• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

hangdang

Banned
I'm o excited for this game. One of my all-time favorite series. I'm really interested to see how the hell Kratos ended up in the north with a son, but even if the story sucks,its not necessarily why I'm playing those games in the first place

You guys saying it should have just been a new IP aren't considering the excitement that comes from having a character we are very familiar with be pushed into new territory that takes him completely out of his element. Kratos has started a new life and has a son. All illusions that his rage was tied solely to revenge have evaporated for him and now he realizes what we have all known playing all the games - The blood-thirst, the anger it was a part of him all along. Now he can't run from it and has to face the fear of seeing it starring right back at him through the eyes of his innocent son.

To anyone that has loved the series how can that not be an exciting development.

Tadale

I thought I was completely done with this franchise, but now I'm very interested. They seem to be making an entirely different type of game, which I think is necessary to make God of War relevant and exciting again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You guys saying it should have just been a new IP aren't considering the excitement that comes from having a character we are very familiar with be pushed into new territory that takes him completely out of his element. Kratos has started a new life and has a son. All illusions that his rage was tied solely to revenge have evaporated for him and now he realizes what we have all known playing all the games - The blood-thirst, the anger it was a part of him all along. Now he can't run from it and has to face the fear of seeing it starring right back at him through the eyes of his innocent son.

To anyone that has loved the series how can that not be an exciting development.

Nailed it. Seeing Kratos after his revenge has been fulfilled, with him fighting his rage, and trying to start over with his caring for children that was explored in GoWIII with Pandora coming into play is very cool and will make for a much different experience.

Loudninja

Nailed it. Seeing Kratos after his revenge has been fulfilled, with him fighting his rage, and trying to start over with his caring for children that was explored in GoWIII with Pandora coming into play is very cool and will make for a much different experience.
Remember the superbowl commercial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aDhfTGkLTg

Falchion

Well I certainly was surprised with the route they've taken on this but it sounds great. As long as having your son along for the journey doesn't limit the awesome, action packed moments of the game I'm excited.

Newboi

Seeing that Kratos will have his son with him the entire time, does this mean his womanizing days are over? They definitely talk about the son's mom in the past tense, like she died awhile ago (or went missing).

Seeing that Kratos will have his son with him the entire time, does this mean his womanizing days are over? They definitely talk about the son's mom in the past tense, like she died awhile ago (or went missing).

I'm surprised we haven't heard complains about his son being a boy instead of a girl. I don't think we'll see the sex mini game, not that the game needs it tho, it feels more mature now and could be kind of silly in the new context.

Newboi

I'm surprised we haven't heard complains about his son being a boy instead of a girl. I don't think we'll see the sex mini game, not that the game needs it tho, it feels more mature now and could be kind of silly in the new context.

I personally hope they are gone tbh.

CrazyDude

To be fair, there has been a lot of male and little girl combos in games like walking dead, last of us, tales of xillia 2, so I am fine with the kid being a boy.

kurahador

Why would there be complains? Kratos already have a daughter, Calliope. And we already saw the whole chapter that involves her in Chain Of Olympus.

Yep, well said. I'm super excited.

gbus

I think the kid is Ullr. He is (next to Odin and some other goddess)the god of hunting, of the bow, ... He is the stepson of Thor. His mother is Sif and his father is unknown. Could create some interesting tension between Thor and Kratos. In the beginning of the demo the kid is seen playing with a figurine that I believe depicts Odin. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullr

creatchee

I think the kid is Ullr. He is (next to Odin and some other goddess)the god of hunting, of the bow, ... He is the stepson of Thor. His mother is Sif and his father is unknown. Could create some interesting tension between Thor and Kratos. In the beginning of the demo the kid is seen playing with a figurine that I believe depicts Odin. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ullr

Oooh that's a good theory too!!! I still think that the name of the boy isn't revealed until the end and is integral to the plot, whatever it is.

Two Words

I hope this game isn't about fighting the gods. Let them be a part of the game, but I don't want it to be another story where the gods are dicks.

Cory Barlog just tweeted this:

GdwvBjx.png

Sounds nothing like God of War, they should had just made it into a new IP.

A valid opinion and one that is often leveled at other franchises that veer off the well-trodden path of their history. However, in this case we aren't seeing as much of this kind of reaction and I think it's because God of War had become so stale and unexciting for most that a change of this magnitude was needed if the franchise was to continue. Furthermore, the types of changes they are making (exploration, RPG and crafting elements, etc.) will bring in a large segment of gamers who eat that shit up.

Two Words

The camera might automatically pan back a bit when you get into bigger fights. It did it a little bit in the troll fight.

Also, how on Earth did anybody still think this was a new Kratos after seeing the "Spartan Rage Available" segment in the game? It's funny seeing Greg Miller still act like this is a whole new Kratos. Saying that he will still be called Kratos, but that its now a Norse character. Kratos is a greek name. Like, what?

watching gamersyde video of the reveal...and i spot something...

i didn't notice this before and it almost seems obvious so someone may have brought it up but...

giphy.gif

top left corner. FAIRY!!

take me to Valhalla if old.

trixx

This game is really exciting, haven't been interested in God ofWar for quite some time but this looks like a step in the right direction

Lady Gaia

Is there anything definitive that says Kratos won't simply be named Odin by the Norse once he completes his rampage through their less divine mythical landscape? He could simply be the start of their pantheon, a new God of war, starting the cycle all over again. That would be fun. Or he could be wreaking havoc through an established collection of gods again, but it would seem a little "been there, done that."

I'm totally down for what Santa Monica Studios has for us.

I loved God Of War 1 to 3 (though I never beat 3) and this new direction is kind of exciting, instead of a rehash of several games now.

Plus I don't think the new camera system is going to be an obstacle to how the game can be played. God Hand for example had a similar camera scheme and it played and felt good to play.

I'm totally down for what Santa Monica Studios has for us.

I loved God Of War 1 to 3 (though I never beat 3) and this new direction is kind of exciting, instead of a rehash of several games now.

Plus I don't think the new camera system is going to be an obstacle to how the game can be played. God Hand for example had a similar camera scheme and it played and felt good to play.

You know classic figthing games have a 2D classic view for fast combat. Many said a normal 3D from-behind camera would never work for fighting games since the combat wouldn't be fast enough, but games like Naruto, One Piece and especially Dragon Ball beg to disprove that.
No one should worry about the shift of the camera view. SSM surely knows how to adapt it according to specific situations considering that they have more control on the camera now.
GOW can be even played in First Person mode and it will still be good
(and they already did that for GOW3)

Kratos looks like he still has some level of power, No where near the power he had in older games. Willing to be he retained some level of Demi-God power anyway since he is the son of Zeus.

I pulled as many interesting things as I could find from the trailer.

The HUD, Notice the axe on the right quadrant and the bow at the bottom, Looks like weapons for Both Kratos and his son will be available as you play, Additionally no idea what the thing on the left is, Possibly magic? He does have a Horn and a Flask on his belt.
AaGjMoH.jpg

The Axe, It's Ice powered based on the footage, I can't find any Norse legend it matches.
IaAaFGp.jpg

The figure watching Kratos and Kidtos. Originally I figured it may have been the kids mother but it floats off to the right and the camera purposefully avoids it. The area before it has 3 different paths and Kratos goes left. I think it might be either an upgrade mechanic vendor or something similar. Doesn't look all that important.
aNLHqid.jpg

Scars of the chains glow when activating Spartan Rage, Looks like kratos binds his forearm to hid them. Neat little touch
LBVp3pY.jpg

Dire Wolf that quickly leaves the scene after being startled. Nice to see some wild life.
a5ru8NW.jpg

Flying magic fairy? We know you go to the fairy Kingdom due to the leaks, makes sense I guess. Still strange to see it outside the fairy portion of the game. Could be something else I suppose.
DqTQTU6.jpg

holy crap, nice. thank you

Just noticed it looks like the axe has slots for upgrade gems etc?

now that you say it it does look like upgrading paths, constellations maybe?

fake edit: late follow up lol

Sales of Ascension were worse than GOW despite having the best combat and visuals of the series. It wasn't a spent force but it was going down that path. SSM were clearly done making the same game for the 7th time and wanted to be inspired by what was next. So now GOW is doing something new but you have to all remember it's being helmed by the best director the series has ever had and the same combat designers of 3,4. It isn't going to be Ryse it's going to be GOW. When they have a chance to show off more of the combat that isn't the beginning tutorial you will all find that a lot of your concerns though valid are unfounded.

I completely agree. Cory is the man. If he tells me it is going to be great I believe him.

Shame Carson isn't back though.

Top Bottom