• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

rdytoroll

No one saw this coming. I mean, we all heard the leaks of Norse and all but we thought it was going to look like GoW3 but Norse. This was the biggest surprise of E3 easily. Just seeing how tame Kratos is, and 'bottling' up everything (according to Cory), and knowing he's going to go HULK SMASH at some point just does so much for me.

Yes, exactly. I would have been fine with it, but this is a whole other beast of a game. Probably my most anticipated PS4 game, bring it on SSM

DrZeus

Frankly, the God of War legacy is what turns me off of this. I hate Kratos, and God of War 1 is the only game that felt like it had a real vision.

This might win me over though... assuming Kratos isn't a fucking idiot with roid rage and a distinct lack of self-awareness for the umpteenth time again...
Did you watch the reveal? He's completely the opposite of all that.

If this were just God of War 4 I would not have given a fuck about it. I really liked most of those games, but I'm so done with everything about that formula. It was played out after 3 games, let alone 7.

But now this is probably my most anticipated announced game because not only is it a totally refreshing change from the ground up (while seemingly keeping the things I DO still want to see from GoW) but all the changes appear to be very much for the best and make sense for the story they are telling and the game we'll be playing.

Part of the reason ND is such a great developer is that they really advanced and pushed things forward with each new game, but SSM besides the crazy tech they were pushing were more or less making the same game and telling the same (not exceptional) kind of story over and over again.But now it looks like they could join ND in my eyes.

reKon

Banned
If I learn that this game has context melee moves and attacks based on the environment, this game will sky rocket for me to being most anticipated.

I'm also going to call it and already guess that this game will release Late Holiday 2017.

If I learn that this game has context melee moves and attacks based on the environment, this game will sky rocket for me to being most anticipated.

I'm also going to call it and already guess that this game will release Late Holiday 2017.

I mean, he slammed that one enemy's head against the rock so I'm sure they will be some environmentally contextual moves

Please respond.

Way way way closer to Gears of War than The Last of Us. The first game has a pretty decent narrative framing, 2 is convoluted nonesense, and 3 tries to have some emotional resonance and more rigerous narrarive framework but the characters are way too thin to support it.

Story was not the main draw of these games (although that looks to change with the new one).

Cyberia

I'm eager to know if writers are still the same people or they got new one/s for this. Comment if you find out Gaf!

Looks like Marianne Krawczyk is still with the studio:

EuS8J5s.jpg

Way way way closer to Gears of War than The Last of Us. The first game has a pretty decent narrative framing, 2 is convoluted nonesense, and 3 tries to have some emotional resonance and more rigerous narrarive framework but the characters are way too thin to support it.

Story was not the main draw of these games (although that looks to change with the new one).

It started to make less sense over time. The first game had a good balance of story and combat.

So according to this

you can throw the axe at something at the start of the game, then 2 hours later into the game you can summon it again from the orgiinal location?!!!

holy shit

Wow! Which means if you keep the axe fixed on the wall or enemy, you can continue your path by punching enemies like in the demo? Reminds me of some games like Indiana Jones: if you don't pick up your hat when it falls, you continue the game without it. Really amazing.

Amir0x

Banned
I am digging this new direction. The action of God of War was always second tier to the greats, and this gives it a way to invent a new personality and perhaps break some new ground while we're at it. It looks astonishing, of course. I didn't think I even wanted to play another God of War if it starred Kratos, but they went in probably the only solitary direction I could have been interested in the character helming the franchise again. I'll reserve judgment for if it plays any good for when I get a hands on or I hear trusted GAFer impressions, but it sounds rad for now.

Aceofspades

Banned
So according to this

you can throw the axe at something at the start of the game, then 2 hours later into the game you can summon it again from the orgiinal location?!!!

holy shit

What!! No loading screens and now this? They are utilizing the RAM very well.

Jesus, Sony investment in these studios in the 90s is paying them off really well now.

God of War story is basic really, its a revenge story that's pretty much it.

Thanks!
I am disappoint

What!! No loading screens and now this? They are utilizing the RAM very well.

Jesus, Sony investment in these studios in the 90s is paying them off really well now.

No cutscenes and no black bars too. All the watching moments are part of gameplay, when Kratos gets angry at his son, his rage meter goes up and then goes down (probably Cory Barlog pushed some buttons to cool it down) and when he tells his son to aim at the deer, a crosshair showed up to aim and shoot.

just saw the demo. ive never played any of the god of war games but i love norse mythology so im probably in for this one. think ill look into playing its predecessors in the lead up to launch though.

III-V

One continuous set piece from start to finish with no loading thru the entire game? Is this possible, sounds off the charts ridiculous, I must be misunderstanding something.

Shin-chan

Thanks!
I am disappoint
The stories are more or less just action popcorn flicks with heavy emphasis on a pissed off guy mutilating a bunch of Greek mythical beasts and gods.

While the content might not be brilliant they are still well paced and get you hyped to basically fuck shit up at every turn.

I also find it hard to dislike Kratos in the context of the games. Yeah he's an asshole but so is everybody else. The stuff he pulls off is just so incredible and against the odds that it's hard not to get behind him despite him being the anti-ist of anti heroes.

One continuous set piece from start to finish with no loading thru the entire game? Is this possible, sounds off the charts ridiculous, I must be misunderstanding something.

In the last interview Cory Barlog confirmed that the game will have many varied set pieces with different environments. Exploration is a big part of the game and Easter Eggs and secrets are abundant. The E3 demo is full of them and we didn't probably uncover 2% of them. About Loading times, most of Sony games were smart to bypass loadings since the PS2 era, With this gen, it is more expected.

jayu26

A thought just occurred to me. This franchise has had a history of coming up with very ambitious ideas that get cut for various reasons that are revisited in later games. Icarus Wings and climbing Cronos for example.

God of War II has the Pegasus sequence, where Kratos travels on it and fights other creatures. It is for the most part forgettable sequence due to the fact that there are so many other crazy moments in the series. Limitations of PS2 do not help either.

Now, there is a dragon in this game and it is on PS4. So what if that dragon is not something you fight but get around the map Denarius Tygarian style? What if there is set piece where you are riding the dragon and fighting something huge in the middle of the game? That would be boss.

A thought just occurred to me. This franchise has had a history of coming up with very ambitious ideas that get cut for various reasons that are revisited in later games. Icarus Wings and climbing Cronos for example.

God of War II has the Pegasus sequence, where Kratos travels on it and fights other creatures. It is for the most part forgettable sequence due to the fact that there are so many other crazy moments in the series. Limitations of PS2 do not help either.

Now, there is a dragon in this game and it is on PS4. So what if that dragon is not something you fight but get around the map Denarius Tygarian style? What if there is set piece where you are riding the dragon and fighting something huge in the middle of the game? That would be boss.

Did watch the last interview from IGN?

Cory Barlog sadly confirmed that it isn't possible to ride a dragon to travel in the game. I wish it was the case, it would be so fun. Maybe because the game isn't fully open-world, that is why it wasn't planned, since maps will be segmenetd and you can't see them as a whole from above.

jayu26

Did watch the last interview from IGN?

Cory Barlog sadly confirmed that it isn't possible to ride a dragon to travel in the game. I wish it was the case, it would be so fun. Maybe because the game isn't fully open-world, that is why it wasn't planned, since maps will be segmenetd and you can't see them as a whole from above.

My dream is crushed. Then again, like I said, they do revisit ideas in later games, so fingers crossed.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
this game most likely will come out late next year, cant wait to see more most likely at playstation experience

Top Bottom