• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Jacob4815

As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

A nightmare.

Number45

Why are people so opposed to multiplayer if it makes sense?

If it's set during a time when Kratos is traveling with a squad of Spartans it'd be cool as hell to have co-op as an option. At the same time, if the gameplay is as solid as GoW typically is who wouldn't want to see that expanded into the pvp multiplayer realm?

No one will make you go online and play multiplayer. I'm sure whatever SMS decide they'll deliver a fantastic single player experience first and foremost. If the new direction they take the series in opens the door for co-op/multiplayer then by all means step on through it. If its shit I'll never touch it. If its good then the game is better for it.
My personal experience of SP games adding multiplayer isn't good. If they can achieve it and if it makes sense then I have no issues - but for me no multiplayer means all resources focused on the GoW experience that I've grown to love.

Frankly that suggestion of what the multiplayer could be like is the stuff of nightmares as far as I'm concerned.

Corto

My personal experience of SP games adding multiplayer isn't good. If they can achieve it and if it makes sense then I have no issues - but for me no multiplayer means all resources focused on the GoW experience that I've grown to love.

Frankly that suggestion of what the multiplayer could be like is the stuff of nightmares as far as I'm concerned.

Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed Brotherhood had great multiplayer modes. It's not impossible, but it's only natural to be wary a bit.

Get that stupid multiplayer fantasy away from the God of War franchise. Get it away from SSM in general. Why do you think games like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta do not have multiplayer? Because it just does not work and completely screws up the singleplayer portion as well. I'd rather have them focus on 1 aspect then go 50-50 on 2.

Derrick01

Banned
if this has no multiplayer, it's going to be stale

Multiplayer has nothing to do with making a game fresh. Killing real life bros the same the way you kill AI will change nothing.

And I'm glad we seem to be leaning towards no MP. Keep that garbage out of my SP franchises. You have a billion other games to play MP in.

Gsak

Multiplayer has nothing to do with making a game fresh. Killing real life bros the same the way you kill AI will change nothing.

And I'm glad we seem to be leaning towards no MP. Keep that garbage out of my SP franchises. You have a billion other games to play MP in.

Thank you, dear Sir.

This is God Of War. You want MP? Go to CoD.

Loudninja

Yet they can add it if they want to its never does any harm to anything.

Not sure where that line of thinking came from anyway. The it "can never work" defense stuff is so played out.

Get that stupid multiplayer fantasy away from the God of War franchise. Get it away from SSM in general. Why do you think games like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta do not have multiplayer? Because it just does not work and completely screws up the singleplayer portion as well. I'd rather have them focus on 1 aspect then go 50-50 on 2.
Ninja Gaiden has multiplayer and people seem to think its good.

BHK3

Banned
Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed Brotherhood had great multiplayer modes. It's not impossible, but it's only natural to be wary a bit.

I don't know about AC's sequels but U3 ruined the MP. I don't want gow to have mp for it to suck or for it to be good but never shown support.

Drek

1. If the devs view of GoW:A is to have Kratos fighting in massive battles with a squad of Spartans then multiplayer makes sense, no?

2. multiplayer does not detract from the single player when done by capable developers. They either add more staff or they add more time. Good devs have never released an inferior single player element simply because they added multiplayer.

Look at Uncharted 2, considered by most to be in all ways better than Uncharted 1, it had multiplayer. Same with the already mentioned Assassin's Creed. One of the best gameplay additions to the Metal Gear franchise recently has been multiplayer. Dead Space 2 added multiplayer and the single player didn't suffer from it one bit. The multiplayer isn't always of high quality itself, but well handled quality franchises have yet to fall apart simply by adding multiplayer.

A lot of series happen to add multiplayer when they're creatively bankrupt and don't know where to go with the series (Resident Evil). But the multiplayer is a symptom, not the cause.

There is no reason to believe that SMS is doing this, so why panic prior to seeing what exactly they're looking to implement?

Yes, because if the established developer of an existing single player game has an interesting new concept for the series that opens the door to multiplayer they should just shelve it so as not to change the formula. Great, nothing beats stagnant rehashes apparently.

The first part of this thread was a back and forth centered around a complaint that the series has grown stale. Now that there is some suggestion (with no factual basis at this time) that SMS has a vision for refreshing the gameplay style the bitching now centers around the fact that the refreshed gameplay might open the door for multiplayer.

Has SMS delivered a shitty God of War game yet? How many other great games have they helped out with that are worlds removed from the God of War franchise? Ever think that maybe, just maybe, the vision they have for a new God of War game might actually be a compelling game in it's own right that works ideally well within the backdrop of the GoW universe?

Loudninja

Yet the people playing can be counted with ease.

Want to play as Kratos and compete online? Go play Mortal Kombat 9.

Leave the God of War franchise as it is.
How in the hell would multiplayer hurt you?Do they force you to player it?

It boggles my mind.

How in the hell would multiplayer hurt you?Do they force you to player it?

It boggles my mind.

It is not that multiplayer hurts me but by experience it hurts the game itself.

The Mass Effect franchise is a prime example of it.

SSM can do all they want with a new franchise but not with this one.

Derrick01

Banned
The first part of this thread was a back and forth centered around a complaint that the series has grown stale. Now that there is some suggestion (with no factual basis at this time) that SMS has a vision for refreshing the gameplay style the bitching now centers around the fact that the refreshed gameplay might open the door for multiplayer.

Has SMS delivered a shitty God of War game yet? How many other great games have they helped out with that are worlds removed from the God of War franchise? Ever think that maybe, just maybe, the vision they have for a new God of War game might actually be a compelling game in it's own right that works ideally well within the backdrop of the GoW universe?

Sure, if that vision doesn't involve multiplayer. If that's all they can do to freshen up the series then they're obviously poor in creativity over there at SSM.

Carnby

As I said, this game will be multiplayer. You'll be playing in large scale wars with Kratos as the General. You'll be able to create your own Spartan warrior and play with friends; customizable skins, tattoos, armor, weapons etc. The main campaign will be up to 4 player co-op. You'll play through several battles against various races with some mythological monsters thrown in. The ante will go up after you make your deal with Ares and gain more abilities. You will serve Ares while slaughtering thousands. You will then be betrayed and kill your family, turning you against Ares. There will be a battle between you and Ares at the end and you will actually have the upperhand but because of a trick from the Gods, Ares will escape your wrath.

Then the multiplayer. It will be 16 players. You'll be able to play as Spartans, Barbarians, Arcadians, Persians, Athenians etc. There will be a few match types, 8 v 8 team death match, survival mode, and free for all. You will get to customize your character or choose from a list of characters including Zues Ares, Athena, Posiden, Hermes, Helios, etc.

This will be the most gritty GOW game. Expect much more blood and expect to be vunerable to injury that effects your performance. Also expect the ability to pick up dropped weapons or be able to steal weapons from your enemies. Customization will be huge in this game. Expect new comrades for Kratos as well.

2013 release date and Multiplayer

I can't help but think of Brutal Legend when I read this. RTS plus GOW combat does not work well together.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
It is not that multiplayer hurts me but by experience it hurts the game itself.

The Mass Effect franchise is a prime example of it.
The multiplayer community for Mass Effect 3 would think otherwise. I have sunk 25 hours into that game and still haven't touched the single player or been exposed to the dreaded ending.

Loudninja

Look I dont care if Gow has mutliplayer or not its not an issue with me.

But I not goign to be angry one bit if they do include it.

Roubjon

When developers build the game around multiplayer, then it hurts the singleplayer game. Look at Resident Evil 5. Those who didn't want to play CO-OP were then forced to have a shitty AI companion the whole game. This however isn't always the case though. Look at Dark Souls. The game is built around multiplayer, but it is done so in an unobtrusive fashion.

Kinyou

2013 release date and Multiplayer
So actually just player one gets betrayed and the co-op partners get to watch it? Or are there four different families that get slaughtered?
Both versions sound stupid to me.

The multiplayer community for Mass Effect 3 would think otherwise. I have sunk 25 hours into that game and still haven't touched the single player or been exposed to the dreaded ending.
Still, Mass Effect was never meant to be a multiplayer game. The Singleplayer has suffered from it, which is why people who play it for the SP are rightfully angry

Does that mean that it might, JUST MIGHT, be a sequel instead of a prequel??? Please Kratos in the sky. Make it a sequel.

Ahhh who am I kidding.

No, he's just saying that they have their reasons for making a prequel and people are just going to have to wait to find out why.

KevinCow

Banned
I've long thought that a co-op mode could be fun in the same way that old-school beat-'em-ups like Final Fight and Turtles in Time were. God of War is pretty much the evolution of those games, if you ask me.

But I wouldn't want it to be a major focus or anything.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If they are going to change anything substantial about the structure of the game, I'd love them to go in the metroidvania direction. As others have said, there have been elements of it in previous games, but I want them to go further down that path. For one thing, it would give them an opportunity to make incredible environments that the player will spend more time in rather than running through in a straight line. I think that would substantially enhance the feeling of adventure, for me at least. They could also offer more upgrades more often as part of the gating system. These are the things my gamer-brain wants.

jett

D-Member
I hope that post isn't true, mostly because I don't want a complete deviation from past games but also because I don't appreciate getting spoiled. :p

If they are going to change anything substantial about the structure of the game, I'd love them to go in the metroidvania direction. As others have said, there have been elements of it in previous games, but I want them to go further down that path. For one thing, it would give them an opportunity to make incredible environments that the player will spend more time in rather than running through in a straight line. I think that would substantially enhance the feeling of adventure, for me at least. They could also offer more upgrades more often as part of the gating system. These are the things my gamer-brain wants.

The words "most ambitious God of War yet" strikes me as there being some big change to the gameplay formula. I have a feeling they don't want to mess with the combat much, so I would imagine a more Zelda-like or Metroidvania-like structure should be the case.

I have kill Zeus, the ruler of gods, who am I going to kill in this one that will top that?

jesusak47.jpg

This kind of comment is really stupid to be honest. If you don't want people to judge your game for this trailer, don't release it. It's all everyone has about the game so far, what else are we going to base our thoughts on? Make a better trailer or accept things as it is.
Agreed. This teaser was really lame compared to the media we got for GOW3

Top Bottom