they would've finished the franchise, the beginnings of Kratos as a character among other things. Apparently GOW2 was _really_ close to being a PS3 game(everyone on the team wanted that), but Yoshida "convinced" everyone to make it on PS2.

Man Jaffe's idea on how to end the trilogy is so great and bad ass. I wish they would have went that route.

I'd imagine they'll unveil the PS4 at E3 2013 anyhow. Then you let the second tier franchises and 3rd parties float the year or so until PS4 comes out in 2014. Then you launch with Uncharted 4, Gran Turismo 6, SM's new IP, etc. with God of War 4 and a follow up from the studio making The Last of Us for the one year anniversary or so.

If Sony plays their cards right they could have their 1st party teams set up one hell of a 12 month firestorm whenever the PS4 is released.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would end well for Sony. If they released this plethora of games in the first year of the PS4's existence who would support every single game? Especially, judging by the PS3's start, if the console itself costs a small fortune. If Sony makes that mistake again, it's incredibly risky to launch that many 1st party titles in one year. Hell, they could end up sinking the company completely.

ReaperXL7

SSM posted today or maybe just updated, job offers on Gamasutra. Three senior positions, combat, concept artist, environment artist
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/JobSeekerX/ViewAccountProfile.asp?AccountNo=345&CPID=2928&#Profile2928

For unannounced new IP . No platform listed.

there were also all those rumors awhile back about SSM hiring for people with open world game experience. So i'm guessing that would either have to be for Ascension, a proper God of War 4, or their new IP.

An open world setting could be fantastic for Ascension if they were going for a setting in which Kratos was still a Spartan Captian and going to War. I'd love to see what SSM could do with an open world game honestly.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I agree, Jaffe's idea although cool on paper was complete nonsense to be honest. Barlog's was mostly realized in GOW3, with Athena ascending to a higher plane of existence and everything.

You're crazy. Jaffe's idea is the best idea if the director wanted to be forward thinking for the franchise. It all couldn't have been done in one game, but they wouldn't be having these problems with considering should they make a prequel or not.

It leaves more to be fleshed out.

You're crazy. Jaffe's idea is the best idea if the director wanted to be forward thinking for the franchise. It all couldn't have been done in one game, but they wouldn't be having these problems with considering should they make a prequel or not.

It leaves more to be fleshed out.

lol what problems?

Drek

Unfortunately, I don't think that would end well for Sony. If they released this plethora of games in the first year of the PS4's existence who would support every single game? Especially, judging by the PS3's start, if the console itself costs a small fortune. If Sony makes that mistake again, it's incredibly risky to launch that many 1st party titles in one year. Hell, they could end up sinking the company completely.

If Sony charges that much for a console again they're fucked anyhow. But that price was largely to subsidize blu-ray and to put what was at the time quite large HDDs in every system.

A $300-$350 system with cutting edge tech, blu-ray, and a modest (~100GB) HDD as standard with bigger HDD upgrades sold separately is a very viable price point.

Obviously Sony would need to space the releases well. Two or maybe three big games at launch, then a big game every 3-4 months going forward. Just like Nintendo does. That way people who own a Playstation know they have a great Sony game at their disposal every quarter. This is how Nintendo dominates their software market and makes bank regardless of if the system itself sells well. They know that every quarter they're dropping a million seller first party title and their fans know it, so their fans are there day one and committed. Sony needs to learn from that model and leverage all the talent and IPs they've acquired.

Gsak

Guys. The game is a prequel for a very simple reason.
God Of War IV will start a new trilogy.
And, of course, they want said new GOW trilogy for the PS4.

i-Lo

A $300-$350 system with cutting edge tech, blu-ray, and a modest (~100GB) HDD as standard with bigger HDD upgrades sold separately is a very viable price point.

Off topic: So $250 for a portable and what $50 more over that for a full next gen hardware? My my, some people's expectations for performance and what they think should be paid for it simply sometimes blows my mind. I don't know if people are expecting Sony to take around $200 loss per console sold, because that ain't going to happen.

The next gen prices will be within the range of $400 to $500 tops (if Sony indeed doesn't skimp out on tech, which I think they won't). Even with that I expect them to either take a small loss on each unit sold at launch or break even.

On topic: Darn, I thought it was going to be a Vita title if was going to have subtitle instead of a number. It'll be great to see what SSM do wonderful stuff with that engine again. That said, I really hope for a less shouty Kratos this time around with a better storyline. I hope the tale of Deimos comes to light.

Does anyone have a chronological order in which to place all the GoWs incl. this one?

Gsak

Off topic: So $250 for a portable and what $50 more over that for a full next gen hardware? My my, some people's expectations for performance and what they think should be paid for it simply sometimes blows my mind. I don't know if people are expecting Sony to take around $200 loss per console sold.

The next gen prices will be within the range of $400 to $500 tops (if Sony indeed doesn't skimp out on tech, which I think they won't). Even with that I expect them to either take a small loss on each unit sold at launch or break even.

On topic: Darn, I thought it was going to be a Vita title if was going to have subtitle instead of a number. It'll be great to see what SSM do wonderful stuff with that engine again. That said, I really hope for a less shouty Kratos this time around with a better storyline. I hope the tale of Deimos comes to light.

Does anyone have a chronological order in which to place all the GoWs incl. this one?

He was pretty calm for the most part in GOW 3. At least, nothing like he was in 1 & 2

From first to last in the timeline:

GOW: A
GOW: CoO
GOW 1
GOW GoS
GOW: Betrayal
GOW 2
GOW 3

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
SSM posted today or maybe just updated, job offers on Gamasutra. Three senior positions, combat, concept artist, environment artist
http://jobs.gamasutra.com/JobSeekerX/ViewAccountProfile.asp?AccountNo=345&CPID=2928&#Profile2928

For unannounced new IP . No platform listed.

I'm going to make this a new thread because I had assumed it was StarHawk, but if they say it's still unannounced, that means they're making another first/third person shooter with vehicles.

Thanks for noticing they put this back up.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
In the game Kratos is
already the new God Of War

Edit: It confirms it in the wiki actually:
http://godofwar.wikia.com/wiki/God_of_War:_Betrayal

I know, as both GoS and Betrayal happen after the original GoW, but it's not really specified which one of them happens first. Read the Wiki text again, it doesn't specify whether Betrayal happens before GoS or vice versa :p

Chronologically, it takes place after God of War, although it was mistakenly reported that it followed God of War II. Recently, God of War: Ghost of Sparta was announced for the PlayStation Portable, which equally takes place after God of War.

i-Lo

He was pretty calm for the most part in GOW 3. At least, nothing like he was in 1 & 2

From first to last in the timeline:

GOW: A
GOW: CoO
GOW 1
GOW GoS
GOW: Betrayal
GOW 2
GOW 3

Thanks. I think I need to play CoO at least.

Kantor48

Neo Member
I can't imagine anything hugely exciting happened before Kratos entered Ares' service.

But God of War is God of War, so I guess I'm excited.

Combichristoffersen

Mein Deutsch bist krank, but it doesn't really say anything new, just that Sony has officially acknowledged the game existing, the game will shed light on how the series began, Kratos searching for freedom, release and revenge for his family (I presume they mean revenge for what happened to his family). The release is planned exclusively for PS3 in 2013, and April 30th will be the first official unveiling in the planned live stream. Something about 3D support and multiplayer too, but I think that part just means they won't know about those things until the live stream.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A release is planned for spring 2013 exclusively on PlayStation 3. In a multiplayer 3D support, or is dispensed with, unfortunately, but it is on 30 April first official presentation of the title in a live stream type.

quick google translation

I google searched for the info in English and based on other sites, they're saying no details are out yet, but it's releasing Spring 2013 and more is coming on April 30th.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I google searched for the info in English and based on other sites, they're saying no details are out yet, but it's releasing Spring 2013 and more is coming on April 30th.

Okay, correction, they're getting this from the equivalent useless page that popped up for The Last of Us: http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/the-last-of-us-ps3.html

^This was (and still is) stating details like no online when online was afterwards confirmed in Game Informer, so I'm not even going to bother putting up the proposed release date.

It just seems like the same info that's on Sony's site. So, it's a 2013 release with no multiplayer and no 3D support.

Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
Spring 2013?

What does Sony have for the fall besides Last of Us?

Kind of assumed this would be a fall release since it's being announced now.

Combichristoffersen

Spring 2013?

What does Sony have for the fall besides Last of Us?

Kind of assumed this would be a fall release since it's being announced now.

Sly 4. Dunno if there's anything else coming. And wasn't Last of Us delayed to 2013 or am I making up things again?

Top Bottom