• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Did that GOW3 teaser really drive you nuts though? Seemed fairly formulaic to me, and not much better than the current teaser.

I don't care for CG teasers in general. Neither one was offensively bad, just a waste of time.
I guess in retrospect the GOW3 teaser made me think "wow, what if the game really looks that good?" while this one was "oh, it's that same style they used for the story summary cinematic in GOW3. I'm bored of that."

On the bright side, we'll be seeing some actual gameplay (?) in 10 days, unlike after GOW3's teaser.

jett

D-Member
2 years in the making, game is announced with useless CG teaser that shows nothing.

What is this trend in the gaming industry, seriously? Movies are announced the day they are greenlit.

Ricky_R

2 years in the making, game is announced with useless CG teaser that shows nothing.

What is this trend in the gaming industry, seriously? Movies are announced the day they are greenlit.

Yeah... There's this mystery surrounding video game announcements and how they filter the content. It's weird, but I honestly kinda like it.

Loudninja

At least we wont have to wait until E3 to see gameplay, we get it in 10 days.

KalBalboa

Banned
At least we wont have to wait until E3 to see gameplay, we get it in 10 days.
Yeah, knowing this game is coming has engendered a lot of conversation already, so I personally like the tease, for curiosity's sake. Having a hard date for more information and reveals only ten days away abates any danger of losing my interest.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

I.E. Final Fantasy Versus XIII style? Pass. I'd rather not know about it until its relatively close to release(couple months to 1ish year)

I.E. Final Fantasy Versus XIII style? Pass. I'd rather not know about it until its relatively close to release(couple months to 1ish year)

Exactly. Game announcements happening when they're greenlit would bring a lot of complaints. This industry is very different from the movie industry where you have Cameron announcing Battle Angel Alita and then saying that he doesn't even know when he's going to get around to it. Just imagine if DICE announced Mirror's Edge 2 and then said that they don't even know when they're going to get to it. People would be pissed off.

jett

D-Member

Versus is not the same as the example I gave. That game didn't even enter production until several years later. It was a bullshit announcement.

My point is if you're going to announce something after you've been working on it for several years give us some content at least not a nothing video with "lolz wait 10 days" attached to it.

What if this game is Kratos' thoughts where he finally lets go of the rage? Throughout the series, he has wanted the visions to end. Perhaps now we get to play those visions out in an effort to show us his last thoughts as he "ascends" to another plane.

jett

D-Member
What if this game is Kratos' thoughts where he finally lets go of the rage? Throughout the series, he has wanted the visions to end. Perhaps now we get to play those visions out in an effort to show us his last thoughts as he "ascends" to another plane.

Probably. Athena ascended because of her selfless sacrifice. Kratos did mostly the same thing at the end of GOW3.

Endo Punk

Im replaying GOW1 and seeing those flashbacks makes me even more excited. Playing Kratos as a Spartan general before all the God meddling is going to be very interesting. Plus Im curious to see how his family life is played it because they surely will be alive in this one.

SSM could really add a lot more depth to the character if they take it very seriously.

I was hoping GOW III would have had a flashback part of the game where you are a Spartan general (before becoming the ghost of Sparta but after getting the blades of chaos), fighting hundreds of Vikings on horseback. If done right that could be pretty awesome. Sounds like we may see something like that with Ascension? (Hoping)

Maybe "Ascension" refers to Kratos ascending the ranks of the Spartan army to general

Veelk

Banned
Probably. Athena ascended because of her selfless sacrifice. Kratos did mostly the same thing at the end of GOW3.

Where was this stated? As far as I know, there was never a reason given for why Athena was in astral form. And if that's true, how did Zeus get on at the end?

Ricky_R

Where was this stated? As far as I know, there was never a reason given for why Athena was in astral form. And if that's true, how did Zeus get on at the end?

IIRC she mentioned it herself talking to Kratos or said something about it to him. Might be talking out of my ass though, so beware.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

It would be clever to use ascension to refer both to his ascension through the ranks, told in flashback, and his ascendance as a result of death.

It would also be clever to make a game that was both prequel and sequel, telling what happened before his deal with Ares as well as after the end of GOW3. GOW could stand to try a new approach to narrative at this point.

Ah, so many ideas that won't ever happen.

Endo Punk

Yeah, that one is unexplained afaik... Maybe by default? Because he was the God of Gods? Who knows.

As corrupt as Zeus was he wanted to rebuild the world and fix the hell that Kratos brought, so you can say that his fight too was a nobale cause of soughts and ultimately lead him to ascend because he died for the planet.... or maybe he was just a bad enough dude to not let game logic stop him.

Minion101

Banned
Im replaying GOW1 and seeing those flashbacks makes me even more excited. Playing Kratos as a Spartan general before all the God meddling is going to be very interesting. Plus Im curious to see how his family life is played it because they surely will be alive in this one.

SSM could really add a lot more depth to the character if they take it very seriously.
One thing GoW3 didn't do was reaffirm good personal reasons why Kratos is angry. They did in 1 and 2 but not really 3. People played 3 and were like "Wow this guy's a real meanie." I think Ascension will be a whole game about why he is angry. He will then "Ascend" from hades because it has never kept him before.

Ricky_R

I think he means that people who only played 3 didn't get the same sense of Kratos' motivations as people who played the previous games.

Ohh... I understand.

Still, I don't know if it's ideal to keep repeating the reasons of his rage. Didn't GOW3 intro reveal a bit about it. Wasn't also lightly mentioned throughout the game?

Can't really remember clearly.

Haunted

jesusak47.jpg
Bad example, Zeus could kick Jesus' pansy little ass any day of the week. Also, I noticed an anachronistic mistake in the picture.
He's white.

B.O.O.M

I want to see his childhood trial (the one where he has to fend for himself to prove himself to be a warrior) and then his rise through the ranks from a soldier to a general of the Spartan Army. I personally think this is a very interesting premise if followed

Corto

I want to see his childhood trial (the one where he has to fend for himself to prove himself to be a warrior) and then his rise through the ranks from a soldier to a general of the Spartan Army. I personally think this is a very interesting premise if followed

Exactly. If they go that direction it will change the gameplay dramatically. It will be glorious if they can pull that off. I just hope it can be more fleshed out than the young Nathan Drake chapter on Uncharted 3.

B.O.O.M

Exactly. If they go that direction it will change the gameplay dramatically. It will be glorious if they can pull that off. I just hope it can be more fleshed out than the young Nathan Drake chapter on Uncharted 3.

Yep totally agree. It could be a game with some bold ideas and I have a lot of faith in SSM that they can actually pull it off.

On a side note, after playing the young drake chapter, I am still hoping for a future game entirely based around the young drake for the vita.

dummydecoy

Probably too early to ask, but who's gonna make the OT for this game when it comes out?
If no mortal has claimed the herculean task yet, can I, a junior member, do it? :D If not, I'll be happy to help! :D
It'll come with a GAF-exclusive PS3 theme with 6 new wallpapers, 4 of which are previewed below.
lDQYB.gif

And everyone will get free GOW shirt (jk)
2XHIm.gif

:p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Probably too early to ask, but who's gonna make the OT for this game when it comes out?
If no mortal has claimed the herculean task yet, can I, a junior member, do it? :D If not, I'll be happy to help! :D
It'll come with a GAF-exclusive PS3 theme with 6 new wallpapers, 4 of which are previewed below.
lDQYB.gif

And everyone will get free GOW shirt (jk)
http://i.imgur.com/2XHIm.gif

:P[/QUOTE]

what in the world

no problem on my side if this has multiplayer. SMS has proven time and time again in their games and others that they are very competent developers so I know their take on MP would be great or at least be a great effort.

Luigiv

Nice to see Sony is keeping up tradition with the series.

Director for:
GoW1 - David Jaffe
GoW2 - Cory Barlog
CoO - Ru Weerasuriya
GoW3 - Stig Asmussen
GoS - Dana Jan
GoWA - Todd Papy

"most ambitious God of War yet" kind of gives me a pretty decent sized boner, assuming it's not bullshit.

GoW III set the bar pretty damn high in terms of ambition as far as scale and visuals go (and managed to deliver big time). Really curious to see if/how they will be able to top it. Really hoping there is some truth to those words.

I'm more curious as to know about his wife and the relationship he had with her. I think it will show another side of his personality that we haven't seen before, since it's usually just him being angry. I also think it will add more to the story.

I'm more curious as to know about his wife and the relationship he had with her. I think it will show another side of his personality that we haven't seen before, since it's usually just him being angry. I also think it will add more to the story.
Visible (sensual) sex scene with spouse confirmed!

I wonder if Kratos was a faithful husband

I wouldn't mind seeing a personal element in the story

And I want a more grounded combat system as Kratos as a mortal. More Demon's Souls than God of War 3

Top Bottom