• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
olimpia84 said:
I thought the headtracking with the PS Eye was confirmed? :(
It was confirmed at GamesCom by flashed feature list, but unconfirmed by lacking in feature list presented at TGS. All very confusing.

Awesome gif BTW.

Awesome news of weather and day night cycle, kind of expected that, but nevertheless great.

WTF no interviewer asking about details of WRC and NASCAR races, massive fail.

Goldrusher

His smile says it all, really. And the Tréluyer interview pretty much confirmed it...

Anyway, added IGN's video:

new screens/previews/interviews

• new screenshots
• Gameblog.fr studio tour
• jvn.com interview (interviewer here is professional racer Benoît Tréluyer!)
• Joystiq interview (motion controller lol)
• Gamespot Q&A
• IGN interview video

new facts

• European/USA release is up to the marketing dept.
• game is finished from a "take a car and drive" perspective, still needs some work to career and the actual game
• damage will be improved with deformation, but don't expect "total loss crashes", GT isn't about that (even though they can already do it)
• day/night cycle is in
• rain is in
• a very precise G-force meter is in (see jvn.com video)
• tire wear & tire temperature are in
• (visual) car tuning affects the physics
• drag racing is a possibility
• no plans for motion controller support
• they are working on something with the PlayStation Eye, can't go into detail yet​

BeeDog said:
Grasping straws. :p

It might say a lot. Notice that he has the similar reaction when they ask him about head tracking. It sounds like they're testing the rain and day/night cycles (he bought that up on his own) to see if it'll actually work properly without causing major performance issues.

BeeDog

Goldrusher said:
http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/interview-gran-turismo-5-r-eacute-v-eacute-lations-exclusives.html

On a ainsi pu apprendre que le jeu possèdera bien un cycle jour/nuit et qu'il sera – enfin – possible de courir sous la pluie.

(rough translation: We have learned the game will have a day/night cycle and it will - finally - be possible to drive in the rain.)

Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir ! Barabadi-ba-da-ba-di!

I know man, but still, I'll believe it when I see it (wary of future disappointments).

Doc Evils

BeeDog said:
Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir ! Barabadi-ba-da-ba-di!

I know man, but still, I'll believe it when I see it (wary of future disappointments).

neogaf1.gif

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
It might say a lot. Notice that he has the similar reaction when they ask him about head tracking. It sounds like they're testing the rain and day/night cycles (he bought that up on his own) to see if it'll actually work properly without causing major performance issues.

Well, good observation. But if it's the possibility of performance issues that holds it back, it means we probably won't see it as the graphics engine is strained enough as-is.

BUT, if adding awesome rain effects means dropping the fps to 30 fps for the duration of the race, I'd personally gladly accept it. Make it rain, motherfuckers!

BeeDog said:
Well, good observation. But if it's the possibility of performance issues that holds it back, it means we probably won't see it as the graphics engine is strained enough as-is.

BUT, if adding awesome rain effects means dropping the fps to 30 fps for the duration of the race, I'd personally gladly accept it. Make it rain, motherfuckers!

Those things are more important than an extra polygon or two. I hope they sacrifice the graphics in order to put dynamic weather. Every GT fan wants that, they should know better.

BeeDog

seattle6418 said:
Those things are more important than an extra polygon or two. I hope they sacrifice the graphics in order to put dynamic weather. Every GT fan wants that, they should know better.

Definitely not. A huge part of the game's current identity is its awesome graphics, cutting it down to add rain wouldn't work at all, people would just use that to rag the hell out of the game.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mckmas8808 said:
What is a G-Force Graphic?

It shows you current G-forces acting on the car, lateral Gs in turns, forward Gs in braking and rearward Gs in accelleration. It can be used to let you know if you are braking too hard (too much weight shifts forward, thus losing grip on rear tires) turning at too high speed (too much lateral G-force) or too low speed (not enough G force). It also helps in picking and tuning the car, tires and so forth.

TylerD

Loudninja said:
Glad this glad cleared up finally.

Yep, this is my favorite news of the day! I am also a big fan of the possibillity for night/day and weather.

edit: WTF? I guess we don't know until we actually see them or a list of them. What about the IGN video interview?

Somebody needs to ask this question with a damn diagram. Draw 20 boxes for the locations with 70 rough track diagrams spread out through them with a big ?

:lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
H_Prestige said:
He said there would be a sequel to Gran Turismo PSP, but GT6 for PS3 is anyone's guess. I'd rather it be for PS4 though. The pumped up hardware could render GT5 bullshots in game.

But the bullshots aren't really that bullshotting. I'd like a GT game on the PS4 to look BETTER than the best bullshots.

mckmas8808

Goldrusher said:
His smile says it all, really. And the Tréluyer interview pretty much confirmed it...

Anyway, added IGN's video:

new screens/previews/interviews

• new screenshots
• Gameblog.fr studio tour
• jvn.com interview (interviewer here is professional racer Benoît Tréluyer!)
• Joystiq interview (motion controller lol)
• Gamespot Q&A
• IGN interview video

new facts

• European/USA release is up to the marketing dept.
• game is finished from a "take a car and drive" perspective, still needs some work to career and the actual game
• damage will be improved with deformation, but don't expect "total loss crashes", GT isn't about that (even though they can already do it)
• day/night cycle is in
• rain is in
• a very precise G-force meter is in (see jvn.com video)
• tire wear & tire temperature are in
• (visual) car tuning affects the physics
• drag racing is a possibility
• no plans for motion controller support
• they are working on something with the PlayStation Eye, can't go into detail yet​

Possible Drag Racing? WTF?!?!?! Where was this said?

mckmas8808 said:
Possible Drag Racing? WTF?!?!?! Where was this said?

IGN video.

Anyway at the end of the IGN video he says that while there is an online mode they're also spending a lot of time on the offline mode also. They feel that it's a very important part of the game.

mckmas8808

AndyD said:
It shows you current G-forces acting on the car, lateral Gs in turns, forward Gs in braking and rearward Gs in accelleration. It can be used to let you know if you are braking too hard (too much weight shifts forward, thus losing grip on rear tires) turning at too high speed (too much lateral G-force) or too low speed (not enough G force). It also helps in picking and tuning the car, tires and so forth.

Oh this is great then. Maybe driving in GT will be a bit easier now.

mckmas8808

SolidSnakex said:
IGN video.

Anyway at the end of the IGN video he says that while there is an online mode they're also spending a lot of time on the offline mode also. They feel that it's a very important part of the game.

WOW!!! If they put drag racing in, it will be a Minute 1 purchase for me. I remember when Need for Speed did it, LOTS of people loved it.

ashbash159 said:
GT4 had drag racing did it not? It wasn't anything special. In my opinion.

It wasnt even proper drag racing. Plenty other racing games had drag racing in the form of tournament style heats, which GT4 didnt have.

Plus, theres online this time around, so it could work better.

It may not be your cup of tea, but dont ruin it for the rest of us who want it >:|

fu3lfr3nzy said:
It wasnt even proper drag racing. Plenty other racing games had drag racing in the form of tournament style heats, which GT4 didnt have.

Plus, theres online this time around, so it could work better.

It may not be your cup of tea, but dont ruin it for the rest of us who want it >:|

Sorry, it wasn't meant for me to anger anybody.

:(

ashbash159 said:
Sorry, it wasn't meant for me to anger anybody.

:(

I should've put jk instead of the lol emote ¬_¬

GT4 just didnt expand on it, so I can understand why some dont care for it. For me, I've played drag racing on other racing games and some call it shallow or arcadey, but in the end, it was good ol' fun :D

jett

D-Member
Tryckser said:
Sidequestion, too much to read:
Are the Trees 3D or Bitmaps? I don't want to degrade the graphics, I am just interested :)

The tree barks in the Tokyo track look 2D to me. I don't know about the branches and shit.

TTP said:
What about the birds on them? Do they animate?
GT5 not only has ~1000 cars but also 1000 birds?

Well, back to my question, I don't really care about it, I never look much at the surroundings in a racing game, but I was having a discussion on another board ;)

I don't, but I also don't get whats so wrong about the question. In some Threads there are comparison Screens with NO difference and some guys talk about it 10 pages... Or some people claim they know it when the frames drop from 60 to 59... etc... so I think a question like mine is pretty valid ;)

AndyD

aka andydumi
Tryckser said:
I don't, but I also don't get whats so wrong about the question. In some Threads there are comparison Screens with NO difference and some guys talk about it 10 pages... Or some people claim they know it when the frames drop from 60 to 59... etc... so I think a question like mine is pretty valid ;)

I did want to say that the landscapes are 3D modeled to a certain distance past the track edge and then turn into a 2D background image. Look at the El Capitan map posted in the past few pages and you can even see the rough polygons of the ground to a certain distance aroudn the track, then presumably it goes to a 2D backdrop in the distance.

As to trees, some look 3D some 2D. Looks like Goldrusher has it somewhat covered. I guess depending on placement they use different qualities, as no one can see or care about a tree in the distance or its quality level.

AndyD

aka andydumi
mr_nothin said:
Wasnt someone just asking for a Hood Cam?
1st confirmation or what?

Looks like the camera is at the top of the windshield, rather than on the hood level and below normal eye level. Nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom