• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

ced

Just noticed it looks like the axe has slots for upgrade gems etc?

IaAaFGp.jpg

Drencrom

Are you sure? I am pretty sure when I played god of war 2 the basic non hero sized enemies could just be killed and obliterated by basic attacks without the pop ups. Weren't all the kills in this demo bideo cinematic ender kills?

Huh? Some regular sized grunt enemies also had optional kill finishers in GoW (at least in GoW3 and Ascension). What makes you think you can't kill enemies here without doing visceral kills? He only fights like 2 grunts and he did the cinematic kill finishers because it's cool looking.

Doesn't that increase damage and attack speed? Here it activated a cinematic sequence of him climbing it ala a boss kill in previous games with button prompts?

I think you're taking this demo a bit too literal. That part was most likely just a demo thing or a specific cinematic finisher for that story section.

Malice215

I'm disappointed that they moved on from everything that I enjoyed about God of War, including the voice actor. They should have just started a new IP instead of keeping Dadtos around for the brand recognition if they wanted to go in the same direction as the rest of the industry.

Vaga

Where the hell is the hit counter??????????? I can't deal with the camera. I need my fixed camera and hit counter and nonstop combo mess.

All gone, at least the camera for sure.

Can't say I miss them after all I've seen. Love the GoW series but the gameplay was getting stale after so many games with the same mechanics. This looks like a certified epic refresh.

ReaperXL7

Looks like a fairy

Yeah, fairies are very common in Norse Myth.

Can anyone gif the part where the boy uses the Lightning attack?

After someone suggested the Lightning was coming from the kid it got me thinking...This is the most common depiction of Thor in Norse Myth

norsethor.jpg

thor-la-mitologia-nordica.jpg

The Lightning stuff "could" be coincidence and I'm just guessing since we have very little info but I also noticed that the Boy has red hair which is also a common trait of Thor in Norse mythology (not the blonde from Marvel stuff)

Kratos was made a God at the end of the first game, and while much of his powers were stripped he still would have been considered a God/Demi God through the series due to Zeus being his father.
If the kids mother was a goddess it's possible their child would be a god or Demi God also.

Just noticed it looks like the axe has slots for upgrade gems etc?

yeah, in easy allies stream huber mention that you can explore the opening intro and discover material for crafting as well as weapon runes, which I assume is what used to upgrade your weapon.

LMFAO. Crafting?

And people scoffed at the idea of similarities to TLOU?

I'm not liking the sound of this.

it's not like Kratos is crafting hand grenades or medkits. I assume he's crafting weapon/armor. it's more like Witcher than TLOU that way.

LMFAO. Crafting?

And people scoffed at the idea of similarities to TLOU?

I'm not liking the sound of this.
The heck? Crafting has been in a ton of games before and after TLoU. Balrog did say it will have RPG elements. Makes the weapons more personal for me. Despite so many other weapons on previous games, nothing ever felt as good as the blades. I think focusing on a small few weapons and upgrading them is the right way to go.

Man...can we get more info on this game!

Asriel

yeah, in easy allies stream huber mention that you can explore the opening intro and discover material for crafting as well as weapon runes, which I assume is what used to upgrade your weapon.

it's not like Kratos is crafting hand grenades or medkits. I assume he's crafting weapon/armor. it's more like Witcher than TLOU that way.

We don't know this. I myself am making assumptions.

I mean, crafting weapons would be awesome, too! I'm just not feeling good about the direction of combat.

Hit counter might still be in I'm hoping for it, game seems to play kinda like a hybrid souls game. Countering actually seems like an easy way to make the combat more user focused with the current camera angle. Plus they should bring back that little time slowdown when you get a perfect counter.

Interested in seeing now the combat engine is detailed.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but here is some info:

- Egypt and Norse were a tie, Norse won because it was less lively (in terms of civilization) and they wanted Kratos to live alone. It plays before Vikings.

- language is swedish and Kratos doesn't speak it, that's why he doesn't understand the troll

- Cory Balrog never liked QTE's, no QTE's beside pressing a button repeatedly

- 3 years in development

Edit: - son is being prepared for something.

Drencrom

- Egypt and Norse were a tie, Norse won because it was less lively (in terms of civilization) and they wanted Kratos to live alone. It plays before Vikings.

- language is swedish and Kratos doesn't speak it, that's why he doesn't understand the troll

- 3 years in development

Source?

As a swede even I can't really make out what the troll says lol

Sounds like there'll be less QTEs this time around which I don't mind as long as the kill finishers are still in.

I love the idea of no camera cuts. Ascension frigging took control away from the player in EVERY ROOM so that it could PAN OVER THE UPCOMING ROOM. It was unbelievable how broken the action was.
This game could end up taking control away from the player every bit as much. You can see plenty of that on-again off-again interactivity in the demo.

Watching through the demo again is selling me more on the game concept though. I just hope the narrative bits and walking don't dilute the action like some other games I can think of.

Source?

As a swede even I can't really make out what the troll says lol

Sounds like there'll be less QTEs this time around which I don't mind as long as the kill finishers are still in.

I watched the Play livestream last night and he said that the troll spoke ancient norse and Kratos couldn't understand him but the kid can. That's what I understood.

Yeah, fairies are very common in Norse Myth.

Can anyone gif the part where the boy uses the Lightning attack?

After someone suggested the Lightning was coming from the kid it got me thinking...This is the most common depiction of Thor in Norse Myth

norsethor.jpg

thor-la-mitologia-nordica.jpg

The Lightning stuff "could" be coincidence and I'm just guessing since we have very little info but I also noticed that the Boy has red hair which is also a common trait of Thor in Norse mythology (not the blonde from Marvel stuff)

Kratos was made a God at the end of the first game, and while much of his powers were stripped he still would have been considered a God/Demi God through the series due to Zeus being his father.
If the kids mother was a goddess it's possible their child would be a god or Demi God also.

Do we have the common depiction of other Norse God? Possibly female?

- 3 years in development

Vikings appeared at the late 8th century AD, so the language the troll speaks must have been proto-norse language or old norse language.

edit: it could be proto-germanic, too.

Loved everything I saw, really enjoy the GoW series but after so many titles the same game formula has gotten really stale, especially coming from Ascension it needed evolution and changing up. This showed it has kept the key elements of combat while also introducing some interesting ideas and mechanics... At least Kratos doesn't seem so dull anymore as a character, we'll see where that goes however as it is a little too early to tell. I'm part Norwegian and Norse mythology has always hit home for me, so glad it went this way, Egyptian was my second choice though.

CrazyDude

Frigg- Goddess of Marriage and Motherhood. (Odin's wife) She is the one sitting.
Hlín- Goddess consolation and protection. She is also Frigg's protector. (She is the one standing.
800px-Frigg_by_Doepler.jpg

Iðunn- Goddess of Youth
paintingjamesdoylepenroseidunnandtheapples.jpg

Jörð- Goddess of Earth
Moder_Jord.jpg

Elli- Goddess of old age
330px-Elli_and_Thor_by_Robert_Engels.jpg

Gefjun- Goddess of Fertility and Plough
800px-Gefion.jpg

Ran-Goddess of the Sea
Ran_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg

valkyre

The cinematic finisher for the troll had to be a QTE event like before but for presentation reason the button prompts were removed.

ReaperXL7

Yes,

As some examples you have Freya which would be the goddess of love, sex, beauty. Equal to Aphrodite in Greek

freyja3.jpg

You have Hel who is the goddess of the underworld and is also Lokis daughter and a giant. Akin to Hades

Norse_Mythology_Hermod_Before_HEL.jpg

And Frigg who is Odins wife which would make her akin to Hera in Greek myth

frigg.jpg

I mentioned it before but I'm going to do a post after E3 is over about Norse Myth and how it might translate into the new setting for God of war.

creatchee

Calling it now: the boy remains unnamed except for Kratos calling him Boy and Son. Then, somewhere near the climax, his name is revealed to be.... Odin. Kratos was training a new God of War the whole time.

ReaperXL7

Thanks to both ;) So who do you think is the mother?

That's difficult to predict IF the boy is Thor because Thor is a son of Odin in Norse myth. The Norse god of hunting is a man unlike Greek which is female (Artemis) so Kratos asking if his mother taught him to hunt is probably not a clue.

Thors wife was named Sif who was the goddess of harvest

Sif_from_Swedish_Edda_translation.jpg

But with him (possibly) being the kid obviously he's not going to have a wife so it could be her.

kromeo

Calling it now: the boy remains unnamed except for Kratos calling him Boy and Son. Then, somewhere near the climax, his name is revealed to be.... Odin. Kratos was training a new God of War the whole time.

If you don't fight Odin how will you get Gungnir? and you will...

graffix13

Huge GoW fan, but I was hesitant when I heard Kratos was going to be in this. I like the character but his story has been told.

Now that I have seen some footage and know more details, I am so excited for this.

Top Bottom