• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damodar

jett said:
You're not getting 32 fully-dynamic projected headlights in any racing game this generation. Or ever.

I wonder if they could do it on rally stages where you are the only car on the track. Night time rallying would be awesome.

I wonder if any more cars will make it in the game between now and march. I'd love it if the R8 e-tron was in there :)

jett said:
You're not getting 32 fully-dynamic projected headlights in any racing game this generation. Or ever.

I wouldn't mind if it's only the player's car. There has to be some night races, I think there was a dusk shot in the E3 trailer ? PD are masters at the 3d tricks of the trade. I just want to see what they come up with.

Damodar said:
I wonder if they could do it on rally stages where you are the only car on the track. Night time rallying would be awesome.

I wonder if any more cars will make it in the game between now and march. I'd love it if the R8 e-tron was in there :)
I don´t know what "projected headlight" means, is that some super realistic headlight or what? The WRC series on the PS2 had night stages. Damn hard ones if you ask me.

Don´t Motorstorm have night time races?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
jett said:

Why would they have to be 32bit?

Dirt has headlight projecting light onto the night tracks, don't see any technical reason it's not possible.

And were you serious about "ever"? 32bit (float point) lighting is well within the near future and you could argue that some game light sources are doing it already.

jett

D-Member
Thunderbear said:
Why would they have to be 32bit?

Dirt has headlight projecting light onto the night tracks, don't see any technical reason it's not possible.

And were you serious about "ever"? 32bit (float point) lighting is well within the near future and you could argue that some game light sources are doing it already.

Eh? I said 32 headlights(16 cars on screen), not any of this bit nonsense. :p

There are games with several light sources on screen like Killzone 2, but you need deferred rendering to accomplish that. I'm pretty sure GT5 doesn't do that. Even then most of those light sources aren't dynamic.

spwolf

makingmusic476 said:
I'll be honest, I think GT5's delay has more to do with FFXIII then anything else.

i dont think it is that simple, but it might have made some things easier for Sony. I dont think Sony/PD knew when they wanted/could release it either, so i think people need to back off amar and others, because plans very much could have changed.

Also, i am pretty sure their list of features is moving one, as some feature gets completed, it might be added to the list...

spwolf said:
i dont think it is that simple, but it might have made some things easier for Sony. I dont think Sony/PD knew when they wanted/could release it either, so i think people need to back off amar and others, because plans very much could have changed.
Yeah, there is a lot of stuff at play when deciding a release date, can´t just point at one thing.

spwolf said:
Also, i am pretty sure their list of features is moving one, as some feature gets completed, it might be added to the list...

Yeah, but if they were aiming for a december release the feature list should have been set in stone by middle of this summer and it obviously was not. This makes me wonder how realistic a release this year ever was. Maybe it was wishful thinking at Sony and PDs headquarters, but things did not pan out according to their optimistic scenario and they went for plan B.

Didn't Yamauchi say that GT5 would be more or less like GTPSP in terms of game mechanics? And GTPSP was criticised a lot for its lack of career mode (reviews were harsh sometimes).

What if GT5 was delayed to add a career mode that was not planned in the first place? GT5 can't afford to get bad reviews...

I don't think it has anything to do with FFXIII as we know its release date since a while.

cassiusclay99 said:
Didn't Yamauchi say that GT5 would be more or less like GTPSP in terms of game mechanics?

What if GT5 was delayed to add a career mode that was not planned in the first place? GT5 can't afford to get bad reviews...

He said it'd have some features from GTPSP (probably the Mission Mode carrying over to replace the License Tests), but it's more in line with past GT games overall than GTPSP. GTPSP was meant to be more of a casual experience, while GT5 is for the hardcore GT fan.

Iknos

mrklaw said:
what are you expecting from the 360? won't it just give you the same FFB as a 360 wheel due to limitations on the 360 side? So it'll be compatible but not give you FFB like you'd get on a PC or PS3.

Seems a lot of money to save a bit of space, although if you had a semi permanent cockpit/stand setup it might be worth it.

There is no limitations XID wheels can do the exact same as HID can.

The Porche S wheel that is multiplatform compatible also does rumble along with FFB IIRC. The Clubsport pedals also have rumble in the brake pedal.

I do think it also uses the helical gear technology found in the G27 that gives you quieter yet more solid FFB.

If there's any personal good coming from the March release of GT5 is that by then I'll have the Fanatec wheel ready to go.

This might
WILL
get me crucified, but I think one of the biggest reasons GT5 got delayed (I know, there was no fall 2009 release date, but you know what I mean) was because PD saw the feature list of other racing games and decided they needed more work. I have no doubt that what they had was beyond anything in the competition, but they might have decided to add other features which were missing in their game.

And that, IMO, is an excellent thing. Why not make your game better if you can learn from something else on the market? In India, we have a saying which goes like this, "Never disregard even the lowliest person, because you might learn something from him which you didnt know already." That seems like a very good philosophy to have.

I think PD is going to break the genre of sim racing with GT5... with such a long development time, I think they are going for broke and will do exceptional things to make GT5 the next gen racing game to end all next gen racing games. And anything which makes them push for excellence is good for PD, is good for its consumers and is good for the racing genre in general.

EDIT: I am not trolling GT5, or extolling Forza or NFS:Shift, I am just trying to think of some reasons why the GT5 release date might make sense. If they are truly going for something exceptional, and beyond anything else on the market, why would they not go for broke? I applaud them for their dedication and commitment to make GT5 the best it could be.

I just wish it had released earlier, and other things might have been patched in, but if this is how PD thinks GT5 might be best enjoyed by me and millions other customers who are waiting with bated breath for what is sure to be an excellent game, then I am more than willing to extend my patience for 3-6 more months. More power to PD... I hope they ship a game with the kind of scope they have in mind.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Iknos said:
There is no limitations XID wheels can do the exact same as HID can.

The Porche S wheel that is multiplatform compatible also does rumble along with FFB IIRC. The Clubsport pedals also have rumble in the brake pedal.

I do think it also uses the helical gear technology found in the G27 that gives you quieter yet more solid FFB.

If there's any personal good coming from the March release of GT5 is that by then I'll have the Fanatec wheel ready to go.

I thought that although its compatible, it can't be *more* compatible than the 360 wheel. And the FFB is limited compared to using a porsche or logitech wheel on a PC/PS3 due to the way 360 implements FFB.

lupinko said:
Nah, I think it just has more to do with this little game called Final Fantasy XIII coming out this December in Japan.

Absolutely. There is a big possibility that this is the reason. BUT... if that is the case, is there a possibility that GT5 might release in regions which are NOT getting FFXIII this December i.e. US and EU?

I for one dont think that it is anywhere in the realm of possibility, but wtf do I know? There is still hope... :D

DarkJC

iamcool388 said:
Absolutely. There is a big possibility that this is the reason. BUT... if that is the case, is there a possibility that GT5 might release in regions which are NOT getting FFXIII this December i.e. US and EU?

I for one dont think that it is anywhere in the realm of possibility, but wtf do I know? There is still hope... :D

If they were going to release here sooner you'd think they would've mentioned that.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that the game just isn't done. There's no conspiracy theory behind it, they just aren't done doing what they want with it.

SolidSnakex said:
I don't know why it's so hard to believe that the game just isn't done. There's no conspiracy theory behind it, they just aren't done doing what they want with it.

I dont wanna be snarky, but...

impatience01.jpg

I cant wait man. I'm leaving USA for good in December, and I have no idea how often (and how promptly) i'll be able to get games in India. So I fully admit that I have extremely selfish reasons for GT5 to come before the 18th of December. But if it takes longer to make a better game... PD, take your time. I'll wait... and i'll get your game first day, some way or the other.

bud

gamespot:

On Saturday, September 26 (in Japan), GameSpot will be heading to Polyphony Digital to check out more of GT5 and talk with series creator Kazunori Yamauchi. If you've got a question or two about the game, put it in the comments below, and who knows, we just might be able to get it answered on your behalf.

Ooh, they're actually going to PD? I wonder if PD will let them see any other tracks? I know some guy on GTPlanet went there and Kaz asked him if there was a track he wanted to race on (he picked the Ring) and Kaz loaded it up.

The weird thing about GT is how the journalists NEVER ask the right questions, or even insist on having proper answers. They spend 15 minutes with PD and can't even get any proper answer, not even one!

That's the reason why there are so many rumors about the game: no journalist ever asked: "Will there be damages on every car? How many of them? Will they be costumizable? How many different tracks (without the variations)? Weather? Nights? "

And ask again when Kaz starts his famous conditional bullshit glory: "We are trying very hard to make our fantasies into the final game...it s all a matter of priorities... but with the help of God, one day, GT will be exactly how i dreamt it 15 years ago...we were 7 you know... no sleep...no eat...and that day, the tracks will be locations... that happens with GT5...or maybe in an update... cause we can update things you know... and then the weather will be on the list... much earlier than you think... so be it.Good bye."

I wonder if there are conditions before the interviews like: no question about this and that.

Can some journalist answer this?

BTW: if only someone could ask the guy about the tearing. We want 100% smooth animation in GT...as it has always been.(I ve played GT5 in paris... and there is still sensible tearing...)

The weird thing about GT is how the journalists NEVER ask the right questions, or even insist on having proper answers. They spend 15 minutes with PD and can't even get any proper answer, not even one!

That's the reason why there are so many rumors about the game: no journalist ever asked: "Will there be damages on every car? How many of them? Will they be costumizable? How many different tracks (without the variations)? Weather? Nights? "

And ask again when Kaz starts his famous conditional bullshit glory: "We are trying very hard to make our fantasies into the final game...it s all a matter of priorities... but with the help of God, one day, GT will be exactly how i dreamt it 15 years ago...we were 7 you know... no sleep...no eat...and that day, the tracks will be locations... that happens with GT5...or maybe in an update... cause we can update things you know... and then the weather will be on the list... much earlier than you think... so be it.Good bye."

Is this considered extremely rude in Japan? (disregarding an answer and asking the same question)
I know this is a western way of getting information from people, but in Japan I suspect this would be considered rude and disrespectful. Or maybe I'm just ignorant here?

gtmax

cassiusclay99 said:

I wonder if there are conditions before the interviews like: no question about this and that.

Can some journalist answer this?

I've been complaining about this for years. There are so many inconsistency to the series and no one ever brings it up to them.

Why have you never addressed the AI? Are they not programmed to recognize you on the track?

WHy could you not ever do a proper donut? Are you modeling cars at the expense of physics?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
theignoramus said:
Is this considered extremely rude in Japan? (disregarding an answer and asking the same question)
I know this is a western way of getting information from people, but in Japan I suspect this would be considered rude and disrespectful. Or maybe I'm just ignorant here?

I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but somebody ask them some fucking direct questions for once!

m0dus said:
So I have been absolutely agonizing over whether or not to sink my monay into a fanatec porsche 911 Turbo S clubsport wheel and a Rennsport stand. The issue is NOT the cost, however; I'm looking for a premium wheel for my PS3 and 360, as well as occasionally the PC. The need for 3 way compatability rules out the G25/G27.

My question is, has ANYONE here ordered from Fanatec? the fact that they have no contact numbers on their site makes me wary.
Yeah, I just spent £500 with them. :O

Do what I do when you're unsure about a company. Mail their customer services about the product before you order... see how fast they get back to you. I mailed them twice and both times got a reply within 2 hours.

Edit - @Post above... Don't do that shit, it's seriously out of order.

-x.Red.x- said:
FUUUUU

this or PSPGo day one

will this offer last? anyone think it might get cheaper?

That wheel is actually coming from Electronic Expo. The Amazon price for that wheel is 109. But yeah, it'll probably go down in price from both of those places by the time GT5 is released.

-x.Red.x-

SolidSnakex said:
That wheel is actually coming from Electronic Expo. The Amazon price for that wheel is 109. But yeah, it'll probably go down in price from both of those places by the time GT5 is released.
I noticed that too
think its E3's leftovers or "used" wheels

Imma wait a little longer then hopefully by nov it will drop at least 10 and ill bite

thuway

iamcool388 said:
This might
WILL
get me crucified

I essentially agree with everything you just said. This is now why Forza has a place in my heart. At first I really didn't care for it, but fuck did they bring features along that blew the roof out of the place with this third installment.

Sony realized, PD realized, KY realized, and I even think the fans realized GT has humongous shoes to fill. How does Sony make the definitive Nascar and WRC game? The experiences have to be unique and tailored to their makeshift.

If they included that bumper car wheely dealy shit and released this year, it would have been chaos. Competition is always good, I guess we should thank Turn 10, not only for putting out a great title, but for making my beloved franchise work to strive to meet its quality.

thuway

offshore said:
Well, if it means the AI is getting upgraded in that time, then that's something...

NO MORE BUMPER CARZ PLZ. Seriously someone hammer that in.

And gamespot better ask about weather.

bud said:

Somebody post these questions on there:

- How have you gone about improving the racing aspect in Gran Turismo 5; have you worked hard to improve the artificial intelligence to make them behave in a more realistic manner?

- GT5: Prologue featured the Ferrari F12007 can we expect more modern and classic formula one cars from different constructors like McLaren, Brawn GP, Lotus, etc in the game?

- You’ve acquired the license to the World Rally Championship, how is it represented in the game?

will it have:

- pace notes from the co-driver
- point to point rally stages from each country
- full damage (body, mechanical and tyres etc)

And will we have the ability to build our own rally stages?

-Will the game feature dynamic weather effects and a day/night cycle?

- Do you have any plans to include the motorbikes that we saw in GT HD (E3 06) and the Isle of Man TT course in GT5?

offshore

On the UK GT site, the list on the Japanese site has been put up, and it says GT5 the release has been announced as March 2010, but doesn't mention that this was Japan only.

For the sake of clarity

Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 5 Release Date and Updated Information Announced

Last Updated : Sep 24, 2009

At the Tokyo Game Show held from Thursday, September 24, the release of Gran Turismo 5 has been announced as "March 2010".

Also, a feature enabling you to carry over cars gained in Gran Turismo for PSP® (on sale October 1st) to GT5 was also introduced.

Other latest information regarding Gran Turismo 5 announced at the show are as listed below.

Cars
- Over 950 Cars

Courses
- Over 20 Locations
- Over 70 Variations

Physics
- New Physics
- Overturning of cars
- Damage
- Movable objects on the course
- The newest Hybrid cars and electric cars

Arcade Mode
- Single Player
- Split Screen 2 Player

GT Mode
- World Map
- My Garage
- Car Dealer
- Tuning Shop
- Championship Race
- License Test

- Open Lobby
- Text / Voice Chat
- Private Room
- Online Photo Album
- Online Replay Album
- Export of replays to YouTube

Photo Mode
- Photo Drive
- Photo Stage

Gran Turismo TV
- Improved UI
- Export of video to the PSP
- Progressive downloading

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/gt5/d10595.html

thuway

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Somebody post these questions on there:

- How have you gone about improving the racing aspect in Gran Turismo 5; have you worked hard to improve the artificial intelligence to make them behave in a more realistic manner?

- GT5: Prologue featured the Ferrari F12007 can we expect more modern and classic formula one cars from different constructors like McLaren, Brawn GP, Lotus, etc in the game?

- You’ve acquired the license to the World Rally Championship, how is it represented in the game?

will it have:

- pace notes from the co-driver
- point to point rally stages from each country
- full damage (body, mechanical and tyres etc)

And will we have the ability to build our own rally stages?

-Will the game feature dynamic weather effects and a day/night cycle?

- Do you have any plans to include the motorbikes that we saw in GT HD (E3 06) and the Isle of Man TT course in GT5?

I garuntee you the guy at Gamespot probably reads this thread more than he does their comment section :lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom