• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Loudninja

I wonder if Kratos was a faithful husband

I wouldn't mind seeing a personal element in the story

And I want a more grounded combat system as Kratos as a mortal. More Demon's Souls than God of War 3

I am pretty sure the combat will stay the way it is.

Well with changes a course.

Veelk

Banned
I wonder if Kratos was a faithful husband

I wouldn't mind seeing a personal element in the story

If they want to make Kratos' relationship with his wife even remotely believable, they will show him as an abusive jackass like he is in every other walk of his life.

I am pretty sure the combat will stay the way it is.

Well with changes a course.
Problem is with this, in the context of the story if you have the same combat then you need to dumb it down considerably and the gameplay is inevitably inferior to what they had in the past few games.

In the context of the story, if its before Kratos meets Ares, it wouldn't even make sense for him to be using blades. He'll probably have something like a shield / spear combo

It might make an interesting contrast to play a bit of a slower more realistic Kratos who transforms once Areas gives him the blades

Loudninja

I want to see his childhood trial (the one where he has to fend for himself to prove himself to be a warrior) and then his rise through the ranks from a soldier to a general of the Spartan Army. I personally think this is a very interesting premise if followed
Yes,not sure how far they will but I like to see it.

Its takes place before every Gow title.

Problem is with this, in the context of the story if you have the same combat then you need to dumb it down considerably and the gameplay is inevitably inferior to what they had in the past few games.

In the context of the story, if its before Kratos meets Ares, it wouldn't even make sense for him to be using blades. He'll probably have something like a shield / spear combo

It might make an interesting contrast to play a bit of a slower more realistic Kratos who transforms once Areas gives him the blades
It was not dumb down in the prequels on the PSP nor in Gow1.

He use blades in all those titles.

GOW1's moveset is absolutely nothing compared to his moveset by the end of GOW3

Either way, he had the blades in all of those games as it was after he had met Ares

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

Yeah, because they were all set after Ares gave him the blades. The point is that if the game takes place before that, he needs to be using different weapons and the combat needs to be redesigned for those weapons. I hope that's what happens. They need to be freed to explore a new combat system. They're talented and creative people and it must have frustrated them at least a little bit to have to keep the same combat for 5 games for the sake of "continuity."

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont know what the issue is with him using different weapons is... kratos always has "alternate" weapons to use and they worked fine. they just obviously werent as expansive because they wanted you to actually use his chains instead of the other shit all the time.

Loudninja

You guys really think he want be using some from of that weapon in this game?

Maybe not until late in the game though.

i dont know what the issue is with him using different weapons is... kratos always has "alternate" weapons to use and they worked fine. they just obviously werent as expansive because they wanted you to actually use his chains instead of the other shit all the time.
No issue at all, just a discussion. :)

prwxv3

I cant wait for the obligatory "its quicktime events the game" when the game gets close to release. Does anyone else want SSM to keep the fixed camera angles?

Loudninja

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Having a main weapon not as the chains should change things up quite a bit.

prwxv3

I don't want DMC or bayonetta, I want god of war. I dont want kratos jumping around doing sommersaults and flips and stupid crap. I want to rip peoples heads and arms off and beat them with it, I want the combat to be slower and feel the impact of each blow. This is god of war to me. I never understood the button masher aspect of god of war, I understand you can play it that way, but what's the point, I want combat to be slower, used the right stick to dash out of the way and grab opents, more of a counter attacker. I dunno, people have different views on different games. It was also a good mix up of using the bows for long range enemies, the head of medusa to stun larger opponents.

I found this somewhere else and it perfectly describes my feelings for GOW. I really don't want GOW to try to be like DMC or Bayonetta. Some teaks to the combat to make it a bit deeper would be welcome. The mid-combo weapon change in 3 both made the combat more robust but it did not change GOW into something it wasn't. I dont want what happen with NG3 (ironically this tried to be more like GOW) to happen with GOW.

Loudninja

I found this somewhere else and it perfectly describes my feelings for GOW. I really don't want GOW to try to be like DMC or Bayonetta. Some teaks to the combat to make it a bit deeper would be welcome. The mid-combo weapon change in 3 both made the combat more robust but it did not change GOW into something it wasn't. I dont want what happen with NG3 (ironically this tried to be more like GOW) to happen with GOW.
Yes the simple nature of gow combat is so satisfying to me.

KingK

I also don't want GOW to become as deep as DMC or Bayonetta. Those games just aren't nearly as fun for me because I'm not able to memorize and execute all of the complex combos needed to make them fun. DMC games were pretty good, but Bayonetta was just so bland, imo. GOW's combat, especially GOW3, is deep enough to be rewarding, but easy enough for people like me to grasp and use effectively.

Also, playing through God of War 3 on hard mode is...well...hard. I finally managed to beat the Cerberus and goats after like 50 tries, but now I'm stuck on Zeus. I'm taking a break for now, because he's kicked my ass about 20 times now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I also don't want GOW to become as deep as DMC or Bayonetta. Those games just aren't nearly as fun for me because I'm not able to memorize and execute all of the complex combos needed to make them fun. DMC games were pretty good, but Bayonetta was just so bland, imo. GOW's combat, especially GOW3, is deep enough to be rewarding, but easy enough for people like me to grasp and use effectively.

Also, playing through God of War 3 on hard mode is...well...hard. I finally managed to beat the Cerberus and goats after like 50 tries, but now I'm stuck on Zeus. I'm taking a break for now, because he's kicked my ass about 20 times now.

Bayonetta cannot accurately be described as bland.

Anyway, they need to add something more technical and rewarding to the combat for advanced players while retaining the accessibility.

Veelk

Banned

Anyway, they need to add something more technical and rewarding to the combat for advanced players while retaining the accessibility.
Some kind of scoring system would help, but that would break up the seamlessness of the immersion.

Papercuts

When people want GoW to be deeper, it doesn't necessarily mean completely changing his fighting style to be a ballerina. It can still cater to people wanting to keep it simple while giving advanced players tactics to work with. Funny enough, you say you DON'T want GoW to be like DMC/Bayonetta then praise real time weapon switch, which is a DMC inspired action. It can still be GoW at heart while doing stuff like this.

prwxv3

You could do some crazy things in GOW3 if you are good enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjTG5LpaG3o&feature=related they just need to tweak it a bit more. Having weapon specific finishers for each enemy type that do different things to other enemies could be a good addition.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You could do some crazy things in GOW3 if you are good enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjTG5LpaG3o&feature=related they just need to tweak it a bit more. Having weapon specific finishers for each enemy type that do different things to other enemies could be a good addition.

You can indeed do crazy combos, at least in this arena mode against one enemy. But they need to create an actual incentive. The bonus orbs you get for even a 200 hit combo, which takes a fair amount of effort, is negligible. I guess a lot of it comes down to my taste, in that I didn't like the new chain weapons in GOW3 very much, so I kind of neglect to include them when I think about the game's depth. I also don't think the hold-L1 moves are very good or interesting, and I haven't since GOW1. Again that's partly a matter of taste, but I think they can do a lot better than those moves.

I want them to add something as addictive as witch-time is in Bayonetta. I have no idea what that would be, though.

I never understood the "shallow" argument for GoW. There's clearly a lot of depth to it masked behind a veil of accessibility.

There is more depth than many give it credit for, absolutely. There's still not as much depth as the other leaders of the genre.

I found a lot of depth in God of War's combat, I felt the entire system was finally brought together in GOW3 because of the variety of manouvering methods Kratos has. That video illustrates it perfectly, using the chains to pull yourself into enemies; the icarus wings and Hermes boots. If you use all three of these in conjunction with the combat system you get some crazy results

That's why I was disappointed you couldn't do a new game + because the game finally feels just as it should right towards the end of the game

prwxv3

I never understood the "shallow" argument for GoW. There's clearly a lot of depth to it masked behind a veil of accessibility.

I never did either. You CAN use one combo and nothing else the entire game if you want (on the easier difficulties anyway) but if its not fun why would you. I always played the game trying to do as many different things to different enemies as possible. not mash square, square, triangle the entire game.

Papercuts

You can do stuff as shown by that video, yeah, but it's also in an arena 1 on 1. GoW is really more about crowd controlling, but the higher up the difficulty ladder you go the more you're limited. I've beaten them on the highest difficulty and it's really just tedious, you're very limited on what you can actually do in combat and have to stick to the few fast moves you have like square, square roll and counters to chip everyone down. The difficulty they add is just health and damage up, which is nothing on games like DMC/NG/Bayonetta, which actually change what enemies appear when, some actually add entirely new enemies only on these higher difficulties, and then some add additional wrinkles on the highest difficulty like DMC making the enemies use Devil Trigger against you. You generally have to master the complexities of these games, or atleast get close to it, to even survive these games at their best.

There's a lot to action games to consider beyond the ability to do combos, really. GoW3 started to do some stuff in the right direction atleast.

And again, this stuff is basically just talking high difficulty. They could still make the combat simple at heart and make the game satisfying and not entirely difficult for people who wish to keep it like that, but they can certainly cater to advanced players and make Titan something more entertaining to conquer. GoW as is is actually more fun at lower difficulties because you CAN do those longer combos. You get limited more and more as your rise the ladder here.

Veelk

Banned

Nothing in that video looks difficult to do at all. I'm not the kind of person that makes combo videos for any game, but I see nothing in that game that looks like it'd be a huge challenge. The animations take so long to complete that you can easily prepare your next move, and your weapons all have such a long reach that I think I'd be able to easily replicate whats happening here.

Now, this bayonetta video, on the other hand, I would need long, LOOONG hours of practice to get that kind of move to move precision. Just saying in the air like that would is a decent challenge, let alone everything else.

Regardless of what your thoughts on GoW's depth are, a combo video of it just doesn't come off as very impressive or difficult to do. I should mention that combo videos don't necessarily show off depth unless the game was specifically designed for it. I never thought NG combo videos were that impressive either, because NG's skill comes from avoiding enemy attacks and countering than it does from chaining attacks, especially when they are only fighting against one enemy.

prwxv3

There is more depth than many give it credit for, absolutely. There's still not as much depth as the other leaders of the genre.

I dont think GOW was ever trying to be like the other games in the genre in the first place. It went with a different approach. And the enjoyment of this approach depends on your tastes in action games.

And for the record while I do love DMC and Bayoneta I have enjoyed the GOW games far more.

lalapin0810

Neo Member
"most ambitious God of War yet" kind of gives me a pretty decent sized boner, assuming it's not bullshit.

GoW III set the bar pretty damn high in terms of ambition as far as scale and visuals go (and managed to deliver big time). Really curious to see if/how they will be able to top it. Really hoping there is some truth to those words.

"Hey guys, thansk for stopping by. Please stay tuned, all will be revealed soon. This GOW game will be as Epic as all the ones before. Most of the coer members of the original GOW team are here and we are all working hard to make the best game in the series yet. I promise that we will bring something new to the table that has not been seen in a God of War game before! I'm so glad to finally be able to talk about this game!!!!!"

From the blog
http://elanimador.blogspot.com/

Duderz

Banned
I couldn't even finish the teaser trailer. Between God of War 2 and especially 3, Kratos has become such an unlikeable character that I have little interest in this game.

Nothing in that video looks difficult to do at all. I'm not the kind of person that makes combo videos for any game, but I see nothing in that game that looks like it'd be a huge challenge. The animations take so long to complete that you can easily prepare your next move, and your weapons all have such a long reach that I think I'd be able to easily replicate whats happening here.

Now, this bayonetta video, on the other hand, I would need long, LOOONG hours of practice to get that kind of move to move precision. Just saying in the air like that would is a decent challenge, let alone everything else.

Regardless of what your thoughts on GoW's depth are, a combo video of it just doesn't come off as very impressive or difficult to do. I should mention that combo videos don't necessarily show off depth unless the game was specifically designed for it. I never thought NG combo videos were that impressive either, because NG's skill comes from avoiding enemy attacks and countering than it does from chaining attacks, especially when they are only fighting against one enemy.
I haven't played Bayonetta so I won't comment on it

But those GOW3 combos are insanely hard to pull off. He is constantly switching weapons and utilising a variety of different attacks that specifically aim to keep the enemy in the air. Launch Kratos in various ways. Not saying its on Bayonetta's level or not, but the shit in that video is damn impressive and I doubt you'd be able to replicate it

Veelk

Banned
I haven't played Bayonetta so I won't comment on it

But those GOW3 combos are insanely hard to pull off. He is constantly switching weapons and utilising a variety of different attacks that specifically aim to keep the enemy in the air. Launch Kratos in various ways. Not saying its on Bayonetta's level or not, but the shit in that video is damn impressive and I doubt you'd be able to replicate it

Yeah, I'm really not seeing it. Even after 3 years, I can follow the inputs that he is making in my head and at what time very easily. Like I said, because of the long animations, he has PLENTY of time to react, as opposed to the lightning quick reflexes required in Bayonetta. I'm not about to go through the trouble of rebuying the game, getting a videocard and putting it online to prove it, but I seriously doubt that it's particularly difficult to do. Honestly, watching it, it feels like I HAVE done the kind of combo's he's doing in the game back when I played it, but you'd have to be really skilled to pull off anything close to whats happening in bayonetta.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dont think GOW was ever trying to be like the other games in the genre in the first place. It went with a different approach. And the enjoyment of this approach depends on your tastes in action games.

And for the record while I do love DMC and Bayoneta I have enjoyed the GOW games far more.

I think the GOW games are a better overall package than any of the Japanese action games, but the combat is objectively worse. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan and ardent defender of GOW. I think the flow of the combat is excellent, the animation sells every impact, and I even like the rhythm created by the alternation of regular combos and QTE finishers. But I've also been a fan from the beginning and I want changes to make a 6th game more interesting to me, as an experienced player.

It's sad to me that they were so conservative in evolving the combat, using the excuse that it needs to be familiar to existing fans. That makes no sense. Existing fans should WANT to build on what they've already mastered, and people who haven't played before wouldn't know the difference anyway.

Veelk

Banned
It's sad to me that they were so conservative in evolving the combat, using the excuse that it needs to be familiar to existing fans. That makes no sense. Existing fans should WANT to build on what they've already mastered, and people who haven't played before wouldn't know the difference anyway.

wait, has it been confirmed what they are doing to the combat?

KingK

God of War is the only series in this genre (the genre of games like DMC, NG, Bayonetta) that I've been able to really enjoy. I would hate to see it try to become more like those other games with lightning quick, difficult, combo heavy combat. I just don't have the skill or desire to memorize combos and become good at those games, and trying to play them casually is just not fun at all.

I don't want to have to spend hours practicing to be able to pull off badass moves. I want to be doing badass shit within seconds/minutes of picking up the controller. That's what I love about God of War.

All I played of Bayonetta was the demo back when it came out, but I just hated that game. I kept getting my ass kicked, the only moves I could consistently pull off were lame, and it was visually bland and ugly.

^ Agreed. I love the original DMC but it still doesn't approach the GoW games for me, they just are not as fun. Its a little bit like comparing an arcade racer to GT, some people don't want the depth of GT they just want to go fast around a track.

Doesn't mean an arcade racer can't be great or one of the best games in the genre (like how Burnout 3 is considered a classic or the original Hot pursuit games), its just different.

And GoW most definitely does not need to learn anything from these games, GoW actually sells. That's not a knock on Bayonetta or anything, I'm just looking at it objectively. Its like me going into a COD thread and saying those games need to have real A.I like the Killzone games. I would get laughed at.

I'd love for the combat in GoW to continue improving, but not at the expense of changing the rhythm of the game or having it play completely different. For the record, I beat GoW3 on Hard and found it incredibly challenging, I'm not looking for an "easy" experience either.

Veelk

Banned
No, I was talking about the existing five games. Sorry if I was unclear.

Ah. Well, in defense of the series (ugh. vomited in my mouth there a bit), the progress of gameplay in the series is slow, but steady. GoW1 had very few enemies and only 2 weapons, which many agree that one was not very useful. GoW2 had more enemies with 4 weapons, which were also not very useful aside from a move or two. GoW CoO had only 2 weapons again, but both were useful. GoW3 had all 5 weapons being useful. At this rate, after another 2 or 3 games, we'll have something approaching what DMC3/NG had back in 2004.

Ah. Well, in defense of the series (ugh. vomited in my mouth there a bit), the progress of gameplay in the series is slow, but steady. GoW1 had very few enemies and only 2 weapons, which many agree that one was not very useful. GoW2 had more enemies with 4 weapons, which were also not very useful aside from a move or two. GoW CoO had only 2 weapons again, but both were useful. GoW3 had all 5 weapons being useful. At this rate, after another 2 or 3 games, we'll have something approaching what DMC3/NG had back in 2004.

It'd be good if DMC and NG could approach what they had in 2004 too

I think GoW could learn more from Batman than Japanese action games.

If it makes you vomit in your mouth to say something good about the series, why do you keep playing them?

hell no, keep that Batman style combat out of God of War. I like Batman combat and it's suited for Batman, but I don't want Kratos to jump around from one enemy to another. besides, Batman combat felt like a hit and run tactic to me, hit a dude once, then swith to other dude, and keep making chains of combo like that. I don't really vision Kratos as that kind of guy. he's more of a grab and fuck things up kind of guy imo.

Loudninja

About unlockable skins in the game
@Topottsel I'm sure we will try but I can't promise anything. I know the Character Artist like to do them.

Someone ask about but a tracking/ rolling system similar to Soul Reaver
@farfoor86 Like the fire bow last game? We like the fluidity of our current combat system vs locking/strafing on 1 guy.

Thats what I like about Gow no lock on system just simple fluid combat.

KevinCow

Banned
hell no, keep that Batman style combat out of God of War. I like Batman combat and it's suited for Batman, but I don't want Kratos to jump around from one enemy to another. besides, Batman combat felt like a hit and run tactic to me, hit a dude once, then swith to other dude, and keep making chains of combo like that. I don't really vision Kratos as that kind of guy. he's more of a grab and fuck things up kind of guy imo.

I didn't say they should copy Batman. I said they could learn from it. Batman's combat and God of War give me a similar kind of enjoyment. They're simple to get into and understand, you can get by and make your character do cool stuff without learning all the deeper tactics, but you can do things that are even cooler as you learn to use other skills. They're not like Japanese action games, which are really fast with unforgiving timing and the complexity of a fighting game.

The combo system in particular. I've never felt like there was much incentive to carry a combo or vary up your moves in God of War. Batman, on the other hand, gives you a nice experience bonus for making the most of the combat system, and designs enemies and encounters in such a way that dropping a combo is usually the player's fault.

Top Bottom