• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

tskeeve

My exact reaction. I don't know what's cornier, the crafting or the babysitter sim aspect. I mean it looks nice but that's about where it ends based on this.

The eventual RPG-ification of God of War was envisioned by Jaffe from the get-go. Really not sure why people think some sort of limited crafting system (most likely Rune crafting, which would fit the game nicely) and leveling/skill selection system would be so out of place. So long as the combat is brutal and satisfying, and there are epic set-piece fights, it's God of War.

void666

Banned
I was afraid of seeing the same old kratos yelling REVENGE and murdering norse gods.

I like where they are going with this new direction. I'm just not a big fan of crafting. It seems 9 out of 10 games these days have crafting.

Zukkoyaki

My exact reaction. I don't know what's cornier, the crafting or the babysitter sim aspect. I mean it looks nice but that's about where it ends based on this.

GdwvBjx.png

Zomba13

Sounds super unique and exciting. I understand GoW fans maybe not being happy with this kind of change but I welcome it. I enjoyed the GoW saga/complete collection thing but was bored by the latest one, it just felt like not enough was new. This excites me for a GoW which hasn't really happened since the graphics of 3.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, Kratos going to die in this one I think. Its obvious with teaching the son things, he is obviously going to be the next main character of the next game probably.

I'm definitely exaggerating but the son-all-the-time babysitting thing that I'm actually thinking 'nah thanks guys'. I really really hate having to watch NPCs in games ala RE4 and so on.

I'd love an option to just axe him to death in that opening sequence and be able to just continue like nothing happened and be on my merry way.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
It's not a big open world like Elder Scrolls, but I wonder if it will be an interconnected world like you see in the Souls and Metroid games. In the demo it looks like there were a lot of other paths to take, also when they entered a new area it said "Dauthamunni Discovered". When Geoff asked how open the game's world would be, Cory said "Open, but not an open world."
https://youtu.be/qpRCxKOHnLY?t=2m39s

Loudninja

I'm definitely exaggerating but the son-all-the-time babysitting thing that I'm actually thinking 'nah thanks guys'. I really really hate having to watch NPCs in games ala RE4 and so on.

I'd love an option to just axe him to death in that opening sequence and be able to just continue like nothing happened and be on my merry way.
My God...

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ooh those screencaps posted earlier give us a good look at his chain scars. Can't wait for the surprise reveal of those bad boys against the final boss.

Or were they permanently destroyed at the end of III? I forget.

I don't want to frighten you but if the game doesn't have any launch window then expect a 2018 release. Last year Horizon was revealed without a release window and look at its release date now. Expect GOW to be released in March 2018. Every GOW game was released in March and March 2017 isn't conceivable.

Loudninja

I don't want to frighten you but if the game doesn't have any launch window then expect a 2018 release. Last year Horizon was revealed without a release window and look at its release date now. Expect GOW to be released in March 2018. Every GOW game was released in March and March 2017 isn't conceivable.
Ehh?

They been working on the game 3 years now and just hired 50 more people.

It will be late 2017.

I was afraid of seeing the same old kratos yelling REVENGE and murdering norse gods.

I like where they are going with this new direction. I'm just not a big fan of crafting. It seems 9 out of 10 games these days have crafting.
Same here. It feels like they wanted to try something different here and it shows what we have seen so far.

BumRush

You guys saying it should have just been a new IP aren't considering the excitement that comes from having a character we are very familiar with be pushed into new territory that takes him completely out of his element. Kratos has started a new life and has a son. All illusions that his rage was tied solely to revenge have evaporated for him and now he realizes what we have all known playing all the games - The blood-thirst, the anger it was a part of him all along. Now he can't run from it and has to face the fear of seeing it starring right back at him through the eyes of his innocent son.

To anyone that has loved the series how can that not be an exciting development.

I wish I was alerted every time you posted

It's funny how some people have already figured out everything about the game from the demo and a few statements. Apparently enough so that they don't like it. I forgot, it's the Internet...

I love GOW and I'm genuinely excited. Visually, the game looks amazing. But that was sort of expected from Sony Santa monica. GOW will usually be a technical powerhouse. I also don't see the problem with the idea of "crafting". Firest, we don't know how in depth it'll be or how it'll work. I'm assuming you have your core or basic weapon and you use crafting to upgrade, etc. This wouldn't be much different as upgrading weapons in the past. Instead of choosing to upgrade some crappy weapons you hardly use, i rather be able to build and upgrade the weapon of my choice. Obviously this is all speculation.

Also, why are people shitting on GOW having a story? First, that's a ridiculous complaint to have. If a game is good and fun, how can it harm if it has a good decent attached? I know gow changed through the years, however the original gow was pretty story based. It had a great intro which started the story with emotional elements intertwined. The later entries just moved further from the story.

I played and enjoyed all entries in the goworld series. However, the game kept getting further and further from what made it what it was. Gow3 and ascension went for hyperbole and grander scale and left certain things behind. They already said they are keeping those big type of moments. It's good that they also acknowledged that they left some things behind and are correcting them now. Honestly, they can keep mp out ifnthey want also. Day one for me.

Also, I think it'll be fall 2017 or early 2018 (march). Sony can't win. If they give a release window, people will ask why they did so that early. Especially of the game is delayed a few months. If they don't, then people question why they don't and think the game is years away. Most of the games Sony shown seemed to be pretty far along. Especially considering the studios have been working on them for a while. I'm sure we'll gwt more news at later shows, especially psx.

Ehh?

They been working on the game 3 years now and just hired 50 more people.

It will be late 2017.

I did say it'll be Sony's biggest 2018 game... after it gets delayed from 2017. lol

Can Sony release a big game on time anymore?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Yeah, Kratos going to die in this one I think. Its obvious with teaching the son things, he is obviously going to be the next main character of the next game probably.

Hmm, he's died several times and come back. I don't think he's meeting his end. No one's going to buy it now.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I generally don't give a shit about GoW, but i'm buying this.

It seems this new GOW gathered many positive reactions from reluctants of the series. What about the die-hard fans of the series? What did they think about this complete overhaul? Many posts I read from then weren't in favor of it. Does that mean SSM is looking to make this GOW more open to new comers ?

Hmm, he's died several times and come back. I don't think he's meeting his end. No one's going to buy it now.

Maybe he will go to Valhalla and drink in the halls to the end of time. That is a way they can kill him, have him picked up by a Valkyrie and end.

Then maybe they will bring him back in God of War 6, when the new protagonist is fighting in Egypt and is about to die. Kratos comes down, and becomes Norse vs Egypt, and the kid is all like "thanks dad".

A MICHAEL BAY PRODUCTION.

It seems this new GOW gathered many positive reactions from reluctants of the series. What about the die-hard fans of the series? What did they think about this complete overhaul? Many posts I read from then weren't in favor of it. Does that mean SSM is looking to make this GOW more open to new comers ?

Cory doesn't seem to care at all; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpRCxKOHnLY

He looks like Geoff is boring him:(

sackninja

Don't know if this has been talked about but, from the playstation live stream, Kratos doesn't understand the different languages but the kid does understand them. So you need his help to understand things.

Top Bottom