• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xater said:
So damge on all cars after all? Why can't they just tell us? ARGH!

Seriously the game is out in 6 months, tell us something!
Yeah, that´s pretty interesting, could that be what we get by waiting 3-4 months extra?

Absoludacrous said:
Man...March is...so long away. I was so convinced of that December date, I'm pretty crushed now.

Honestly debating picking up GTPSP now.

Might as well, and by the time GT5 finally arrives you should have a sizable garage of cars built up(If they will still allow car sharing). Pretty much the only reason I'll be picking up GTPSP.

I wouldn´t mind if they let the Japan release become a giant beta-test like they did for GT5 Prologue. In addition they will be able to complete a few more cars and tracks before the Western release.

The keynote was about to start just as I was leaving for work last night(PST)

... only to come back home in the morning to a GAF Meltdown :lol

Funny, as I was driving to work last night I was thinking "imagine if they say spring 2010, oh the meltdowns would be epic"

though I was one of those who was crossing fingers for an '09 release ;_;

*sighs* well atleast theres alot of games to hold me back for the next 6 months. racing games or otherwise (I still have games that I bought 2 years ago that I havent played yet :lol )

If GT5P is any indication Japan's GT5's 03/10 release can very well be a 'preliminary' debut with a Western release starting at a 'Spec-II' upgrade. Use Japan/Asia (and us importers =P) to get feedback from there to make a more 'complete' package for the rest of the world. That said, it might not get a Western release at least until summer =/

At this point all I can expect from the Tokyo Motor Show next month is for PD to introduce new Japanese car models to be available for GT5 (and GT PSP...?) and maaaybe the Detroit Auto Show (or Los Angeles Auto Show? but that's just right after TMS) to do the same thing for new American cars.

offshore

Does anyone remember what day of TGS in 07 that PD had their 5P press conference? I would be awesome if I went to bed and woke up in 8 hours up to discover that in the middle of the night PD had their own PC and showed off some features...

But it is startling how the community manager of a rival game is providing us with the most info.

So I hereby volunteer myself to be PD's community manager :D

belvedere

Junior Butler
offshore said:
Does anyone remember what day of TGS in 07 that PD had their 5P press conference? I would be awesome if I went to bed and woke up in 8 hours up to discover that in the middle of the night PD had their own PC and showed off some features...

But it is startling how the community manager of a rival game is providing us with the most info.

So I hereby volunteer myself to be PD's community manager :D

I understand that they're overseas, but they still fall under Sony's 1st party umbrella. Plus with this whole internet thing, there's no reason we can't get even some basic questions answered.

J-Rzez

Goldrusher said:
• 730 premium / classic cars (now 950 cars)
• 20 tracks, 60 varations (now 20 locations, 70 tracks)
• museum
• head tracking
• 1080p 60fps
• up to Dolby 7.1
• custom soundtracks

Those were in the previous list.

That many cars is absolutely insane. The visuals look incredible, fucking a, I mean look at the door jams even, wow. Damage looks "par" for the course so far. 7.1 is of course full of win. The barriers and shit getting thrown around on the track was something else, even it was affected by the lighting when on the windshield/roof of the car. Top Gear Test Track is a killer bullet point for me lol.

But, March, in Japan? Way to ride the fail whale Sony. This should've been out this Dec. You want to set it back to March? Fine. World Wide release. There is absolutely NO excuse for the expected months of difference it will take until we get it here in the states and in eu. This is bullshit, and they better fix it.

They could've heavily competed with the competition. GT5 would stand on it's own no problem. If what is said of MW2 is true, and it's more of the same with a couple more bells and whistles, MAG could've easily stood up to it as well. Don't get me wrong. Uncharted 2 will be the first thing handed down by God since the commandments, and Ratchet will be fucking awesome, but Sony had a real opportunity to lay the wood this holiday.

Xater

belvedere said:
I understand that they're overseas, but they still fall under Sony's 1st party umbrella. Plus with this whole internet thing, there's no reason we can't get even some basic questions answered.

It's really not a good show of them to be this tight lipped so far into development.

Xater said:
It's really not a good show of them to be this tight lipped so far into development.
PD needs to unleash the 'Translator Guy' and let him speak for them more often...if anything, make him the PD Western community manager or something...he's becoming quite a meme already, might as well put him out there...let him embrace and bask in his new-found fame :lol

Taking in consideration the amount of time between GT5P and GT5, more than 2 years, I'm gonna get very angry if this doesn't turn the ultimate racing game of all times.

Seriously, GT5P is great, except for the lack of tracks/cars and the physics/damage. I don't know why are they waiting so much...

offshore

I think if we knew what the extra 3-4 months were being spent on, we'd be a bit more understanding about why it's missed Xmas...but I find it baffling as to why Sony have decided to put in Q1 2010, which is now arguably more cluttered than Q4 09.

Of course that's assuming that it's a WW release...it's easily conceivable that NA and EU releases are still 9 months away :|

mr_nothin

Banned
offshore said:
I think if we knew what the extra 3-4 months were being spent on, we'd be a bit more understanding about why it's missed Xmas...but I find it baffling as to why Sony have decided to put in Q1 2010, which is now arguably more cluttered than Q4 09.

Of course that's assuming that it's a WW release...it's easily conceivable that NA and EU releases are still 9 months away :|
Why is everybody saying missed December 2009 like it was always planned for 2009?

Goldrusher

EschatonDX said:
Is there a place where I could view the whole GT5 featureset as it is right now?
cars:
• more than 950 cars
○ confirmed new brands: Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Tesla
○ confirmed new series: NASCAR, WRC

tracks:
• 20 locations, 70 tracks
○ returning tracks: High Speed Ring, Fuji, Suzuka, Nordschleife, Le Mans, Tokyo R246
○ new race circuits: Top Gear Test Track, Daytona, Indianapolis
○ new road circuits: London, Eiger, Madrid, Tuscany
○ new rally circuits: Tuscany

offline features:
• single race, 2 player splitscreen
• time trial
• garage, car wash, oil change
• license test, championships
• photo mode (circuit & locations)
• GTTV (compatible with PSP)

online features:
• private rooms, lobbies
• text & voice chat
• photo and replay album
• YouTube replay output
• time trial rankings

other details:
• car tuning
• damage, affects handling, roll overs
• up to 1080p 60fps
• up to Dolby 7.1

release date:
• March 2010 (JP)

menu:
• Arcade, Online, Dealer, GT mode, Status, Theatre, Options, Manual​

119qej6.jpg

That's about it, I think.

i-Lo

I was wondering whether this is a logical approach since GoW3 is also launching in Japan during March? Given the fact that GT is far bigger franchise in Japan than GoW3 and that the March release date is only in Japan, I think it does mitigate or exacerbate the problem somewhat, depending upon which boat you choose to sail in.

I do know that technically it's not a delay since the devs never announced the release date. However, would this longer than expected break may cause the devs to sink in more time into damage modelling and upgrading the net-code (one of the GT5P's weaker area)?

Also, do you guys reckon that being a huge game, GT5 should build on the game itself rather than drop support and go for developing another massive project like GT6, post GT5 launch? I was wondering how many members here think that it would serve the devs and customer base alike to adopt a business strategy akin to Burnout Paradise?

- Thanks and take care.

Xater

aryanr said:
Also, do you guys reckon that being a huge game, GT5 should build on the game itself rather than drop support and go for developing another massive project like GT6, post GT5 launch? I was wondering how many members here think that it would serve the devs and customer base alike to adopt a business strategy akin to Burnout Paradise?

- Thanks and take care.

For the PS3 they should just support this game imo. GT6 should be a project for next gen imo. That's of course if all the stuff really is in the game that we "know" of.

offshore

mr_nothin said:
Why is everybody saying missed December 2009 like it was always planned for 2009?

GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 5’s release window has just been set to March 2010 for Japan, according to Kazunori Yamauchi at the TGS press conference. This, unfortunately, runs directly counter to everything that we’ve heard so far from a wide variety of sources for nearly an entire year:

November 30, 2008 – Sony executive in Europe mentions GT5 will “arrive at Christmas” during an interview with a financial magazine.

June 4, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states: “We can release Gran Turismo 5 whenever we want.” during E3 interview.

August 2, 2009 – GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was well within 2009).

August 22, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states that “GT5 will be released shortly after this date [October 1st]” during an interview.

August 23, 2009 – Printed material distributed by Sony at the GamesCom 2009 conference clearly indicate the game will be released during the fourth quarter of 2009.

As well as other things such as Kaz laughing off a 2010 release date, saying it would come sooner than expected, GT5P, GT4, GT2 and GT1 having all being released in December in Japan, Peter Dille saying they already have a GT5 commercial.

Maybe FFXIII stole its potential release date or something, who knows, but I don't think anyone can deny that there was subtantial evidence pointing to a 2009 release.

AndyD

aka andydumi
aryanr said:

- Thanks and take care.

GT5P has shown that its a relatively open platform. They can add stuff easily in large patches/expansions.

So I would say they will most definitely work on GT5 for the foreseeable future, and add stuff to it, and shift to GT6 only when a new console is out.

They can add tons of cars, tracks, motorcycles, offline and online modes, challenges and so forth. They can also improve both the engine and the netcode post launch as GT5P and the patches have proven.

It could be that they wanted to avoind going head to head with FF13 in December in Japan. But going head to head with a slew of other games in NA and EU in March/April may also be tough. Which begs the questions, will it come to EU/US in December still and later in Japan, in a reverse move of FF13?

I am really ,really dissapointed that it doesnt make it for 2009.

I know it hadnt been announced with a firm date but ....those rumours ,Yamauchi saying it would follow GT Portable soon after ....I was nearly sure it would make it.

Now 2010 is overcrowded with games ....

This morning ,when I read this ,it ruined all the TGS for me ....and the fact they didnt announce too much (Ape Scape ,some motion games ,White Knight 2 ...thats all) didnt lift my mood.

Ups ,I edit because looked the OP ......well how to say it ?At least with some months left until release the game will be refined to perfection to be the best racing game out there when it comes to the market.

expy

Banned
Could GT5 still be set to release late 2009 for N-A/Europe while it will be delayed until March 2009 for Japan? I'm taking to account the Final Fantasy XIII effect in Japan, it might hinder the sales of GT5 in that region during the holidays.

Massa

Xater said:

Well, it's not like PD knows anything about selling a game, right?

People need to chill. Some developers bombard you with pre-release media, others don't (Rockstar with GTA comes to mind). If you don't trust them to make an excellent game pick something else to look forward to.

dork

Banned
i dont want to troll forza or any other racing game

i just have to say you guys knew this was going to happen. the fact that they showed it at E3 and every single person crapped their pants like it was a new game, its ridiculous. Until they give you an actual date or the game goes gold, you all should just know its never coming out

expy

Banned
dork said:
i dont want to troll forza or any other racing game

i just have to say you guys knew this was going to happen. the fact that they showed it at E3 and every single person crapped their pants like it was a new game, its ridiculous. Until they give you an actual date or the game goes gold, you all should just know its never coming out
Wut.

TylerD said:
Che's information was great but he messed up one thing.. the 458 Italia IS playable. That is all, thanks for the info Che!

I wonder if "stuck in the hotel room all day" is code for explosive diarrhea? :lol
he got worms

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I still cant believe that people keeps talking about the other game even when bishop warned us/them.
ITS ON THE OP PEOPLE!

TylerD

To me, the release of GT5 is kind of following the pattern of GTPSP as the time of release announcement to actual release date goes ~ 5 to 6 months. I would think that we will get a slow but steady stream of information about GT5 leading up to the planned release date in kind of the same way as was done with GTPSP.

There is so much we haven't seen and know next to nothing about. I want to know the depth of the NASCAR and WRC implementation. If they have the licenses and don't do anything special with them it will be a huge shame.

spwolf

expy said:
Could GT5 still be set to release late 2009 for N-A/Europe while it will be delayed until March 2009 for Japan? I'm taking to account the Final Fantasy XIII effect in Japan, it might hinder the sales of GT5 in that region during the holidays.

i cant not see that happening at all...

expy said:

IF this were to be true... and that is a HUGE IF... then it'd be one of the biggest swerves of public emotion on GAF in recent history. The celebratory pics being posted and the gif flood will be legendary.

I want it to be true just so I can see people here collapse while mumbling gibberish and holding Kaz's photo in a worshipful manner. :lol :lol

Ranger X

iamcool388 said:
IF this were to be true... and that is a HUGE IF... then it'd be one of the biggest swerves of public emotion on GAF in recent history. The celebratory pics being posted and the gif flood will be legendary.

I want it to be true just so I can see people here collapse while mumbling gibberish and holding Kaz's photo in a worshipful manner. :lol :lol

Man i'd almost pay to read the thread if that happened. :lol

jett

D-Member
gutterboy44 said:
Amazon.com still has December 29th up. Please Amazon be correct. I can only play so much GTR Evolution.

I'm sorry to crush your dreams, but if GT5 is released this year there's no conceivable way it's going to miss the pre-xmas season.

ghibli99

iamcool388 said:

3 months before Japan? Don't hold your breath. I'm thinking May/June in the US at the earliest. I don't even think they're going to deliver on March in Japan at this point based on their track record so far.

-viper-

Banned
well.. at least we HAVE a release date. March 2010 isn't that far away. By no time GT5 will be in our hands!

Too bad we aren't getting ANY info. But at least the graphics look nice :\

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
jett said:
Damage is something that been tacked on late into development, for sure.

Amar needs to get punched the wind out of him.

This I don't understand. The fanbase is there, the fanbase never cared about damage... smooth riding, great car models and slick menus. That's all they needed to release to make people happy.

For a long time Yamauchi bragged about not minding whatever competition GT might have had were doing and now they are delaying an overly delayed game just to compete bullet point-for-bullet point?

I don't understand it.

Anyways, is the January motorshow the next possible venue for GT5 info?

By the way, who is Amar?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Anyways, is the January motorshow the next possible venue for GT5 info?

The Tokyo Motor Show takes place on October 24th. GT/Polyphony are sponsors for it. In 07 they announced the Top Gear tie in with GT5 as well as unveiled the intro for Prologue there. And the SEMA show takes place on November 3rd. Although I wouldn't expect any actual news on the game there. But there could be a new demo.

Bitmap Frogs said:
By the way, who is Amar?

Amar is a poster here who also posts at GTPlanet. He has contacts and gets good information from the inside. Right now people are bashing him (unfairly imo) because his previous post on rumors wasnt accurate, but I do hope everyone realizes that his 'wind' analogy could also be taken to mean March 2010. Look at the original interpretation post on GTPlanet, the only date they bold is March of 2010. Also, a LOT of things he said earlier have indeed come to pass.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-rumors-you-can-trust/

Amar has been a friend of the GT fanbase for a long time, and as far as I know has never intentionally tried to pull wool over our eyes. We should calm down with the rhetoric here.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Wow... yeah I was disappointed not to learn more as well at this TGS, but it's up to Sony to reveal features etc. as they see fit.

The series has done well (understatement) so far with their marketing philosophy so I doubt this iteration will do worse. Especially considering the success of Prologue.

You guys complaining are a bit spoiled and impatient.

-Amon-

iamcool388 said:
Amar has been a friend of the GT fanbase for a long time, and as far as I know has never intentionally tried to pull wool over our eyes. We should calm down with the rhetoric here.

I fully agree with this.

*Pokes head in*

Don't forget the other Sony exclusive coming out in March which we don't want to cannibalize.

(MLB The Show 010)

*Pokes head out*

offshore

templeusox said:
*Pokes head in*

Don't forget the other Sony exclusive coming out in March which we don't want to cannibalize.

Heavy Rain: Where players will strip Madison naked and not feel guilty about it

*Pokes head out*

And they will...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom