• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Only got halfway but I thought that it was mostly strong.

Pitchfork's review is harsh, Jesus. They apparently hate the concept of the Gorillaz.

Only got halfway but I thought that it was mostly strong.

Pitchfork's review is harsh, Jesus. They apparently hate the concept of the Gorillaz.
If you think that's bad you should see how they treated decent Weezer albums.
Make Believe, a solid album got a 0.4

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Trying to make sense of Pitchfork reviews is the definition of a fool's errand.

Im aware, just interesting to look at.
Though Plastic Beach is an amazing album so I can't blame em
and every bit as good as Demon Days

Truth.

Honestly think Humanz is the best though...

Also. Busted and Blue is incredible. Literally can't rate this album though I do think Momentz is my favorite.

Sadsic

album is decent with some really fun songs... doesnt hit me anywhere near as hard as earlier stuff tho

i listened to the whole album on spotify for the first time and then a random demon days song came on and that was 10x better to me than this whole album

the thing i dont like about this album is how lacking the production is - sounds like everything is uncompressed and depowered

also a lot of the songs are way way overcrowded in ways they dont have to be

the best songs on the album to me are the less crowded songs like andromeda, busted and blue, hallelujah money, ticker tape etc

Veal

Great album! Really liked how it flowed together in one sitting. Charger and Momentz have been getting repeated and Hallelujah Money continues to grow on me. It's not touching Plastic Beach to me, but is a great effort nonetheless.

IC5

After my first listen, my impression is that everything about this album is simplified and more inline with mainstream sound, than past albums. A lot of this album sounds similar to a lot of tossaway songs, made simply to boom and be serviceable a dance club.

Most notable to me, is that the lyrical melodies are not nearly as good as past albums.

album is decent with some really fun songs... doesnt hit me anywhere near as hard as earlier stuff tho

i listened to the whole album on spotify for the first time and then a random demon days song came on and that was 10x better to me than this whole album

the thing i dont like about this album is how lacking the production is - sounds like everything is uncompressed and depowered

also a lot of the songs are way way overcrowded in ways they dont have to be

the best songs on the album to me are the less crowded songs like andromeda, busted and blue, hallelujah money, ticker tape etc

I had the same feelings for Plastic Beach, but ended up Liking it quite a bit. The reason you like Demon Days better, is because you know it. While I don't think Humanz is my favorite, (thats either the First Album or DD) It has some solid tracks.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to have much of a theme or focus. It just kind of meanders around with collabs, they dont really fit together.

Exodust

Banned
I think you've completely ignored what I said in the post you're quoting.

I think I addressed it with my first point, by saying that DD and PB(the two last Gorillaz albums before this one) sound similar to each other to me. Which is probably what people mean by the Gorillaz sound. I then added to that point with my own opinion and anecdotal experience talking about it.

Moonkid

Why do we place so much merit into Pitchfork? Music reviews in general always struck me as the least useful anyway bar discovering new music/releases you may have missed.

Going to give more spins to the album before I make anything out, but I'm blown away by the quality of the bonus tracks.

Busted and Blue is just wow. It left the strongest impression so far.

Jaroof

Well, I'm addicted. I can say, with confidence, that I like this album more than Plastic Beach. It's damn good!

Andromeda is still my favorite. I've literally had that song stuck in my head all day, and I don't even care.
Like others, I didn't initially like Hallelujah Money when it first came out, but given context with the rest of the album, it's not nearly as bad. Not a favorite, but I can see how it fits.
We Got the Power grew on me, as well.

I'm gonna have trouble putting this album aside, and that's exactly what I'd hoped for. To me, Gorillaz is back.

That said, I do wish there were a few more tracks with no features. I did dig their unique, solo tracks.

NotLiquid

Sex Murder Party is like a version of Broken that I actually like.

Never enjoyed that song in Plastic Beach. Felt like a mandatory filler track to pace the album between On Melancholy Hill and Sweepstakes. Feels like the idea of a moody trip rock track is much better done here.

Demon Days is still their peak. Humanz has a lot of great singles on it but I honestly don't enjoy it as a full album listen. The structure is so oddly flat for a Gorillaz project, it feels like there are far fewer genre influences this time around compared to previous albums (ironically, the most outlandish track is also my least favorite: Hallelujah Money) and the whole thing just feels more like a party playlist that goes on for too long rather than an album.

Highlights:

Ascension
Saturnz Bars
Momentz
Submission
She's My Collar

Also Sex Murder Party is maybe my least favorite Gorillaz song that appears on an LP, which is a shame because I was stoked for the Zebra Katz feature.

SilentRob

I was so sure I ordered the Deluxe Vinyl..but apparently I didn't?! Goddamnit D:

By the way guys, if you really mostly listen to Gorillaz for Albarn's voice. I think this could be more to your liking :)

homepage_large.099546ba.jpg

Also, HOLY SHIT "Busted and Blue". I feel like I'm sitting in some of those apartments in Ghost in the Shell, looking out the window.
vIfHPQn.jpg

I love this. Three listens so far and it just keeps getting better. Momentz, Andromeda, We Got the Power... So good. And Submission is my new favorite Gorillaz-song.

I will never get the love for Demon Days. Apart from two amazing songs (Feel Good Inc. and Dare) it's such a boring album.

After my first listen, my impression is that everything about this album is simplified and more inline with mainstream sound, than past albums. A lot of this album sounds similar to a lot of tossaway songs, made simply to boom and be serviceable a dance club.

Most notable to me, is that the lyrical melodies are not nearly as good as past albums.

I had the same feelings for Plastic Beach, but ended up Liking it quite a bit. The reason you like Demon Days better, is because you know it. While I don't think Humanz is my favorite, (thats either the First Album or DD) It has some solid tracks.

My biggest complaint is that it doesn't seem to have much of a theme or focus. It just kind of meanders around with collabs, they dont really fit together.

I mean, that is the theme though. It's a party at the apocalypse and the entire album is focused on that, some people are reflecting on their life experiences and some people just wanna enjoy the party.

Going to give more spins to the album before I make anything out, but I'm blown away by the quality of the bonus tracks.

Busted and Blue is just wow. It left the strongest impression so far.

Agreed, they're really really really damn good

Demon Days is still their peak. Humanz has a lot of great singles on it but I honestly don't enjoy it as a full album listen. The structure is so oddly flat for a Gorillaz project, it feels like there are far fewer genre influences this time around compared to previous albums (ironically, the most outlandish track is also my least favorite: Hallelujah Money) and the whole thing just feels more like a party playlist that goes on for too long rather than an album.

Highlights:

Ascension
Saturnz Bars
Momentz
Submission
She's My Collar

Also Sex Murder Party is maybe my least favorite Gorillaz song that appears on an LP, which is a shame because I was stoked for the Zebra Katz feature.
Again, that's kind of the theme of the album, though the album itself really isn't that long (clocking in at 1hr9m). I can understand feeling like the songs don't cohesively flow together but I think that's what the interludes are for, and to drive home the theme.

I will agree that there are fewer influences but I think that's just a result of the theme though I personally would have liked to see something more eclectic, I really enjoy what we got.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The album does nothing to me. Just kinda boring.

I thought Plastic Beach was ass too so I guess i'm off the Gorillaz train.

I love this. Three listens so far and it just keeps getting better. Momentz, Andromeda, We Got the Power... So good. And Submission is my new favorite Gorillaz-song.

I will never get the love for Demon Days. Apart from two amazing songs (Feel Good Inc. and Dare) it's such a boring album.
Lots of catchy songs, great guests, easily accessible and digestible, expansive enough to offer something for everybody, simple but memorable song writing, interesting merging of genres and a dash of nostalgia.

Man, the Deluxe songs are so good. I feel like the Deluxe version really just should have been the full album.

Exactly what I was going to say, at least for their sound. I can't attest to how they would fit into the album thematically, but they sound really damn good.

Exactly what I was going to say, at least for their sound. I can't attest to how they would fit into the album thematically, but they sound really damn good.

Just having them where they are would be fine. The Interlude between the normal album and the Deluxe is 'A New World,' so that kind of automatically sets those songs apart from the rest of the songs anyway

NotLiquid

Out of Body definitely deserves to be on a main album rotation even though I'm not sure where you'd fit it in.

The upside about the album structure is that the Deluxe tracks don't feel "lesser" for it.

It feels like this with every Gorillaz release. lol

It's definitely the Gorillaz cycle. I'm in the "I like it not love it" phase. Plastic Beach actually felt like the most cohesive album to me by them despite have several features as well. Part of the reason it's my favorite.

If you think that's bad you should see how they treated decent Weezer albums.
Make Believe, a solid album got a 0.4

Seriously, fuck Pitchfork.

Alpende

Well I received my Deluxe Edition and it's exactly what I thought it would be. Pretty incredible. I'm not sure what that reddit guy was posting, but this is all one object. the artbook houses the records on the outside flaps and it printed on some very heavy card stock. a well done product.

Got mine today as well. Did you get a download card or do they e-mail the code?

Listening through it now for the first time and Strobelite is amazing on the first listen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Got mine today as well. Did you get a download card or do they e-mail the code?

Listening through it now for the first time and Strobelite is amazing on the first listen.

No code to speak of, tho i didn't really inspect closely for one. Ticketmaster is sending me two cd copies of the album anyways if it didn't include one (and yea I think there may have been a digital download to my shipping receipt).

Alpende

No code to speak of, tho i didn't really inspect closely for one. Ticketmaster is sending me two cd copies of the album anyways if it didn't include one (and yea I think there may have been a digital download to my shipping receipt).

Okay, I'll send the official store an e-mail and see what's up.

Tesser

Made the mistake of NOT listening to the Deluxe version of the album. So hearing Interlude: New World for the first time...

....why the hell is this not in the standard version? It's exactly how all the other Interludes should have played out: ninety second/two minute "F-F-FUCK ME" passages that fit within the context of the album. Some of the other Interludes start off interestingly enough but, as you'd expect, they just stop and move on but New World's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for in an "interlude/intermission" track. Odd talking about an Interlude track more than the other tracks, but the combination of lead synth, drumbeat and spoken word/sampling absolutely nails it.

Gorillaz

Think I played submission the most on this album. Definitely one of their best songs in the catalog. Actually up there with feel good even with no damon.

Alpende

She's My Collar is pretty, pretty good too. Really liking it so far. Not too sure about Charger and Carnival though, gotta listen to it more.

jackal27

Banned
My process with every Gorillaz album is to not like it, listen to it a couple more times, and then fall in love with it forever.

DonShula

My opinion is crap. Having said that, I just listened to the entire album during my workout. There were some decent tracks for that specific purpose. But like others said, I really didn't "feel" most of this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom