• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
TylerD said:
To me, the release of GT5 is kind of following the pattern of GTPSP as the time of release announcement to actual release date goes ~ 5 to 6 months. I would think that we will get a slow but steady stream of information about GT5 leading up to the planned release date in kind of the same way as was done with GTPSP.

There is so much we haven't seen and know next to nothing about. I want to know the depth of the NASCAR and WRC implementation. If they have the licenses and don't do anything special with them it will be a huge shame.

Not to mention the models will all be old. Are we going to get the '10 models for those to? How about the F1 car? '07 as the latest for a game that releases on march of 2010?

I really feel that internally they were expecting this game in 2009. I think it was a legit delay that not even SCEWW was counting on it.

It will make me feel better if they include dynamic weather. For years KY said the reason GT still didn't feature things like damage was because he would only put it in the game when he thought it was good enough. Then after public pressure, they decided to put damage the way they could (not perfect, far, far away from this). So i hope they take the same approach with dynamic weather, putting it in the game the best way they can instead of waiting for PS5 and GT8 to do it "perfectly".

Also, i can't believe TGS is gonna pass without a proper PD conference, like they did it in 2006 and 2007. Let's hope for the best, because right now it's just a huge question mark on everything related to the game, nothing is clear.

Okay GAF, I know you all will laugh at this, but is GT5 a rent or buy
for me
?

I hardly know anything about cars, so I don't know if I could really get the full enjoyment out of this game with all the tuning/tweaking available, but it just looks so fucking incredible! :D

What say you?

CrayzeeCarl said:
for me
?

I hardly know anything about cars, so I don't know if I could really get the full enjoyment out of this game with all the tuning/tweaking available, but it just looks so fucking incredible! :D

What say you?
Rent it, and if you like it enough, buy it :D

its pretty obvious that they are giving GTmobile all the time and attention it need on a new platform for it to succeed and Sony knows that it doesnt matter when GT5 come out, it gonna sell millions. This is what you called "Deceived the heaven to cross the sea" in the old book. :lol

Melfice7

CrayzeeCarl said:
for me
?

What say you?

GT's are usually a encyclopedia of cars and their history and have in depth explanations of what every tuning part or option does, you'll be fine if you want to learn :D

i say buy

offshore said:
GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 5’s release window has just been set to March 2010 for Japan, according to Kazunori Yamauchi at the TGS press conference. This, unfortunately, runs directly counter to everything that we’ve heard so far from a wide variety of sources for nearly an entire year:

November 30, 2008 – Sony executive in Europe mentions GT5 will “arrive at Christmas” during an interview with a financial magazine.

June 4, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states: “We can release Gran Turismo 5 whenever we want.” during E3 interview.

August 2, 2009 – GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was well within 2009).

August 22, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states that “GT5 will be released shortly after this date [October 1st]” during an interview.

August 23, 2009 – Printed material distributed by Sony at the GamesCom 2009 conference clearly indicate the game will be released during the fourth quarter of 2009.

As well as other things such as Kaz laughing off a 2010 release date, saying it would come sooner than expected, GT5P, GT4, GT2 and GT1 having all being released in December in Japan, Peter Dille saying they already have a GT5 commercial.

Maybe FFXIII stole its potential release date or something, who knows, but I don't think anyone can deny that there was subtantial evidence pointing to a 2009 release.

This why I'm still holding out for a December NA/EU release. In addition to all the stuff KY was saying, there were also a few European retailer leaks as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
H_Prestige said:
This why I'm still holding out for a December NA/EU release. In addition to all the stuff KY was saying, there were also a few European retailer leaks as well.

Why would the west get it before Japan?

DuckRacer

Kagari said:
Why would the west get it before Japan?
This. Every single GT game has been released in Japan first, with the US/EU versions coming 2-5 months afterwards. There's no reason to literally reverse that pattern.

Also, another thing not mentioned by GTP was ListenUP practically stating the game would release this year. This whole situation is a mess.

edit: FFXIII pushing back GT5's release makes some sense, I guess.

H_Prestige said:

All GT has launched in Japan 3-4 months before than in US/EU. I doubt this to be an exception. So I'll bet for a early summer release.

So is this the denial stage of the grieving process?

It's not coming out this year, they aren't going to stealth release GT5. Even if they were scared of FFXIII (which I doubt), there's still plenty of time to release it before March that avoids that date.

It's March or later in the US/Europe, my guess would be April/May to give GoW3 some room.

Double H

The obligatory TGS Polyphony Digital studio tour is going down tomorrow, probably with a QA session. David Ellis mentioned on ListenUp he was going, so you're more than welcome to spam him questions.

Rody

I'm not sure if they just randomly placed it in there, but you can definitely hear a different sound for the tire squeak in the SLS video (0:27). Hopefully they have changed it.

Any technical minded person know if GT5's lighting is fully dynamic?
I've heard someone argue that PD simply bakes the lighting into the cars.
(apparently this was done in GT4?)
I find this hard to believe.

DuckRacer

expy said:
What about GT PSP?
1. Released

2. Who cares about GT PSP
emot-colbert.gif

evolution

Im interested in knowing what that new track is in the italia trailer. It looks like the Tuscany track shown in other videos, but with tarmac instead of on dirt.

offshore

I guess it's not completely out of the realms of possibility that the West gets GT5 in December and then FFXIII in March (the month Wada alluded to); while Japan gets FFXIII in December, and then GT5 in March....though a December western release would have been announced at E3, or GamesCom....it seems too late to announce it now if it was going to happen.

Although I guess it's irrelevant, as didn't Kaz say that the extra time was needed? Pretty much rules it out.

So in the end I'm just left puzzled as to how a game that Kaz said was being polished and would be released "shortly after" the PSP version, could still be at least 9 months out for US/EU.

EDIT: Looking at PD's software list, every main version of GT, including 5P, in the US and EU has outsold the Japanese version.

I think the West is entitled to getting GT5 before Japan :D

i just noticed in GT5p when you crash into a barrier by spectators they start to cower & shit before you hit:lol

lost over half my progress and more than 2/3 of my cars when my ps3 broke, my backup wasn't that up to date :(

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Loudninja said:
Because your constant whining wont change anything.
Not to mention it's freaking annoying. Geez, go to the other thread if you want to bitch about shit that won't be changed.

Hah, I don't think that's true. If you could pull off lighting like that by baking it, everyone would do it.

WOW at the fucking defence force, are you guys always on?

You can't say anything negative about Sony, PD or GT5 in this thread or it's considered trolling.

Zaptruder

Banned
theignoramus said:

GT3 and GT4 lighting had prebaked elements, yes.

GT5 car lighting is entirely shader based and dynamically lit.

Track lighting is unsure; it would make sense to bake track lighting if dynamic time of day and weather conditions don't make it into the game... but they've been talking about it, so it's possible that all lighting is dynamic.

edit. I wouldn't have been pissed if March 2010 was a worldwide release but the fact it might take until Summer or the Fall does, and how little to no media we got from 2 major events in territories where the franchise is huge and the game is playble at these events.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Rapping Granny said:
For what, seriously?

You're more then welcome to give negative criticism about GT. It's just that when you have all this in a span of one day...

Taking a half a decade to get 1 game done, no one asked for 900 cars, while the competition will have 2 games under their belt and some time to spare until GT5 comes.

I am buying the competition, the big deal is that it's taking 5 fucking years for a sequel to come out for my favorite series because of an incompetent developer that thinks he's the second coming of christ.

WOW what a clusterfuck, Sony and PD have no fucking clue what they want from this game and it shows.

"1000 cars with some damage, no wait, 950 and all have damage. no wait premium cars have damage but no interior damge, no wait...HEADTRACKING, use that, no wait take it out."

You know you fucked up really bad when the first and only impression of your game was written by your competition.

lol this is just fucking sad, Sony really needs to do something about this fucking studio.

exactly. enough car shows,finish the fucking game.

And Sony, stop being such pussies.

...some might call it enough, ya know?

jett

D-Member
Zaptruder said:
GT3 and GT4 lighting had prebaked elements, yes.

GT5 car lighting is entirely shader based and dynamically lit.

Track lighting is unsure; it would make sense to bake track lighting if dynamic time of day and weather conditions don't make it into the game... but they've been talking about it, so it's possible that all lighting is dynamic.

The tracks in GT5P have some prebaked elementes, I'm pretty sure.

chubigans said:
You're more then welcome to give negative criticism about GT. It's just that when you have all this in a span of one day...

Well, what's there to talk about? it's not like this is the media blowout we were all hoping to be.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Rapping Granny said:
Well, what's there to talk about? it's not like this is the media blowout we were all hoping to be.
Cant think of anything productive to add? don't post.

I think if everyone followed this simple rule, the world would be a much nicer place.

DarkJC

FootNinja said:
Cant think of anything productive to add? don't post.

I think if everyone followed this simple rule, the world would be a much nicer place.

Yeah tell me about it. I like how they used "nothing to talk about" as a justification for tons of whiny posts. If there's nothing to talk about, why keep posting about the same issues?

Shit wasn´t ready.

I think it´s as simple as that, they thought they would be ready for a december release with the feature set in the list they flashed during GamesCom, but at the time they came to realise they would not get to the quality they were aiming for.

They rewrote the feature list to be more consistent and better reflect what was possible and pushed the date forward 3-4 months.

Perfection takes time. :D

Zaptruder said:

I thought I remember reading the buildings in London have prebaked shadows, I don't think it would be a deal breaker. I won't notice.

PD please release a night photo showing headlight projection, dynamic time of day or not.

offshore said:
GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo 5’s release window has just been set to March 2010 for Japan, according to Kazunori Yamauchi at the TGS press conference. This, unfortunately, runs directly counter to everything that we’ve heard so far from a wide variety of sources for nearly an entire year:

November 30, 2008 – Sony executive in Europe mentions GT5 will “arrive at Christmas” during an interview with a financial magazine.

June 4, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states: “We can release Gran Turismo 5 whenever we want.” during E3 interview.

August 2, 2009 – GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was well within 2009).

August 22, 2009 – Kazunori Yamauchi states that “GT5 will be released shortly after this date [October 1st]” during an interview.

August 23, 2009 – Printed material distributed by Sony at the GamesCom 2009 conference clearly indicate the game will be released during the fourth quarter of 2009.

As well as other things such as Kaz laughing off a 2010 release date, saying it would come sooner than expected, GT5P, GT4, GT2 and GT1 having all being released in December in Japan, Peter Dille saying they already have a GT5 commercial.

Maybe FFXIII stole its potential release date or something, who knows, but I don't think anyone can deny that there was subtantial evidence pointing to a 2009 release.
I'll be honest, I think GT5's delay has more to do with FFXIII then anything else.

Remember, there was going to be an announcement about GT5 at GamesCom, but it was pulled last minute. We then discovered at roughly the same time that SE planned to announce the release date for FXIII on September 8th.

Remember, up until his point, we had countless retailers leaking a December release date for GT5, including bundles, the works. Then SE announces a December date for FFXIII, and GT suddenly gets pushed back, despite countless leaks about a 2009 release date. Even the brochures at GamesCom said 2009.

You don't want the ps3's two biggest games ever in Japan dropping within a week of each other.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are you expecting from the 360? won't it just give you the same FFB as a 360 wheel due to limitations on the 360 side? So it'll be compatible but not give you FFB like you'd get on a PC or PS3.

Seems a lot of money to save a bit of space, although if you had a semi permanent cockpit/stand setup it might be worth it.

Jube3

m0dus said:
So I have been absolutely agonizing over whether or not to sink my monay into a fanatec porsche 911 Turbo S clubsport wheel and a Rennsport stand. The issue is NOT the cost, however; I'm looking for a premium wheel for my PS3 and 360, as well as occasionally the PC. The need for 3 way compatability rules out the G25/G27.

My question is, has ANYONE here ordered from Fanatec? the fact that they have no contact numbers on their site makes me wary.

Yea a few people in the forza thread picked one up and are said to get it next week (if i remember right). Impressions should be popping up soon. Im jealous that looks like a really fun combo to play with.

jett

D-Member
Death Dealer said:
PD please release a night photo showing headlight projection, dynamic time of day or not.

You're not getting 32 fully-dynamic projected headlights in any racing game this generation. Or ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom