• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got bitten by a puppy. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killatopak

What country?
Did you have to turn your head and cough as well?

Philippines.

These are the medicine to be administered.

1oyWm9Mh.jpg

LOL. Enjoy your completely pointless rabies vaccine.

It's free *shrug*

Izuna

Banned
when you put all the pictures together.

Fx1kGDQ.jpg

Got bitten around 3 hours ago. It's a laceration. I made it bleed while I doused it in running water for 1 minute. Then I poured 70% alcohol on it and now the wound is closed.
qMDwQev.jpg

Basically this is what I observed before I got bitten:

Muscle spasms a little while sleeping.
Curiously wanting to bite everyone.
Vomitting( I only saw this today).
She likes to sleep under couches( i don't know if this constitutes as being sensitive to light)
1oyWm9Mh.jpg

The wound is class 3... Nurse said I need to be shot 7 times today. This is why you don't listen to arm chair PhD check-ups in gaf.

Add some >>>green text and you got a meme.

Guys, something awful has happened. I was taking a walk in our basement (the outside world is too dangerous from walks), and it was just an ordinary day until it happened... I wasn't wearing any shoes or socks at the time, and there was a mess in the basement from my nephews toys.. I had stepped on a Lego brick. Now that may seem bad to some people, but it gets worse. My right big toe hand landed in the absolute worst possible way on the lego. One of the sharp corners on the Lego (probably the sharpest of the bunch) and stabbed my toe right on the side. It was the most excruciating pain in my life. I immediately fell to the ground and had to just sit there holding my foot for a few minutes before my wife came down the stairs to see what all the crying was about. Needless to say, our house is now a lego-free zone. I told my nephew that he isn't visiting again if he brings any of his toys with. Leave them at home. I'm not going to be able to wear a shoe on my right foot for weeks...

UFO

Banned
She likes to sleep under couches( i don't know if this constitutes as being sensitive to light)

Hold up. Was he also:

Whimpering occasionally.
Following everyone around.
Napping frequently.
Displaying a lack of coordination.

If so that dog might have a serious case of
being a puppy
!

Meowster

mess this might have been the biggest overreaction I've ever seen from a nibble of a puppy fff. Thanks for the entertainment OP. Glad your worries are at rest now too though I can almost 100% promise you you were going to be just fine.

Chumley

Banned
The fact is I don't know if it's rabies or another sickness or if the puppy is just teeting. Basically this is what I observed before I got bitten:

I'm trying to see of she can drink water normally.

My friend got this dog from someone else after that person's dog gave birth. Then my friend stayed with us a week ago until now. I learned that the puppy was a month old. That leaves 3 weeks where I don't know what happened.

Not exactly an insurance but said that since that is the most common in the west. To be specific I have a medical card that entitles me to free expenses on any hospital or doctor's check up no matter what the cost.

If a paper cut sized "wound" from a puppy freaks you out this much, and you don't know anything about dogs (which this post would suggest), I really think you should try and give it to a different owner. If you insist on keeping her, get some books and read up on dogs.

Sigh. I don't want to get laughed and humiliated but here's the wound. Sigh. Gaf sometimes makes me believe I'm ignorant to the world. Well at least I'm not that paranoid anymore. I will still go see the vet though since it's just a few steps away.
Fx1kGDQ.jpg

bless your heart.

If a paper cut sized "wound" from a puppy freaks you out this much, and you don't know anything about dogs (which this post would suggest), I really think you should try and give it to a different owner. If you insist on keeping her, get some books and read up on dogs.
the dog isn't his, thank goodness.

Scotch

You realize they can quarantine the dog for a couple weeks right? If it doesnt exhibit symptoms you dont need the shots.

I'm sure that's true, but still, more than 200 people in the Philippines die every year from rabies. Can't blame the guy for being cautious.

It's numb cause you made it numb sir. Unless the bite is very deep and serious. A bite can hurt a bit but rubbing it like crazy won't help. Simple cleaning would have been ok but I doubt you did that

Zutroy

I would be embarrassed to visit the hospital with such a small wound. Like if you were seriously concerned about an infection or rabies then sure go visit your GP at some point over the next few days, but to waste hospital staff time with such a wound just makes me laugh!

Lorcain

Sigh. I don't want to get laughed and humiliated but here's the wound. Sigh. Gaf sometimes makes me believe I'm ignorant to the world. Well at least I'm not that paranoid anymore. I will still go see the vet though since it's just a few steps away.
Fx1kGDQ.jpg
That's definitely a Class 3 wound alright. For reference, the wound scale starts at 1 (lick) and scales up to 500 (critical hit "gibbed")

I stopped going to the hospitals in china I hk ad a bad cough and was very likely from allergies and dust and have had it a few times

Doctor wanted to do tests for everything but that. So, went hone and got someone to clean under things when it may be dusty whee normal cleaning doesn't get to and started feeling better

You probably did the responsible thing, OP.

I imagine most folks on GAF are coming at the situation from an American perspective. We have one to three rabies related deaths per year in the country compared to the 200 to 300 that happen in the Philippines, so most people don't realize how deadly the disease can be or the fact that it's essentially 100% fatal if left untreated.

If you were here and it happened then, yeah, don't worry about it. For you it's just a couple of shots that don't cost anything so why take the risk.

Radec

I got beaten by my husky when she was a puppy (2-5months old) everytime we play, her first rabies injection was when she was 6 months.

You'll be fine op.

Zoe

Enjoy those 7 shots being slowly pushed into your stomach OP.

I don't think they do all of them in the stomach anymore. My coworker's adult daughter had to get them in her arms, thighs, and butt. She said the thighs hurt the most.

Shadybiz

I don't think they do all of them in the stomach anymore. My coworker's adult daughter had to get them in her arms, thighs, and butt. She said the thighs hurt the most.

Yep, my wife had to get them several years ago (she was scratched up pretty bad by a feral cat), and that's where she got the shots. She didn't think she needed the painkillers the hospital prescribed her.
She needed them a couple of hours later.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I once got bitten by a bat in a Brazilian sewer and I took an aspirin. Which I found in the sewer. Something something millennial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom