• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Stop assuming so much, this is one of the main problems in this topic right now.

I going to wait until April 30th to get official info.

Edit:hehe Kratos mom
http://i.imgur.com/c85rx.jpg

Don't tell me how to discuss a game we have no information about. There's no topic here without assumptions. I don't care that you're going to wait. Try contributing something to a thread other than spouting terse rebuttals of any mildly critical opinion.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

2013 release date and Multiplayer

I think I just threw up in my mouth realizing this as a potential real thing.

AAK

As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

00DZcM-25681084.jpg

rdrr gnr

As long as there are killstreaks, I'm okay with this.

Ahasverus

I'd love to see gamers this generation wanting to play the games they once played and see their faces of sandess because they are lost in time, with no servers to play MP.

I'd love to see gamers this generation wanting to play the games they once played and see their faces of sandess because they are lost in time, with no servers to play MP.

It actually saddens me that a lot of this generation's games will be lost or unplayable for future ones.....

Preservation in gaming is a big problem.

Hydrargyrus

Sounds fu**ing awful

Sounds awful. Please be false. And keep MP as far away from Kratos as possible.

I just hope this has some new gameplay. The God of War formula got tired for me by around the third game. I had a sudden epiphany where I was like, "To what end!?" and I couldn't go on past that. Though, having said that, I'm going to completely invalidate that by noting that I really liked the two PSP God of Wars in that Origins collection they released for the PS3. Maybe I just didn't like God of War III that much, because I still think the two PS2 games are pretty damn good.

In any case, the multiplayer thing sounds interesting and horrible at the same time.

Loudninja

Its confirmed not to be a spinoff.

A question about Gow future on the vita
@MaykelStone I'm sure there is a future there, it is a sweet little machine!

When ask about if Gow:A had any relation to Gow 3 and is it solely a prequal:
@crossfireceo There will be more news soon ;)

When ask if Gow:A will raise the bar even more graphics rise
@neo_icewind I think so, the team is always pushing tech/design/art forward ;)
https://twitter.com/#!/ToddPapy

Oh bajesus. People crying foul over MP before trying it. Never again for me... I was on the #1 bandwagon for no MP in Mass Effect. And it's my favorite part of ME3... I'll just wait to try it.

Number45

Confirmed no multiplayer? Hype +1.

So what do you guys think is going on with this game?
I don't expect it to deviate much from the current formula in terms of gameplay. I for one am more than happy with that. It'll be three years since God of War 3 and I'll be ready for more.

Also going to play through the games again in anticipation, I might even pick up the origins collection (played them on the PSP previously).

EDIT: Nice, thanks mescalineeyes. ^_^

Loudninja

I don't expect it to deviate much from the current formula in terms of gameplay. I for one am more than happy with that. It'll be three years since God of War 3 and I'll be ready for more.

Also going to play through the games again in anticipation, I might even pick up the origins collection (played them on the PSP previously).

EDIT: Nice, thanks mescalineeyes. ^_^
They didn't confirmed or deny anything.

The only thing this game needs is a good story like the first, the adventure of the second and the combat+wow moments of the third. Combine those things and you got a game that can become GOTY.

Drencrom

The only thing this game needs is a good story like the first, the adventure of the second and the combat+wow moments of the third. Combine those things and you got a game that can become GOTY.

I know you're reading this thread SSM, listen to this man!

Thanks for the wallpaper, mescaline!

EDIT: But regarding that multiplayer rumor, online co-op sounds great but competitive multiplayer not so much with the current control scheme.

Loudninja

I think we will see that really.

Todd wont say how long he been working on the game, but I imagine they been working on it since Gow 3 release.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I like your idea.

Edit: Also, how about a 2D HD remake of Betrayal for PSN? >_>

Gsak

I' like to see GOW tread into open world territory. Not completely perhaps, but it could toy around with it.

Drek

Why are people so opposed to multiplayer if it makes sense?

If it's set during a time when Kratos is traveling with a squad of Spartans it'd be cool as hell to have co-op as an option. At the same time, if the gameplay is as solid as GoW typically is who wouldn't want to see that expanded into the pvp multiplayer realm?

No one will make you go online and play multiplayer. I'm sure whatever SMS decide they'll deliver a fantastic single player experience first and foremost. If the new direction they take the series in opens the door for co-op/multiplayer then by all means step on through it. If its shit I'll never touch it. If its good then the game is better for it.

It sounds unbelievably horrible. I want them to overhaul the specifics of the mechanics, not change genres entirely.
Large scale, open field battles don't have to change the gameplay from being God of War's style of combat. If anything I'd argue that is what most open battle action games lack, gameplay as tight and effective as God of War.

They can't exactly have Kratos going through ancient temples platforming and solving puzzles constantly in a game that is supposed to be a prequel set during his time as a Spartan captain. It wouldn't make any sense. The platforming and puzzles are also constantly the weakest element of the God of War games, so its not like they're moving away from the series' strengths if that is the case.

Personally I think it'd be one of the best games of the generation if SMS tried their hand at making large battlefields with Kratos at the center, culminating in epic set pieces at the end of each.

Metroidvania style progression and exploration in a GoW game would be awesome.

GOW1 felt close to that IMO

Not quite as open as you could be, but the way the level design of Pandora's Temple fed into itself and sort of opened up as you continued exploring. I wished they'd gone that way in sequels, but even more open

Forget what I said in this entire thread. I take it all back, Sony Santa Monica, don't do ANYTHING new. Just make the same single player story with Kratos! EVERYONE loves that! It's so great!

J-just k-keep doing....what you've been doing...n-no need...to rock the boat....

MrCow

Ein Release ist für Frühjahr 2013 exklusiv auf PlayStation 3 geplant. Auf 3D-Support oder einen Multiplayer verzichtet man leider, dafür wird es am 30. April eine erste offizielle Vorstellung des Titels in einem Live Stream geben.

German GAF here:

this means there will be NO MP or 3d support!

so i don't get how all of you are jumping onto this comment which links to the german source

KevinCow

Banned
GOW1 felt close to that IMO

Not quite as open as you could be, but the way the level design of Pandora's Temple fed into itself and sort of opened up as you continued exploring. I wished they'd gone that way in sequels, but even more open

It's weird. They all have aspects of that, where you'll return to an area you visited earlier and can now get somewhere you couldn't before. Like, there's a part in GoW2 where you have to get past a wall shooting fireballs, but you can't until you come back later with the golden fleece. And GoW3 has a part with moving platforms that you can't activate until you get the electro-chains. And they all have a room or two that you pass through several times throughout the course of the game.

Yet, the games are all still entirely linear.

Between this and their love of hiding upgrades in little nooks and crannies, I'm surprised they haven't gone full on Metroidvania yet.

Corto

Reading too much on that mp text. But I would love to see some RTS elements of General Kratos commanding his troops in an isometric view. Just to cleanse the palate between the pure action segments. And it would be better, in my opinion, pace wise than the puzzle portions, as the player will keep the action rolling though in an indirect way.

Epcott

I'm all for keeping the series close to its roots too but, five games in, each one the same except for the fresh coat of paint and a few subweapons... and people want it to remain the same? But then complain about the staleness of other franchises? I don't get it.

I wouldn't mind a metroidvania GOW or one with multiplayer. I just don't want to play another GOW game with a brooding Kratos on a slaughterspree. It was fun from part 1 to midway through part 3, now it's just old. Or at least add something substantial to the gameplay.

And wtf, if no 3D support. I don't see that being true, unless Sony no longer cares about the sales of it's various 3D devices.

God Of WarCRAFT ?

Top Bottom