• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google fined record 2.42bn euros ($2.72bn) by European Commission

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
To me this is like saying a grocery store can't promote its own brand of milk. If I walk into the store I expect them to try and sell me their stuff first.

EU seems to view companies as utilities which seems strange to me.

I wonder how you could retaliatory force google to provide a fair search result of their own services, they write the algorithms. Their other services are also insanely popular.

If you have a 95 % marketshare normal rules don't apply anymore. Because users have no choice anymore and are exploited as a result (their data in this case).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yup.
then you are just let the hardly regulated Chinese corporations swing in and eat all the pieces..

Why would you think the european commission would have any issue fining Chinese companies, while it's fining an american company?

Are they seriously being fined for advertising their own shopping service WITHIN Google Search? How is this remotely illegal? Do they understand that Google Search is a service made by Google and not some god given right.

Can Facebook also be fined for advertising their own shopping services within Facebook?
No, they are not fined for that. If they had run regular ads everyone can buy, this wouldn't be a problem. But they position Google Shopping above all other results by default, which is the problem. Read the ruling, it's pretty clear why the fine is given.

johnny956

Are they seriously being fined for advertising their own shopping service WITHIN Google Search? How is this remotely illegal? Do they understand that Google Search is a service made by Google and not some god given right.

Can Facebook also be fined for advertising their own shopping services within Facebook?

This sums up how I feel about this, how is this any different than a store advertising their own products instead of third party products?

When you basically own the market you cannot manipulate the market with your own products. If a grocery store owned the entire market and did what you described they would get fined as well. It happened with Microsoft in the 90's and ATT in the 80's

jelly

It's strange no matter how clear it's written and explained people still think big mean EU picking on US companies. Amusing but also disappointing. Good on the EU for having the regulations and balls to protect the marketplace and consumers. Shame if you have a problem with that.

Say Google decides they want to be Amazon, the sheer weight they throw around and the push through their services makes it unfair. You can't compete with that which is why you need to watch how they do business and take on complaints from others to see if they are doing wrong.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Basically.

It's pretty obvious what's going on. EU is just trying to milk money from US companies.

So, according to you, the EU should have no say in what companies do on EU territory if those companies don't come from the EU?
American companies can completely ignore laws because, well, they are from the US.
Is that what you are saying? Cause that is what you are implying.

Theonik

lol, right.

Not like Google isn't doing some shady shit.

Nope. This is all for Greece.
I wish this was for Greece. Can we start a fund?
It will be like a swear jar but for anti-trust lawsuits.
And once we hit €300bn we use the money to bail out Greece.

Basically.

It's pretty obvious what's going on. EU is just trying to milk money from US companies.
Those damn US companies like Philips, Daimler, Volvo, Saint-Gobain, Telefonica and more! I don't know why I even try anymore.

Sorry, you can't advertise in your own store, you're abusing the market. Now give us $2.7 billion, you make too much money anyways.
Yes, when you are the only store, then pushing your own services there can be abusing the market.

And lol, if the EU wanted Googles money, they would use tariffs or higher taxes for that, not a 7 year anti-trust investigation.

ayeorkean

Sorry, you can’t advertise in your own store, you’re abusing the market. Now give us $2.7 billion, you make too much money anyways.

tuxfool

Banned
I better not catch any of you people that are complaining about this ever set foot in some thread complaining about the state of US broadband.

Fantastapotamus

Yes, when you are the only store, then pushing your own services there can be abusing the market.

And lol, if the EU wanted Googles money, they would use tariffs or higher taxes for that, not a 7 year anti-trust investigation.

I've given up trying to explain to people what anti-trust is irl. Because usually somebody just answers "I've just googled "XYZ" and this thing didn't turn up so this 7 year investigation is clearly wrong".
It's like trying to explain to people why scientists can't definitively say that vaccinations don'T cause autism. Some people just don't want to understand how the world works.

Skoen

So many Simple People not even reading the article in the OT and then going on defending Mega Corporations...

The sheer amount of stupidity some of you possess is mind boggling

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Sorry, you can’t advertise in your own store, you’re abusing the market. Now give us $2.7 billion, you make too much money anyways.

Okay, driveby-es are starting to get to me. It's ridicolous. Read the damn thread.

inner-G

Banned
So many Simple People not even reading the article in the OT and then going on defending Mega Corporations...

The sheer amount of stupidity some of you possess is mind boggling
I read the article

It's THEIR OWN search results from their own website

The EU government has no rights to tell them what they can and can't say. Google doesn't have to be objective. If EU wants to make the internet shitty for google, then google should make the internet shitty for EU. You are not owed or entitled to anything from them. They do not have a duty to provide you search results, they are a corporation that you are choosing to use the services of.

So what's your opinion on the record fines of VW and Deutsche Bank by the US?
Don't know/didn't pay attention. VW cars have all been junk for the last 20 years though, so I'm not surprised they got fined for something

No wonder America is in its current state looking at this thread.

So many consumers in here stanning for huge corporations abusing their monopoly. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Much of the liberal wing of GAF is usually very liberal until it comes to their own taxes and defending American corporations abroad. Then it nearly turns Reaganite.

It's an actual constant.

And some gaffers were mad at me when I mentioned the board was a bit too conservative for my taste lol. Luckily I'm not the only one thinking that way. Thank you.

I read the article

The EU government has no rights to tell them what they can and can't say. Google doesn't have to be objective. If EU wants to make the internet shitty for google, then google should make the internet shitty for EU. You are not owed or entitled to anything from them. They do not have a duty to provide you search results, they are a corporation that you are choosing to use the services of.

Don't know/didn't pay attention. VW cars have all been junk for the last 20 years though, so I'm not surprised they got fined for something
If a company has pretty much a monopoly, they can't just do what they please anymore, because it is very easy to abuse that position.

Google has no duty to provide search results, but they have the duty to follow the law, and in this case they broke it by being anti-competitive.

Just because I have a choice to not use a service, doesn't mean that company is free to do whatever they want. I also don't have to buy a ton of products, yet we have laws about how those are produced, what they can contain, what labels they need, etc, etc.

WinFonda

so... what are the other comparison shopping sites/tools? i don't see them mentioned... do they just mean other search engines?

I honestly never used comparison shopping till I used Google's

ViviOggi

Basically.

I read the article

I can't believe you're actually doubling down after that godforsaken Idiocracy post

Goodbye left hemisphere

TimmmV

According to whom, who sets the gold standard for when something is wrong or right when we talk about Policy and regulation. Governments and Politicians change all the time and with so do their policies and regulations

Reality does.

Listen, I'm not saying you cant be entitled to your opinion, but the whole "all opinions are equal" logic is trash. Plenty of people have opinions that are wrong

* Except for Google. Believe it or not Google is an exception to the rule of who needs who. Unless you want to spend the rest of your days using Tor and DuckDuck you're going to interact with a google service in some form.

I don't want my Internet regulated, sorry i just dont

That isn't the internet being regulated, its Googles business practices, they're different things.

Your "i don't want my internet regulated" point of view doesn't really reconcile with your blindness towards letting Google have so much control over how it works in practice

I also want net neutrality - and that includes any one company having the ability to abuse their monopoly over how it works in practice. I would extend that to POV to Amazon too, hopefully the EU are looking into them as well

Fantastapotamus

I read the article

[screaming internally]

IISANDERII

I read the article

Thanks for the uninformed opinion.
4bUV7Ls.gif

I read the article

Hang on so you're saying Google CAN make the internet shitty? But yet, it's objective and can do whatever it wants? Don't you see the problem in this?

If EU wants to make the internet shitty for google, then google should make the internet shitty for EU.
How do you come up with this line of thinking and not immediately see how powerful of a monopoly Google is, by implying it can make the internet shitty for a whole continent?

So if a Internet provider has a monopoly on a certain area of the US and suddenly decides to make the internet shitty for you by decreasing bandwidth, increasing prices, and telling you to "use it or go fuck yourself", you would be ok with that?

TimmmV

How do you come up with this line of thinking and not immediately see how powerful of a monopoly Google is, by implying it can make the internet shitty for a whole continent?

Well said.

So if a Internet provider has a monopoly on a certain area of the US and suddenly decides to make the internet shitty for you by decreasing bandwidth, increasing prices, and telling you to "use it or go fuck yourself", you would be ok with that?

Can't constrain that invisible hand!!

Between some of the comments in this thread and the CNN resignations one... Has NeoGAF successfully been infiltrated by far-right grassrooters?

tuxfool

Banned
Between some of the comments in this thread and the CNN resignations one... Has NeoGAF successfully been infiltrated by far-right grassrooters?

No. It is still mostly left wing people who fail to grasp the concept of hypocrisy.

Much of the liberal wing of GAF is usually very liberal until it comes to their own taxes and defending American corporations abroad. Then it nearly turns Reaganite.

It's an actual constant.

This needs to be quoted again, for it is very accurate.

Fantastapotamus

In all honesty, the "leave OUR multi-billion dollar conglomerates alone EU" sentiment is both sad and eye-opening. If the US decided to fine VW for breaking US laws you wouldn't see anybody here yelling how the US is just jealous and wants to be mean to the EU.

Edit: Actually I shouldn't say that. There may be such people here as well.

Nordicus

so... what are the other comparison shopping sites/tools? i don't see them mentioned... do they just mean other search engines?

I honestly never used comparison shopping till I used Google's
Already an example I posted in last page, TripAdvisor for hotels
Google does it so Google Reviews take up that spot despite not having 1/10th of the reviews

johnny956

I read the article

Yes the EU government has those rights just like the US government has done the same thing in the past. When a company becomes a monopoly the same rules don't apply anymore because they can manipulate the market to their benefit. If Google had 50% market share they probably wouldn't have been fined for it. I can't believe people are defending this crap.

Just because you think VW is trash doesn't negate the reverse was happening with fines. It just makes your argument look like a troll

In all honesty, the "leave OUR multi-billion dollar conglomerates alone EU" sentiment is both sad and eye-opening. If the US decided to fine VW for breaking US laws you wouldn't see anybody here yelling how the US is just jealous and wants to be mean to the EU.

VW did get fined in the US just this year.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-43-billion-us-payment-over-diesel-emissions

Here's inner-G's great take.

frontovik

Banned
Sounds like a necessary move since Google is not playing by the rules. Governments need to clamp down on corporations abusing the market, so good on the EU for that.

Volphied

Seeing all these mental gymnastics performed in the defense of megacorps and monopolies, it's no wonder that Trump got so many votes.

Americans love and worship their neo-feudal masters.

TimmmV

VW is a big enough brand there will probably be people defending it just due to brand loyalty

I don't think you would find a 'EU patriot' type who is equating it to economic warfare or anything though

Top Bottom